paper bags

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

Has anyone tried composting grocery store brown paper bags/sacks or brown paper lunch bags? Also laundry lint from the dryer? Mine is probably 99% cotton.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I tear up brown paper bags and compost them all the time--but not my laundry lint just because my clothes are not all natural fibers like cotton. I'd say go for it.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I usually take my own bags to the store, but when I forget, I use the brown bags to smother weeds in the walkways between the garden beds.

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks. I've happened to have aquired quite a pile of them and thought they might be like brown corrugated cardboard that I've found breaks down fairly fast if kept wet. Fairly fast as in a year. I'm thinking about trying the lasange method.

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 7a)

I have thrown in old wool clothes and blankets, cotton gloves and feather pillows. The bags from my vacuum cleaner too.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Yup; everything rots. I find that brown paper bags rot pretty quickly when I use them in the lasagna method--like maybe a couple of months. Of course, it depends on the presence of moisture and warmish temperatures. When I use them in lasagne-beds over the winter, they are all composted by planting time around here: late May.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.