Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Spinach as a Cool-season, Autumn Crop: late fall spinach = early spring crop

Communities > Forums > Article: Spinach as a Cool-season, Autumn Crop
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spinach as a Cool-season, Autumn CropReplies: 2, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

December 6, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #8247547

I always plant spinach in August for a small fall crop, which then overwinters beautifully to really take off in the spring. They are as tough as dandelions, and produce abundantly even after the coldest winters here in Indiana. Right now, my little spinach plants are under 3" of snow, with temps in the single digits, but I'm confident they will offer me an early spring harvest way before what I could ever get with a spring sowing.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #8247641

Really? I've never tried leaving it in the ground over the winter, unless I had my cold frame over it. Now I wish I'd put one last crop in before the ground froze!

Angie
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

December 7, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #8248176

I'll try to take photos in the spring (and this winter if the snows melts to allow it). The plants plants look like they are snuggled close to the ground, with smaller leaves, but in the spring, they send up normal leaves and off they go! Next fall, try it... it's so easy to get a jump on the spring crop without having to work in cold, wet soil!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spinach as a Cool-season, Autumn Crop Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Didn't even know there were 3 types of spinach vossner 5 Dec 7, 2010 5:24 AM
growing spinach for the first time, carminator1 1 Dec 6, 2010 10:05 AM
STIR FRIED SPINACH dot2dot 1 Dec 6, 2010 2:16 PM
Hooray for spinach! LarryR 1 Dec 6, 2010 2:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America