-
AuthorContent
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #8240986

Rule number one is HAVE FUN! If you can't bring a sense of humor or a smile to the party don't come.

Rule number two is about the "gifting" of birthday goodies. New plan that I hope will solve the problems of most of the people with financial issues. All goodies must fall into one of these 3 categories:

1. A handmade or crafted something that you do. Most everyone I know on DG sews, paints, crafts or does some sort of hobby that they could share in some small way with the birthday people. If it is only a handmade card that you can send for $.44 that is terrific. This is not supposed to be about the gifts, but the giving. If any of you have joined thinking that you are going to have some bodacious birthday haul of expensive items, think again.

2. Second category would be plants. Hey we are a gardening forum after all. A lot of folks have extras or starts or cuttings. Send what you can afford to ship.

3. Gift cards for plants, or gardening related items or anything else that people have mentioned in their wishlists. I am not going to set an amount. Make it whatever your budget allows. Once again it is about the thought and the effort. There has been discussion of using the gift card idea and people thought that wasn't fair for the birthday person to have to pay shipping on their own gift. Seriously now, how many of you are going to go to Bluestone or Almost Eden and just get a couple of things? Come on. If you are going to go shopping there you are probably going to spend more than the gift card anyway so the shipping is just part of that. Anyone that does crafts would love a card to Micheals or JoAnns etc. I know I would. Keep in mind a lot of gift cards can be done online eliminating the postage issue all together.

Now that we have the ground rules set I encourage everyone to go to the New Likes and Dislikes link and adjust their posts accordingly. List your plant wants. List the places you like to shop or would like a gift card from.

Current Members:

Rouxcrew (Joy) Jan. 15
deepseas72(Ben) Feb.1
ClanCampbell (Chris) Feb.28
MaggieHanson (Maggie) March 10
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) April 9
Janaestone - (Dianae) April 12
Merrymath (Mary) April 28
Crit (Patti) May 10
tikipod (Angie) August 8/12
GAgirl1066 (Paula) Sept. 1
Ridesredmule (Charlene) Oct. 1
Rvnsbrk - (Juanita) Oct 9
GardenQuail (Michelle) October 28
Sherman99 (Karen) December 3
Hope43 (Hope) Dec. 28

New Likes/ Wants Thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1107561/

This message was edited Dec 9, 2010 8:20 AM

This message was edited Dec 20, 2010 3:17 PM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #8240990

Welcome again to our new members. As you can tell from past discussions, anything goes!

We do like to see pictures of the things you get , so please take a quick snapshot and tell us all about it!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #8241036

Neener, i think I didn't get a present to GardenQuail, Did I miss it or is she new????
I have to find out.
Know Ben is new, Michelle, I missed, I'm sure...
Char
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 2, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #8241047

Charlene,
She just joined in the last couple of days, so you are good. You haven't missed anyone. How's Charlie, got his winter coat on?
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #8241123

*nomnom noodles* Aloha everyone. Having lunch and watching the birdies outside. They finally found my suet blocks, birdseed and mealworms. I had to take the feeder down in Summer due to complaints.

How is the weather everyone?
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #8241175

sunny and warm right now but cold tonight.

who would complain about feeding birds?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #8241184

Looks like Winter's officially here. Highs in the 40's for the next week and flurries are expected Saturday night. Can't stand that white stuff. Send me some Hawaiian sunshine :)

Hope you veterans of the Club are enjoying your calendars. There should be two little bookmarks in the jacket if you haven't already discovered them.

Ooh those Orchid blooms are so pretty!

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #8241203

The person with the deck below mine. I figure he's not using the deck in winter so I'll put the feeders up. Some Robins showed up right when it was snowing heavily along with some other birds and no one is feeding them.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #8241230

Picked mine up from the PO today Susan, thanks so much! Didn't look for bookmarks, but found the lovely jar labels. I'll take that as a hint! LOL Just picked a bunch of persimmons (natives) today. We had a good frost (28) yesterday so I will be making my conserve this week end, although the weather is up to the 70's for the next few days and I might be hard pressed to stay inside.
My barn guys showed up today finally and only worked about 3 hours, just enough to get one end done and then left. I am hoping they will tackle that roof tomorrow, that second story is a bit high for my liking anymore.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #8241232

My dad and I just discovered Persimmons last month. I had to buy two packets of them from Costco today because I ate them all last month and Dad didn't get any lol.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #8241233

I got a funny card today with a JoAnn gift card inside. Thank you so much Di! I will be using that next week I bet. I like this birthday thing that goes on for months.

Off to the shower folks. See you round tomorrow.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #8241253

Expecting rain tonight and on through this weekend here.
Michelle
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #8241548

I can only wish for rain. Some crazy 'Alberta Clipper' is supposed to blow through starting in the wee hours of Sat morning and we are supposed to get the awful 4 letter word that is worse than any I know. The weather guys won't guess how much at this point - I think they're even dreading it. I'm supposed to work with DS at our local community Christmas celebration outside collecting canned good for the needy. I absolutely hate snow..hate. hate, hate it like you would not believe. I'm a horrible driver in it as well; for about the past 5-6 years I won't even drive in it. DH drives me anywhere I need to go if it s***s. I've hit people, a church, a few cars, a friend's house, a lot of trees, and landed in a bunch of ditches all due to that awful white stuff. And yes, I've lived here and dealt with it all 49 years of my life. Why I don't live in Florida or Arizona or So. Cal is beyond me - lol - okay, I'm done with my whine of the day ;)
deepseas72
Houma, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #8241559

Any of you nice birthday people have daylily seeds to trade?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #8242116

Di, I received a wonderful belated b'day gift and I love Lowes. Thank you so much. This is longest birthday I believe I've ever had, how wonderful!!! Thank you dear.
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2010
8:33 AM

Post #8242134

Hello everyone..

Susan i love birds and i had no calenders for coming yr. i love it its beautiful every page... thanks so very much i was so happy happy ..

everyone have a wonderful week end.

later have to try vacum and do anothe rload of wash for 2 people its 3 or 4 loads week he sweats awgul changes up to 4 times a day shirts and hoodies.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #8242158

Happy Birthday Sherman99!

We got a bunch of birds this am and a Flicker landed on my deck. One cat tried to get it (ran into the window) and the other other got scared and fell off the tower.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #8242217

Good Lord..thanks tiki for keeping me straight!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAREN!!!! I am a terrible hostess. Should have been the first to bid you a happy day. Hope you get some more birthday boxes today.

Twyla I understand about the laundry. There are just 2 of us as well and I do 6 or seven a week with the linens and towels and stuff. Working on that as well today. If I don't let it get to far ahead it's a lot easier.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 3, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #8242395

Happy Birthday, Karen!! Hope you have a wonderful day!!
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2010
12:15 PM

Post #8242485

thank you everyone. maybe i should share with you that my family is really small, my daughter and her children and my son and i. thats it. my daughter moved away and i am having grandkid withdrawals and my son works for the forest service and is gone a lot. everyone here has made my birthday a wonderful day and i thank you very much.
finally got this disk reader thing so i could put the pics in this computer, please forgive me for putting everything together but i am really enjoying all your wonderful gifts.

Thumbnail by sherman99

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2010

Post #8242511

Looks great to me.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2010
12:57 PM

Post #8242560

Happy birthday, Karen!!! Hope my card made it to you. If it hasn't yet, it should arrive any day :) (If it's in the picture, my apologies--I'm blind, so I can't see them. A short text description of what's in the pics would be helpful. Thanks!)
About to go post my likes/dislikes... :)
Have a great day all!
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #8242602

Sorry, Ben. I don't grow daylilies. But I hope you find the seeds you're looking for!
Michelle
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #8242791

Happy birthday, Karen - hope you have a wonderful, happy birhtday this year!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #8242798

Hey Di,

you getting the "S" word yet???
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #8242938

Karen, Happy Birthday, Dear Friend! I didn't know if you liked to work puzzles but sent one anyway with a CA theme. In your Zone, you should be able to plant the Amaryllis and Canna rhizomes, or put them in pots somewhere they won't freeze. I know how you feel about not having much family. It's just hubby and me, his mother about an hour away, and my SIL in Texas. So I take pride in the many friends I've made here and think of each of you as a member of my family.

