Photo by Melody

Weather: December Weather; HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 217, Views: 1,015
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 1, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #8238666

Still some wind.

Woke at 5 AM, went to painting.
Rooms will be done & back to some normalcy today.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #8238703

Thank you Bernie, I'm rarely first :o)

Adina, how wonderful!! Keeping busy cooking will help the day go faster. I can't wait to see pictures of everyone holding the "Little Lion!" He will be so excited!!

Have a wonderful day off!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #8238842

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

Adina have a great time! I bet your excited, I hope that ice has melted!

Celia glad you had a good birthday, roses, Outback, SWEET!

It's cold here, sunny and cold. Supposed to warm up to the mid 50's I think though.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #8238853

Here's what we did last Sunday. I raked this section of the property...

Thumbnail by crissyr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #8238855

Dave had the blower out before I raked that and did this much with the side of the house...

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #8238856

But we still had this to do...

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #8238860

So I threw a fit and told Dave that I cannot rake that whole thing and to let me use the blower. He wouldn't let me use the blower soooo he came out and blew the front, picture directly above this post and he lit a fire and we burned...

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #8238865

We ended up doing the whole acre and got done just before dusk! I am still sore LOL

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #8238867

One of the neighbors horses came out to watch us. This is Wildfire.

Thumbnail by crissyr

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2010
9:12 AM

Post #8239082

A very apt name for him! LOL

31º with 39º for the high. Hasn't been this warm in days.

Thanks, Bernie.

Adina! Ice storms are no fun. How are the doggies taking it?

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #8239491

Chrissy, love the ''fit!'' That IS a lot of raking and there was no reason not to keep adding extension cords till it was done, LOL! But it's a good sore! Wildfire is beautiful! I love the paints!

Celia, soak it up!

We didn't get the sun we were supposed to get. It's 27* and breezy :o(
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #8239689

I love the paints, too. They are my favorite, I think. I am still in Harrison at my daughter's house--or rather I should say I am back in Harrison. I drove home on Sunday but came back up here on Monday. My step-granddaughter, Rachelle, is seriously ill in the hospital at Springfield,MO. I can't remember if I have posted that infor. on this thread or not--I have posted it elsewhere, though, and have a hard time keeping up with what I posted where. I will be here In this neck of the woods for a while or as long as my daughter needs me here. We are taking the little victories one day at a time. Today Rachelle drank 3/4 of her nutritional shake and also drank some gatorade. That is a HUGE improvement for her. Your prayers on her behalf are greatly appreciated.

cold here and colder in Springfield.
Supposed to have been 46F here in Harrison and 41F in Springfield. Don't know if it made it that high or not.
At least it isn't snowing! LOL
redheadclan
Vail, AZ

December 1, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #8239832

We're having a heat wave. It's supposed to be in the upper 70's for several days. Still getting in the 30's at night though, thats what happens when you have no humidity.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #8240013

A little bit warmer today with temps in the low 40s. Sunny and winds were calmer.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

December 2, 2010
3:53 AM

Post #8240416

Sally BP, my dam fills slowly, in thwe wet season. Then empties slowly in the dry season. Soil's too porous so it's only the water table level that does it.

Sally sunfarm, I think low energy is to be expected. I had a friend undergo chemo years back and it knocked her a bit. Couldn't go out in the sun. Getting chemo done in the summer didn't help. But it all came good in the end.

Early Bloomer, I like photographing old ruins and cars as well. Rust, decay and delapidation make great subjects.

Kwanjin, Happy Birthday. We have the expression "outback" here. It's getting used commercially more now, but I live in the outback.

Adina, an ice storm and grandkids, what a time!

Crissy, I don't even want to know about leaves any more. Fortunately it'll be nearly a year before I have to face them again. That's after I finish this last little bit that's still left. I use the leaves for mulch, it stops the heavy wet season rains from eroding the soil.

Marsue, looks like improvement for your step-granddaughter, how old is she?

Yesterday we got monsoonal rain, even though the monsoon is still a fair way off the coast. But it was a steady rain that went right through the night. I got 38 mm (1.49 inches). It brought the frogs out in their droves, the noise was deafening. I got out there amongst them with the camera. Well, with umbrella, torch and camera. I've written up an article with photos about it:
http://cubits.org/crocodiles/articles/view/788/

My pineapples are coming on. I've been promising to set them up in a proper garden but they seem to be still doing okay with the neglect.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #8240440

25* with a high of 38°
A few flurries possible early. Cloudy skies this morning will become partly cloudy this afternoon. Winds light and variable.

Marsue, Rachelle is going to pull thru and make it home. She had a rough patch, but she got up. There will be no stopping her now! Still praying!

Redheadclan, 70's sounds so good! Is it colder there at 70* than in the summer at 70*? I find the nice days here still have a cooler wind in the late fall so the temps can look warm, but be disappointing.

Tropic, we have a water table close to the surface too. If the Cedar River 2 miles out of town is up, so is our water in town.
Loved your article! The pictures are fantstic!
We had pineapple for Thanksgiving. Your's looks delicious! How much bigger will you let it get before you eat it?

It's grocery day and we'll get the last couple of things we need for Christmas.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #8240528

Redhead: 70F sounds wonderful! LOL
EB: as always, your photos are wonderful--no matter the subject!
Tropic: Rachelle is 42. My daughter is married to a man who is 20 years older than she is. He had 3 grown daughters (well, the youngest was still in high school) when they married. Rachelle is the oldest of these daughters and she is just 5 years younger than my daughter. My daughter and her husband have been married for 16 1/2 years now and after a struggle, this family has blended beautifully! Thanks be to God! The girls' mother died of cancer before their father married my daughter. They now call my daughter "Mom" in respect to her position as their father's wife but they truly do love her and me and we love them all! :o))
BP: as always, you never cease to amaze me! "we'll get the last couple of things we need for Christmas." How organized is that! You put the rest of us to shame!

# Today: Partly cloudy. High near 60F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy skies. Low 31F. Winds light and variable.
I wonder how long this 'warm front' will last? :o))
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #8240613

BP the leaf blower is GAS! That's why I got so mad, normally I would just get it out myself but it was out of gas and it's 2 cycle, and Dave didn't have any mixed up and I have no clue how much oil goes into the gas, so I was stuck.

Tropic our leaves are only half down from the trees so we'll have to do it again mid to late December. We'll probably get out there Christmas weekend.

We're sunny and supposed to be 63 today! The warm front is supposed to last til the weekend, but we're only at 20% chance of rain on Saturday, yesterday we were at 60% chance of rain Saturday, so they don't know. LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2010
9:25 AM

Post #8240761

38º for our high today. Partly sunny.

Tropic, all things Aussie are very popular out here. That's why it's nice to see pics and here from you. We get the real story, not the TV version of things.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #8241399

Hey!! How come you Arkansas girls got the warm front and not me?! :~p It's getting colder again here. Low 30s by Sunday and Monday.

Today it was sunny and in the mid 40s. I was sweating some at work. Dressed to warm. lol. Not much of a breeze out there either. Coming home dust from the roads was just hanging in the air. Wasn't going anywhere. No rain or snow in the forcast either. Looks like it's gonna be a really dry winter.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2010
3:30 AM

Post #8241764

22° with a high of 31°
Partly cloudy skies this morning will give way to occasional snow showers during the afternoon. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 40%.

Marsue, I'd love to take credit, but the truth is, we don't go all out on gifting and the family is small. Gift certificates are easy :o)

Chrissy, I wouldn't know how to mix it either abnd you were justified!! That would be so frustrating!

Celia, you said it! We get the real deal from everyone!

Pepper, ROTFL! I'm pretty chilly too!
The story here is, some of the paved roads in Iowa will be reverted to gravel because it's too expensive to maintain them. We have a half mile of paved the road behind the fertilizer plant across from me. Well, seal coated, but it takes a lot of semi traffic. I can see them letting it go. The air going to be so much more filthy if the roads are gravel everywhere! It's dirty enough now!

Ahhh, the furnace is running :o)

We pick the boys up today and take them home Sunday. I will fall behind, but it's worth it!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #8241818

Sorry, Pepper--I'll try to blow some or our warm air up your way (or maybe I should say hot air--cause there is a lot of "hot air" down here in the south! LOL)
BP: lucky you--another week-end to play with the g'kids! :o))

# Today: Sunny to partly cloudy. High 58F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Considerable clouds this evening. Some decrease in clouds late. Low 44F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

Cold front coming in tomorrow with a high of only 38F by Sunday.

check this out--a beautiful photo here:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/firerainbow.asp

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2010
4:42 AM

Post #8241832

Marsue, thanks for sharing. I love seeing the rare, and it was gorgeous!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 3, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #8241834

Cold this morning. About 7º.
Snow coming in today, 7 to 12 inches.

I am sure glad DG doesn't have all the ads. I clicked on the Snopes site above & got the great fat hourglass while all the ads loaded. Frustrating.
Tis' a pretty picture.

Going to check out things that are on an online auction. A big lumber yard going out of business. Preview is today & bidding is Monday.
We need cedar deck boards & DD needs insulation & sheetrock for her house.

I am nearly done with the room at our house. Went to Menards yesterday & got a nice carpet for $82.00. Need to hang the door today. Then just some trim work left to do.

Back to the shop now. Lots of work there.

Bernie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #8242941

Warmed up a bit today, probably into the mid 40s, and sunny. No snow or rain in forcast for the next week. I hope we get some soon. Pretty dry here!!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

December 3, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #8242990

Thanks Sally. Do you have problems with flooding? Lots of people don't realise rivers normally sit within inner banks. But they also have outer banks, within which people often build towns and houses. Katherine, our 3rd largest town sits on the edge of the inner banks of the river, an boy do they get reminded severely from time to time! I let the pineapples get fully ripe before picking. Otherwise they taste like bought ones.

Marsue, was just asking because young kids when they're sick and misaerable are hard to convince to take their medicine. Adults usually know (from their parents) the worse it tastes the better it is for you. At least, that's what my parents always used to say.

Crissy, my trees drop leaves according to the species. Some start early in the dry season but the main, heaviest droppers, do so at the start of the hot weather, the start of the wet season. For a change I've got Christmas off from work this year. So I'll be flat out at home instead.

Kwanjin, I just try to share some of our warmth and sunshine around where it's needed. :O) That cloud picture is fascinating.

Still quite steamy here, the humidity is around but a lot of clear skies with blazing sun. 11AM this morning it's already 33.9C (93.0F), heat index is 43.0C (109.4F). There's a little cloud around but hoping for some rain. Indications for Darwin are 400mm (15.75 inches) over the next 16 days. Don't need that much, but what can you do? Complain about not enough rain, then complain about too much rain.

