Christmas Holiday 3-Item Swap Part 7

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

SECRET PARTNERS HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED AND THIS EXCHANGE IS CLOSED FOR NEW PARTICIPANTS.
IF YOU MISSED THIS YEAR'S, WE HOPE YOU'LL JOIN US NEXT YEAR.

Here's the link to our previous thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1142764/
Rules couldn't be simpler. You may include more than 3 items, but the ones you're asked to include are:

1) One Ornament (homemade, hand-decorated, or store bought).

2) A handwritten or printed recipe for a favorite Holiday dish. You may state your preference for a cake recipe, one for cookies or fudge, a casserole, or whatever you prefer. Try to respect your Buddy's culinary skills and tastes.. It's important for you to let us know when you sign up if you're diabetic or have any food allergies and what they are.

3) A small garden-related item with a Holiday/Christmas / New Year's tie-in would be welcomed if you can add one. It can be bought or homemade, gardening gloves, seeds, magnets, small painted rock, note cards, recipe cards -- use your imagination with whatever strikes your fancy.

Try to keep the value of your package around $20. Be as creative as you can, and most of all... have fun. :-)

If at all possible, please Priority Mail your package by Wednesday, December 1st.
ALL packages should have been mailed no later than Wednesday, December 15th.
rvnsbrk / Neener and I are your co-hostesses. Please D-mail the Delivery Confirmation number you use to the one who assigned your partner.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, MY FRIENDS

This message was edited Dec 6, 2010 7:40 AM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Good Morning and let the chat begin!!

We seem to have a couple of missing participants. Please check in Yolie and renatelynn. Your buddies are anxiously awaiting your response to their gifts.

Thanks to all who have done their best and made it happen.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Is that a recent picture up there?

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

We are snow covered ...Lake effect snow sunday made a mess of things,a semi allmost jacknifed in front of us,he was sliding almost sideways ,we were sliding taking the other lane, semi regained control ,we did too all was well...In the city the streets were a sheet of packed snow,smooth and slick..at 2:00 in the afternoon,they had shut down I 69 northbound,pile up...The first snow always has awful results..There were no injuries to speak of in the pile up.It was snowing so hard you couldnt see..Only lasted 1 hr,what a mess !!! Id hate to live in the city in winter oh my trying to stop and go in a car /?? We have all wheel drive it helps in snow not on ice !!! Ft. Wayne got more snow than we did at home.They are calling for more lake effect today,its weird getting LE snow here,it normally dosent get this far

Thumbnail by huggergirl
(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

And here I was complaining about getting to 30 last night. I'm trying to salvage tomatoes for this month so they will continue to get ripe. I feel y'all's pain, we lived in Pittsburgh, PA for several years and although the snow was usually after Christmas, it could get bad on occasion.
A friend sent this around, I had seen it years ago, but it is amazing that modern technology can have such a history behind it.

http://greyhorsematters.blogspot.com/2010/11/fridays-funnies.html

i really dont mind winter .I do like snow,it covers all the grey and drab up !!! Just glad we live in the country,not a lot of in a hurry drivers. LOL

that story about the horses a## is priceless..I need to get my new printer hooked up ,want to print that off..LOL

It`s 16 degrees going to a cold 1 today,Iam off to work...

Victoria Harbour, ON

Blizzard going on here, hope boss let's us off early!

Left about 1 hr. earlier than usual so by the time I did my hour drive in I had time to hit the bank AND have coffee at Timmy's..now I sit and watch the storm get worse..

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday, Dear Mittsy! May you have a beautiful day and year to come :)

=======================
Thought I'd bring our list over.