OMG Di, you've hit everything imaginable. And you're still in one piece? That nasty stuff's headed our way tomorrow, possibly 2" and will be the first snowfall this Winter. That's about my limit as far as venturing out. Give hubby a foot or more of snow, a 4-wheel drive, and he's like a kid at Christmas. Not me, baby. No way, no how.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #8242991

Running late again, Happy Birthday Karen!!! I wll be packing your present Sunday, then will probably tote it around in the HHR for days forgetting to mail it, gg.
Don't miss driving in the snow, I remember sitting in my apartment at school watching the people slide down the hill, across the hill, over the edge of the hill, and crash like kid's toys. Yep, you can keep the snow and ice.

Joy
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #8243083

Happy birthday Karen!! My present should be getting there either tomorrow or Monday :)

Ben, it's too bad that I didn't know you a couple of years ago.. when my DH passed away, I had about 15 different varieties of daylilies that we had planned on planting that spring. I wound up selling them very cheaply (she refused to let me just give them to her!) to a dear friend from DG, along with that many varieties of cannas too.
I'll look through my seeds, but I don't believe I have daylilies..alot of other stuff, but not those lol

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #8243492

Put it in the front seat Joy!! I have an HRR and I love it.
I feel the same about you all as there is just dh and myself,
But know I can come on here and see all my friends. ((((()))))
hugs to all.
sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #8243723

Hi all havent been here for awhile busy busy getting my familys christmas ornaments made all 30 some
hope all had a good thanksgiving
sent the dec birthdays out let me know if you get them
sissy70 judy c.
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2010
11:59 AM

Post #8243964

more gifts, thank you so much to hope43/twyla, sissy70/judy, gardenquail/michelle and janaestone/di

birthday cards, lowes gift card, seeds, bracelet, ornament, garden gloves and windchimes
wonderful gifts lovely cards
thank you thank you thank you
sherman/karen

Thumbnail by sherman99

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #8244321

Susan, Ray and I love the calendar. Thank you so much.
Love you lady.
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #8244356

Hey neener...we ended up getting around 3 inches of the awful white stuff. It started late last night and was just steady for most of the day. Luckily, it was the wet, heavy kind and melted right away on the road. All roads here are clear, though, of s*** and Di... ;) My DH is the same way, Fruity, and that man can get through any amount of s***fall. His mom said he's been like that since he first started driving - wasn't one bit afraid or nervous the first time he went out even and hasn't been ever since. Looks like it's on it's way over to you guys now. Thanks heavens it's leaving here!
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #8244367

SuzieQ, got my calendar too.. it's BEAUTIFUL! And yes, I noticed that you got my cardinals in there :-) You're a special lady, my friend!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #8244510

The calendars are not Christmas presents, but rather a little something to let each of you know how much I appreciate your friendship. It was so much fun picking themes to match your likes or lifestyles best I could since some of you I know better than others. Ben and Michelle, yours will go out in Monday's mail and am looking forward to getting to know you better.

We ended up with about 2" of the heavy wet stuff, thought it had quit til I just went out to take this pic and noticed it's still spitting. When I ran errands this afternoon, it was comin' down to beat the band and thought I best pay attention to the roads since the temp in my car said 33. Eons ago, I took a wild ride on black ice and plowed into a neighbor's mailbox mounted on a strong metal post. That's the only thing that stopped me from landing in their ditch or worse. OMG it happened so quick, like my car was on roller skates and had a mind of its own. When the whoosh was over, I was facing the wrong direction!

This message was edited Dec 4, 2010 9:58 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #8245259

Hey Fruit Loop, DH says if you want us to move anywhere within a thousand miles of you don't tell me about snow already. :0)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #8245349

FOTV, you are such a sweetie for sending the calendars. Thanks you again!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #8245422

Still thinking about that tropical island with warm breezes and tiny umbrellas stuck in drinks...

Frozen Fruity
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2010
12:03 PM

Post #8245431

I'm with you on the island. i'll mix the drinks. :0)

Nippy Neener
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 5, 2010
12:18 PM

Post #8245454

Well, Fruity..unfortunately, late last night I got a hysterical call from DD; she had her 'whoosh' moment due to black ice. We're not sure if the car is totalled or not at this point. We'll find out tomorrow sometime. She was taking her friend back home - whose mom and dad would not let her drive last night - and was on her way back home when she took a shortcut road and went around the curve and bam!, spun around twice ending up in the wrong direction. She's 19 and was terrified being out on this deserted road all by herself and the car wrecked besides knowing the talking-to she was gonna get from her dad who had told her not to do anything stupid like drive in the snow with all the black ice. We live out in the middle of the country surrounded by farms but where she wrecked was only 10 minutes from our house luckily. What I don't get is why he keeps wandering around the house muttering something about 'like mother, like daughter'!!

Seriously though, she is alright and that's the most important thing. She is very shaken right now and every time she sees her car she starts crying - we had it towed back to our house. She was wearing her seat belt and is a bit sore but that's about it.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #8245539

Dang it, Di. How awful. The best news is she's alright. Cars can be replaced, our family members can't. Guessing she'll be a more cautious driver now and heed the warnings.
(((HUGS)))

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #8245557

Black ice is worse than snow. I've done the same thing. When I was 19 and in nursing school I was going to school one morning on I-83. Next thing I know I'm going southbound in the northbound lane! Fortunately there wasn't a lot of traffic that morning and I managed to get myself turned around in the right direction. That was one of those "come to Jesus" moments. :))
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2010
1:32 PM

Post #8245561

black ice is such a scary thing. no control whatsoever, just hit it and slide. i am glad she ok !!!!!!!!!
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #8245678

Hi, all!
Well, I must say, as a child, I loved the snow. And when we moved to Oregon, where we rarely got it, I then said the only reason for it to be cold was to have snow. But, now, I'm in California, and I just plain hate being cold! It would certainly be quite a challenge for me to get around if everything was all covered with snow! Would be quite a novelty here though! But I don't think I really miss it all that much now :) It's amazing how our views of things change over time. :)
Those of you living where you get it, stay warm and safe!
Di, I'm glad to hear your daughter is all right. And I hope things work out with her car.
Susan, that tropical island does sound nice!
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #8245698

Karen, sounds like you've received some nice things for your birthday!
What kind of seeds and ornament did you get? My husband and I have quite an ornament collection--we've been exchanging them for Christmas since before we got married. And my guide dogs have all enjoyed hitting the after-Christmas sales to get us ornaments, too! We like to find ones that remind us of something special that happened that year.
I bet those windchimes sound pretty :) Makes me think of nice warm gentle breezes blowing to softly ring them!
Michelle
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #8245705

We get more ice than snow here. If there is ICE, I go NO WHERE. I won't even attempt to go to work as we have 18 miles of curves and hills from where we are to where I work. I REFUSE to try to go in, I value me more than that!!! Work knows I won't attempt it. I use to go when I could take the wide, several lane highways, but not since we have moved.

OK Fruity ... include me on the island.

P-p-p-p-prozen Patti (take off from frozen... stuttering 'cause my lips are cold! lol) Whattayamean it looks like Prozac????? Hmmmmm, that might work too. :-))
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #8245718

Thanks, Susan! I'll be watching my mail! Last Christmas, a friend gave me a calendar with some beautiful nature scenes. I have it hanging up near the dining room table where my husband and our visitors can see it and enjoy the lovely pictures. And I had my husband describe them to me so I could enjoy them, too. Been wondering what to put there for next year :)
Michelle

This message was edited Dec 5, 2010 3:25 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #8245828

It'll be in the wind tomorrow morning, Michelle :)

We usually get snow. Then it's a total mess when it melts and runs down the roads and freezes instantly or for sure overnight. We have a few convenience stores locally, but it's 16 miles to the nearest town, and believe you me, I stock up on food and hibernate.

ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #8245955

Hey Karen, did you get my package yet? I sent it out on the first, so hoping it didn't get lost! The tracking number says that it was delivered yesterday..