Last week I was taking a (professional) photographer around. He's doing an article for the Australian Geographic magazine, April 2011 issue. Nothing like getting in early. My camera wouldn't be worth one of his cheapest lenses, or probably even the carry case. Took this photo while taking him around.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

December 3, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #8242996

Another photo, looking downstream from the last one.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2010
12:12 PM

Post #8243974

Beautiful, but rugged, scenery, Tropic! laughing at your camera not being worth what the pro's carrying case would be--mine is probably not worth what the strap on the carrying case is worth! LOL

Rachelle is better today--had some major victories yesterday, last night and this morning! Please keep her in your prayers, though--we are not "out of the woods" yet but making our way there!

# Today: Partly cloudy and windy. High 44F. Winds NNW at 20 to 30 mph.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy. Low 26F. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy skies early will become partly cloudy later in the day. High 39F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 4, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #8244125

Did my snow make it south ? On radar it looked like you were getting it this morning. We kicked it out after we had 2" to 3". Figured that was enough!
Central MN got 8" to 14".
Sunny today, 24º.
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #8244169

Bernie,
I'm in the Quad Cities, and I don't have an official total, but I swear I shoveled at least 5 inches worth!

Then we topped that with some freezing drizzle, just to make it officially winter. ha!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #8244371

Never got any snow here but we sure got the cold!! We barely made it past 32 today and I was freezing!! The sun didn't help either and neither did the bitter wind. Winter is here for sure this weekend!! Brrrr!!!

Did alot of shopping for a familiy we "adopted" and a guy we know who we are helping with some groceries. Hit 6 stores and made 2 pit stops for food and drinks. I didn't wear my coat though I did have it in the car. lol. It felt great in the stores but as soon as we came out we were cold again. lol. We got alot of great deals and it all goes for a good cause so it was worth it.

Gotta clean out keyboard. It's not wanting to type very well.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #8244505

Bernie we had about 3" of Polite Snow.
None on the roads or sidewalks down here.
Driving wasn't too bad.
Well once we got rid of the idiot drivers.
55MPH was very comfortable up north...
regular speeds by the time we got w/in 30 miles of here.

Ric
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

December 5, 2010
3:03 AM

Post #8244822

Marsue, you can put a lot of money into photo gear, which isn't bad provided you getting a lot of money back from it.

It's continuing hot here with only isolated storms. One came through yesterday, just small (in area) but it went right over head. Only got 2.8mm (0.11 inches). Today there was another small one passing more to the north west, although I got 4mm (0.16 inches) from that.

Minimum temperature this morning was 23.9C (75.0F), maximum this afternoon was 36.6C (97.9F). With all the humidity, heat index got up to 49.4C (120.9F) today.

Indications are that the monsoon could roll in this Thursday. The weather bureau has all these models for predicting the weather, but often before the predicted event arrives circumstances change and so does the prediction.

We have a local "storm chasers group" in Darwin. Here's a couple of photos worth looking at.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5206/5231459960_7c4aef100a_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5245/5230894431_27065c4454_b.jpg
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #8245947

COLD!!!! We didn't make it past 32 degrees today though it was sunny.

One of my grandmas had a dog die on her today. Besty was well into her teens and a valued member of the family. We knew her time was coming but she will still be missed. I was gonna post a pic of her but for some reason can't find a good pic of her. Thought I had a few saved. Oh well. She was a shitz shu, light beige color.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #8246605

Good Morning!!

We got into the mid 40's yesterday, same for today, bright sun though! bbbbbrrrrr

Nice pics Tropic!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #8246638

Pepper, sure sorry to hear about the dog. Hurts to lose them.

Glad the DD is doing better.

It's cold here. Snowing. We have about 5" on the ground. Tough on the animals. Got a colt threatening to collic. 3rd time for him. It was 26 this morning with a wind blowing. I hate winter.

No school today. Doesn't affect me since I don't have any kids in school. Mine are grown and live in La.

DH was not able to have his HBO treatment today. There are only 2 techs to run the chamber. One is sick and the other is with her mother who was found unresponsive this morning. Praying she pulls through. He would have had to go in later anyway because the roads were icy.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #8247613

From Mau posted to the other site.

Our beloved daughter, granddaughter, wife, sister, aunt, and friend to many stepped into Glory last night Dec. 5th at approximately 11:37 p.m. Eleven family members were gathered around her bed to bid her "farewell till we meet again" and Godspeed. The Lord was gracious in taking her Home before midnight because today is my own daughter's birthday. Sometime over the weekend Rachelle made the decision that she was tired of fighting and wanted to leave so we released her to go. We are sad for ourselves but not for her. She is suffering no longer.

Thank you for all your love and prayers.

Mau

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #8247681

Sorry to hear about your loss Mau.

For those of you who remember leaflady on here, she had spinal surgery on Friday. I told her to have family call me and let me know she made it thru ok but haven't heard anything yet. Shortleaf is supposed to call the hospital for me ( I'm hard of hearing, hate talking on phones, lol) and find out something. I will let you all know how's she is doing as soon as I hear something.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #8247685

Forgot the weather!!

Cold, but warmer than yesterday. Topped off around 38 or so today. Sunny, mild breeze. Next weekend we will top out at 20 degrees one day with snow. Temps in teens with wind chills below zero. The cause? The storm system battering the west coast. We'll see. lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2010
5:25 AM

Post #8248169

11° with a high of 20°.
Sunshine and clouds mixed. A few flurries or snow showers possible. High around 20F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Dyson Dark for being 6:00 am

I read the other day, but no time to comment.

Tropic, I have no trouble with flooding. I'm on the high end of town and the one creek to the North of me doesn't reach over here. At least it hasn't yet and the levee broke in.

Pepper, I'm so sorry about Betsy. Thanks for the update on Leaflady.

Hi Cajun, hope you're here to stay!

Marsue, I am so sorry. Rachelle made a decision that was best for her. (((BIG HUGS)))

We picked one Grandchild up from home and the other from school on Friday. After dinner, we decorated the tree. The oldest got serious about hanging and the youngest was more interested in opening the boxes.

Saturday, we visited an old barn they rescued and just recently put an elevator in. The curved roof is nothing more than straight boards overlapping. It was dark and I didn't take the camera.

Sunday was a Holiday Stroll and we ran to West Liberty for treats and a chance to see businesses. Last stop was the meat locker. They had a table FULL of smoked turkey and ham, deer jerkys and bolognas and brats. All eaten with toothpicks. We came home with a 14# smoked ham to chunk for Christmas Feast. We visited Santa in our own former gas station, turned ''old guys talk cars.'' Then they went home :o)

Yesterday, I put decorations up at my elderly relatives house, came home and wrapped gifts and put out the squirrel corn and bird feeders. It's flurried both days and we barely have any snow on the ground :o)

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 7, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #8248485

Mau, my sincere condoleances for the family. So sorry for your loss. I'm happy that Rachelle doesn't suffer anymore...prayers and big hugs for you and the family.
Pepper, prayers for leaflady too. So sorry for the loss of your grandma's dog. I know how hard is ot loose your best friend! Big hugs to you and to your Grandma.
SallyBP, glad you have your grandkids with you . Can't wait to see the tree!
Celia, the doggies were great in their dog houses during the ice storm and a few days later during a very strong rainstorm...grrr! They have been eating inside...I just put the full bowls in there!LOL Thanks for asking.
The Godparents came over on Sunday and we had a nice party for our 2 Nicholas...Grandpa's name is also Nicolae, Romanian for Nicholas. Yesterday was St. Nicholas so we've all cleaned our boots and Santa brought presents to each of us ! The Godparents brought a cool toy for little Nicholas...a donkey who sings Merry Christmas and moves his ears. Nicholas got a bit scared of it at first, but then he wanted to play with it! LOL Grandpa got a new sports suit for the winter. DD and Nicholas came with us today at the office, then went to the park and back home...they'll be back here later to takes us home. It was a lovely day, though a bit freezing last night, 33F. Sun was up all day, but the temps were not higher than 46F. It's going to get warmer tomorrow, then snowing and freezing on Thursday...crazy weather!!!

Here are a few pictures I took these days.
Nicholas with his bottle.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 7, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #8248487

Grandpa and Nicholas in a touching moment!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 7, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #8248490

DD and Nicholas.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 7, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #8248492

Me and Nicholas sleeping.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 7, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #8248495

Godfather with Nicholas and the toy.

This message was edited Dec 7, 2010 1:02 PM

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #8249123

Leaflady's surgery went great!! Shortleaf talked to her today and she says hi to everyone.

Cold, sunny and just plain cold. LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #8249124

Great Shots Adina!
Glad St Nicholas Day was such a happy event!

Well the weather got weird here.
Snowy morning and 13°.
So the salt didn't work well on the roads
Seeing it happened at rush hour ...I saw a few wrecks...
Luckily I go in early so missed the cluster #%#.
At one point it was 45 minutes from our exit to I-71... that's 12 miles.
BUT it was forecast to be cloudy, the high was supposed to be 21°.
It was mostly sunny and hit 28°.
The roof GH peaked at 65° w/ no heater.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #8249125

GREAT News Pepper!

Say hi to the long and short leafs!

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 7, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #8249129

Temp is working hard at zero! Feels like *#%* cold!

Long time until March. Hope we all make it.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #8249197

Haha! Shortleafs, altho technically I guess it'd be shortleaves..lol
EvaMae (leaflady) is in the hospital in the same city as me fortunately, she's a nice lady, I met her a couple times at RoundUps, she sounded good, I'm glad everything went good for her. If anybody else besides me has the MagicJack phone with free long distance or just free long distance, or doesn't worry about long distance..lol, I got leaflady's hospital room number if anybody'd like it just dmail me. I heard about the cold in Minneapolis's 12° F, that is cold! That was over 2 hours ago, it's prolly less now.
Will
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #8249826

Glad she is doing well.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #8250827

Pretty decent day today. Sunny, no wind, and temps in the high 30s. Tomorrow we should hit 50 for a high with strong winds.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #8250995

Hi you guys,
I see leaflady (EvaMae) had some friends over here. I visited her today, she is doing good. I took this photo of her at Centerpoint hospital this afternoon.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 8, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #8251076

Hey there, Eva Mae. You look good.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 9, 2010
3:15 AM

Post #8251273

Eva Mae I agree Lookin'Good!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #8252000

Eva Mae you are lookin' good! Take care and Get Well Soon!!!!

Syracuse, NY got slammed with snow!!! They said on The Weather Channel this morning they got over 44"!!!

It's sunny and mid 40's here still.

Mau deepest sympathy to you and your family.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #8252088

She does look good doesn't she? She was about to transfer to a rehab. facility near there to recover when I was there yesterday. She said she'd say hi when she could but she's not a subscriber right now. She says hi to all. She is very thankful for the well wishes and prayers and loves each of you and she says thanks for the support. I may go visit her again soon, she's a nice lady. She is in good spirits, we had a nice visit yesterday.
If any of you would like her contact info. Pepper also is in contact with her and her family, you could dmail either of us.

