Birthday Club The Next Generation #6

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Rule number one is HAVE FUN! If you can't bring a sense of humor or a smile to the party don't come.

Rule number two is about the "gifting" of birthday goodies. New plan that I hope will solve the problems of most of the people with financial issues. All goodies must fall into one of these 3 categories:

1. A handmade or crafted something that you do. Most everyone I know on DG sews, paints, crafts or does some sort of hobby that they could share in some small way with the birthday people. If it is only a handmade card that you can send for $.44 that is terrific. This is not supposed to be about the gifts, but the giving. If any of you have joined thinking that you are going to have some bodacious birthday haul of expensive items, think again.

2. Second category would be plants. Hey we are a gardening forum after all. A lot of folks have extras or starts or cuttings. Send what you can afford to ship.

3. Gift cards for plants, or gardening related items or anything else that people have mentioned in their wishlists. I am not going to set an amount. Make it whatever your budget allows. Once again it is about the thought and the effort. There has been discussion of using the gift card idea and people thought that wasn't fair for the birthday person to have to pay shipping on their own gift. Seriously now, how many of you are going to go to Bluestone or Almost Eden and just get a couple of things? Come on. If you are going to go shopping there you are probably going to spend more than the gift card anyway so the shipping is just part of that. Anyone that does crafts would love a card to Micheals or JoAnns etc. I know I would. Keep in mind a lot of gift cards can be done online eliminating the postage issue all together.

Now that we have the ground rules set I encourage everyone to go to the New Likes and Dislikes link and adjust their posts accordingly. List your plant wants. List the places you like to shop or would like a gift card from.

Current Members:

Rouxcrew (Joy) Jan. 15
deepseas72(Ben) Feb.1
ClanCampbell (Chris) Feb.28
MaggieHanson (Maggie) March 10
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) April 9
Janaestone - (Dianae) April 12
Merrymath (Mary) April 28
Crit (Patti) May 10
tikipod (Angie) August 8/12
GAgirl1066 (Paula) Sept. 1
Ridesredmule (Charlene) Oct. 1
Rvnsbrk - (Juanita) Oct 9
GardenQuail (Michelle) October 28
Sherman99 (Karen) December 3
Hope43 (Hope) Dec. 28

New Likes/ Wants Thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1107561/

This message was edited Dec 9, 2010 8:20 AM

This message was edited Dec 20, 2010 3:17 PM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Welcome again to our new members. As you can tell from past discussions, anything goes!

We do like to see pictures of the things you get , so please take a quick snapshot and tell us all about it!

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Neener, i think I didn't get a present to GardenQuail, Did I miss it or is she new????
I have to find out.
Know Ben is new, Michelle, I missed, I'm sure.....
Char

Blackshear, GA

Charlene,
She just joined in the last couple of days, so you are good. You haven't missed anyone. How's Charlie, got his winter coat on?

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

*nomnom noodles* Aloha everyone. Having lunch and watching the birdies outside. They finally found my suet blocks, birdseed and mealworms. I had to take the feeder down in Summer due to complaints.

How is the weather everyone?

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

sunny and warm right now but cold tonight.

who would complain about feeding birds?

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Looks like Winter's officially here. Highs in the 40's for the next week and flurries are expected Saturday night. Can't stand that white stuff. Send me some Hawaiian sunshine :)

Hope you veterans of the Club are enjoying your calendars. There should be two little bookmarks in the jacket if you haven't already discovered them.

Ooh those Orchid blooms are so pretty!

The person with the deck below mine. I figure he's not using the deck in winter so I'll put the feeders up. Some Robins showed up right when it was snowing heavily along with some other birds and no one is feeding them.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Picked mine up from the PO today Susan, thanks so much! Didn't look for bookmarks, but found the lovely jar labels. I'll take that as a hint! LOL Just picked a bunch of persimmons (natives) today. We had a good frost (28) yesterday so I will be making my conserve this week end, although the weather is up to the 70's for the next few days and I might be hard pressed to stay inside.
My barn guys showed up today finally and only worked about 3 hours, just enough to get one end done and then left. I am hoping they will tackle that roof tomorrow, that second story is a bit high for my liking anymore.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

My dad and I just discovered Persimmons last month. I had to buy two packets of them from Costco today because I ate them all last month and Dad didn't get any lol.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I got a funny card today with a JoAnn gift card inside. Thank you so much Di! I will be using that next week I bet. I like this birthday thing that goes on for months.