Michelle, if you like windchimes..I'll be hosting a windchime swap in February :) You're always welcome to join us!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #8246033

Anybody here will enjoy it. Mine are tinkling in the wind as we speak. Windchimes are hubby's favorites, just can't get enough of them even if we don't have many trees and end up using the underhang of our decks and porches. Is it February yet?
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2010
11:52 PM

Post #8246305

Chris, thanks for the invite :) But I'll have to think about it... I do like listening to windchimes, but we don't have many places to put them. I Have some, somewhere around here, that haven't gotten put up since we moved here seven years ago. One of the ones I have is a chime made of driftwood and shells. I don't know what kind of shells they are, but they are long slender ones, about the thickness of green beans. It's more delicate than I'd want to put outside. Need to find a good place indoors again for it. Hmmm, perhaps this will at least be a good motivation to get them back up where I can enjoy them! That would be nice...
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2010
1:32 AM

Post #8246319

Karen, what kind of Amaryllis did you receive? I really like them--it's fun to watch them grow! And some are fragrant, too...
Oh, and meant to add: If you haven't grown these before... If you plant the Amaryllis in a pot now and keep it indoors, it will bloom in the next several weeks (varies from variety to variety, etc). If you plant it in the ground outside, it will likely not bloom until the spring. Oh, and be aware that snails like Amaryllis flower buds. Discovered this several years ago the hard way :(
Michelle

This message was edited Dec 6, 2010 1:40 AM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2010
4:06 AM

Post #8246373

My hubby and I like windchimes too. I have a triple plant hanger (the kind you stick in the ground on a pole) I put 2 plants on it and a windchime. lol

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #8246463

Windchimes and rocks, so much to remember!!
rocks in Jan.
chimes in Feb. ☺☺
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #8247145

Chris-thank you so much- I love my cat !!!!!!!!!!!!

i am not at home and the borrowed computer i use is in a differnt place, so there is some delay in my postings. for that i apologize.

(i am being driven back and forth from one place to another while my house is worked on)

This message was edited Dec 6, 2010 12:21 PM
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #8247354

forgot the pic sorry

Thumbnail by sherman99

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #8247472

Sissy, i got the seeds and the tiny metal angel is so cute . thanks. will get a picture when can will have to put it on white to get pic of it never saw one that small..love angels.

Its very cold here get under all blankets still cold.. old houses lots drafts and wood only heats living room.. I a have apple pie in oven to try heat it up to.

Be well, safe blessings..
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #8247483

I agree hope...it's c-c-c-c-c-ooooooold here
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #8247647

Hello dear friends, Hope you all are well and happy.
Karen thank you so much for the postage money order. I will send to you anytime and will post to that fact.
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #8247726

thank you
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #8247777

What a sweet kitty birdhouse, Karen. I can empathize with the pitfalls you're going through renovating. Hang in there.

Since growing Amaryllises are your passion, Michelle, would you mind being my go-to person for questions about growing them? I only have a few and you'll be first in line if and when mine produce seeds. Two of the four last year did and shared them with other DG'ers. We live in Zone 7A so I keep mine inside in pots til our last chance of frost has passed til about mid-May before I set them outside in an area that gets indirect sun most of the day. "Desire" is a new one that was in full flush Thanksgiving. Her orange blooms are finished for the time being but do have several others with buds that are "about to".

Twyla, you're our next Birthday gal and have gathered a few ideas from yours wants list. Yesterday's apple pie I baked wasn't very good, just didn't have much sugar since about the only thing I use it for is hummingbird food in the Summer. Snuggle in the covers and stay as warm as you can, Hon.
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #8248664

sissy here is picture i finally got smart put on enev. to see them thanks blessings

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #8248670

this time think got it looks so big here

Thumbnail by hope43

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2010
2:23 PM

Post #8248916

Dear Dec birthdays, I'm going to be late getting my gift out to you. I'm going to try and get them out when I mail out my best friends gift.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #8249068

I found what I want to send to Twyla..now to find the box it'll fit into! :) But hey, I'm still ahead of the game! Woohoo!! But I sure want to get it in the mail soon, cause we all know how crazy delivery will be around Christmas time..

Waving hi to Faye!! How are you, sweet lady??

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #8249083

I want to know what I have to do to get a birthday like Angie (tikipod)? It would be so cool to have a four day birthday. ROFLMAO
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #8249134

took me a minute to get that one !
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #8249266

Hi Chris, waving right back at you. Thank you for remembering me. LOL, and you knew I would be here!
Stay well and happy and hugs to you all.
Faye
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2010
7:39 PM

Post #8249274

I got Karen and Twyla's sent out before the 1st, so I am good until January rolls around. I even surprised myself!!!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2010
11:12 PM

Post #8249567

lol rouxcrew ... That's actually a scary thought - 4 days of turning 30.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #8250192

Alas...30.. I vaguely remember it. Someone sent me apricot colored roses. It's been all downhill since then. :0)
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #8250201

I'm excited for my 30th birthday partially because I will be spending the day on the beach. Which reminds me, you folks might want to hold off on sending cards until Mid August. I'm afraid that with our substitutes I'll have to use a crowbar to open the mailbox when we get home. (We have a very small mail box lol)
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #8250202

my youngest child is 30. sigh...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #8250226

Can't be any worse than a month of 64!!!!
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #8250669

OH.. I understand what you mean, Michelle!! I had no problem with me turning 50, even 55.. but when my youngest turned 30, I went into a depression and felt so OLD... she told me I couldn't do that cause SHE was the one who should be depressed about it :-)
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 8, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #8250723

PLOP!

I would like to join this fun group! My birthday is April 28.

I am planning on creating a bog garden ... mainly to attract toads and frogs ... in hopes of battling those horrible slugs!

The only way I can have marigolds or zinnias is to have them in planters ... those rotten slugs seems to strip them clean. So if any of you have items for me to use in a bog garden ... that woul make an excellent birthday present for me.

Mary
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #8250728

"Remember when...thirty seemed so old? Now lookn' back, it's just a steppin' stone." Alan Jackson

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #8250915

30! yep 40 + years ago...
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2010
12:42 AM

Post #8251246

Hi, all!
Finally got a chance to read all of the wonderful discussions that I missed the last few days :) A friend of mine once told me that she had ____ years of experience being 29! I've forgotten what number went in the blank... but I loved the way she chose to look at it :)
What I think is really neat is that no matter what our ages, we can all still have a great time together... We're all part of a community that encourages one another through sharing, whether it's words of wisdom, a special gift or card, a funny observation, a beautiful picture...
Welcome to the group, Mary!
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2010
1:13 AM

Post #8251250

Susan, I'd be happy to answer any questions about amaryllises that I can. I must admit, however, I don't have a large collection myself. Some of what I know is from observing mine growing; other things I've learned from reading about them. And if I don't know the answer, perhaps I can find out--I've now joined three forums that discuss them!
When Desire was blooming, did you happen to notice if it had a scent? I don't have this one yet. Of those that are blooming size, the closest in color of mine is Nagano which is a peach color. But I was just recently given some Hippeastrum Striatum bulbs that, as I recall, are an orange color. But they're not quite blooming size yet. And they're still recovering from shipping and transplanting.
I'm excited about my Blossom Peacock Amaryllis--I got it for my birthday. All through November, it looked like it wasn't doing anything, but it was actually growing roots and, as it turned out, an offset! And now it's growing a bud...a nice, large bud! And this one is supposed to be fragrant. Looking forward to it!
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2010
1:30 AM

Post #8251251

Susan, thanks for the calendar and card. They arrived Wednesday :) My husband doesn't know the names of all of the flowers in the calendar's pictures, but he says they're all very pretty! I've got the perfect spot for my new calendar!
And the card is great! The picture is raised enough that I can feel the holly tree's design with its little decorations and the pot that its in. We have a spot where we hang the Christmas cards we receive. Yours is the first one up this year :) Thanks again!
Michelle
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #8251367

Gotcha added up top Mary and welcome. It is nice to have new faces to come play with us.

