Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Spinach as a Cool-season, Autumn Crop: Hooray for spinach!

Communities > Forums > Article: Spinach as a Cool-season, Autumn Crop
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spinach as a Cool-season, Autumn CropReplies: 1, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #8247048

Thanks for a great spinach article, Angie! Wilma and I have been spinach fans for a long time and have scads of recipes for preparing it. Here is the way it was prepared in communal Amana:

2 pounds raw spinach
1 pint boiling water
1/4 cup lard (It really tastes better with lard, but olive oil is better for you.)
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 heaping tablespoon flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pint beef broth

Cook spinach in boiling water for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from stove and cool spinach in cold water. Squeeze out all water and run through food grinder. Heat lard over medium heat, add bread crumbs and brown until golden brown. Stir in onion, then flour, salt, and pepper. Add ground spinach and bring to boil. Add beef broth and cook until well-blended.

Spinach was also dried during the summer and reconstituted in winter, using the recipe above.

We sow a fall crop in August. It not only provides meals until a hard freeze, but returns in spring in our zone 5 garden when mulched or when there is good snow cover during the coldest months of winter. This fall, the rabbits unfortunately beat us to the harvest! :-(

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #8247321

Larry, I'm trying to imagine what the finished product would be like with your recipe. Do the crumbs make golden crispy bits, or is it all fairly soggy when it is finished? I was with you, picturing kind of a hash or even some kind of patty, until the last line, when you added beef broth. What do you call your recipe? I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the dish! It somehow reminds me of how my Bohemian mother-in-law prepares asparagus, except it finishes up with milk instead of beef broth.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spinach as a Cool-season, Autumn Crop Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Didn't even know there were 3 types of spinach vossner 5 Dec 7, 2010 5:24 AM
growing spinach for the first time, carminator1 1 Dec 6, 2010 10:05 AM
STIR FRIED SPINACH dot2dot 1 Dec 6, 2010 2:16 PM
late fall spinach = early spring crop HoosierGreen 2 Dec 7, 2010 5:33 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America