Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: Sneaky Neighbor Roo!!

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 158, Views: 940
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #8255799

Here he is , bottom left center, trying to sneak up on my babies!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #8255801

Hes really a beautiful bird , but hes is in love with...

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #8255805

...my Cochin Bantam "Silva"!! That just will not do!! I have run him off and even BB'd him with o result, he just keeps coming back!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #8255810

I caught him a week ago and penned him up in the big empty yard! Wrong thing to do now I cant get him to go home even after I released him!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #8255813

True love - are you really going to stand in it's way?
Only kidding. She's your hen - not his! Have you called the neighbor about his Romeo?

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #8255823

Hes just too Handsome to put in the Freezer!
My neighbors could care less! They have 3 roosters that are free loading in my coops. I have to make sure if my birds are free ranging , all my doors to the coops are closed so the neighbor's "free birds" Do not eat my babies feed!
Look at this guy ...what do you think?? He looks to be a Maran but Im not sure! thats my Black Copper behind him! Now this roo is solid black with shiny green showing in his cape! He is also a good 2 inches taller and heavier than My BCM.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #8255855

He has the same color legs as my FBCM, but no feathering!
Hi Tamberlin! Yep I thought about the "lovesick Blues" whenever I hear him sneakin' up from the woods!! But My sweet little Cochin Roo "Iroh" is no match for him, and hes determined to fight! So I have to Keep Iroh and Silva locked up whenever I cant watch out for them!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #8255912

He is a gorgeous bird. I love the green in the black feathers. I've seen that sheen in my silkies and it's absolutely gorgeous!

1.Sounds like you could keep him around and set him up with some ladies of his own if you can figure out his breed.
2. Find him a new home
3. Just let this continue. It's a chicken romance with pictures, love it!

Eufaula you should write books. What a sense of humor and ability to express yourself! This would make an awesome children's book.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #8255956

ain't love grand ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #8255989

We've had a love disaster here too. My newest barn cat who I just paid to have spayed took off with her own Romeo. He was hanging around just before she had her surgery. I saw him come at dusk and her leave off with him. They disappeared together into the woods and she has never returned. It's been about a week now. I hope no wild animal got her. I guess she was smitten. :)
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 12, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #8256027

Eufaula, he definitely has the look and colors of a BCM/ They are beautiful and most often very gentle birds. I love the pic's and yes the story line is great. That is so typical of us guy's just lock us up once and you can't get rid of us...LOL...Hay

No feathering on the legs just means he is an american standard as opposed to the British standard.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2010 11:13 AM

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #8256447

Wellllllllllllll now!! If there is a chance that he might be a Black Maran, and I catch him again , there just may be another roo on the farm!! ...BUT not in the Cochin Coop! Gee Willikers , cant you just see that cross!!!!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #8256501

LFJ, thank You ! If I knew exactly how to go about writing childrens books I would surely do it! Teaching them a fun way to get interested in chickens would be my ideal retirement job!!!
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #8256552

I'll illustrate for you! I have a rescue chicken who could make a good story...
:)
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

December 12, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #8256658

Eufaula, I'll be your cheerleader.

Let's see now...She's a banty cochin...He's a BCM...hmmm...I wonder if that could lead to the Dolly Parton Look...hmmm...Hay

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #8256715

I say if you don't want him there catch him and make him dinner. That was my first thought as soon as I read this post. I have been reading the posts lately but not always adding my two cents LOL!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2010
4:55 AM

Post #8257330

Dolly Parton with stilt legs and snowshoes!!!

Tamberlin, between my photos and your art work , I think we could get something done!!

Rita... we always need your 2 cents!!!!!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 25, 2010
12:42 PM

Post #8276510

I have Roosters too, too many but I gave up killing chickens a long time ago.
Google up "writting for children's books" Maybe you will find something.
Good Luck.
Charleen
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #8276948

Eufaula you need to keep that little roo around. He gets around and somehow does not get eaten. Maybe he can teach the other chickens his tricks.

More than likely he roosts high in the trees.
MissJestr
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #8276966

I will offer a test subject for your books Billy Bob he is learning to read and has a wonderful childrens story someone sent him awhile back and he just loves me to read it... I can recite the book word for word...

