Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Spinach as a Cool-season, Autumn Crop: Didn't even know there were 3 types of spinach

Communities > Forums > Article: Spinach as a Cool-season, Autumn Crop
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spinach as a Cool-season, Autumn CropReplies: 5, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #8246610

Was only familiar with the smooth kind. A spinach hater as a child, falling in love with it was a smooth, imperceptible process sometime during adulthood. This year I'm growing spinach for the first time ever in my garden, in a large pot (zone 9a). So far, so good. thanks for a well written, informative article.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #8246876

Thanks, vossner! What variety are you growing? I'd love to hear what grows well in Texas. I'm sure your growing seasons are very different than mine. We are currently buried under 5 inches of snow.

Isn't it funny how we "grow into" different tastes in food? My 9 year old son suddenly decided he likes grapefruit this week, after years of refusing to eat it and gagging on the texture. It gives me hope that someday he'll enjoy a wider variety of foods!

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #8246955

We're growing Bloomsdale. Last year we grew butter lettuce and red lettuce in a pot and it was a great treat to enjoy fresh salads during our winters. This year we did a pot w/ the lettuces, arugula and spinach. Also growing cauliflower in a separate pot and carrots from seeds in yet another pot. Hubby is also growing radishes in a forgotten space in our garden.

I was about to take a pic for this thread and my stupid Canon is broken. It did the same thing at the very same time last year. Very aggravating.

Damaged leaves or extras that we don't eat are shared with this little guy

Thumbnail by vossner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #8247094

Hey Vossner!
When did you sow seeds for your spinach that's growing in pots? I don't have a thing growing in my yard right now. I prioritized moving into into the house before planting in the ground/containers, so they're all sitting empty. And, to make matters worse, I bought all fresh seeds in April.

I'm chomping at the bit to plant something somewhere, somehow...

Linda

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2010
2:10 PM

Post #8247315

Gymgirl, if you have lettuce or spinach seed, I'd recommend you plant some in pots now. The seeds don't tend to "keep" very well, and are best used the year you bought them. I've had very good luck with other seeds that were a year or more older, but spinach in particular doesn't have a very good germination rate with year-old seeds. Give it a go; what do you have to lose? :)

You can even do spinach inside in a pot or windowbox, as long as they get enough light.

Angie
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #8248162

good morning ladies. Linda, I bought seedlings at Enchanted Gardens Nursery, which is close to my house in Richmond. The only thing we planted from seeds were the carrots and they haven't sprouted yet. I have seen the Red Sails and other varieties of lettuce at HD/Lowes, but the inventory is getting neglected/overshadowed by the Christmas stuff. However, you might still find something. Last year, 2 lettuce plants were enough for DH and me thru March. I'd say they were good, little producers--we got to eat small salads every 2-3 days or so.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spinach as a Cool-season, Autumn Crop Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing spinach for the first time, carminator1 1 Dec 6, 2010 10:05 AM
STIR FRIED SPINACH dot2dot 1 Dec 6, 2010 2:16 PM
Hooray for spinach! LarryR 1 Dec 6, 2010 2:13 PM
late fall spinach = early spring crop HoosierGreen 2 Dec 7, 2010 5:33 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America