Off to the shower folks. See you round tomorrow.

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Expecting rain tonight and on through this weekend here.
Michelle

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

I can only wish for rain. Some crazy 'Alberta Clipper' is supposed to blow through starting in the wee hours of Sat morning and we are supposed to get the awful 4 letter word that is worse than any I know. The weather guys won't guess how much at this point - I think they're even dreading it. I'm supposed to work with DS at our local community Christmas celebration outside collecting canned good for the needy. I absolutely hate snow..hate. hate, hate it like you would not believe. I'm a horrible driver in it as well; for about the past 5-6 years I won't even drive in it. DH drives me anywhere I need to go if it s***s. I've hit people, a church, a few cars, a friend's house, a lot of trees, and landed in a bunch of ditches all due to that awful white stuff. And yes, I've lived here and dealt with it all 49 years of my life. Why I don't live in Florida or Arizona or So. Cal is beyond me - lol - okay, I'm done with my whine of the day ;)

Houma, LA(Zone 9a)

Any of you nice birthday people have daylily seeds to trade?

Di, I received a wonderful belated b'day gift and I love Lowes. Thank you so much. This is longest birthday I believe I've ever had, how wonderful!!! Thank you dear.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Hello everyone..

Susan i love birds and i had no calenders for coming yr. i love it its beautiful every page... thanks so very much i was so happy happy ..

everyone have a wonderful week end.

later have to try vacum and do anothe rload of wash for 2 people its 3 or 4 loads week he sweats awgul changes up to 4 times a day shirts and hoodies.

Happy Birthday Sherman99!

We got a bunch of birds this am and a Flicker landed on my deck. One cat tried to get it (ran into the window) and the other other got scared and fell off the tower.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Good Lord..thanks tiki for keeping me straight!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAREN!!!! I am a terrible hostess. Should have been the first to bid you a happy day. Hope you get some more birthday boxes today.

Twyla I understand about the laundry. There are just 2 of us as well and I do 6 or seven a week with the linens and towels and stuff. Working on that as well today. If I don't let it get to far ahead it's a lot easier.

Blackshear, GA

Happy Birthday, Karen!! Hope you have a wonderful day!!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

thank you everyone. maybe i should share with you that my family is really small, my daughter and her children and my son and i. thats it. my daughter moved away and i am having grandkid withdrawals and my son works for the forest service and is gone a lot. everyone here has made my birthday a wonderful day and i thank you very much.
finally got this disk reader thing so i could put the pics in this computer, please forgive me for putting everything together but i am really enjoying all your wonderful gifts.

Thumbnail by sherman99

Looks great to me.

Happy birthday, Karen!!! Hope my card made it to you. If it hasn't yet, it should arrive any day :) (If it's in the picture, my apologies--I'm blind, so I can't see them. A short text description of what's in the pics would be helpful. Thanks!)
About to go post my likes/dislikes... :)
Have a great day all!
Michelle

Sorry, Ben. I don't grow daylilies. But I hope you find the seeds you're looking for!
Michelle

Happy birthday, Karen - hope you have a wonderful, happy birhtday this year!

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Di,

you getting the "S" word yet???

Karen, Happy Birthday, Dear Friend! I didn't know if you liked to work puzzles but sent one anyway with a CA theme. In your Zone, you should be able to plant the Amaryllis and Canna rhizomes, or put them in pots somewhere they won't freeze. I know how you feel about not having much family. It's just hubby and me, his mother about an hour away, and my SIL in Texas. So I take pride in the many friends I've made here and think of each of you as a member of my family.

OMG Di, you've hit everything imaginable. And you're still in one piece? That nasty stuff's headed our way tomorrow, possibly 2" and will be the first snowfall this Winter. That's about my limit as far as venturing out. Give hubby a foot or more of snow, a 4-wheel drive, and he's like a kid at Christmas. Not me, baby. No way, no how.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Running late again, Happy Birthday Karen!!! I wll be packing your present Sunday, then will probably tote it around in the HHR for days forgetting to mail it, gg.
Don't miss driving in the snow, I remember sitting in my apartment at school watching the people slide down the hill, across the hill, over the edge of the hill, and crash like kid's toys. Yep, you can keep the snow and ice.

