Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: Which gets sown first in WS?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 4, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #8243059

Some seed plants just list seed as annual or perennial.. Which gets sown first.? Perennials or Annuals?
Hardy perennials or Half Hardy perennials
Half Hardy Annuals
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

December 3, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #8243196

Do the hardy ones first, and any that need stratification.
Is there such a thing as half hardy perennials? I suppose it depends on which zone.
Something which is hardy in zone 6 could be only partly hardy in zone 3.
Do the half hardy annuals later, and the tropicals last.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #8244254

Would I separate the perennials from the annuals first? Then check to see which is hardy, half hardy or tender and proceed from there?
I would assume that perennials require longer germination than annuals..am I right on that so far?
Some of these seed pkts. only say Perennial or Annual and have you noticed how fine the print becomes the older you become? You think that is a sign I'm aging? LOL!
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 4, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #8244313

Quoting:Would I separate the perennials from the annuals first? Then check to see which is hardy, half hardy or tender and proceed from there?

Pippi, I would do just that. MOST but not all perennials require longer germination (do you mean whether you WS them earlier?) Half-hardy or tender perennials should definitely be WS later. Same with tender annuals.

What I do, when I can't read the fine print (it happens!) on the seed packet, or there is no available description on seeds I might have collected myself, is check Plant Files on Daves Garden. Just look up the plant, and you will see a classification as well as a detailed list of hardiness.

The other thing I want to reiterate is that WS is a forgiving mode of seed starting. There's not a hard-and-fast rule about exactly what date you have to start which seed. As long as you follow CL Scott's general guidelines, the seeds will just wait for the warming temperature that suit their germination.
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

December 5, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #8245250

I agree---just try somethings. You are in warmer zones than I am so you probably
can be successful with most things as a WS.

I suppose if we wanted to get really technical,
we could keep track of temperatures,
and try to plant according to temperature, but weather is a fickle thing!

The data bases (Deno, Clothier) can be of some help.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America