Oh, Pepper had that forecast down, thats what it is here today, thats for sure! I raked up 3 yard waste sacks of leaves this afternoon. I couldn't have done it, because of the wind, if I didn't have that Leafmate contraption that goes inside the sacks to hold them up straight. Other than the wind, not bad at all. Leaf-raking is already kinda laborious, I shed my jacket very early..lol The temperature was not a problem. Just leaves going everywhere which isn't nice, but overall not a terrible day for raking.

Wow, 44" of snow! It sounds like Syracuse is going to have a white Christmas!
Here, the Weather Channel site says mild here today and tomorrow, then cold after that.
No single digit lows yet, even in the 10 day, but that could change.

Heres an American Greetings Christmas card, hope it works in here, it's neat.
It is interactive, so you do some clicking to build the snowman and reach the end, and be sure the volume is on!
http://ak.imgag.com/imgag/product/preview/flash/bws8Shell_fps24.swf?ihost=http://ak.imgag.com/imgag&brandldrPath=/product/full/el/&cardNum=/product/full/ap/3166187/graphic1
Will

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 9, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #8252379

I received news today that our dear and long time friend Marcy_1 on the ORVG lost her Brother yesterday from an apparent heart attack.
No warning and on his 63rd Birthday.
I know a few of you here know her from other forums and felt I'd pass this news along.

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #8252432

Windy again, sunny and mild temps around 50 or so. Not a bad day al all. I was stuck inside work all day so didn't get to enjoy it. Oh well. lol

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 10, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #8254093

Just had the most terrifying drive. Went to Mankato this afternoon to do some shopping & get a few needed items. Big storm wasn't due until midnight. It came early! Started as rain in Mankato, out in the country some ice. I drove about 25 MPH the whole way, 35 miles. Over an hour for the trip. I had to salt down our yard in order to walk around.
About 8 cars in the ditch. Some people don't know to slow down!

Cabinet work is getting crazy. We have much to do & more work keeps coming in.

Bernie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2010
4:51 AM

Post #8254311

39° with a high of 35° Yikes!

Through 11am: Rain, mixing with snow by 9am. Cloudy with temperatures slowly falling to near 32F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Snowfall of less than half an inch through 10:30am.

Snow showers for the afternoon. High 34F. Winds SW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of precip 70%. 1 to 2 inches of snow expected.

I sent one Grandchild home with ear infection, the other with a cough.

I went to the Dr. for sinusitis yesterday. Had that headache all night. I didn't wait till I was half dead, but I did wait a day because I didn't feel like getting out of bed.

Adina, Grandpa and Grandson, just beautiful! I love the rest of the pictures too!

Pepper, I'm so glad for Leaflady!

Bernie, your cold cracked me up!

Hi Will. Very nice picture of EvaMae. She really does look good!

Ric, Marcy sounds familiar. I am so sorry for her. No warning is tragic.

Oh Bernie, I'm glad you made it home and didn't break a leg getting into the house. I dread ice these days.

I'm limping along trying to catch up.

Have a great day everyone. Count your blessings. There are more than you think.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #8254372

Here's the weather going be:

Today: A 40 percent chance of rain before 9am. Partly sunny, with a temperature falling to around 28 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as 13. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 18 mph increasing to between 26 and 29 mph. Winds could gust as high as 38 mph.

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 14. Wind chill values as low as -3. Breezy, with a northwest wind between 24 and 28 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 26. Wind chill values as low as -4. Blustery, with a north wind 22 to 25 mph decreasing to between 13 and 16 mph. Winds could gust as high as 34 mph.

I gonna stay inside again but last Monday JuJu disappeared for 4 hrs to find her and I was so upset to find her and I gave up so here she came home for 4 hours freedom that I was worried not get hit by cars or trucks! She is okay and safe now... From now on, I just hate go with JuJu outside for potty every morning and some afternoon also bedtime I m not feeling well this time of chilly got me bad cold...I can't watch her alone that she will go under the fence again!...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you!
Take care,
Anna, Rusty and JuJu

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 11, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #8254384

Minnesota is shutting down, or it should be. Plows were just pulled off the roads in Mankato district.
Wind is nearing 30MPH.
Snow.
20º
At 3 AM temp was 29º.
It is falling fast.
Not much snow here yet, because of the freezing rain.
Twin cities has 4 to 6 inches already.
Staying home today!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #8254608

Getting ready to head north tomorrow for the next couple of weeks for my clinical trial treatments and will be staying at my son's house. Hope the changeover from rain to snow overnight will not have too much impact on our travel plans.
Just received notice that my subscription here will expire on December 24. With limited time and energy I do not plan to renew, so want to wish everyone here Happy Holidays, as this may be my final post on this site.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #8254768

Rusty, we had a Cocker Spaniel that wasn't fenced in. To let her out, we attached a rope with a clip and laid the clip end by the door. I just grabbed her collar in one hand, reached out with the other to get the clip and did it in the house. Coming in was just as easy and the clip was always set back out by the door. I hope you find a soluton so you don't have to be out in the cold again.

Bernie, not good!

Sunfarm, I hope the weather holds! No matter where you are, prayers will always find you! Big hugs and good luck!

It just dropped from 39* to 34* and is snowing.
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2010
11:29 AM

Post #8254777

bp,
It's raining like crazy here at 34*. I shudder to think how much ice we'll have, if it ccontinues to rain when the temp dips, after while. I just hope it immediately turns to snow!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 11, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #8254825

Roads are now closed around here. Any state highway south & west of us is closed to Iowa border. Minneapolis airport is closed. Even the big mall in Mankato closed. Hockey games are canceled.
Minnesota is SHUT DOWN!

Over 12" of snow in lots of places.

Minnesota Gophers basketball team beat Eastern Kentucky. Now 9 - 1.

Thanks to Kentucky for giving us your coach, Tubby Smith.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #8254848

Sasha, the snow is almost done here and it dropped to 29*. I too hope the snow is covering any ice. So far no wrecks on the scanner.

Bernie, unbelievable!

DH is making a cake so I think I'll get out of my kitchen for a while :o)

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #8254918

Berine - I heard this morning on TV GMA (Good Morning, America) that whole state gonna be frozen to -8* tonight...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 11, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #8254935

They lowered that prediction. Will be colder than that.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #8255283

Looks like it will be moving into here tomorrow Bernie.
Nowhere near as bad though.
Sounds like a rough storm there. Hope you ride it out OK.
For the record Tubby came from UK not EKU but ...lol!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
the national weather service in wilmington has issued a winter
weather advisory for snow and blowing snow, which is in effect
from 1 pm sunday to 11 am est monday.

snow is expected to increase in coverage during the afternoon
hours on sunday, with occasional snow continuing through monday
morning. total snowfall accumulations through monday will be 3 to
5 inches. it is also expected that a more intense band of lake
effect snowfall may develop and move into the region on sunday
night and monday morning. while the exact location of this band of
snowfall is uncertain, the potential exists for higher snowfall
totals across a portion of the area.

in addition, northwest winds will become gusty at times
on sunday and monday, with wind gusts in the 30 to 40 mph range.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 11, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #8255304

Yes, I know that, but everyone in KY is a UK fan, right?

I can actually see the neighbors yard light a ¼ mile away. Temp is going to fall to below zero tonight. High tomorrow -3º. Wow!

Vikings are supposed to play NY Giants tomorrow in Mpls. The Giants are stuck in Kansas City airport overnight.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #8255329

Well the Louisville people will probably disagree w/ you but...;-)

That could be a problem. Will the airports be opening by morning?
Cleveland plays at Buffalo tomorrow early game.
Two of the colder, snowier outdoor fields in the NFL... Weather tomorrow in both cities... 37° and rainy.
It will be colder here 100 miles south.

Bundle up Bernie!

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2010
3:55 AM

Post #8255620

22° with a high of 17°
Cloudy with strong and gusty winds. Temperatures falling into the low teens.
Occasional snow showers tapering to flurries this afternoon. Wind chills approaching -10°
Snow accumulations less than one inch.

The wind is howling, but the furnace ran, so it's cozy. It sounds terrible out. There's a tiny drift of snow by the heated water dish. I heard the wind in the night but don't kow when the snow actually started.

Good Morning Folks, it doesn't sound good here, but snow wise it's fine.

Bernie, I can't imagain the whole state shut down. Stay safe!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2010
6:06 AM

Post #8255739

Berine - I heard on new again this morning oh gee down to -21*... So brrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Here is down to 17* now... At 4:30am it was 23*...

I just went outside for short time then Ju zzooommmm back inside after potty! lol...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 12, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #8255758

Temp here is zero. -21º is wind chill. (Which after living in MN for 67 years, I still don't understand.) Actual temp of -21º is a lot colder than zero with a wind!

Vikings - Giants game was moved to Monday night. Then at 5AM this morning the roof on the dome deflated from snow weight. So maybe no game.

Snow totals in MN.
Us, about 4".
Suburb NE of Minneapolis. 24".
Official Twin Cities amount, 21", making it 5th biggest storm in history.

With the wind going down things should be back to "normal" soon.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #8255895

I heard about that when I got up this morning Bernie! WOW!
Looks like they are trying to reschedule as we speak.
God news is it's basically a giant tent so can be repaired fairly quickly it seems.

We have an installer heading to ND tomorrow to do some on site wind generator repairs.
Current Temp there... -11°F (-24°F WC) BRRRRRRRRRR!

We got maybe an inch of snow out of this stuff.
It didn't change over from rain until about 6AM.
Looks like we're in the clear zone for a few hours.
The eastern half of Ohio up thru most of the East is still in the rain portion.

------------------------------------------

a winter weather advisory remains in effect from 1 pm this
afternoon to 11 am est monday.

snow showers will develop in the afternoon and become widespread
during tonight. these snow showers will then become scattered on
monday. total snowfall accumulations will be 2 to 4 inches. in
addition, northwest winds will gust up to 35 mph tonight and
monday which will cause blowing snow.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #8256341

I've been away for a while due to Rachelle's passing (my step-granddaughter). For those of you who don't know, she had fought a long, hard battle against cancer but she got to the place where she was tired and could fight no more. She was just 41. I want to thank all my DG friends here and on the Mid-South forum for the love and kind words. We had a beautiful "going Home" (to Heaven) service for Rachelle on Thursday the 9th of Dec. She is at rest and no longer in pain.
On Saturday morning Dec. 11th, I drove over to Hot Springs, AR to join some of my DG friends at a condo owned by Kim's parents. (Some of you may know Kim as Duckmother on the Mid-South forum.) Sat. night we went to see the lights at Garvan Woodland Gardens. It was beautiful. We walked a trail of about a mile which meanders through the property. There were many, many beautiful displays of lighted trees, flowers, stars, butterflies, larger than life wooden soldiers and gingerbread men, and on and on. It was good to spend some time with my friends and laugh again. I needed some good laughs after the last 3 weeks! Here are a couple of links of photos I took while I was in Hot Springs if any of you care to look at them:
http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/GarvanGardensDec?locked=true#

http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/CondoAtHotSprings?locked=true#

Sounds like several of you are expecting some really cold temps. Everyone stay warm and safe!
It is cold and windy here today. High today of 37F with wind gusts of up to 40 mph. Low tonight 17F. BRRRRRRR

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #8256379

Marsue, I'm so glad you could laugh and enjoy yourself. It sounds so beautiful, but neither link worked for me.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #8256438

Yeah, I just discovered that, BP. Picasa has changed the way they do things. I can't post the link without making it public to anyone and I don't care to do that. Check your email. :o))
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #8256444

Since I can't post the link to my photos without making all of my web albums public, I will just post a few pics of Garvan Woodland Gardens here.

