Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand Up: No Fuss for Me

Communities > Forums > Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand Up
bookmark
Forum: Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand UpReplies: 1, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sadaajit
Walnut Cove, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #8237811

I have a Thanksgiving cactus and I've never done anything special for it and it blooms without fail every Thanksgiving. As a matter of fact it has blooms all over it right now. I've always considered it one of my no fuss plants and can't imagine going through all the gyrations everyone here does to get it to bloom.

Not only that, I have it in a SE facing window in full sun and that is the only window it likes. It has quadrupled in size since I put it there. When I had it in indirect light it just never did take off.

It has been moved all over the country, the pot dropped on the floor, overwatered, underwatered you name it and it just continues on without one complaint. It has never had a pest or disease, even when a heavily infected plant was right next to it (didn't see the problem for awhile).

I've often thought of getting rid of my other more picky plants and replacing them with holiday cactus, because I find them to be no work at all. I don't set temperatures back, no bag or closets, nothing. I'm amazed at the lengths people go to get there's to bloom. Sure glad mine likes being watered once a week and fertilized when I think about it.
clareb
Missoula, MT
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2010
1:13 PM

Post #8237863

Amen. And ditto (even the moving around the country and breaking the pot open on the floor).

I have five holiday cactus and have found the exact same results from benign (or perhaps not-so-benign) neglect. These plants live indoors year-round and are next to S or SW windows (~47degN latitude, Montana). They do get over-sunned in the summer if the sun isn't blocked in the afternoon (which is done to help keep the house cooler anyway).

I've also found that they don't mind being pot-bound and only re-pot them when absolutely necessary.

These are bullet-proof, gorgeous plants.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Will the Real Christmas Cactus Please Stand Up Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I want one! KyWoods 6 Apr 8, 2008 3:11 PM
Thank so much doccat5 1 Dec 19, 2007 2:49 PM
Great article roadrunner 6 Apr 8, 2008 3:06 PM
Cool temps also will cause budding tommyr2006 9 May 4, 2011 6:24 PM
I have one older DaBenDan 3 Dec 9, 2011 7:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America