Running out the door. Will catcha later..
deepseas72
Houma, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 9, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #8251388

Twyla,
From which stores would you be interested in gift cards?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #8251419

Welcome Mary. Since I have a bog, I may be able to help you get a start or two. They are frozen now but will brave thru the winter and keep on growing.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #8251620

I'm not worried about the age of 30 itself but the big deal people often make when one turns it. I'm actually excited to be turning 30 and I have the start of gray hair already. I don't dare complain because neither of my parents would tolerate it. Dad turns 67 this weekend and my poor mom's youngest is turning 30.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #8251725

My dad was 29 till the day he died. Funny how once you reach a certain age it is easy to forget the actual number because you never are asked any more. I have to do the math if someone asks nowadays. And I need a calculator and some trigonometry functions to get there.

Well Evan's Christmas present is blown, but it is ok. We had to stop by the trainer's today to unexpectedly pick up his dog because of a family emergency. It is a neat swap, I keep and train on his dog periodically and he is getting all the quirks out of the rescue horse. Well Evan was with me at breakfast this morning and came along. Everything was fine until the trainer's wife stepped up, introduced herself to Evan and asked how he liked the way his new horse was looking. (the horse was on the walker with some others). Of course Raymond and I both groaned, and she was totally devastated that she had spoiled the surprise.
Worst part is that Evan didn't get to ride or even pet the horse this morning because they were getting ready to leave. So he has to wait till after exams to "get" his present. Oh well, now naming ideas are needed. The horse was in rescue as Buddy, and I personally hate the name. We don't name animals here with human names, unless they are Disney/Pixar related. Those are Sully, Squishy, Buzz, Dug, Kevin, and Russell. (LGD's and peacocks) Our dogs are Crush, Lite, Sneak, Fizz, Rain, Fuse, and Baby Faye. Cats are Maizie, Tux, and Mister. Cows are Hunny, Sprite, Pollinate, and Bee.
Sox is the big black Clydesdale mare. Goats don't count, they came named except the ones y'all helped with, Judy, Patty, Pig, Crimson, Clover, Porch, and Gimp.
So give it up girls, any ideas? He is a big, chestnut (deep brown), gelding with a narrow blaze. The names that Raymond called him at first don't count because they can't be repeated in public.
I don't have any pictures yet, I will stop in and get some first of the week.
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 9, 2010
9:58 AM

Post #8251823

My brother has named all his dogs over the years names relating to weather conditions: Flurry, Stormy, Thunder, Drizzle, and a few others I can't remember. DS thought that was cool to have a 'theme' going on so when he started in to rabbits we had spices: Spice, Flour, Sugar, Paprika, Salty, Pepper, Nutmeg, etc...drove me crazy when he's start going through my spice racks looking for something so he could name the newest kits.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2010
12:01 PM

Post #8251956

Gonna think on a name Joy and get back to you. Hmmm...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #8254026

My horses are Brutus, Babe and Buddy!!! lol He was named that when we got him and just left it.

Dogs are Pistol and Polly. I go with names that have the same first letter, can ya tell????

Thumbnail by Crit

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #8254056

Love your horses!!! I have different tastes when it comes to names than most folks. I have known several horses named Buddy in my time and it didn't bother me, but they weren't mine. I tend to have stories behind any of the names my animals have, either in their registered names, "Lite" is RC's Strike a Match, or in their call names, Dug is from the movie Up, and is so like his namesake. When the boys were little our guardian dogs and barn cat names tended to come from the movies they watched and interestingly enough they wanted to keep the tradition with the young ones. Maizie is actually Maizie Cattermole from Harry Potter.
Crit do you ride? What discipline?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #8254060

My Dad was forever young too, and was 29 for well over 40 years. I like the spicy names Di mentioned. If you go that route, the first one I thought about for Evan's new gelding is Alum since he has a white blaze and your surprise was totally ruined.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #8254070

Like my Chickens Jethrina was thought to be Jethro til she grew old enough to tel. Abigail is my rescue hen. NCIS, I love it. Just could name Jake anything but Jake. My sebright went a long time with no name, then he became "Lil Champ"
Charley, Isabelle and Annabelle came with their original names. I got too many critters I also have Missy, Lucas, Lucky Brutus and Radar O'Reilly, these are my dogs and Kaluah but I don't have him yet, he is a new puppy(gotta wait til Jan.)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2010
8:49 PM

Post #8255460

One day I'd like to have free roaming chickens, Char, and a pair or two of Llamas. They're such gentle animals and we have a rescue group of them locally. We have plenty of room, just have to convince hubby the extra mouths to feed are a good idea. It seems like yesterday when I earned a piddly allowance peddling fresh eggs to neighborhood folks and delivered them in the basket of my bicycle. Last September, friends of ours built a chicken coop before they rescued a rooster and several Bantam chicks. They're pretty chickens but I don't know the name of their breed. The Rooster kept pecking the hens so badly, he wound up being Sunday friend chicken.

Did any of you catch "It's A Wonderful Life" tonight? One of my all-time favorite movies.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2010 10:33 AM
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #8255465

Didn't catch the movie but man I love Llamas. I have actually had someone attempt to sell me a Llama but I'm not sure the condo association would dig that.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2010
9:45 PM

Post #8255501

Didn't catch the movie... listening to the San Jose Sharks versus the Chicago Blackhawks hockey game. They're in the third period, tied 1 to 1. Good game! Go Sharks!!!
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2010
10:23 PM

Post #8255521

WOOHOO! Sharks won!!! Overtime, 2 to 1, Sharks! Even my dog celebrated with me... Ran around, wagged his tail, spun around in a circle, and found his nylabone to chew on LOL :)
Michelle

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2010
5:15 AM

Post #8255690

My Boston Terrier and Chihuahua was playing this morning too.
I would love to see a llama and touch it. I would want one I know, they are so cute, they remind me a lot of Camels. I love animals, but DH has me on "restriction" seems he thinks I don't need any more"mouths to feed" I Love critters.
BIL brought me over some ducks, they are so cute. I love to hear them quack. Would love a mini Donkey or a horse. Like a Chihuahua, they think they are BIG animals and can whip the world. So cute.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #8255786

Hello Ladies and Gent!!

Missed you all yesterday. Never got online which is unusual for me. Now I can't get it all read.

Love those horses Patti. Wish I could be there to give them a snuggle.

Twyla, hope you are doing well. There should be goodies headed your way. Hope you enjoy them.

Love you guys!
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #8256018

Jaunita , Neener thanks so very very much the blanket is beautiful and needed.. its on bed already.. was so cold last night it will be big help.. love it and your card was beautiful they all are. and the purple socks great feet snuggled in.. thanks you make me feel so good happy.. many blessings. happiness.
\
hit d so had to put e in blanket..lol.

Everyone be well, safe, warm..Many blessings..

This message was edited Dec 12, 2010 11:19 AM

Thumbnail by hope43

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2010
9:25 AM

Post #8256030

Crit beautiful horses. i just pick a name now i have ideas .. but no more animals .. keeps getting cats dumped on us.. horrible people just leave themany where... I'm sitting right on expressway going to Sand S.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #8256035

My Dad has me on a pet restriction - no more cats. I have two opportunities that Dad has put his foot down on. One neighbor is moving and leaving behind his indoor cat, which he hasn't been able to find a home for. The other is a stray I believe is the baby of the calico I caught in 2009. She had a litter of long haired cats, both Calico and white. At least he said absolutely nothing about Tarantulas.
deepseas72
Houma, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2010
10:49 AM

Post #8256137

Susan,
Thank you for the lovely calendar. John and I were arguing over whose office it was going to. You are so thoughtful.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #8256367

Lovely blanket, Twyla. Give me names of a couple stores convenient to you where you like to shop.

You're welcome, Ben. I take it the calendar is now in your office...lol

Unless you all need your old 2010 calendars for recordkeeping, please send them to Neener if you can since our hostess with the mostest recycles calendars to make envelopes for her gorgeous handmade cards.

Listen to this crazy thing. I opened my 2011 planner, it goes everywhere with me, and at the end of June the darn thing starts over with January. Me thinks there was a severe snafoo during collating.
deepseas72
Houma, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #8256505

Twyla,
I'm bringing your package to the post office tomorrow morning :0)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #8256519

Neener, You want my Donkey Calendars?? I get them at Tractor supply, Love them. I have differnt donkeys for every month. I'm stuck with the same three little clowns, I need to make a Caledar, don't I?? and Charley. Here is At and Charley having a serious conversation. Probably about the hats they have on ☺

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #8256636

Char I'll take any calendars you want to send. Chances are you'll get a card back someday with an envelope made from one of yours. :0)

Twyla so glad the blanket made it there. That was a true labor of love my friend because I don't sew worth a darn anymore, but I just had to try it for you. Knew that would help to keep you warm. It should wash up nice and soft as well.