We'll start with this one.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #8256461

and one of the 'steam engine'

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #8256465

the swan on the pond

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #8256469

the giant present

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #8256472

the 'chapel'

If any of you want to see the rest of my photos (there are more than 100) send me a dmail with your email and I will send you a link privately.

Thumbnail by marsue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 12, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #8256618

Sure would be prettier with some snow banks. LOL!

It's nice friends from here can get together. Seems DG people have lots of compassion for each other.

Isn't 17º a little cold for down there?
Our high today was a whopping 4º. Still windy from NW. Low tonight predicted to be -18º. That's actual, not wind chill.
Moon is out though.

Everyone, have a great night!
Bernie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #8256704

Bitterly cold but the winds have finally died down. Got hit with the snow yesterday but we only got about an inch or so. Temps right now are in the low to mid teens and dropping. Wind chills are around -4.

We had a hockey game last night and I managed to drive in the storm to go to the game. Snow wasn't a big deal but the wind was. But went slow and had no problems. And Missouri Mavericks won 4-1 so it was worth it. lol

Was supposed to volunteer at Powell Gardens tonight for a luminary walk going on this weekend but I cancelled due to the extreme temps. It's probably ten degrees colder there than here at the house due to the wind blowing off the lake.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #8256883

This morning here was not bad. 40* but it went down after lunch. Rain started then sleet then snow and the wind picked up bad. Temps dropped and now it is a hard, still cold. No snow right now.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2010
9:44 PM

Post #8257058

We had 55º and the same is expected tomorrow.

I'm with Bernie. We have so many wonderful people here.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2010
2:55 AM

Post #8257180

Looks like about 3" of snow.
Traffic cams are showing lane lines on the Hwy so they've been busy.
Very light snow falling and 21° (Wind Chill 13°).
Heading out early so I can get the car scraped off...
Hearing a county snow plow going thru now!

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2010
3:50 AM

Post #8257222

5° with a high of 10°
Sunshine and clouds mixed. Very cold. Wind chills approaching -20°
Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph.

My birdfeeders are full. I don't have enough garbage to go out so the men get a break from me and I feel like baking something.

Marsue, just read the mail :o) I did and they were beautiful! I thought of them later that night too, wishing I could re-create a few of them here. Alas. I've filled the fusebox as it is.

I wouldn't want to make them public either. They have a lot of nerve expecting that.

The bridge was a favorite! They are all so beautiful!

Bernie, that was one cold moon, and stars! We were warmer than expected. I hope, but doubt you are too.

Pepper, I'm glad you got out and had a good time! I wouldn't go either. Surely there are warmer people who could help.

Celia, ditto ditto, WONDERFUL people. Makes me want to step it up! A good thing!

Ric, I never doubt that you will make it to work, but everyone has my sympathy and wishes to stay safe from the other drivers!

Sunfarm, best wishes and prayers for the day! I've been thinking about you and Rann.
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

December 13, 2010
4:09 AM

Post #8257241

Billy, don't wish to rain on your weather, but in that last snow storm we recd. 20" of the white stuff.
Made for a lot of work, but excellent moisture for the coming season.
Every one have a blessed Christmas and New Year.

Maxine

Just lurk in the background as we know Bernie and wish to know what his weather is!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 13, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #8257404

Hi Maxine, what happened to fall ? We never did get together.

Cold this morning. No wind. Sun coming up.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #8257473

It's now 12* with wind chill 4*...

I gonna to decorated my pine tree today and I will post the pix later on...

Ju won't go outside of colder temperate! Cause she want me go outside no way! lol...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #8257559

We got about 5" of snow overnight but it's dry so it won't pull my fences down. The horses are trying to keep their tails to the wind. Need to get out and throw them some hay. The wind is COLD and my porch is covered with snow.

Sunfarm, thinking of you and praying for you always.

My sister is in Hawaii visiting her son and his family. He is a marine stationed there. She was telling me about the weather and the beautiful plants. Sounds like Heaven on earth.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #8257691

BP, I have accomplished things I would not have done if it weren't for all the good folks here.

Welcome, Maxine and Cajun!!!

It is 42º with 51º expected for the high.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 13, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #8257710

Hello all--Marilyn called today and her computer had decided to conk out again, so she said she will be back when it gets fixed again !
Happy Holidays to all of you
Sandra
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #8257742

Very cold!! It is now 12° according to The Weather Channel site. Not a lot of snow, we've been lucky there. Do these squirrels like Pumpkins or what?! See the 3 Gray Squirrels in the photo? They must like the cold! Overnite it was around -3°! I don't know what it was for sure, but thats what they forecasted on the news last nite.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #8257762

Thanks, Sandra, for posting that for me. Right after I talked to you, I decided to try the laptop again and wouldn't you know---it started working! Hooray! However, don't hold your breath cause it could get "cranky" again and decide not to work. If I disappear from the thread for a few days, you will all know what has happened.
I'm way behind here but I do want to say "welcome" to our newcomers. It's always nice to have new folks join us! This is a great bunch of people! :o))

It's cold here, but no snow and the wind finally died down. Saturday night and all day yesterday, the wind was brutal. The weather folk said we were having gusts of up to 40 mph but I am sure that is nothing compared to what some of you folks in the frozen north are experiencing. Everyone stay safe and warm!

# Today: A good deal of sunshine. High 37F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly clear. Low around 20F. Winds light and variable.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #8257941

Maxine, smiling, you can keep that 20''! Well stick around, we love new people and maybe Bernie likes to know your weather :o)

Rusty, Ju will have to go out sometime... and so will you :o)

Cajun, glad you won't be out mending fences. Hawaii does sound nice!

Celia, me too!

Hi Sandra! Thanks for the info! We love our Mau!

Will, love the pumpkin photo!

I hope we have some newcomers too!

It's nice here, 14* with sun and a little breeze. If I wasn't medicated I'd take a walk.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #8258222

It's so colder today and I couldn't do the decorate my pine tree today maybe tomorrow for good will be around either 38* or 40*...
I hope it...

Now is 27* and wind chill 20*...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #8258677

It got up to freezing today but it dropped far and fast before dark. The wind is like a knife. I had to shovel the long driveway today so we could get the vehicles up the hill and out to the road. We usually leave one at the church but didn't think to last night. I was able to get all the animals fed and cared for but now I am hurting bad.

I know it is a sin and please forgive me, but I am envious of you guys with good weather. I just hate the cold and snow so much.

You'd think those silly squirrels would be curled up in a hollow tree with their noses under their tails. Guess they are either tough or crazy.

This was last week in my front yard. It's much deeper now.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #8258739

Cajun, take extreme care. Can't have you falling down on the ice and breaking something other than ice. I hope things will lighten up for you soon. It seems that is not to be though, doesn't it. I hope your hubby is doing better. It is good news part for his physical problems recently and I pray that things will continue to improve for him. Brrrr. It's cold here in Middle TN too! Cold weather is not my favorite time, believe me. The older I get the more my ice water type blood flows sluggishly and I think I am going to surely freeze to death.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #8258769

DH was supposed to have a heart cath done in the morning but had to cancel due to the weather. It wll have to be resheduled.

Elena, I am having to climb that hill in back to get my chicken house again this winter. I had so wanted to get a new pen built down the hill but it didn't happen. I could just cry. But I will do the best I can. That is all any of us can do in this weather.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #8258789

Yes, I remembered that heart cath but figured they would have to cancel it for you. I am a mother hen sitting here worrying about my chick there in KY struggling against nature to take care of everything. You have my prayers, my friend. Just be as careful as humanly possible and remember that without you being able to care for them, all the animals would go needing care. Next spring I think I need to lead a brigade up your way to prepare your animals' better housing so that you won't have to continue taking such chances caring for them.

Love you.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #8258907

Hopefully next winter I won't have so many animals. I hope to have 1 less goat, a smaller number of chickens and no games chickens and 4 or 5 less horses.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2010
9:47 PM

Post #8258989

Good luck with that. If you can get your hubby to stick by that with you I think you will be far better off. I can't imagine being out in all of the bad weather and circumstances you have to endure just to have animals. It would kill me DEAD in short order. I am just afraid if you keep it up you are going to get hurt eventually. There is a middle aged lady in one of the churches we sometimes visit that lost her husband suddenly. She had to take over the care of all of the horses immediately. About a week into caring for them, she accidentally got hurt in the barn and broke her neck. She was tired and just plain uncoordinated and made a foolish move that cost her dearly. She has been in a neck brace for quite a while now and of course had to hire someone to care for the horses, which she should have done in the first place. I know when a person is tired and not thinking the clearest either, it is easy to get hurt in hurry. You be careful!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #8259180

5° with a high of 18°
A mix of clouds and sun. Cold.
Winds light and variable.

Rusty, it's worth waiting for nicer weather! We put our's up at the end of November and it's so much nicer to work on everything! Especially burnt out bulbs.
Stay warm!!

Cajun, I feel for you with your pains. You have a lot of work! I lurk on the Equine thread, so I'll also add, I'm glad none of your fences went down. Small favors.
I go out and I wonder how the animals can stand the cold. I really try to hold on to liking four seasons, or I would have nothing to look forward to.
Pretty cool front yard!
Prayers for you and your DH.

Hi Elana, sad story about the woman. I hope she'll be ok.

This was yesterday's dinner :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #8259456

I do find myself getting very tired at the end of the day. I let it "warm up" a bit and get out early. That way I can have the heavy stuff done before I start to get tired. Sad about the lady. I know what a heavy load she has and it can get overwhelming at times. DH is taking care of the "outside" horses now. That is what I call the ones that are away from the house. We have 3 here. I take care of those, the chickens, the goats and the dogs. Glad the turtles are hibernating. LOL I have my old BC in the house for winter so he is no problem at all. I am toying with the idea of selling my goats and moving my chickens to where the goats are. I can get goats again when I have a better facility. I can buy a bred doe. All I want is the milk, cheese and butter.

What kind of meat is that you have canned there and how did you fix dinner from your jars? I would like to learn how to can.

