Photo by Melody

Home Decorating: Poured concrete vs.Skimstone vs concrete board?

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 3, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #8248181

I've wanted poured concrete counters in the kitchen for some time. Only two thing prevent it...Budget and husband's willingness. So I search high and low for a product called Skimstone and finally found it. Not sure if it's be cost prohibitive but instructions sure look labor intensive...SO...I saw a remodeling show that use the concrete board above a fireplace and the ole wheels & gears started spinning. If they could use it as a decorative element and it's used in bathrooms...Why can't I use it on my kitchen counters w/ heavy coating of (water proof) sealent?????
hamptonmeadow
Lakeville, MN

January 17, 2011
9:14 PM

Post #8316403

I looked into this as well but found the concrete board to be too building materialish. Perhaps you have access to something more solid looking?
hamptonmeadow
Lakeville, MN

June 6, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8612862

The concrete board is usally quite varied in gray shades throughout the board.

Skim Stone is hard to pull of in my mind and not sure how durable it is. I also am seeing that getting the color you want may be difficult.

But concret board is so cheap, why not search for some that meet yours needs and go for it!
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9253881

I was thinking about it too. Put the concrete board over your existing countertop, screwed in. Then put a border around the c.b. a little taller than the c.b, pour in the extra smooth cement, trowl it over and run a board over to level it, then you need something to vibrate the top from under the cabinet to let out bubbles, I read. Add color dust, remove the sides when dry, buff it and seal it. You can add crushed pearl in it for bling too. The sides can be done too with a little different temporary side wall or tiled or wood molding for the drip edge. There are a lot of youtube videos with several techniques to do this.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America