We are in the deep freeze for the whole next week. I don't like this. Not one bit. :(((

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2010
12:23 AM

Post #8257138

Wish I had some good ideas for names for that horse! But I haven't thought of any yet, other than real obvious ones like "Chestnut" or "Blaze" ... Hmmm, or how about "Flash"? Was just thinking that if he's running, that white blaze might just "flash" by...
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2010
12:40 AM

Post #8257141

Ang, your comment about your dad saying "no more cats" reminds me of something that happened when I was growing up. My best friend's family had several cats at the time. They kept some food both inside and outside for their cats, so I'm sure that contributed to stray cats wanting to adopt their home as theirs. Well, one day, a sweet little kitten came along. It SO much wanted to come in, but my friend's dad said" "No more cats!" Well, some time later... "something" ran through the house. Her dad saw it, and demanded to know, "What was that!" Her mom calmly replied, "Oh, just a mouse." And the name stuck forever after! LOL She sure was a sweet cat! Use to joke that she was mine, just that she lived with them :) Of course, I spent many a weekend there, too!
Michelle
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #8258818

Recollections like yours, Michelle, make my day. Keep them coming :)

Hey, Joy, check out the Prickless cactus you gave me. Is that topknot the beginning of a bloom? I knew it had rooted by doing the tug test, but I swear it didn't have any top growth last week when I watered.

Gotta go to bed...don't want to be late for a very important date tomorrow :)

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2010
9:27 AM

Post #8259691

Juanita, i love it.. its warm to..lol.

To be honest i do not shop much.. (budget) when need have to have something run wal marts or k marts . $ stores for cleaning things need.. Big lots.. i go and look look then got my feel i leave wal marts.. lol.

Everyone be well blessings...

OH Charleen a donkey calender would be so nice.. Charlie rest are beauts. adorable..

Faye tthanks so much i can pamper myself..lol. thank you ...and angels were so sweet sitting on top of tv leaning aganist your card.picture will come.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #8259751

Twyla, I mailed your birthday present yesterday. You should get it tomarrow. Let me know dear.
Charleen
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #8259756

Oh Charleen ,so happy and excited pks. for me.. thanks thanks..

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #8259769

No Calendar but lots of good stuff, just for you. Hope you like it.
I enjoyed getting things to fill box for you.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #8259776

Could be a bloom starting Fruity, Ours don't bloom this time of year, but it is inside so who knows. Might just be a pad, but keep us posted, it should grow rather quickly.

Has anyone heard from Karen? Sent a package with plants and hate to think she hasn't opened it.

Twyla, I hopefully will send yours out this week. I am supposed to be making jams today and haven't gotten started yet!

Fruity and Neener, I make the trail mix from scratch, there are so many fillers that they put in them I don't like and some I can't eat so I do my own. And no I don't actually dry my own fruit!

Joy
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #8260251

sorry to not respond sooner, spent yesterday at drs for 3 diff. appoints and just came home, tried to use computer but went to bed.
Joy- i recd the plants and the many other wonderful things you put in the box, was waiting be able to take apic to post. not nice to wait, should have said thank you right away without the picture. (i already ate all the nuts cause i love them !) the plants are in pots. hate to admit this but i do not know what they are, so did not want to put them outside. but they are green and have roots and are more plants for me, so i am happy. you are very kind and generous. thank you

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #8260843

I am glad to hear you got the box, Karen, I was worried it was sitting somewhere unloved. The plants are baby ponytails and if I am remembering correctly, there is a pup starting on the side of one of them. They are tropical and will do ok in the house or outside when it warms up.
The pecans are to die for, they disappear here quickly too.
Hope the dr.'s appt's went well,

Joy
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2010
8:42 PM

Post #8260847

no birthday present will ever go unloved in this house ! I am just going back and forth between here and my daughters and using a borrowed computer till i get a new one, so i am not very reliable about posting right now, for which i apologize. now i am off to look up ponytails !!

thank you again
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #8261096

Joy I thought maybe that trail mix was homemade for that exact reason. No weird stuff that nobody ever eats!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #8261263

Neener,
The batch I made yesterday has cantaloupe! Never have seen dried cantaloupe and although I don't like it fresh, I must admit that the dried has promise. Same with dried bananas. I personally can't stand them although when I tasted the chips I use now, I loved them. Don't know what they do or don't that is different, but it makes a difference.
I don't like peanuts either, except at ball games and in Reeses, gg. When Seph was in Iraq, I used to send 3 and 4 pounds of trail mix in a box for his troop. They would email me to tell me what they didn't like and I would "customize" it for them. That, my bread and butter jalapenos and my pineapple habanero jam were about all any of them wanted.

Temp is back up to 55 with a high of 75 today, still no rain. Getting close to new lamb time!!!!! Dave has started a pool with my students on what day the first lamb will arrive. We always manage to have a Christmas lamb, and of course it gets named. Names like: Rudolf, Noel, Merry, Murray, Santa, Hope, Ed, (just kidding).

Joy
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2010
10:24 AM

Post #8261681

WOW Joy it seems like it just was lambing time. It all goes by so quickly at this age. :0)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #8262235

Here is a picture of ????? Stopped by to give Evan a good look at his new pony.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #8262388

Hello Everyone..

Carleen its wonderful .. so awesome . i was so excited when seen box. .i spread my mickey mouse throw on the nasty dirty chair think i got everyhting in it. i love it all. soap i love had wash once. Necklaces i love . i will wear the ankle bracelet, the bracelet and the necklace all at once, love Jewelry but lost most mine.. well actually all. the Birdhouse is so awesome. my husband is from aUGUSTA gA. SORRY HIT CAPS. The scarf when i go outsaide will use and in house as a shawl around shoulders..scissors be handy and the seeds of course. And love the hummingbirds hang in window, we never have tree my husband does no holidays no occassions... sory rambled on and bored everyone else.lol..
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #8262402

oops forgot picture trying..

Thumbnail by hope43

ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #8262507

Wonderful stuff you got there, Twyla! Good for you :) That birdhouse is adorable.. hopefully you have a place to hang it where you can watch it and see who moves in!
Sweetie, you never bore us and it's so neat to see you writing so much.. keep it up! :)

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #8262698

You took the words out of my mouth, Chris.

(((Hugs, Twyla))) Write often and as long as you like til your heart's content! We all love you and enjoy hearing from you. I mailed your B-day box this morning.

Char, you're a sweet GA peach!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2010
3:20 AM

Post #8262897

Yes roux, I've ridden since I was a little girl. Got my first Welch Pony when I was 3 and been in the saddle ever since. Western Pleasure. Don't do any competition anymore. My husband had a horse when he was a kid, but just rode it around like kids do. He's been a real trooper learning about caring for them and what to do and not to do, so we can ride together. We just ride the back roads around our house for pleasure. I LOVE riding!!!!! Long story about my horses from my first marriage, so I hadn't had any for about 8 years. We bought a house outside of town last year, so I could have horses again.

Oh, thank you for the compliment
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2010
3:39 AM

Post #8262911

FOTV ... I LOVE 'It's a Wonderful Life'. My Christmas season is not complete until I get to watch it ... at LEAST ONCE.

rrm, I grew up with Boston's. My momma use to raise them. I had a couple mini horses. Kids were going to do 4-H with them, but the contests ended up being too far away for us to be able to do it.

Pretty blankie Twyla!

Beautiful pony roux. Is it a Chestnut?? Hard to tell in pics sometimes.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #8263089

Wonderful presents Twyla!!!! I have been looking for something special for you, but I don't really ever just go shopping but I saw a place that has it near me. I plan on stopping in today.