It snowed a good part of the night. Looks like we have about 8" now.

Well, I have put it off long enough. I had better get after it so I can get it done. You all have a great day and stay warm.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2010
7:33 AM

Post #8259501

Billy, yes she is ok but it took quite a while. She had her cell phone with her and was able to call for help since she was afraid to move anything but her hands. She will probably have quite a case of arthritis because of the break however. Point being, if we aren't accustomed to doing certain jobs, there can be risks that we aren't even aware of. I know when I am teaching someone something that can have risky drawbacks, I always warn them what could happen if such and such happens. Only then do I feel confident to leave them on their own.

Cheryl, I am glad your hubby is able to help you now. That is good. I think your plans for the future sound much better than what you have handicapping you this winter. Winter will be gone before you know it and then you can start to prepare for next winter way ahead of time. Canning is fun. We had a huge garden when our kids were at home and I canned and froze a better portion of what we ate every year. I always loved canning. There is lots of information out there so next year when all the stuff you want to can is available, start to research the situation. The agriculture departments in any state will have leaflets or brochures they will send you (that used to be the case) or you can go online and get pdf files now I would think. I will be glad to share any knowledge I might actually have committed to memory that hasn't gone to the old age "I can't remember" file. LOL

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2010
10:38 AM

Post #8259834

Well, I did decorate my pine tree few minutes ago, and took pix of this christmas tree outside...

It now 39*...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2010
12:42 PM

Post #8260022

Oh! I love it!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2010
1:21 PM

Post #8260081

Can't go wrong with blue and silver. Lookin' good!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 14, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #8260101

I'm having a short break , just to say I'm still here, but the kids are all over my laptop, so I can't post everyday. I'm trying to catch up with you .Yesterday we made sausages for Christmas and we tasted them today, they're delicious! I'm cooking a lot, doing LOTS of laundry, babysitting and working everyday, but it's great to have all the kids around.
Nicholas started to eat well with the teaspoon. He especially likes banana and carrots. Here he is when eating apple...can you say he doesn't like it?LOL
Have to go now, take care everyone.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 14, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #8260104

It's freezing here, had a few flurries today, but no wind.
Me and DD doing sausages.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #8260109

I know you are enjoying the grandkids. Cute lil guy and I would agree he does not fancy apples. :)

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #8260124

[quote="CajuninKy"]Can't go wrong with blue and silver. Lookin' good![/quote]

It's purple ornaments...(it show like blue!)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #8260449

Cold Cold Cold here!
(well and in most of the Midwest)

Lookin' good Rusty!

Adina looks like a good Christmas going over there!

Elena teaching people worst case, don't work tired or bored and stay alert are the only way to teach any job that can have a danger factor.
I was taught to 'hurry slowly'.
Meaning basically to not let anything but safety set your pace.
I still have all my digits!

Spent about 3 hours in 4°F temps unloading a truck.
It came out of Iowa Friday in the rain.
Everything had frozen. Straps, tarps even the wood from the crates to the trailer bed had to be worked loose.
What took us 45 minutes Friday in above freezing temps was a nightmare today.
But we dress warm and took warm up breaks so all in all not too bad.

Going down to 4°F again tonight.
Currently a balmy 18°!

Ric
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #8260503

Purple huh? That's even better. Change that silver garland for gold and you will have an LSU tree. Geaux Tigers! LOL

Ric, that sounds like a miserable job. Today the laces on my boots froze and I had to work the tines of a fork into the knots to get them untied. That's a first for me.

We are going to have some really bad weather come in tomorrow night. I may be able to get my last 2 horses into a friend's barn tomorrow. That would be a huge blessing. Pray we can get the trailer up the driveway.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #8260563

Cold and cold!! Highs were in middle 20s, with some sun. Temps to get back down into low teens, possibly single digits. We have freezing drizzle coming in sometime tomorrow morning and roads will be a mess by lunch time.

Not looking forwards to the mess since we have a Ritchie Bros auction tomorrow. Gonna be alot of traffic to deal with.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #8260572

Be safe.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 14, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #8260573

Wow! I would hide out until that stuff melts. Snow & hills don't mix well.

Cold here, only 12º today. Now a south wind blowing, which is always cold in winter.
Went to Albert Lea today. I took the interstate. There was still patches of ice & snow in places. Cross country roads are all ice covered yet. We need some warm sun to clean the roads.

People ordered the big entertainment center today. We will start on that as soon as we finish the kitchen we are doing.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2010
4:25 AM

Post #8261074

17° with a high of 24°
Occasional snow showers. Winds ESE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 70%
Dyson Dark!.

Cajun, it does sound like you need to rearrange your animals and take the winter stress off. I'm impressed that you milk the goats and make all of that!.
DD raises the Boer Meat Goats. I tasted goat burger the other day and it was really good! A very light meat taste and not exactly hamburger. Almost better than hamburger. Unfortunately it costs more than burger so people aren't likely to try it. I would buy it if it were comparable in price.
The meat is deer and the jars were just opened and heated. Ready to eat. Gotta love it! Sometimes I add noodles, other times its nice to just have meat. The squash was done in the micrwave. I scooped it out with a melon baller and add a little butter and brown sugar, sometimes half and half. The newer squash is plenty sweet compared to the acorns I grew up on :o) The pears are a couple years old and need eating and the kraut just gets better and better!
I pressure canned the meat and beans and water bathed the pears. I just learned to pressure can so it's never too late! Start with the Ball Canning book!

Elana, I feel for the arthritis she's going to have. She sounds like a survivor. I pray for the best for her.

Rusty, it's beautiful! Take another picture after it snows!

Adina, I think I can say he doesn't like it! YUM on the sausages!

Ric, glad you got the everything undone. I can imagine how tedious that was!

Wow Cajun, it looks slippery! The rooster cracks me up! He doesn't care about the snow! You have a neat ditch bank.

Pepper, that doesn't sound like fun at all!

Bernie, I'm glad you're able to get out and work. I'm sure it makes the customer very happy to see you pull up!

It should snow today!
redheadclan
Vail, AZ

December 15, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #8261157

I almost hate to tell you my weather. Low of 51, high of 79. But that's why I moved here. I was born in Calgary and keep moving south. Of course the summers are hot. We get up to 110 an a regular basis. Then you have to get up with the sun to spend any time out side.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #8261171

Every place has it's drawbacks. Here it's winter. The rest of the year it's Heaven on earth here. Wish I could fly south for the winter.
redheadclan
Vail, AZ

December 15, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #8261178

We have what we call snow birds. That's what we call the retired notherners that come here for the winter. They come in droves.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #8261235

[quote="CajuninKy"]Purple huh? That's even better. Change that silver garland for gold and you will have an LSU tree. Geaux Tigers! LOL[/quote]

I check at Wal Mart and it out of gold garland so I get silver garlands oh well!

It more like going be freezing rain today (maybe or will be...)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #8261236

Adina: Nicholas is always cute--even if he doesn't like the apples! LOL
Redhead: We have "snowbirds" that retire to northern Arkansas, too, believe it or not, but if they want warm winters they need to move even farther south! LOL
Ric: It's going to be a "balmy" 48F here today although I prefer a balmy 75F! LOL
Rusty, the tree looks pretty. I'm sure that snow on the limbs will make it look even more festive but I hope you don't get too much snow!
Bernie, you manage to stay busy, don't you? That's a sign of your good workmanship! :o))
BP: yummmm! "Homemade" veggies, etc., are always the best!
I am going to get out later this afternoon and put up my lighted Nativity figures. I'm late getting them out this year but it has been too cold and windy the last few days and I was at my daughter's house in Harrison for 3 weeks at Thanksgiving until this past week-end.

# Today: Cloudy skies with a few showers this afternoon. High 48F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Cloudy with a few showers. Low 43F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

My dog, Friday, has a new winter coat--it's camo. I'm not necessarily one for "dressing" animals in clothes and Friday is not particularly fond of it but he was groomed yesterday and he needs it for the extra warmth when we go outside.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #8261240

My Thanksgiving cactus thinks it is a Christmas cactus! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2010
6:37 AM

Post #8261271

Red, you really kept moving south, LOL! Your weather IS to envy!

Rusty, it's just beautiful no matter what colors :o)

Marsue, the nativity sounds nice! I'd be glad to miss a few windy days before getting them out.

I see Fridays, confusion and hesitation, but I'll bet he comes to love it when he see's he's warm. Especially for those chilly bathroom dashes!

It's lovely!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #8261307

Hi Everyone! I have been gone FOREVER!! Yikes I know I'm too busy when I don't have time to check in with y'all.

It's just been cold and sunny. We were in a freezing rain advisory from 9pm last night to what was supposed to be 10am this morning, but when I woke up it had been canceled down here, it was 41 when I left the house at 7:40am so that didn't happen, thank goodness.

Welcome newbeez!! When things calm down after the first of the year I'll be back more often.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #8261614

And now, I'm behind again! Gah!!!

It snowed here last night. The patio has 2" and the grass has 6". Explain that one. I measured from the top of the grass not all the way to the ground. Hmm... WS says 34º. It was mostly sunny a little bit ago and now it's mostly cloudy.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2010 10:40 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #8262443

Red head if you were born and raised in Calgary you are excused for moving to AZ.
You deserve some heat! lol!

-----------------------

Another storm is moving in:
the national weather service in wilmington has issued a winter
storm warning for snow, which is in effect from 10 pm this
evening to 1 pm est thursday. the winter weather advisory is no
longer in effect.

snow will begin to move into the area tonight and continue
through the middle of the day on thursday.

snow will likely mix with sleet and freezing rain along and south
of the ohio river. a burst of heavy snow is expected late tonight
into early thursday morning, which will impact the morning rush.
total snowfall accumulations will be in the 3 to 5 inch range. ice
accumulations will be a quarter inch or less.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #8262460

High of low 30s and cloudy all day with some wind. Freezing drizzle has now moved in and roads are a mess!! Wrecks everywhere and it's only gonna get worse.

I need to get some new pictures. I've used up all the good ones on here already. lol
redheadclan
Vail, AZ

December 16, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #8263107

We're supposed to get rain today. We've had .01 of an inch since Sept.1st. I hope it materializes. I've even had to water my xerascape.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2010
7:49 AM

Post #8263280

too much rain, not enough rain, snow, no snow, blizzards, a little bit of snow, heat, sub-zero temps---you name it, we got it! :o~
It is warmer here in central AR today but colder weather coming back in tomorrow, if the weather folk are correct. I'll take the somewhat warmer temps no matter if they only last for a day!

