Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Peppers: Naga Viper Pepper

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 21, Views: 241
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2010
11:47 PM

Post #8243319

I don't know how long this Yahoo news article will be available, but I wanted to share it.

It's about a British gardener who has crossed three hot pepper varieties, including Bhut Jolokia, to create the world's hottest pepper. His new variety, Naga Viper, tests at 1,359,000 on the Scoville scale. Wow.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20101203/sc_yblog_thelookout/worlds-hottest-pepper-is-hot-enough-to-strip-paint
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

December 4, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #8244066

i received the same articler from gary. i wish they mentioned something about where you can buy the seeds.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #8244938

I saw the story a minute ago and came to publish the link. Who thought it was possible?!!
mraider3
Helena, MT

December 7, 2010
2:59 AM

Post #8248052

Got a kick out of the comment on weapons experts using this pepper to create a spice bomb to incampacitate ememy soldiers. That's almost as funny as the priest's comment about "Hurry up icecream!" after eating a hab and following it with icecream. Heard that in a Mexican resturant in Wichita called Connies.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

December 7, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #8248876

i read an article in the paper that the indian government is using the bhut jolokia's peppers as a form of pepper spray.

someone who knows about these peppers told me they are just another 7 pot hybrid and that we will see a whole bunch of them coming out over the next months as more breeders try to uoutdo each other. LOL

Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #8248973

I'm sure they have a way to concentrate capsaicin when manufacturing pepper spray - it shouldn't make much difference if one very hot pepper variety is hotter than another. As you say, plant breeders are just trying to outdo each other in creating the world's hottest pepper.

Anything even 1/10th that high on the Scoville scale is too hot for me to eat - which means it needs to be watered down in any dish, which means I'm better off using milder hot peppers in the first place.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2010
12:42 AM

Post #8249584

i just use them in my hot pepper sauce but mainly i just like to see hot hot they really are.
mraider3
Helena, MT

December 8, 2010
1:13 AM

Post #8249590

Herbie, I like to follow what I call Sam's rule and that is to add a couple of really hot peppers whole to various tomato sauces and salsa. That way it's usually spicy enough for the rest of the family memebers. I have my own private stock of picante sauce in which I grind up the hottest peppers I can grow ... including the seeds. Some where in my files I have a recipe for hot sauce which you had posted some time back Herbie and I'm hoping I can grow some really hot peppers this season in my new hoop house so I can make some up. Last seasons tomato and pepper production was not the greatest and I had to resort to using frozen peppers from the previous year in making up a few jars of picante sauce. Since we use cumin in the recipe I decided to make a batch of chile using the picante sauce as a base and adding more cumin and chili powder. Turned out pretty good. The picante was actually easier to make than my chili sauce too. I got the benefit of hot peppers and onions as well, which my chili sauce didn't have. So point being, when I make chilli for everyone else, I can ditch the whole hot peppers before blending. When I make the 'fire-in-the-hole' chili for myself the hot peppers stay in and I might even throw in a few more frozen ones to kick it up a notch.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #8250596

when i make my hot sauce i make a bigbatch because my son chris from philly loves it. i also make a few more for some friends. my wife likes the taste of the sauce but not the heat so she just takes a teaspoon and dips one end into the hot oil and drizzles it over whatever she is eating.

i'm planinning on growing some more 7 pots and some other hot peppers this year.

pepperjoe
Myrtle Beach, , SC
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2010
11:01 PM

Post #8276995

I'm receiving a ton of questions about the Naga Viper Pepper. It reminds me of 2000 when the Ghost Pepper or Bhut Jolokia first hit the news in the International Herald Tribune. I didn't buy into the Ghost Pepper at first because of the contradictory information that was running rampid at that time...including that it was in the Cayenne Family...which we all know would be impossible to produce that amount of heat.
Personally, I believe the Ghost will be knocked off of it's throne in the future...but at this point I'm not convinced it is the the Naga Viper.
Legitimate testing should include several peppers off of several plants spaced out in time as well.
You could have a mutant pepper or plant with incredible heat only to have the offspring disappoint.
Other Super Hot Peppers on our Radar Screen are the Trinidad Scorpion, 7 Pot, Douglah and the Butch T.

p.s. for right now the Ghost Pepper or Bhut Jolokia is the ONLY Pepper to currently be listed in the Guiness Book of Worlds records. I believe it was the Red Savina that was de-throned.

Thumbnail by pepperjoe
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2010
4:17 AM

Post #8277056

dthose peppes yodu have there look like they could heat up an entire house. LOL

great article.

i will be trhyng the trinidad yellow scorpion,and the 7 pot blends

Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #8277287

I don't grow many hot peppers, but I suspect each variety has the potential to get to a maximum Scoville (heat) level for that variety - but the actual heat achieved may be much less depending on growing conditions. Is that right?

I grew a garden for many years in Southern California where we had a sandy loam soil, all artificial irrigation because there was no rain from May through October, daytime summer temps that might reach 115, very low humidity, and relatively cool nights. Under those conditions any peppers that had even a little heat, even Anaheims, turned out very, very hot.

Now I've been gardening for almost 20 years in Missouri, where we have a clay and limestone soil, rain all summer, temps that seldom exceed the 90's, high humidity, and summer nights that stay hot. The "heat" in peppers I grow here is much less. Jalapenos here don't turn out as hot as Anaheims did in CA - and out there Jalapenos seemed as hot as Habaneros do here.

That makes me suspect that even the hottest peppers like Naga Viper might be a lot hotter, or less, depending on growing conditions. Hot pepper experts, what's the deal on that?
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2010
9:27 AM

Post #8277372

i believe whatever smokemaster tells me. to me, he is the authority on hot and ultra hot peppers.

pepperjoe
Myrtle Beach, , SC
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #8279211

Ozark,
Many gardeners try to tweak the soil for maximum heat. Actually the soil, climate, fertilizer, amount of Sun...all take the back seat to genetics. Ifg Mama and Papa were Hot...so will little pepper.
But all of the above speak to healthy plants which give you healthy peppers.
Try making yur own Hot Sauce for special, unique gifts. Inexpensive too.

Thumbnail by pepperjoe
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #8280648

And don't forget your Volcano Vodka! I little cruet of same is always a welcome gift to Bloody Mary drinkers!
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #8280977

i do make my own hot pepper sauce out of the hot peppers i grow.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #8281348

And it is very tasty, Herbie. It's like Brilcream; a little dab will do ya! LOL
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8287138

glad you like it.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8332233

I saw a TV documentary that mentioned in passing that, in India, Bhut Jolokoi pepeprs (Ghost Naga) were smeared to garden fences to repel wild elephants.

I can't say whether that's true or not.

Corey
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8332242

I can believe that.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2011
7:36 PM

Post #8396839

Seeds of the Naga Viper are not yet available.

The Chilli Pepper Company home of the Naga Viper Chilli, The Hottest Chilli In The World (1,382,118 SHU’s). Seeds will hopefully be available August/September.

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/index.htm

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2011
3:52 AM

Post #8397110

thanks for the site

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America