Bettypauze / Betty -- Elf delivered
careyana / Carey -- Elf delivered
catbirdsue / Cathy -- Elf delivered waiting for post & pics
cjcjmass / Cindy -- Elf delivered
ClanCampbell / Chris -- Elf delivered
Crit / Patti -- Elf delivered
Cville_Gardener / Carole -- Elf delivered

deejay9 / Susie -- Elf delivered, waiting for post & pics
froggies_girl / Julie -- Elf delivered
FruitOfTheVine / Susan -- Elf delivered
heavenscape / Jaye -- Elf delivered
happgarden / Joyce -- Elf delivered
huggergirl / Tamara -- Elf delivered
janaestone / Di -- Elf delivered
MaggieHanson / Maggie -- Elf delivered

merrymath / Mary -- Elf delivered
Mittsy -- Elf delivered
Quilter5bdsr / Barb -- Elf delivered
renatelynne / Renate -- Elf delivered, waiting for post and pics
Robynznest / Robin -- Elf delivered
rouxcrew / Joy -- Elf delivered
rvnsbrk / Neener -- Elf delivered
sissy70 / Judy -- Elf delivered

taters55 / Linda Kay -- Elf delivered
the1pony / Pony -- Elf delivered

Yolie / Yolanda -- Elf delivered, waiting for post & pics

This message was edited Dec 20, 2010 8:40 PM

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday Mittsy ^_^

Wish there's a sad emoticon.

I've not heard from my swap buddy and according to DC, she had received her box last week.
My best guess in a positive light, is that maybe she's busy.. or the address is wrong?
I'd wish you a Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday, Mittsy! Enjoy your day and stay warm!!! ^_^

Victoria Harbour, ON

Adding Happy Birthday along with those before me Mittsy..

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy Happy Birthday Mittsy!!!

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Shucks Fruity.. I knew I'd screw it up. :))

Carole that is a picture from last winter. Don't even think it for this year OK?

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Mittsy, hope it is a wonderful one for you.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

According to my tracking number, my buddy's gift was delivered on Dec 3 but I've yet to see her post.
I hope she liked what I sent...

Barb and Jaye, I'm so sorry they haven't been able to show their appreciation for your gifts yet. Having been the recipient from each of you in past swaps, it's obvious from first-hand experience how each of you goes out of your way to please.

Those we haven't heard from in a while have previously been contacted privately by either Neener or myself. Good news is catbirdsue sent me a note this week-end that she's back home from a hospital stay and hopes to join the chat soon and show off her gifts.

It would be a shame to lose any Elves at this late date. FINAL Priority Mail out day is Wednesday, December 15th. Complete rules and guidelines are always found in the top post.

Hey Lookie what I got!!!!!! Robynznest sent me some really cool things. In the first picture, there is a kneeling pad, Maizie was dragging it around this morning. Some plant markers; ok who told her that I am really bad about marking my plants???? A dandilion popper, and two packs of seed from Vietnam. I wonder if they will grow with an accent?
She sent me a cute little stocking with gingerbread earrings and a pin, and a homemade angel as well as a birdhouse and snowman for my tree. (Which is up with no ornaments to see if Maizie will leave it alone). There is also a little honey suckle candle but most importantly, a package of water minders! I broke my moisture meter the other day and am having trouble finding another. My transplants are suffering but with these little doodads, I am in good shape. Where did you get them???

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Here is my second picture, I cannot believe that she got all this into such a small box! I got four lovely place mats and a two handed pot holder. Also she gave me some cookie cutter ornaments for my tree! Now I have a jump start on a safe tree for Maizie this year.
Oh and my recipes, I got three sweet ones, a white chocolate raspberry cheesecake, a gooey chocolate fudgy cookie, and an easy peanut butter fudge. I will be making the fudge and cookies tomorrow to go in my goodie bags for my students. Thanks so much Robin, I am glad you were my buddy!

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

"Two packs of seed from Vietnam. I wonder if they will grow with an accent?" You're a hoot, Joy, and always entertain us your quick sense of humor. Did your box have a wild ride or what? Robin has a penchant for packing with a punch too and especially like those placemats. They'll fit right in on the farm, huh? Come on over and share some of your recipes for relishes, conserves, and tried and true favorites over here...whatever you feel like. I wanna see Robin's too. Does it get any better than ooey gooey chocolate, and the easier the better in my case.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1144084/

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Glad you liked it all, when you said old timey and you live on the farm I knew you would go for the rustic look on the cookie cutter ornaments. Stuffing the box was easy, finding a box was the hard part. Not sure if the plants will have an accent but you might need to get a language translation book.