# Today: A shower or two possible this morning with partly cloudy skies for the afternoon. High near 50F. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy skies early will give way to cloudy skies late. Low 29F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tomorrow: Cloudy. High 41F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #8263291

Very little snow overnight. It's raining now. Temps are above freezing so that is a blessing. But I have been reading on FB that the roads are icy. I haven't been out on them yet.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #8263307

Take care. I know it is probably ok where I am but also know it is supposed to start getting colder. Did you get those horses moved?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 16, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #8263324

17º
Light snow. No Wind!
3" snow overnight.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #8263400

Hi Bernie. "Merry Christmas" to you and Bertha. I don't do snow well but since you are a young whipper snapper, it probably doesn't bother you.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #8263439

We did get them moved though not without incident. DH tried all day to borrow a 4wd truck and a smaller trailer but was not successful. So about an hour before dark we hitched our big rig up and knew we had to give it a good try. I prayed like I have never prayed before and the truck and trailer moved up the long hill. Just about to the top a vehicle came up the road and all DH could do was pull out into the road in front of them. If he had stopped or even slowed down he would have been done for. Thank the Lord the vehicle saw him in time and stopped for him. He drove up the hill to the church and parked. We lead the 2 horses up the driveway to load them. I was leading Shaq, my BIG TWH gelding who can be a bit jumpy. He walks very fast with big steps but he is respectful and didn't give me any trouble. DH was leading Glory, the mare who put her eye out. She is gentle but does not respect the lead rope. She started pulling DH along on the icy road and he was pulling on her to try and stop her. He was afraid a car was going to come along. His chest was hurting by the time he got her under control then he had to stand in the road until the pain quit. We got them up the road and loaded the mare. DH shut the gate between them and then realized the locking mechanism was frozen shut so we had to haul them next to one another without the gate in place. Had to tie Shaq's head toward the back because he has been known to bite a horse next to him in the trailer. I had to walk back down to the house to get the van, feed, flashlights and a lead rope with a chain shank for the mare. The ride over the mountain was thankfully uneventful. By the time we unloaded next to the highway, it was dark. Then we had to lead them up the hill to the barn. We hayed them well and shut them in for the night. It was so strange last night. I did not realize how often I checked on them at the house. I kept going to the window to see how they were, to see if they needed anything, to make sure the electric fence had not shorted out. It took me a few hours to relax and let it sink in that they were not out in the snow anymore. It is such a relief. Thank you for your prayers.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #8263455

25º, sunny and calm.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #8263465

I am so glad you got that accomplished without any serious injuries to either you or the horses. Thank the good Lord for that and for answered prayers.

Would you mind putting this info. over at "The Gathering Place" in your forum "At Home Away from Home" for everyone to know that you, your hubby and the horses are ok? Thanks ahead of time.

http://thegatheringplacehome.myfastforum.org/forum59.php&sid=486ca2a7cdbbff3ddcc6dfd11ebad90d
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #8263649

It's a done deal and you are very welcome. I have been putting off going out but it has to be done. I'm sure I will talk to you all again a bit later.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2010
11:59 AM

Post #8263683

Yeah Chrissy! Forever! Glad you're back! Wow, you really missed the bad weather!

Yeah Celia! Now that's one crazy little snow angel there, LOL!

Ric your weather is basically what we got starting last night. We also saw a wind generator heading East today, thru our town. Usually they are heading west. This was part of the leg.

Pepper, I hear ya on new pictures!

Red, and that is why I stay up here in the mid-west. We seen to have had our share and more of rain the last few years. I'm grateful, but I feel so bad for the droughty South.

Marsue, how much more of this weather, before you actually swing back to Spring weather?

Cajun, I saw weather for Louisville and wondered how far you are from there? I have an atlas, but you are right here :o)

Elena, do we have a contender for oldest and most respected? :o)

Cajun, I was holding my breath! If you're lucky, it was a neighbor who knew to wait for you. You AND your DH has my prayers. That was quite a story and I felt every bit of it right up to looking out the window. Jeeze, I'm glad it all went OK!

Celia, a nice calm picture to go with your weather.

27* and calm here as well. No more snow altho it could start again this afternoon
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #8263940

Billy wrote: Elena, do we have a contender for oldest and most respected? :o)

In all modesty, I think that would be ME! Tee hee!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #8263947

Elena, Congratulations!! (Throwing up confetti)
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #8264050

Nothing like nominating and then voting in one's self, is there? Hey, I missed my calling. I probably should have been a politician. Nah!!!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #8264110

Well the drive in was pretty bad but as I left 1/2 hour early there was little traffic.
We had already gotten 4" of snow and it was coming down hard.
But not having to deal w/ the idiots who have no business on the roads it went well.
40-45MPH in all the way.
We can see the Hwy from our shop.
By normal rush hour it was down to a crawl.
I had to make a run at 1PM and the roads were already in pretty good shape.
Coming home it was like it never happened.

We have about 6" out there from this storm.

Cajun I VERY glad the horses are taken care of.
More glad because everyone made it safely!!!

Our street.

This message was edited Dec 16, 2010 9:39 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #8264205

The bulk of the storm went north of me last night so we got some drizzle but not much. Roads were dry this morning and so was the deck. We reached around 31 for a high today. Had a bit of a breeze so it still felt pretty cold. Sun did come out this afternoon though it didn't help temps any. lol

Glad you got the horses put up Cajun!! Glad to hear you all managed to do it without getting hurt too.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2010

Post #8264232

That pic looks like a postcard. You should enter it in the photo contest next year.

Pep, glad you guys missed the bad weather.

BP, we are about 4 hours south of Louisville.

We faired well at our house last night. I was very worried about the ice and losing power. It happened last Christmas and we were without power for 6 miserable days. Then when we were able to get out to town there were no supplies to be had. My Mom sent us D size batteries from La.!!! We have stocked up on kerosene for the heaters and lamps and propane cylinders for the stove. We even bought a new 2 burner camp stove. I caught 15 gallons of well water for drinking and washed up all the dishes and clothes. Got batteries for the flash lights and plenty food but I still DON'T want the power to go out. LOL But God was good to us. We got very little snow and no ice. We had between a drizzle and a mist most of the day and the temps got up to 38* so a lot of the snow either melted or turned to slush. I am praying the temps don't drop below freezing tonight or the roads will be treacherous in the morning with all the sheets of ice everywhere.

Elena, I could never see you as a politician. You are waaay too honest. :)

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #8264256

Yeah! I guess that would mess up my chances of ever succeeding. Oh well! I am too old to start now so guess I will just have to forget about that. LOL I am so glad things are ok with you guys. Maybe you will be lucky and not have any seriously bad weather from this latest stuff we are experiencing. We didn't have any problems with it here in Nashville either.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #8264259

That is good to know. I hope you are not trying to go into your basement. My cellar steps were coated with ice for a few days so I had to be very careful on them. Didn't want to end up like a character in a comedy. I would not see the humor in it, to be sure. :)
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #8264365

We don't even have steps but walk down a dirt slope to get to our under house area. That is where I put that rooster I was telling you about that had a frostbitten comb. I had him in a quickly constructed pen under a hanging light. He was directly under our bed and when he crowed in the morning it always woke us up. Long story!!!!!! I broke my left wrist years ago on black ice and it took a whole year and three surgeries to get it back to where I could use it. I am one of the most careful people on earth when it comes to ice. Been there, done that!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2010
3:01 AM

Post #8264496

11° with a high of 19°
Sun and clouds mixed. Cold. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph.

Elena, laughing!!

Ric, it looks like you have a very quiet street.

Pepper, glad you were dry and not icy!

KY, 6 days would be terrible miserable! But, nothing like it to be well prepared next time.

Elena, thank God for small favors. Love the rooster alarm clock!! It cracks me up at DD's when out of the blue they let out a crow. It's startling sometimes, but to be asleep? I'd be wringing his neck, LOL! All it takes is somthing like that to learn a valuable lesson, and I'm not above learning from others mishaps.

I hope we can find all the winter gear for the boys before they get tired of trying things on today :o)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2010
4:47 AM

Post #8264581

Whew, that was quite an "adventure", Cajun! I'm so glad that it all turned out well and you and the horses are okay!
Elena, funny story about the rooster. That would be quite a shock to have a rooster crowing you awake that way! LOL

Well, no snow here but "they" are saying we might have a few flurries tonight--nothing to accumulate. About this time of year, I'd rather be on an island somewhere in the Caribbean! LOL

# Today: Generally cloudy. High 44F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Scattered snow showers during the evening. Then partly to mostly cloudy overnight. Low 28F. Winds light and variable. Chance of snow 30%.
# Tomorrow: Mainly sunny. High 47F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.
redheadclan
Vail, AZ

December 17, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #8264648

We finally got a little rain, but only .09. Low was 46.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #8265617

Still cold, high around 31. Sun came out a few times and I called it fake. LOL. It didn't look like sunshine to me. Looked like set lighting. Lows to be in the teens again. No moisture til sometime Sunday.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #8265631

Our weather was about the same Pep.
We did have about 1" more snow overnight.

Looks like we may be near 40° by Tuesday!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #8265802

We may be getting more snow tomorrow. Not sure how much yet.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2010
9:24 PM

Post #8265909

Elena, that is too funny. I had a big rooster who got frostbite on his comb and lost a spike. It looked like a smile with a big gap. That was Dumplin the big roo I accidentally shot in the head and had to cook in the pressure pot. I have 10 roos here right around the house so I hear plenty crowing. I actually have one roo in the living room tonight in a big tub. The cold has about done him in. He doesn't have to stay in the cold but chooses to. You can't fix stupid.

It got up to 36* today ao more of our snow melted. But it ismelting from underneath. The top is a hard crust. Makes walking harder but it makes climbing the hill easier because my footprints are now like steps so I don't slide and slip as much. Supposed to be nice tomorrow and get bad again late Sunday. DH has to go to the hospital Sunday night for his sleep study test so I will be braving the weather alone.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2010
9:38 PM

Post #8265918

I have so many tales I could tell if I didn't hate typing lengthy messages. Isn't it amazing how so many animals can seem so smart and others of the same species can appear to be brain dead. Hey! Kind of reminds me of some people. LOL I have never heard the story of Dumplin. Accidentally shot him huh? Remind me not to plan to come visit you after all. Accidentally shot!!!!!!!!!! Uh huh! Hope you aren't some sort of pistol packing mama with a bad aim!!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
4:24 AM

Post #8266037

8° with a high of 21°
A mix of clouds and sun. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph.

Marsue, you do make warm weather seem tempting.

Red, I always say it takes rain to make rain. Hopefully it didn't dry up and blow away.

Pepper, I know exactly what you mean by fake sun. I call it the same thing!

Ric, that will feel balmy.

Celia, I love fiesty little Juncos :o)

Cajun, I'm laughing over the accidental rooster!!! I hope you get along ok, alone.

Elena, looks like a person should take a friend with them when visiting Cajun, At least one of you have a chance to get out alive :o)

Well, shopping went VERY well yesterday. We were happy with our gloves and mittens, coats, and jammies. Only one got boots as Farm and Fleet run out and don't restock. Luckily it was the oldest who got because he goes to school daily.