Joy

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Happy birthday Karen!! My present should be getting there either tomorrow or Monday :)

Ben, it's too bad that I didn't know you a couple of years ago.. when my DH passed away, I had about 15 different varieties of daylilies that we had planned on planting that spring. I wound up selling them very cheaply (she refused to let me just give them to her!) to a dear friend from DG, along with that many varieties of cannas too.
I'll look through my seeds, but I don't believe I have daylilies..alot of other stuff, but not those lol

Put it in the front seat Joy!! I have an HRR and I love it.
I feel the same about you all as there is just dh and myself,
But know I can come on here and see all my friends. ((((()))))
hugs to all.

Rushville, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi all havent been here for awhile busy busy getting my familys christmas ornaments made all 30 some
hope all had a good thanksgiving
sent the dec birthdays out let me know if you get them
sissy70 judy c.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

more gifts, thank you so much to hope43/twyla, sissy70/judy, gardenquail/michelle and janaestone/di

birthday cards, lowes gift card, seeds, bracelet, ornament, garden gloves and windchimes
wonderful gifts lovely cards
thank you thank you thank you
sherman/karen

Thumbnail by sherman99
Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Susan, Ray and I love the calendar. Thank you so much.
Love you lady.

Hey neener...we ended up getting around 3 inches of the awful white stuff. It started late last night and was just steady for most of the day. Luckily, it was the wet, heavy kind and melted right away on the road. All roads here are clear, though, of s*** and Di..... ;) My DH is the same way, Fruity, and that man can get through any amount of s***fall. His mom said he's been like that since he first started driving - wasn't one bit afraid or nervous the first time he went out even and hasn't been ever since. Looks like it's on it's way over to you guys now. Thanks heavens it's leaving here!

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

SuzieQ, got my calendar too.. it's BEAUTIFUL! And yes, I noticed that you got my cardinals in there ^_^ You're a special lady, my friend!

The calendars are not Christmas presents, but rather a little something to let each of you know how much I appreciate your friendship. It was so much fun picking themes to match your likes or lifestyles best I could since some of you I know better than others. Ben and Michelle, yours will go out in Monday's mail and am looking forward to getting to know you better.

We ended up with about 2" of the heavy wet stuff, thought it had quit til I just went out to take this pic and noticed it's still spitting. When I ran errands this afternoon, it was comin' down to beat the band and thought I best pay attention to the roads since the temp in my car said 33. Eons ago, I took a wild ride on black ice and plowed into a neighbor's mailbox mounted on a strong metal post. That's the only thing that stopped me from landing in their ditch or worse. OMG it happened so quick, like my car was on roller skates and had a mind of its own. When the whoosh was over, I was facing the wrong direction!

This message was edited Dec 4, 2010 9:58 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Fruit Loop, DH says if you want us to move anywhere within a thousand miles of you don't tell me about snow already. :0)

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

FOTV, you are such a sweetie for sending the calendars. Thanks you again!

Still thinking about that tropical island with warm breezes and tiny umbrellas stuck in drinks...

Frozen Fruity

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm with you on the island. i'll mix the drinks. :0)

Nippy Neener

Well, Fruity..unfortunately, late last night I got a hysterical call from DD; she had her 'whoosh' moment due to black ice. We're not sure if the car is totalled or not at this point. We'll find out tomorrow sometime. She was taking her friend back home - whose mom and dad would not let her drive last night - and was on her way back home when she took a shortcut road and went around the curve and bam!, spun around twice ending up in the wrong direction. She's 19 and was terrified being out on this deserted road all by herself and the car wrecked besides knowing the talking-to she was gonna get from her dad who had told her not to do anything stupid like drive in the snow with all the black ice. We live out in the middle of the country surrounded by farms but where she wrecked was only 10 minutes from our house luckily. What I don't get is why he keeps wandering around the house muttering something about 'like mother, like daughter'!!

Seriously though, she is alright and that's the most important thing. She is very shaken right now and every time she sees her car she starts crying - we had it towed back to our house. She was wearing her seat belt and is a bit sore but that's about it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.