I'll jump over and post recipes tomorrow.It's been a rough couple of days, There was a triple homicide took place Thurs. night less than a half mile from me. They got the guy last night, The whole town has been on edge. Everyone has been afraid to leave their houses. No sleep for the past couple of nights. Turns out the shooter just got out of prison in Feb. after serving 30 years for manslaughter. He was going to shoot the one guy because he was friends and former lover of his now girlfriend. The other 2 people were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What an awful tragedy, Robin. That close I'd still be shaking. My heart goes out to the families who lost their loved ones. Wouldn't it be great to go back to the days when we didn't think about locking our doors or worrying about a lunatic on the lose?

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow, Joy, what a haul! Those are all so interesting and useful. Robin hit the nail on the head for you for sure.

Robin, how awful. Is it a small town?

Great box of goodies there. Cant wait to hear how the cheese cake recipe is ..yumm aND P_NutButter fudge might need that recipe...Iam soo glad I jumped in,Thanks to whom ever directed me back to the swaps and trades....This has been a ton of fun . Cant wait till the next swap...

Carole GW 1/2 off sale here fri and sat....No I have not built a stack yet ,Ive got to do that !!!geeze what a procrastinator Iam ...I did make 4 snowmen though ...are you in the deep freeze today ??saw the weather map and thought oh carole is as cold as Iam....

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I believe it was I, Tam, and I'm so glad you are back in the swaps!!! ^_^

Yes, we're in the deep freeze. I can't see the thermometer but it's in the teens somewhere. Crud. We've had a little snow twice but not enough to stick. It's warmer when it snows sometimes. And we're having work done on the house to boot. But who knew it would be this unseasonably cold??? Not I. Supposed to warm back up to "normal" heading into the weekend and then another cold blast. Disgusting. Can you tell I dont like cold weather very much??

well I thought you were a bit colder than your norm,as we are too ...and to put icing on the cake ,yesterday I left my headlights on while at work it was 1 degree with wind chill and snow...Had to figure out how to get help...DHs car will not move in snow at all....Called the neighbor , DH walked over and borrowed their Yukon,TG...

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Great box of goodies there Joy. Ditto what Fruitcake said. You are a hoot! :0)

I have not gotten any response from the folks I've reached out to that are missing. Hopefully they will show up soon. I guess we all have different priorites, but it only takes a second to let someone know if you are here or not.

Sorry to be a mensch. Not in a really great mood lately. I've been lurking around, but not saying much since I don't want to be a downer to the festivities. Bear with me please. :0)

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

You're fine, Neener, we all have our times.

Ms. Nag is about to unload here ...
I very much agree that it only takes a few minutes to return a Dmail. How hard can it be?? Use a friend's or a public one if yours is broken. If something has come up and someone just can't complete the swap, then have the courtesy to let the hostess know. I know people have issues arise with health emergencies, computers, family, holiday travel, and so forth. We all can have those and often do. My suggestion is to get a box together as soon as possible after you get your name and get it mailed while you can. If you are prone to being MIA, please don't even bother to sign up. True that it's "only a swap", but it is something many of us look forward to, take seriously, put time, effort and thought into ... and it seems so unfair when people send and don't receive. Now being a public forum, we take that chance. People may even sign up to get a nice box and then don't reciprocate. My, my ... aren't we all big girls (and boys) now and have outgrown childhood?? I believe it was Betty who said, "I have forgiven them but I won't forget". I agree. Another suggestion is when you sign up, start to get a box together. It may not match your partner's likes, but at least it is something that can be sent if you get into a pinch. Or send them a card with a gift certificate in it. At least Dmail them and let them know what's up. This is just not that difficult!!!!! And, of course, there is always the area where you leave feedback. I, for one, appreciate that!

Rant over ... for now. ^_^

Victoria Harbour, ON

Now that was a rant..nope not me who said your quote, but it was a good one..

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Sorry, Betty, I guess I forgot who did say that. :(

Ocean Springs, MS

I know I'm whining, but it was 28 here last night. I am a true born and bred Southern girl and anything below 60 is cold to me. It is supposed to be a little better tonight at 34! LOL

I love snow, but I've never had the chance to build a snowman or make a snow angel! Two things on my bucket list. I know I'll probably have to travel somewhere else to do it, but that's part of the bucket list- seeing and marveling in God's beauty!

