Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Flower of Distinction: Cardinal flower: Worthy flowers

Communities > Forums > Article: The Flower of Distinction: Cardinal flower
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Flower of Distinction: Cardinal flowerReplies: 11, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
3pmp
Slocan, BC
(Zone 3a)

December 7, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #8248217

Hi Sharon, A pretty flower indeed. I have sent you a picture of Slocan Lake on one of the threads that was posted awhile ago. I am busy making another calendar for this year and that will be one of the photos in the calendar. I am getting closer to making the purchase of my trailer and lots a reality this month with the mortgage being worked out in the coming weeks. I am glad that I had a chance to read this article. Be sure to comment on the picture.

Alan(3pmp)

Thumbnail by 3pmp
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #8248389

What a beautiful picture, Alan!! And so cold!

Luck with your calendar and the very best of luck with the new home!

Great to hear from you.
Stay warm.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 7, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #8248745

What an enchanting story! I do so enjoy your articles, Sharon, and can only wish I had such a treasure trove of interesting information to share from my childhood. Alas, I had no "Aunt Bett" in my life and all my adventures with plants then were on my own, alone. But now I have yours to share! Thank You!

LariAnn
roseone33
Southern Mountains, GA
(Zone 6b)

December 7, 2010
12:57 PM

Post #8248786

Lovely Sharran, I've been off DG for some months now and what a happy find to see another tale of Aunt Bett and your childhood ramblings today. What a wonderful childhood you had.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

December 7, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #8248837

Great article as usual. I hope that they can take some shade as I want some next yr. & my propsed 'hot bed' is rather shady.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #8249041

LariAnn, thank you. I'm doing the best I can to share Aunt Bett with you!

Rose, it's good to see you back! Thanks for your sweet words. Ummmmm, well, some of my childhood memories are not the best, but I try to not think of them. My mother could very well have told you more about the not so good ones.

Lucy, I can't get the cardinal flower to grow very well here either, but I have neither the shade nor the stream of water. And it's much hotter and drier here than it was in the mountains. Hope you try, though, it might work for you.

Thanks Ladies!
Happy Christmas!
oldkate
Hillsboro, OH

December 7, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #8249159

Sharon, I'll just bet Joe Devlin got blamed for all manner of mischief in grade school! I did a "Search" on lobelia, as I'm more familiar with the blue-flowered ones, and learned there are several hundred varieties. The Cardinal flower isn't that common around here, but what a striking plant. You had to be proud of Aunt Bett's gift. Thanks!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #8249247

Thank you, my friend.

I was scared to death when I went to my class reunion in June, afraid he'd show up.
He didn't, and I was safe once again!!

The plant doesn't grow well for me here in the flatlands. Too hot and dry, I think.
I haven't seen it in a long time.

Merry Christmas, Kate!
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

December 13, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #8257509

I had one in full sun- right near the leaky hose faucet. It was really happy there! Nice article, Sharran. They're one of my all time favorites and no picture can do justice to that shade of red. You really have to see it to believe it! I ordered some bare- root a while back. They came up blue :(
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #8257567

Blue?? Goodness! Now how can a cardinal flower be blue? I've never even seen one fade to pink!
You're right about that shade of red, it shimmers against any background.
Glad they grow for you up there.

My thermometer reached a stunning 9*F this morning. I don't remember it ever being this cold here in the middle of December! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

You all stay warm wherever you are.
joeyramone
Schenectady, NY

January 3, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8289857

I didn't know blue ones existed either, but sure 'nuff! http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/133/
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8289897

Lobelia, yes, there it is.

Thanks for the link!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Flower of Distinction: Cardinal flower Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
'possum gloria125 10 Dec 15, 2010 3:17 PM
Cardinal Flower BayStorm 1 Dec 16, 2010 5:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America