Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Has any one used this heat mat?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 5, Views: 147
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #8237646

I ordered one off ebay and will be giving it a try here pretty soon. The price is good, but I am concerned that it will only last for a couple years at most.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heat-Sprout-Seedling-Heat-Mat-Germination-3-Sizes-/330495808600?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item7dbbc815a2#ht_785wt_1028

Dogs_N_Petunias
Cleburne, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8367596

Have you been pleased with this heat mat? Looks like a great price but sometimes I've learned the hard way that "you get what you pay for," so would really appreciate some feedback on this.

Thanks.
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8373583

It has been great! I am going to get another one, but this time I will get it w/ the controller (or whatever they call it). It does get really hot and heats up the soil to about 30*F above air temp. This has been really good for those seeds that need to stay around 80* to germinate. I just hope it will last for more than one year. The down side is that it is not water proof and needs to be kept dry around the connectors. Other than that it is great. I just have to keep everything in a tray to water and I would do that anyway.
seedheatmat
Issaquah, WA

February 23, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8389056

Hydrofarm brand is the most sought after. It is available at Amazon.

General info on the use of seedling heat mats is featured at http://www.seedheatmat.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-seedling-heat-mats/

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 24, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8390770

I am cheap, my heat mat is on top of my fridge, tv and where else it gets warm. Seeds don't care where the heat comes from. Also, most seeds that need heat do well with 75F.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8393747

i think the hydrofarm is good heat pad as well.. but im cheap too..LOL
i have couple spare big aquariums..so i have water in 8" couple of submersable heaters.. then elevated
tray and seed pots on that... lights on top of aquarium.. its good for keeping humidity up..and temps stay around
78F my tomatoes did great germinating..
dreaming for sping.. it snowed here..again.. sigh

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America