Photo by Melody

Article: The Flower of Distinction: Cardinal flower: 'possum

Communities > Forums > Article: The Flower of Distinction: Cardinal flower
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Flower of Distinction: Cardinal flowerReplies: 10, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 7, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #8248432

http://www.animalpictures1.com/r-opossum-89-opossum-1555.htm

It was our first summer doing archeology field work at the University of Kentucky, when my college roommate rescued 3 baby possums from the pouch of a mother 'possum who had been hit in the road. They spent their first summer living in her waist long blond hair as we learned the basics of digging, profiling, mapping, and drawing our pits.

(scroll to the bottom of the page to see the possum picture)

Great story, Sharran!

This message was edited Dec 7, 2010 10:19 AM
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 7, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #8248455

We have a young possum that dines on the cat food on our back porch--I've named her 'Frosty', and I think she's beautiful! But yeah, as a kid, they'd look just plain scary, lol.

I've been looking for cardinal flowers to plant here on Cardinal Trail, the road my Dad built leading up the hill to our house. They'd do well right next to the creek, around the homemade street sign Dad made, with his metal sculpture of a cardinal sitting atop it!

Great story, as usual, Sharon! You really had us in suspense as to what was following you!

This message was edited Dec 7, 2010 11:33 AM

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

December 7, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #8248835

They have more teeth than most mammels. I have only seen them as road kills & one drowned in a huge milk can which we had in CT. Couldn't back its way out.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #8249047

I'm afraid I wouldn't want to have possoms tangled in my hair, Gloria. I had enough stuff tucked away in it, I doubt if there would have been room for them. Funny about your roommate, though, I love it!! Good for her!!

KY, I've never been very fond of 'possoms, not at all. They always seemed sneaky to me. But I guess all animals have reasons to be, so I just stay out of their way. Your Trail sounds very pretty. You need to share a photo of the street sign your dad made.

Ewwwwuuuuuu, Lucy @roadkill. I try to not look!!

Great to hear from all of you, thank you!!
Maryinhammondsp
Bath, NY

December 13, 2010
3:56 AM

Post #8257227

Lobelia Cardinalis grows well for me here in Western New York. I have had several plants of it in a semi-abandoned flower bed for 20 years or so. I love it and so do the humming birds.

KY Woods, we also have a few possums that eat the cat food we set out for our feral cat. It's the reason we try to keep it cleaned up--we don't want to attract wildlife. I think the young possums are sort of cute, but we had a big ugly bruiser coming for a while that I would not have wanted trying to climb my walking stick.

Sharon, we met an old man in Western Virginia who called his walking stick a hooey stick. If you met something in the woods you didn't want near you, you waved your stick at it and shouted "Hooey." Ever hear that one?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #8257554

I had forgotten that, Mary, thanks for the reminder. I might have even shouted 'Hooey' a time or two myself.
And you are right about the hummingbirds and the flower. I do remember that!
Good to hear from you.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2010
10:18 AM

Post #8257836

The cat food we started putting out for the racoons and possums is what attracted the feral cats, lol...go figure, huh? ;)
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 13, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #8257913

I have one feral cat who has been coming here so long, I guess she's my cat now. She doesn't eat her food if it gets ants in it. The possums though don't care, they come in every night during ant season and eat all the left over cat food ants and all.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #8258367

LOL, they like it spicey, huh?
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #8262215

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!

That story was a HOOT!!

Imagine you, at 10, all ready and planning to do battle with a bear. I'm sure Aunt Bett gave you that plant as a medal of valour!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #8262229

I 'earned' every petal of it, too, Marilyn!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Flower of Distinction: Cardinal flower Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Worthy flowers 3pmp 11 Jan 3, 2011 7:52 AM
Cardinal Flower BayStorm 1 Dec 16, 2010 5:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America