Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: New thread needed

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 9, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2010
7:32 AM

Post #8254502

I think it would be a great idea to start a new thread where members would post their past year's wintersowing spreadsheet or handwritten records. It would give newbies and even seasoned wintersowers helpful information about when to sow certain flower and garden seeds in containers.

Let zone and city/state be a requirement for all members. If people don't want to post their city, at least post the county, and state.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 11, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #8254646

Great idea! I am one of the newbies who will WS first time this year, and I hope to soak up a lot of wisdom from all of you. I am about to begin preparing my milk jugs and get with it. Since my garden is very small, I won't do a big amount, and I think I will do some seeds inside under lights as I always have, just to compare results.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #8255068

I ke4ep mine in google Docs - it was created in Excel then uploaded.

[HYPERLINK@spreadsheets.google.com]

it's all there, from 2007 thru 2010, my seed database and the WS notes.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #8257361

Wow, that is one impressive spreadsheet. I keep thinkin' I need to do that...but all I do is think about it.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #8257377

Well, Mary... what I had done, early on... was download Tom Clothier's database and tweaked it. I deleted all the data i did not need and added other columns. His contained over 800 plants/seeds... so i had a lot of deleting to do... but once i had the "bones" of the spreadsheet, i'd just copy over - create a new page. The most work came in creating the page for the winter sowing, as that was all done manually ... but not all in one day, as you can see - I only sow maybe 20 containers max on any given day.

It's always a work in progress... but it works for me. and having the back yrs, i can reference the seed... where it came from especially.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #8257528

I see. Maybe I'll copy yours...whenever I go from a thinkin' about it to an action plan. Thanks for the info tcs.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #8257676

feel free to download it... you can do a save as from Google Docs, then tweak it as you need to. and delete A LOT of pages... but feel free to use mine as a template.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #8257703

Thanks!
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #8259773

Terese, I like how you have added different columns of interest in each year's spreadsheet. Do all of these plants go into your own flowerbeds or do you grow extra to sell? I like the comments section. Interesting what each person's spreadsheets are different; according to what they feel is important data to record from year to year. Gosh, I learn so much from the gardening websites. Thanks for sharing. Now will you come to Md. and teach me how to do a spreadsheet? LOL! Okay, that's on my goal list for 2012.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #8259874

Ahhhh, doing a spread sheet is easy, as long as you have a program for it. If and when you need help.. gimme a holler.

and I do not sell any plants. I have beds here at my house in IL. I do flower beds at our RV Park in Wisc and I give some away.

I like adding the 'location' of where the plant was planted... with 2nd yr perennials, you dont always remember what the foliage looks like... I'm positive over the yrs, i've pulled some thinking they were weeds. If i dont have aplant tag, or a general location of where i put something... i may have no idea where it is. and that has happened too.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America