Later DD called to say her SIL was given a pair of boots at school to give to someone she might think they would fit. Can you believe they were the youngest one's size??? AND they are Bogs, a $50.00 pair of boots that can take -30* weather. We were all amazed at how that worked out. He's only 4 and he has wonderful boots now!

Now I have known for quite a while but can finally announce it.

I AM GOING TO BE A GRANDMA AGAIN IN JULY!!! NO IDEA WHICH SEX YET, AND I DONT CARE!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #8266241

Pep: "Set lighting" I like that description. :o))
Celia: nice bird pic. :o)
Cajun: "You can't fix stupid." ROFLOL and that definitely applies to people, too!!!!
Elena: Yep, you better take a witness with you!
BP: glad you and the boys survived the shopping trip! LOL Hooray for the youngest DGS's new boots, too! "God works in mysterious ways. . ."

The front that was supposed to bring us some snow flurries came and went quickly in the middle of the night. We had a heavy frost but no snow. Low last night was 27F.
# Today: Partly cloudy. High 48F. Winds light and variable.
# Tonight: A few passing clouds. Low 27F. Winds light and variable.
# Tomorrow: Generally sunny. High 49F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.

Friday and I learned a lot about cud-chewing ruminants this morning. He actually sat there and watched this show until the commercial came on! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #8266301

Nature, or accidents, usually fix stupid.
Watch the videos on UTube...
The hope is that it happens before they can breed and pass the trait on... ;-)

Heading out to the Family Christmas in a bit... Calm, Clear and 18°.
Heading for upper 20's.

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #8266595

Ric, LOL! Have a wonderful afternoon!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #8266937

Billy, I think we need to organize a group and head over to KY to fix some animal hotels for Cajun. I am a good slave driver according to my hubby, so I can be the one holding the whip while everyone else invests in sweat equity. LOL I can cook without fainting so maybe I need to be the chief cook and bottle washer.

Marsue, my kitty, Baibee Blue, loves Animal Planet more than any other channel. Many nights he will sit at the foot of my bed when I am watching TV and watch whatever is on until the constant watching causes him to drift off to sleep.

Here he is several months ago watching a favorite show in the kitchen .

Thumbnail by Elena

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #8266938

Who but us would put a chair in front of the TV so he wouldn't have to crane his neck watching his favorite shows?

Thumbnail by Elena

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #8267053

Handsome Guy there Elena!

Christmas w/ the Family was nice.
My nieces are 9 and 11 so you have the normal sister stuff going on...lol!
My DS and BIL are doing some more renovations.
He's taken a year off after selling his company and getting a bit stir crazy I think.
They totally remodeled the master bath last Summer.
Now they are replacing their kitchen fireplace w/ a Jøtul wood burning stove.
It will be installed Tuesday, just in time for Christmas.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #8267083

Cold, sunny, and that's about all I know. lol. Spent all afternoon inside at work today.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #8267110

Thanks, Henry. He is a blue exotic shorthair. He just turned a year old recently. He is a delight to have because he interacts with everything that goes on around here and is a real talker. He has all sorts of different sounds he makes according to what he wants to say. We talk to him all the time using the same words each time we say something we want him to learn. He understands more of what we tell him than any other cat we have ever had and I have had MANY of them.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #8267112

Sorry to hijack the thread talking about animals. Here is one last shot and then we can move on to the weather. LOL It is cold and miserable in Nashville, by the way.

Thumbnail by Elena

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #8267166

Whoa! Demon Cat shot! LOL!
"Look into my eyes!"
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #8267199

Actually he is far from being a demon cat. He doesn't show the least bit of resistance to stuff that most cats would eat you alive for doing to them. He just purrs no matter what at vet visits, nail trimmings, etc. Nope! No sign of a demon cat in him.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #8267267

Elena, we never mind if you hijack a thread OR talk about animals. We love all our kids. Your baby is adorable! We move furniture around so the cats can watch TV better. LOL

Cold but not very, tonight. WS says 43º even though it's 10pm.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2010
10:15 PM

Post #8267294

kwanjin, he would rather jump down from the bed to the hard floor with a stool sitting at the foot of the bed that he can jump to first. His really tall cat tower sits in the dining room by the window. to give him a really good high up view of the things happening outside. Birds are fed just outside the window just for his pleasure. There are little baskets of toys all over the house with many scattered toys under everything. The living room furniture is covered with sheets so he can lie anywhere he wishes without getting hair all over everything. I have a few scatter rugs in different places in the house and have to lay towels over them to keep him from snagging them with his claws when he is tossing his toys everywhere. Would you say that we run the house or does he? If I know someone is going to drop by who isn't accustomed to cats running the house, I can dash around and hide things in just a matter of a few short minutes. Anyone else out there have to do this sort of thing to make their home look like the cat doesn't own it?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #8267297

We bought a very large couch, Guess who uses it more than we do? LOL You sound like the perfect kitty parent!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2010
5:25 AM

Post #8267415

4* down to 2*, and our power was off from 4:14 am to 6:20 am. It went out right after DH got out of bed.

We had instant coffee because I knew exactly where it was in the big freezer and the cream is right in the fridge door, so minimal door opening. We lit the burners and opened closet doors to keep the tub pipes warm .

We had buckets of water to flush with and I had water from last night to get my pills down with. We only had one picher of water on hand. (Bad plan.) Now I have 4. We used to keep 30 gals. on hand for drinking and cooking.

We sat and talked, and listened to the wind-up radio. It felt like the 40's. Always bad news no matter what the year.

All in all, the bedroom farthest from heat was 66* so we stayed nice for the 2 hours. Straight line winds taught us much. I was just lax on available water :o)

Elena, ROTFL!! I'll bet you're a good cook. I'd want a Southern breakfast. Awww, he's adorable! Oooh, learning about predators!

Ric, there's nothing like a family get together to give you a warm feeling. Gentle hugs for Robyn.

Elena, there's no such thing as hijacking this thread. We love all the different things people have or do. MOST of the time... we don't forget our weather report :o) He's a s pampered as our cats, LOL!

Celia, you summed it up best :o)

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #8267416

Great sign. Could you send me that by dmail? I would love to have it to print. It is always good to know I could be considered a good kitty parent.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #8267424

Billy, you posted the same time I did. I am glad you didn't suffer when your electricity was off. I am glad you reminded me. I don't have any water put back. Duh! Not too bright of me. I will do that right away. I am a southern cook but don't know how good I am. I have been cooking all my life it seems. I am 74 yrs old so that is a lot of cooking behind me. Whether I have learned anything or not would remain to be seen after interviewing some of my victims.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2010

Post #8267430

Well, why don't you just send me a list of your victems and I'll ask them, LOL!

I'll bet you're a fantastic cook! What is your best dish? That's a hard question, at the moment I can't even think of mine :o)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 19, 2010

Post #8267433

Give this woman a little fudge & she is good to go. (Make sure Jo isn't around though.)

That is the nice thing about DG & the Round Up's, is all the great people you meet.
I don't remember who made what at KY RU, but it was very good!

We are off to my sister's today for family Christmas. Won't be home until Monday afternoon. (Love to goof off!)

Bernie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #8267447

I sure can't spell, LOL!

Bernie, I'll bet the food IS wonderful!

Have a fantastic time!! Stay safe on the roads!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #8267461

Elena: go ahead and hijack! (who wants to hear about "cold and miserable", anyway? LOL)
and we can't have kitty getting a crick in the neck while watching TV, can we? :o))
By the way, Celia's(kwanjin) door mat lied--she has three cats (or rather, they own her) but Sir Monty is the King Cat! LOL
Ric: glad you had a good time at the family get-together.
BP: your DH should have stayed in bed! (power went off right after he got out of bed). LOL
Bernie: have a good time today at your family Christmas. I hope the weather doesn't adversely affect your trip.

# Today: Plenty of sunshine. High near 50F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Some clouds. Low 31F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.

Speaking of family Christmas, I had Christmas with my son and his family yesterday because I am going up to my DD's to spend Christmas at their house this coming week. Here's a photo my son took when we were trying to get a group photo of MaSusie (me) and the kids. Taking group photos is never easy but we finally got one that is acceptable(not the one here) If you are a "friend" of mine on Facebook, you can see the photo album of me and the kids decorating gingerbread houses (that was an adventure!) LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #8267506

Marsue, stranger things have happened :o)

I adored your pictures. What great memories for all those kids!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #8267648

BP Glad you power was only off a little while. It is miserable to be without power. We are all electric but we have kerosene heaters and propane camp stoves. Even have a propane water heater for camping. It will heat 40 gallons of water with one cylinder. I have 15 gallons of well water caught for drinking. We have the creek in the front yard we can use for flushing and watering the animals.

Sue Love the pic. You have some really nice looking grands there. Grand kids are great. I have heard it said they are God's reward for not killing our kids when they were young. LOL Please be careful on your trip.

Bernie I am still hoping to make it to the Ky RU one year. I have been trying since I first heard of it in 06 and I haven't made it yet. They sound like so much fun.

Kwanjin People know what to expect beyond the threshold. :) We don't have any official house pets. My elderly border collie is in for the winter. His arthritic hips are painful in the cold. And my LR is an infirmary for sick and injured critters most of the time. I have a hen in there now. This is a pic of the guest I had a few weeks ago.

If Elena's cat had been evil she would have long since converted him. LOL He does has some intense looking eyes. It's funny he is watching a wolf on TV. I love wolves. I'd have one for a pet if I could give it a good quality of life.

It is cold here, about 30*. I am praying it warms up a bit today so getting the feeding done won't be so hard. We had to cancel church today due to the ice. DH had to sleep at the hospital tonight for his sleep study test. I hope the weather is not bad tonight.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #8268324

Warm today. Temps reached close to 50 here and in some places were over 50*. Sun came out off and on for a few short hours but then it got cloudy and remained cloudy.

Spent the day wrapping presents. Took forever to get a few presents wrapped. lol. I still have some more to wrap but the worse of them are done.

Finally got some pictures downloaded. Here is a moon shot from earlier tonight.

Thumbnail by pepper23

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #8268455

I wish we had gotten that warm. It never got above 29* here. Hope tomorrow is better.

DH has gone to the hospital for his sleep study test.

I love your pic. It has so much character.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2010
3:06 AM

Post #8268620

It's 29° here now at 6AM.
We might break freezing.
All that warm air in KS,MO,TX is staying there...errrrr!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2010
3:22 AM

Post #8268629

21° with a high of 21°
Through 10am: A period of steady light snow is likely between 5am and 8am.
A wintry mix, especially this afternoon. Winds ESE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precip 70%.
Time Until Sunrise: 2 hrs 50 min
The pine tree is turned on. All is bright :o)

Cajun, it is so good to be prepared!! Is your weather usually like this in December? WOW! Good thing your hawk and hen didn't need the room at the same time, LOL! Are you a wildlife rehabber or just have the knack?