Patti, I would call him chestnut, he is really rich brown, not lighter anywhere, and his tail seems darker than his body. I used to show horses for years, have done most disciplines except dressage, but I loved reining the most. I, like you, had horses till I divorced, then we got into rescuing the PMU mares out of Canada, helping them find homes. That is how I ended up with the Clydesdale mare who is simply a pasture pretty. She had a "friend" for several years, a 18.2 hand Clyde gelding from Canada who I drove to cart. We lost him almost two years ago and she has been very lonely.
I am very excited about the new guy, maybe I will actually be able to lose that midlife weight I have gained when I start riding again. He still has a few issues, mostly dealing with being spoiled, but Raymond says he is good to go. I can fix the issues to keep him safe for Evan. Still no name though.
This smile says it all for me.
Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #8263101

awwwwwww, that is toooooo sweet!!!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #8263110

Evan will find him a name of his own. Just a matter of time, Joy. It is a beautiful animal.
Twyla, i wanted to get you things I thought you might like or use. I'll telll Robert (DH) you love the birdhouse. He will be happy to hear it. I am so glad you like everything. Hugs Girl...
thank you all.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #8263172

Oh Joy!!! Evan looks thrilled. How about the name "Vermillion"? Wild thought thats all.

Look what was blooming this morning. This is the orchid you brought in September.

Twyla you talk all you want hon. We love to hear from you. So glad you getting some things that you can use.

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #8263200

Meriah, the wind: is a horsey name.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #8263296

I sent out Karen's package last week and Twyla's yesterday. I just realized I did not note I was tikipod on or in the package :/ Angela C would be me, just so you know :-)
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #8263456

Tiki:
went out to put some outgoing mail in my box, and there was your gift. wasnt there yesterday and i know the mail was not delivered at 8am, so not sure what is going on, probably delivered to a neighbor in error who put it in my box. Anyway, thank you so very much for the seeds and bulbs. all are ones that i wanted !

it is actually raining here today. kind of nice for a change. good baking weather !

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #8263513

My packages being delivered to a neighbors address is a regular occurrence here. Our regular mail lady is a gem but those pesky substitutes either stuff all my mail in one tiny box or deliver it to my neighbor lol.

Glad you liked them. :-)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2010
10:38 AM

Post #8263565

Some of my students are trying out Christmas names, Kringle, Nick, Claus. I feel like Vermillion would digress to Vermin. Evan kinda liked Cash, Dave liked Lucky (ugh). I like Mariah although it is a girl name. I haven't seen a name that screams at me so he might become Cash.

Isn't that bloom gorgeous!!!!! Obviously you are making it happy!

Love hearing from you Twyla!

Front just blew in, went from 70 to 50 in about 5 minutes with a 20 mph wind.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2010
10:45 AM

Post #8263578

Hello to all the Birthday Members. Just wanted to say to Joy...with that handsome smile, who is going to see the horse? Both beautiful.
Love & Hugs
Faye

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #8263615

Horse has gentle eyes. Know the boy is happy. Look at his face.
Your Birthday is next Joy. G☺t to get my thinking cap on. See what I can come up with.
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #8263738

I have been so so busy ... little time to find to be on-line.

Beautiful horse ... I particularly like the LIT CANDLE marking on his head ... makes me think of Christmas .. lit candles in windows.

Mary

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2010
12:47 PM

Post #8263763

could call him Flame, huh???
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #8263804

I like naming my horses after the military. Had a Sarge and a Colnel (sp?)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #8263974

Wow, Mary, I never saw it till you said what you did. I will have to look at him in the morning when I go to ride him with spurs at the trainer's. Want to make sure that I don't set him off before he comes home. I remember Flame from my young horse crazy days, Flame and The Black Stallion with the young boy, was it Eric Ramsey? And really don't remember the one who found Flame. Boy I loved those books.
Just started a vegetable soup using Ded Bob and vegies from the summer garden. Will be getting down to 38 tonight, not cold by some of y'all's standards, but it was in the 60's last night. Hmmmm, corn bread or crackers? Now that's a problem to ponder.

Joy
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #8263997

Ben your humming bird feeder just arrived our mail runs as late as 7- 7:30 at night but not suppose to ..Its cute did not know they would get on ground to eat.. will post picture. thanks so much..

i had no rest all night or today no sleep at all pain drove me nearly nuts but I'm getting by.. will take picture tomorrow. going to try sleep tonight..

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #8264017

Hope,
Must be going around, or in the air around Tulsa. Neither my husband or I could sleep the last 2 nights. Tried to sleep a little today. Stayed home from work. Hope we can sleep tonight.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #8264041

Crit I got your card today. Thanks!! No packages though, but it snowed all day.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #8264044

I believe it's the weather. I haven't been resting too well either.
It will get better Dear. DH was glad you liked the birdhouse Twyla.
Thank you...
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #8264080

the black stallion and flame. boy does that bring back memories ! can't remember the kid that rode flame either.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2010
11:06 PM

Post #8264428

Hey, Chris, thanks for the Christmas card! :)
Twyla, your birthday card is in the mail... and it's signed by me and my guide dog :)
Michelle
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #8264667

I remember The Black Stallion and Flicka. I don't remember Flame though. Flicka would be a good name, kinda looks like him!
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #8264972

Just thought of another really old horse show-does anyone remember Fury?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #8264978

Yep, Hi-Ho Silver awayyyyyyyyy!!!
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2010
9:31 AM

Post #8264983

Oh, i so wanted Silver when i was kid ! to be honest, still do

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #8264986

Roy rogers and Trigger, Dale and Buttermilk. Telling my age, those folks are "ghost riders in the sky" sons of the Pioneers. Whew!! i better hush up...☺
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2010
9:35 AM

Post #8264990

I lived for those shows and even watch them now. also gene autry and champion

almost forgot, cisco kid and diablo, but i cannot remember the name of the palomino the cisco kids sidekick rode.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2010 9:36 AM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #8265025

Poncho, I can't either. Too long ago. Unless you google it.
Joy, what kind of wagon did your big horse pull?? Got a picture??
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #8265027

Lordy Be I remember most of that stuff too ladies. Man, there is old and there is old as dirt. That's me!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #8265030

We're working on it, aren't we??? ☺☺☺ So funny!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2010
10:09 AM

Post #8265033

It beats being the dirt.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2010
10:19 AM

Post #8265044

Amen!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #8265114

Char, I was just looking in the computer and I cannot find it. I lost a bunch of photos when my last computer crashed. I don't see any of Shoes pulling the dog cart. It is a 52" two wheel spring cart, like you see in small villages overseas. Wasn't even a stretch for that big boy, he was 18.2 hands and around 1400 pounds. Was being sold for meat when we rescued him. Here he is with my oldest just before Seph shipped out to Iraq.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #8265132

ok had to watch a dvd but poncho's horse (did not even remember poncho) name is Loco.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #8265175

Loco is a good name. Joy that horse is beautiful. did i ever you you Loretta my first "Saddle mule"
she was a tall mule. Belgian cross. Just liked to eat too much while I was riding. Scared to death she was going to reach down to eat and I'd been eating grass with her.
I went snorkling from her, so I knew I could go flopping into the grass.

sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2010

Post #8265180

my biggest fear about falling off was losing my grip on the reins and having to walk home, horseless.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #8265198

Loretta and I went to this little trail and it had a nice little Creek we had to cross to get to other side. it was sort of hazardness, but this time she decided she needed a drink. I pulled up on the reins, my right foot came out of te stirrip and went snorkling. believe me it was cold water. Friend was on bank on her mule "Charleen, You better move cause, Clyde is coming down" I opened my eyes and was looking at a rock. I barely missed but I got up and Walked Loretta out found a Dip so I could mount her and off we went. Clyde is a mule too. big brown one. I miss the rides but know one thing for sure"if my right foot comes out of that stirrip I may as well my Rump Goodbye" I'm out of the saddle. So aggravating. Dh says I need Velcroe seat, Rollbars and a seat belt on my mule. ☺
He is a mess!
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #8265213

velcro would be good !! i just dont ride anymore. cant afford to fall off. i do miss it, everything is so peaceful when you are going down a trail just enjoying life.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #8265231

I know, i do miss it. I need an old womans mule, Charley is just 11 and is so full of "GO"
I wish you could see him prance. it is beautiful and so smooth. the last time I rode I thought I was a goner, so can't do that anymore. So beautiful to be there in that saddle and the woods are so peaceful and ful of beautiful sights. Yes, Dear. I miss it too, very much.
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #8265239

I would love to see him prance !
deepseas72
Houma, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #8265322

Question, ladies...I bought some pansies at Lowes. They were 50% off because they had become very leggy. Can you hack off half the plant, as you would with mums, in order to get the plant rejuvinated, or does it only bloom from the older growth?

