Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: The Thanksgiving Lesson: Another Good Story

Communities > Forums > Article: The Thanksgiving Lesson
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Thanksgiving LessonReplies: 3, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 4, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #8244194

Hi Sharron,
Your Thanksgiving story was quite good. As others, I sure enjoy your stories. I read the part about you feeding Tom Turkey to my husband. We both laughed out loud!
I had a similar situation with a steer my dad "gave" to me to raise. I named him Shiney and he was black with a white face. Then, we ate him. I was pretty unhappy and announced I would not be eating him. Well, that lasted about two meals, because I became really hungry. I lived on a farm and we raised a lot of our own food--veggies and meats. I too butchered many a chicken from catching them--to putting them in the freezer. I gathered the eggs also and once there was a skunk in the chicken coop---boy, did I run!!
I was raised in the 50's but do believe I was a decade or so behind most of society. My school had two teachers 1-4 and 8-12---note: no K. I had the biggest class ever in that school: 10!! I too became a teacher.
What a life--I feel I was really fortunate.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #8246170

Hi Birder,
We could write the same story. Until 6th grade, I went to a 2 room school as well. I think I talked about it in one of my articles. Actually it was all one room but had folding door dividers. My mother was principal in the 'big room', while I was a student in the 'little room'. By the time I got to the big room, she was staying home with my baby brother, so I never did have her for a teacher.

Thanks for sharing your memories, they are so much like mine. I'll bet you enjoyed teaching, too. And yes, we were both very fortunate.

Thank you so much.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #8247106

Whew! Thank goodness your mom wasn't your teacher. That would have been interesting.
Looking forward to your next story. Have a great Christmas.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2010
7:54 AM

Post #8248391

Thank you!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Thanksgiving Lesson Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful! adinamiti 15 Nov 30, 2008 6:56 PM
What a lovely family you have!!! frostweed 2 Nov 27, 2008 6:19 PM
Gobble Gobble phicks 1 Nov 27, 2008 6:20 PM
Enjoy today Susie2 3 Nov 27, 2008 7:07 PM
Beautiful Story! BennysPlace 2 Nov 28, 2008 2:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America