Pepper, that's almost a Halloween sky!

Ric, it will warm up, it will warm up, it will warm up... and snow, LOL!

It's off to the Dr. this morn to check blood levels of thyroid medicine. I hope it's finally where it should be so I can start to get them thru the mail.

I'll be glad to get home and hunker down before the wintery mix this afternoon!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #8268905

Cajun: I'm curious, too--do you "rescue" wildlife on a regular basis? Neat photo of the hawk! Re: the grands---I saw a bumper sticker once that said, "If we'd a-knowed grandkids wuz so much fun, we'd a had them first!" LOL
BP: I was thinking the same thing about Pepper's photo! LOL You be safe in your travels to the doctor--hope the levels are where they should be and I hope you get back home before that wintry mix begins!

I'm almost ashamed to post this forecast after some of the weather the rest of you are experiencing! :o~
# Today: Cloudy skies. High 54F. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph.
# Tonight: Cloudy. Slight chance of a rain shower. Low 48F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tomorrow: Cloudy skies early will become partly cloudy later in the day. High 63F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #8269124

We had 50º yesterday. It's snowing lightly now with 34º.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 20, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #8269156

We just returned home. Stayed in a motel about 15 miles south of my sister's. Headed out at 6:30 AM. We had breakfast near the store I had to go to. Dropped off the parts & started for home. On the south side of the cities we ran into snow. Drove about 55 most of the way. Snow got heavier the closer we got to home. The last mile on the gravel road was the worst. Couldn't see the road for the most part.
Now just relaxing a bit.
Weather liar had said snow would start in Twin Cities at 3 PM.They only missed by 6 hours.
We were to get 3 to 5. Already have 6 & still snowing hard.
Light & fluffy, so when wind starts it will blow easily.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #8269227

32° cloudy and breezy.

Marsue, I love that bumper sticker! I'm home, had coffee, wrapped the last two gifts and still no snow :o(
Awww, enjoy your weather! You'll get your share of too hot later :o)

Celia, love the picure!!

Bernie, wow, I'm glad you made it home!! You have a good white Christmas going on now!

Our sky is the same color as the snow on the roof and the wind is out of the East. Where is my snow to make me feel cozy?

I had already sneaked the lambs out of the boys toys for my Creche years ago. They found a camel and put it up for me. Cracked me up, but there he stands! Proudly!

I also think the standing donkey looks like ''Donkey'' in Shrek :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #8269826

Low 50s and cloudy today.

Had a busy day at work today. Had to work floral for a couple hours to help them get caught up. Made a few arrangements for the cooler and helped customers there. One arrangement came out really neat and if it's still there tomorrow I'm buying it even though I made it. LOL. It is a green ornament planter, geenery along the rim, and white daisy like flowers and yellow carnations. Very striking. lol

Came home tonight to find my dad is sick, then my grandma called and she is sick too. My brother also called tonight and HE is sick too!! Crazy!!!

Yeah, that sky does look Halloweenish a bit. LOL. Ric, I would think the warm air would reach you in a day or two. We have another storm system coming in sometime Thursday.

Missouril River Sunset earlier this month.

Thumbnail by pepper23

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 21, 2010
12:24 AM

Post #8270139

Good morning everyone! Weird weather here...after a deep freeze and snow, it's getting warm today so everything will be melting and this is how is going to be on Christmas too. Andreea is going to get Nicholas' passport today, so I'm babysitting again. He's getting used to me, so it won't be a problem. The other night when I slept with him he just woke up once at 4:30, but I told him a story and he went back to sleep. If you want to know, I told him about Cinderella!LOL He was asleep when the kids came home at 5:00. Last night we watched "Snow white" and he loved it... until he was asleep!LOL I need to remember all those stories all over again!
Mau, I'd love to see your pictures...have to check my picassa albums too.
Posting a picture with a viw of the pinetree in my garden and all covered with snow.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 21, 2010
1:16 AM

Post #8270147

Mau, I just checked on my Picassa albums. A window opened first and asked to choose a public share of my pictures, but I just closed it. Maybe you said yes and that's why they are public now. You can go to Editing , choose Album properties, then View and select "Anyone who has the link", so you can send the link to whomever you want. My albums are all like that and there is an orange locker on each of them. Here's an album with Nicholas recent pics :

http://picasaweb.google.com/adinamiti/NicholasInRomania?authkey=Gv1sRgCPqw0_fKtunFcw#

Tell me if you can see any other of my albums.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2010
3:11 AM

Post #8270183

Just the one album Adina.
GREAT Pictures!

IT'S Solstice!

The days will now be getting longer as we head for the warmth of Spring!
We'll OK in reality our usually two coldest months are Jan and Feb but...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5im3yMw53Nks_5eLaSvSwnHZ3lFyw?docId=CNG.ef9a9f0039fc069765a1d48a270a6be2.151

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2010
4:07 AM

Post #8270223

33°with a high of 32°
Through 11am: Cloudy with temperatures steady in the low 30s. Winds light and variable. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.

Pepper, smiling. I hope you get your arrangement. It sounds so pretty. I hope not too seriously sick. It seems most of us are getting sick before Christmas. A speedy GET WELL to all of them! Stay away from all of them!! LOL! Wow, another good composition photo! Love it!

Adina, how wonderful for Nicholas to fall in love all over with you again! A big smile over "Cinderella!" That is so cute! Awww, cute little tree! Love the dog on the other side :o)

They are all wonderful pictures and he's just an angel when he's asleep!

I love Cici's kiss!

Ric, we'll get thru these two months!

We didn't get to see it either. It seems to be overcast for all the meteor showers too :o(
Years ago we were sitting on the edge of town in the back of the truck, waiting, and it clouded over and started to rain before we could get back in the truck.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2010
4:57 AM

Post #8270268

Pepper: I hope you get the arrangement you made. LOL A very pretty photo of the sunset!
Adina, I could only see the one album. Such great photos--Nicholas is a happy baby and well loved! I know you are enjoying having him and Andreea with you. Is Ionut there, too? I will dmail you a link to my photos later, after I figure it out. LOL
Ric: it was too cloudy over Arkansas for most folks to be able to see the lunar eclipse. However, one guy who works for the Arkansas Sky Observatory on Petit Jean Mountain was able to get a really good photo of the beginning of the eclipse. He sent it to one of the local TV stations this morning. I looked to see if they had a photo of it on FB but no such luck.

We are having unseasonably warm weather this week--a high up into the 60'sF today! This won't last long--colder weather is on the way again.

# Today: Overcast. High 62F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mostly cloudy skies. Low 42F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tomorrow: Intervals of clouds and sunshine. High 53F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2010
5:30 AM

Post #8270311

Happy Birthday Rusty!!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #8270494

Happy Birthday, Rusty!!!

33º and snowing.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #8270522

It was cloudy here and too cold for me to sit outside. It snowed a bit last night again. It is above freezing now. At least the thermometer says so but the icicles are not dripping so I have my doubts.

Hope all you guys are doing well.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #8270527

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RUSTY! I hope you have a great day!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #8270547

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RUSTY!!!!! I'll come back on Thursday, I have Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun off! I love working for the Government LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #8271514

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Rusty!

Chrissy we have 1/2 day tomorrow then the same days off as you!
4 day New Years weekend too!
GREAT to work for a formally union company! lol!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #8271538

Happy Birthday Rusty!!!!

It's still decent out. Been going into work with just a sweater. Customers keep asking where's my coat. LOL. I tell them I don't need it, it's not that cold out. They think I'm nuts. LOL. Cloudy all day too.

I bought the arrangement today. One of my other ones sold right before I left. The guy was asking about it and we told him I made it yesterday. I was STOKED!!! Nw only one arrangement left in the cooler. May have to make a couple more on Thursday if I have time. I don't have a picture yet. I would get up and take one but I have old man Whiskers in my lap and he may not forgive me if I get up. LOL

Another pic of the Missouri River.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2010
3:08 AM

Post #8271985

32° Currently... High today ...32°...
Weather for the next 7 days High ...32°each day...lol!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2010
9:57 AM

Post #8272443

Thanks for my birthday but no cake or present! Oh, well!!!

Went to Dr today and I got Type 2 diabetes so I just hate needle to my finger so dr gave me some medicine for that without check my blood sugar so my blood sugar way high bad... I has been not feel well for weeks...

The weather will be bad this weekend which it will be freezing rain and snow also on Christmas Day will be flurries...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #8272448

Oh, take care, Rusty!!!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #8272799

Happy belated birthday, Rusty. Sorry you are having health problems. Stay on top of that and follow your diet. My DH has Type 2 diabetes also.

Sounds like your little purple and silver tree will have lots of white on it for Christmas.

We are supposed to have a couple more decent days. Cold but no snow until Saturday. But they are saying if the conditions are just right we could get a foot of snow. I sure hope the stars don't get in alignment for that party.

Going to get all the feed dipped up tonight for tomorrow so I can go into town with DH. It will be the only day I have to do my shopping. He has an appointment with the foot doctor at the wound care clinic. He got a CPAP machine yesterday so he needs some distilled water.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2010

Post #8273104

Cold, cloudy and breezy. Our high was around 23 or so. Snow been pushed back to early Friday so I have tomorrow to do whatever then deal with the snow. Still predicting around 3 to 5 inches.

Old barn in northern MO. Took pic as we were whizzing by.

Thumbnail by pepper23

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2010
9:02 PM

Post #8273239

Nice pic. I love old barns.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 23, 2010
12:17 AM

Post #8273294

Rusty, Happy Belated Birthday! I'm sorry to hear about diabetes...take care!

Just a quick note...it's like spring here, a bit foggy in the morning.

Adina
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #8273386

Rusty, some meters allow blood sticks on the arm where it doesn't hurt like finger sticks. You could get very sick if the medicine works too well and you get low blood sugar. I have had Type 2 since 2002. It can be managed and is worth it to feel better.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #8273525

Sorry about the diagnosis of Diabetes type 2, Rusty. You need to really be careful about your sugar intake and keep a close eye on your blood sugar levels.
My DD and her family and I are going shopping today in Springfield, MO and also in Branson, MO. It will be a full day. Tomorrow we are having brunch here at DD's house and then going over to Rogers AR later in the day to attend the Christmas Eve service at one of the DGD's church. Christmas day will be quiet as most of the family will be going to spend time with the other side of each family.

Weather here for today:
# Today: Cloudy early with peeks of sunshine expected late. High 47F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Light rain or freezing rain becoming likely late. Low 31F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precip 40%.

Merry Christmas and hugs to everyone!
redheadclan
Vail, AZ

December 23, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #8273662

We finally got some rain. .35f an inch over night.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 23, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #8273665

New thread to replace this long one;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1146135/

Please post there! This one is closed.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America