This message was edited Dec 20, 2010 1:28 PM
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 17, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #8265517

Deepsea, pansies do better when they are pinched, it makes for a bushier plant and it will produce more flowers. Giv'em a haircut, but just take it off the top. LOL

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #8265588

Char, your old Belgian mule was great!!! Went to Raymond's and rode over an hour today on "the horse with no name". Wish it felt good to get out of the rain, but we still haven't had any. He is so good in so many ways and difficult in others. I hope to get him loping off easier for Evan, and get him a little more flexible for me. Funny, after not riding for umpteen years, I am already into tuning up mode.

Joy
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #8265623

I remember Fury. In fact, we had a Welch Pony named Fury. Don't remember the gene autry or cisco kid. Do remember Dale and Roy. I thought Buttermilk was a cute name for Dale's horse. Those were the days, huh?
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #8265638

When i was a child i was so horse crazy i watched any tv show that had a horse, read any book i could about horses. played with toy horses. never did grow out of it.
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2010
10:44 PM

Post #8265947

here is what got from tiki - ang. today yellow & orange crocos ,pk.. of seeds.. thanks so much..

This message was edited Dec 18, 2010 12:46 AM

Thumbnail by hope43

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2010
11:20 PM

Post #8265968

I have another picture to post thanks so very much Susan try get it to post tomorrow tried something not right . i was so pleased tickled my husband says i see box and my eyes light up and i get huge smile.. thnak you..
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2010
11:33 PM

Post #8265975

maybe this one will post the hummingbird feeder deepsea72 sent me. i love hummingbirds.. thanks so very much..

Thumbnail by hope43

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2010
4:44 AM

Post #8266066

Is that the one that you stick in the ground? I read someone talking about that, never seen those before. I'd be afraid of cats attacking the birds, but it would be really cool on a patio/porch stuck in a plant!!!
deepseas72
Houma, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #8266071

wish we could grow crocus down here.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #8266203

Why couldn't you refrigerate them and plant them in pots? Ben. Then when they finish their life cycle put them back in crisper pan til next year...Huh? Huh?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

December 18, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #8266244

Ben, I am sure we are very similiar in zones and I grew some last year for the first time. Just bought them at Lowes and planted them. They were so cute and I was so pleased when they started to bloom. I just regret that I did not dig them up and save them. I guess I will have to try some more. Give it a shot, never know.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #8266254

I have them but we a little farther north, but have heard of folks putting them in flower pots.
Worth a shot...
deepseas72
Houma, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #8266395

I've grown them before, but just like tulips, they need the winter in the fridge.can't spare the room in the fridge. They just weren't meant for all this warm winter and humidity. I am right on the coast...it has snowed here three times in my 38 years, and only once did we get up to an inch.
deepseas72
Houma, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #8266401

Just went to Lowes and bought a book called Birds In Your Backyard. It came with with a free 1 year subscription to Birds & Blooms magazine. Yay for me!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #8266424

That is great! I may have to go look for it...Did you get you a few crocus, Ben???
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #8266566

You did hit it blooms and birds good mag, but subs. to high.

Crit, yes scared cats i have a perfect pot going to put it in...

Charleen when had ice bad cod cold weather they bllomed the few i had.. they are more hardy i think then say.where my ankle and arm bracelets love them..

I have been cleaning his daughter husband Son was coming in form Africa sometime early morning hours so got to get things done but house is still awful shape so.. but trying

Also he wanted pumpkin pies again so had canned p. so got 2 in oven.. I'm beat but have so much to do vaccuum and hour later looks like haven't in month!!!!
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #8266583

Susan sent me a beautiful intimate set, purple love it so warm to socks. perfume love it. trying again to get it dl.

yes got it up..

Thumbnail by hope43

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #8266605

Darlin you going to love those socks. I know I do.
I'm so glad you like the bracelets. Anytime you need a new one let me know, I'll make you one.
You be careful.
Hugs, & nuzzles. Charleen,
Charley and the longears
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #8266967

Twyla, you've gotten such neat things.. and it's funny, but I just bought one of those hummer feeders today! I'm going to have a couple of hanging baskets of petunias on my balcony next summer and I'm going to put that feeder in the planter. I figure since I'm on the 3rd floor of this apt building, the hummers should come right up on the balcony :)

I've subscribed to Birds N Bloom for over 11 years now.. LOVE it! Good job, Ben.. I love getting a little extra "something", don't you?

Twyla, I was going to get your box ready to mail out on Monday..but would you rather I buy you a subscription to the magazine instead?? You just let me know which you'd rather have.. a box or the Birds & Bloom magazine.. I'll do it whatever way you'd like, ok sweetie??

Charleen.. that's one BIG mule.. I love it! How many hands high? Wow..I can't get over how big.. lol
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2010
1:28 AM

Post #8267330

Joy, "the horse with no name" ... Hmmm, wasn't there a song about a horse with no name? Can't remember who it was by now, but can hear just a bit of the melody in my mind...
Michelle
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2010
3:35 AM

Post #8267357

I think "CHARM" would be a terrific horse name ... a charm is a sort of a treasure ... and I think the new horse will be a real treasure.

MARY
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #8267515

"I rode to the village (town?) on a horse with no name, it felt good to get out of the rain"

Or pretty close anyway LOL

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #8267519

MIchelle, yes it was by America, their first hit in, gasp, 1972. "Went to the desert on a horse with no name, it felt good to get out of the rain. "

I like Charm, right now I would like anything so that he isn't just horse. He will come home on Monday because the farrier is making rounds of my neighbors and I might as well get on the list. Now to get my saddle oiled and checked out and see if I can find just one of my many snaffles that were packed up years ago who knows where. Argggh! I hate getting old. And blonde.

Joy
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2010
7:58 AM

Post #8267621

So glad your box arrived and you like your goodies, Twyla. I wanted to send a few things to pamper you and keep you warm at the same time :)
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #8267880

DESERT! well, I was close on the rest of it LOL!!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #8267951

Me too Fruity. I wanted her to be warm and happy. Charley is a 15 hand mule. He is not biggest mule I've ever had but he sure is a sweet natured fella. Charm is a good name. Flame Charm I like the flame on his forehead. Charm Flame.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #8268149

Ah, yes, that's how the words go. Been a long time since I heard the song :)
Well, Joy, I guess you'll get to know this horse better as you continue to work with him. Guess you can see which of our suggestions fits him best. Or, perhaps you or your son will think of something else that fits even better. :)
Hmmm, as I'm writing this, the wind is blowing the rain against the house, and I'm thinking that riding that horse to "get out of the rain" is sounding pretty good right now! LOL
Michelle
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #8268224

GardenQuail wrote:Joy, "the horse with no name" ... Hmmm, wasn't there a song about a horse with no name? Can't remember who it was by now, but can hear just a bit of the melody in my mind...
Michelle

That song was by America back in the 70's
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #8268400

Does anyone else remember hearing there were hidden meanings in songs that referred to drugs, especially during the hippy "make love, not war" period of the late '60's and early '70's? When "horse" was slang for heroin, and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" referred to LSD.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #8268532

Hey Neener,

Two words: Chateau Morrisette. Oh, two more, wait three more: Red Mountain Laurel. Brought home both the red and the white when I was in VA. (made there) and the red is sweet like Llano's. Had company last night and they compared. Should help keep you warm.

Joy
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #8268685

Joy have to try the white. I have the red you mentioned and I think it is actually a little too sweet. Never thought I'd say that about a red wine. :)) I'm saving the good stuff for tough times, which means I might open a bottle in few minutes. Hee Hee.
MaggieHanson
Warner Robins, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #8268764

hope43 wrote:Susan sent me a beautiful intimate set, purple love it so warm to socks. perfume love it. trying again to get it dl.

yes got it up..

