Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: The Thanksgiving Lesson: Thanks for another wonderful tale

Communities > Forums > Article: The Thanksgiving Lesson
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Thanksgiving LessonReplies: 5, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #8235757

Hi Sharran
I always enjoy your stories but the Thanksgiving tale was one of the best! I reckon I might have turned into a vegetarian if I had had a pet turkey that had ended up on family dinner table! I'm better off growing veggies - they don't make a fuss at harvest time.
Thanksgiving Day celebrations were never a part of our family until we moved to this continent. The idea behind it is really lovely and will hopefully remind generations of families of how fortunate they are to be enjoying food in abundance.

Thanks for sharing your stories with us,

Sabine
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #8235874

Thanks for joining me again, Sabine!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2010
10:15 AM

Post #8236009

Sharon,

I must have missed this one the first time around, or maybe it's because I DO NOT TURN ON THE COMPUTER on holidays (if I can help it), but it is a lovely story. My mother had a rule for us that we had to eat one bite of everything served. At least I did. I think by the time my baby brothers came along she was so relieved to have them eat anything that the rules relaxed considerably. But I learned to eat a great many interesting things from my mother. I did become a vegetarian at one point but that was more sociological and political and not enjoying the taste of meat so much.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2010
4:06 PM

Post #8236529

Carrie, thank you!

I never ever got really used to the taste of meat. I eat fish, and occasionally I've eaten chicken. The fish I like and continue to eat it, but not so much the chicken. That doesn't mean I don't fix it for others, it just means I rarely if ever eat it.

I hope you are ready for the Christmas holidays, and I hope the holiday season is good to you.
Thanks again.
wvgrows
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #8236536

I've said it before: if there's a Sharran story, I always read it!
Both my children, and their families, are vegetarian. My 83 year-old dad no longer wishes to eat meat, either. Yet, my mother still cannot understand that most of the family is NOT eating meat. (Still a 15# turkey and no one taking home leftovers...)
I plan to share this with her so she might have a glimpse of an alternative view.
Again, Sharran, keep this stuff coming and definitely post when the book is reality!
Bobbi
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #8236580

Bobbi,
Thank you so much!

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season.
Stay warm and stay well.

Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Thanksgiving Lesson Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful! adinamiti 15 Nov 30, 2008 6:56 PM
What a lovely family you have!!! frostweed 2 Nov 27, 2008 6:19 PM
Gobble Gobble phicks 1 Nov 27, 2008 6:20 PM
Enjoy today Susie2 3 Nov 27, 2008 7:07 PM
Beautiful Story! BennysPlace 2 Nov 28, 2008 2:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America