Maggie, hope you're getting stonger and better!

love, julie

Victoria Harbour, ON

LOL well Julie, come make yourself at home up in my neck of the woods, some communities in my area got over 4' just yesterday..snowing like crazy right now, if the wind picks up it will be difficult driving home..

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you Carole for saying out loud what I have been muttering under my breath for weeks. :0) I couldn't have said it as well or more eloquently without much rancor at this point. DItto, Bingo and you nailed it right on the head. :0)

No-shows and slow-shows are the reason any swaps I host or co-host from now on will require participants to provide their email address, phone number, mailing address etc. in advance before becoming a participant.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I don't blame you, Fruity. Money is spent on gifts and mailing ... sometimes quite a bit of money, and there needs to be some accountability somewhere. I personally know that several hostesses have sent swap boxes to make it up to the people whose "buddies" didn't follow thorough. Now that is costly and really a shame, IMHO. Uh oh, here I go again. Rant #2.

Another good idea someone mentioned was to have newbies (nothing against the newbies, we all start in that same category) or those who have flaked before send to their swap buddy first and then the buddy can reciprocate. They might not get anything but at least they won't be out a lot either.

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Gosh, I had a lot of reading to do ... somehow I must have done the unwatch tread thing ...UGH!

I am also experiencing cold weather .... low 30's during the day ... low 20's at night ... but we gonna warm up to the 40's for 3 days (Fri, Sat, Sun) ... Then it is gonna get a lot colder for some time ... 20's during the day and in the TEENs at night.

So glad I purchased this heater for my 2 car detatch garage ... where I will be preparing containers and tapala's 5-1-1 potting mix for winter sowing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/franklin-stove-electric-heater-91797.html

I used a 20% off coupon (can be found on line) and paid under $100 (inclunding sales tax)

I also have one in the living room .. nice and toasty in there.

Yesterday, while cleaning, I found a bunch of interesting recipes. I plan to post the one for Ricotta Cake. I can't wait to make it!

Very nice box Joy. I especially like the placemats ... and that snowman is adorable ... I also like those little watering minders.

Mary

This message was edited Dec 7, 2010 6:46 PM

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Joy I think I got the watering spikes at Dollar General or Family Dollar, one of the two.

December and I already hate the cold. We are going to have the same type weather here next week like you Mary. Think I'll bring up more firewood for the stove and the fireplace.

Everyone here still jittery, we are a small town of 102 everyone knows each or is related. It's just really sad. There were so many chances for this to be stopped but no one took the time to inform the sheriffs office, it might have been prevented. Makes me wonder what this land is going to be like when my DGD is out on her own. Scares me to death.

Anyway, on to a new and better day. As Tiny Tim says 'God bless us, one and all'

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Nice stove but I Don't think it would be much good here for us if the electic goes out for we do not have a generator . I just use our gas stove to heat the house I have to just make sure i have matches on hand :)
to light the pilots :) Not sure what I Would do without the gas stove guess we would go hungry if we couldn't cook :) I Just Hope our power dose not go out .

well off to get my dishes done for the last time today :) you all have a great evening .
susie

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

So many, many great boxes everyone is receiving!! Yay to everyone who participated. I agree with everyone about no-shows. Everyone gets behind sometimes because life happens (look at me with the Oct bdays in the bday club) but it only takes a minute or two to say..whoops, sorry, I'm really late..or trying to catch back up ,..or sickness in family...or anything. To join and then purposely not do anything about the swap is beyond me; I think that's just mean. 8 degrees here tonight, 11 right now...Brrrrrr...

Victoria Harbour, ON

Blizzard going on as I type, wow, lots and lots of snow, willing to share, could box it up??? cheap to ship!!!

Think though that as a rule very few don't go through with the swap or make the deadline!

Smilling here, almost afraid to join a swap incase I'm late.. yikes..

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Found the source of the quote ... one of my fave DGers over on the Cactus and Succulent Forum ... Hillbilly Gran.

This message was edited Dec 8, 2010 4:50 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.