Ahhhh that's one of my favorite perfumes!
MaggieHanson
Warner Robins, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #8268773

Karen and Hope, I haven't forgotten about you. I "had" something small for each of you, but my sister didn't know they were gifts and she "tried out" what she thought was mine while I was in the hospital. I didn't have it in me to tell her any different. I'll let you know when you'll have something coming your way.
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #8268963

maggie-no problem.
FOTV-boy do i remember all those "hiden meanings" well, maybe not all but remember how we all used to talk about it, and the cover of the beatles abbey road album having meaning, and mothers little helpers, cant think of anymore at the moment
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #8268993

Well, I now know who Twyla is! I thought I was going senile!

I sent her package off this morning.

I enjoy visiting thrift stores ... I was good today ... I was so close to one and did not go ... too much to do.

Well best for me to go and defrost a very old upright freezer ... 22 yr old grandson left the door ajar and it looks like a winter wonderland in there.

MARY
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #8269046

When in doubt about someone's real name, check the addy exchange or send a D-mail to our hostess, Neener.

Karen, what about The Doobie Brothers...lol
And Eagles, Hotel California "you can check out but you can never leave"

OK, who bumped up my DG Subscription today? Much appreciated! Was it anybody here?
sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #8269184

Hi all soprry but am going to have give up the birthday club
things are getting so hecktick around here with hubby
Here is wishing you all a great Christmas and a great year
in 2011. sissy70--judy c

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #8269258

Hope things get better for you Judy. Come and visit, I'm sure rest of folks feel the same way.
Hugs and nuzzles.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
12:16 PM

Post #8269298

Thanks for letting us know Judy. Take care and come back when you can.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #8269377

Sorry to see you go, Judy, and hope you'll chat with us when you can.

Hi Faye! Santa Claus is coming to town ;)
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #8269414

Ditto that Faye!! Watch your box. :0)
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #8269421

Sorry to see you go Judy
MaggieHanson
Warner Robins, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #8269488

I hope things get better for you, Judy.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #8269493

Just saw the moon rising, glorious like a suspended beach ball.
News just said it's probably going to be too cloudy to see the eclipse, maybe just a bit of red.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #8269521

Judy, please check in with us OFTEN!! Going to miss you on here :)

Fruity, someone bumped up my subscription today too... ok.. fess up people, so we can thank you!! :)
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #8269665

Michelle ,your card arrived today itwas neat to see the Braille to.. thanks..

Chris , what ever is the easiest for you i appreciate what ever way you want to. thanks..

moon suppose to look like ? forgot , tonight at 12:30 am..

Everyone have great week many blessings..

Jesus is the reason for the season..
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #8269707

A ball of red cheese?

Times for the Eclipse here are from 1:30 - 5. Knowing my erratic sleep pattern, you can bet your sweet bippy I'm bound to be awake sometime during those hours.

Happy Winter Solstice, especially Neener!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #8270245

I also heard on the oldies radio "I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, you've got a brand new key" was talking about sex or something. Have never been able to figure that one out. I agree, there were a lot of them that you could find the 'hidden meaning' in if you listened to the words closely.
Now... they just SAY what they mean! That's no fun.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2010
4:55 AM

Post #8270264

Thanks Fruity!!! It was too cloudy here to see the moon later last night. I kept waking up and couldn't see anything. Could also have been down past the trees up here on the mountain. Late start this morning. Couldn't get going. I love it when all the critters come and snuggle up in the morning, but it puts me back to sleep and then I feel behind all day.

Blessed Solstice to Everyone. Days will be getting longer now!
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #8270550

I also missed the eclipse. rain and clouds hid it. on the plus side, we are getting more rain than we have had in months. cant wait to go out and dig in it after it stops. the ground here is so hard the only time you can really plant with no trouble is right after the rain. cant wait.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2010
10:56 AM

Post #8270790

Cloudyhere too. Slept thru it all as usual, just like Santa Claus, I never have seen that old Buzzard!!!!☺☺☺

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #8271115

Excuse me but is this corner taken??

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #8271131

Welcome, I'm sure if mules are welcome an Elf is welcome too. Here, Hang onto the mane and Charley will carry you and your little broom will be introduced to folks here. Very nice folks.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #8271149

Thank you Rides, How is Charley doing these days?
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #8271166

No eclipse viewing here because it was s***ing outside! >:(
And I really wanted to see it too - I'm with Fruity - I'm up half the night trying to sleep anyway so it wouldn't have been a big deal to stay up to watch it.
What a day! I've been running around so much trying to get things done that I missed the post office by 5 minutes this afternoon - Twyla, your card is going out first thing in the morning.

I need another month still to be ready for Christmas! AAAAAACCKKKK!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #8271282

I'm fine Mud and You?? Fat and wanting more dear. That is the animal way.
I didn't see it either. So don't feel alone DI.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #8271314

Hello little Elf. Would like to be added to the list?? If so I need your name and your birthday. You can dmail them to me.

Thanks and Welcome!

Neener

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #8271349

Neener, you have my name and address and alot of other info about me too.

I beez your little elfs_garden coming back to join you all after a long and lonely summer and fall.

Ralph has paid for me a 2 month subscription today so that I can thank everyone for thinking of me and my family after my mom passed away. I have recieved the cards you sent and wanted to let you know that they were a big comfort to me. I also recieved the gift certificate for Bluestone and I was floored. I cannot read the card without crying. It made me feel so loved.

I will not be joining the birthday club at this time, I talked to Fruity today and she asked me to stop by and say hello to everyone on this thread and let them know I am back for awhile and hopefully it will be a very long while.

Sorry for the little joke,, Rides,,,lol. I was a little nervous coming back today. But still as you can tell from the pic I am hoping to move back into my little corner and talk to all my friends.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #8271360

Here you go, guys. First of the season, big ewe lamb, healthy and happy.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #8271372

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW,,, I want one!! How cute!

Here is my baby,, Patches

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #8271471

Elfie, you know Charley will let you visit and so will the rest I'm sure. We welcome you and your visits.
Joy, How Beautiful. Love it. Elf, your baby is pretty too.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #8271506

My baby thinks I am his bed, as we speck he is laying all over me interfearing with the key board!!. Got to go eat.. will try to drop by later.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #8271515

My chihuahua does that, and we are both too fluffy to get my arms stretched out enough to type. I do manage tho.

janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #8271784

Kris - it's good to see your elfy ears hanging out and visiting here on DG again! No need to be nervous around here. There was a big silence when you left.and I don't even know you that well. I was a big lurker for the longest time trying to figure everything out and I followed a lot of the threads and you always had so much to contribute. You have no idea how much you've been missed - I'm sure you'll be more than welcomed back with open arms and lots of hugs.

This message was edited Dec 23, 2010 8:13 PM
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 22, 2010
2:06 AM

Post #8271923

Hello, all.
Well, I was hoping my husband could describe the eclipse to me. But, alas, it was completely clouded over here, too. So, we didn't see it either. I was wondering what shade of red it turned out to be. On the radio, they were saying it might be a blood red, copper red, or some other shade of red that I can't remember.
Mud_Elf, we haven't met yet, but I'm looking forward to getting to know you :) Glad you were able to subscribe again! By the way, can you tell me about your "baby?" I can't see, so a bit of a text description of pictures helps a lot!
Joy, congrats on the arrival of your first lamb of the season! How many are you expecting?
Twyla, glad the card made it to you! I help out at a nonprofit organization that brailles textbooks for blind students. They also make these cards, and someone paints the tactile pictures for them. I had a lot of fun reading through all their birthday cards, looking for just the right cards for you and Karen :)
Neener, can we start a new page? The computer I use to read the thread is taking a long time to open the page. If the pages get too long, it won't be able to handle them. Thanks!
Michelle
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2010
4:30 AM

Post #8272050

Absolutely Michelle!! I'll start a new thread right now.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2010
4:34 AM

Post #8272056

New Thread Everyone!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1146018/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1146018/
sissy70
Rushville, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #8274244

Hi all just dropped by to wish all
a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
sissy70

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 24, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #8275032

Hugs Sissy, Great luck in the New years and hope your Christmas is wonderful too.
Nuzles and hugs.
Charleen, Charley and the Longear gang.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America