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8318579

GRRrrrrrrrrrr! Well that Sneaky dang roo has a plan!! Not only has he been trying his darndest to get to my Blue Cochin Hen, he has succeeded in killing my newly matured "Spanky" Frizzle Roo! He has also lured almost 1/3 of my laying hens , who free range, and my French Black Copper Maran Roo has now dissappeared! Im ready to just give up!
This "blankity Blank" roo comes over and I run it off with the BB gun , sometimes as much as 10 times a day! My next step is definitely looking for a .22 rifle!
My little "Spanky" was just a whim but I wanted to show him at least once! Im just sick!
I also seem to have a varmit with teeth too! No matter how I seal up the Hen House, it still finds a way in! Would you believe it has even pulled the tin away from the back of the nesting area!!
I hate Guns but A Gun seems to be My only way out of this Horror!!!
My precious Seramas and Cochins are locked tight in their small pens, Im terrified to let them out at all!
I have just got to find me someone who has a lot of carpentry skills too!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 19, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8318824

Oh I'm so sorry, poor Spanky! Could dogs be the toothed felons? I like hot wire to keep predators away but a good tight coop is a must too.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8318879

I'm sorry for your losses. Yep, I'd get rid of that rascal. Can you "sic" a dog on him??? Too bad his owners don't take better care of him and you have to suffer. I was thinking an elec. fence too.Would it work???
This is Louie, he didn't like the snow. He is up on a milkcrate.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 19, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8319006

Louie is most handsome!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8319011

Thank you.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8319048

My little Chihuahua runs the heck out of that Rooster, but at night he wouldnt be much help against a critter with big teeth!
Awww RRR, Louie is sooo sweet!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8319413

oh noooooooo!!!! I am so sorry Eufaula
Yep it sounds like it is time for chicken stew
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 19, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8319556

Eufaula: IF it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all. I'm so sorry about spanky he was so cute. I would at least get a pellet gun, if you don't like guns I understand but at least a pellet gun would kill any small predator and leave a deep impression on any large animal. I sure wished I was close Eufaula I would come on over and we would secure that coop real good and than dare any varmit to try and get in...Riping tin away sounds more like racoons than dogs to me...Sure wish there was some way I could help you...Hay

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8319647

Can't you set some kind of traps out to catch them??? I wish I could help too. There has got to be something. Yep, Chicken stew for that one for sure!!!!!
Thank you Dear...Louie is a sweetie.
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8319667

Well Roos will be Roos LOL!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8319683

Oh thank You everyone! Just being able to vent and cry on your shoulders does help a lot! Being a single older woman living alone really pushes my limits sometimes! I do not have any male members of my family living close at all, and financially,...well lets just say hiring someone to help out is null and void!
Thanks Haystack, I know you and so many of the others here would be more than willing to help me out with this problem. I would do so for you all also!
As for the pellet gun... I have one that shoots BB's and pellets. At first the rooster would jump and run when I hit him, now its as if they just bounce off him and he doesnt even speed his pace to get away .
Yes Im sure the critter or critters are either raccoons or possums.The carcasses that I find always have the telltale signs, no head and no viscera! The ones that are a mystery are the chickens( full grown 7to8 pound) layers that are just dissappearing! I just cant figure out what could carry off that big a hen or rooster, without narry a sign or feather lost???? All 4 of my Rhode island red hens ( just a laying age) gone! I have the Roo left.
5 of 6 of my Wyandotte orp cross Hens ( laying age) gone, I still have the 6 Roos. 1 buff orp Hen gone... Do you see the trend here? Some one at work even suggested that the sudden dissapearance of just Hens that size could be the work of a human theif! Now THAT is a scary thought!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8319707

That does sound suspicious doesn't it?

Eufaula you seem like such a special person, I'm so sorry you are having these problems. Surely things will improve soon.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8319712

Coyotes or foxes, it sounds like to me. Hit and run...
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8319924

not a trace of a feather sounds like coyote to me too. My goose disappeared with no signs either. Yesterday about 1 hr before dark hubbie just happened to look out the front door and there were 2 coyotes at the pond. He has the shot gun sitting by the door. Shooting one probably won't happen since they saw me in the dining room windows and took off. He still went out down the back side of the damm and fired off a few shots into the woods. Thankfully I had just gotten the yard ducks and geese put up about 20 minutes before. I had already read that 1 hour before and after sunrise and 1 hr before sunset is the most likely time they strike. Try getting some of the energy efficent daylight bulbs and leave it on all night in your coops. I do. They only burn like 9 watts for a 40 watt bulb I think it is and they are very bright
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

January 19, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8319959

Eufaula get rid of the bb's and use the pellets, I guarantee you they won't just bounce off and the rooster or varmint won't forget what they feel like. BB's won't penetrate those feathers but a pellet sure will and in most cases they will kill a chicken on the spot. I wished you could reach through your computer I give you my trusty .22...Haystack
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 19, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8319967

- And give your air rifle a few extra pumps.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8320204

Ok will do! Ive never used the pellets before ...have to use a strip thingy to add pellets one at a time! I will learn how! Gonna get that Roster...weekend coming and Im gonna put the pot of water on the stove getting ready!
As for the other varmits... gonna have to get me some traps for sure!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8321607

Good luck hun! I hope you get that sucker! AND all the other destructive predators!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8322149

I've read a university study that reported that coyotes will stay out of the lighted area cast by vapor lights. Can't remember the university, but I do remember it was a larger state uni. They showed night photos of the coyotes consistently skirting the entire lighted area regardless of what prey was placed in the lighted area. This was a several year long study. I've not tried it myself, but DH and I are discussing having a vapor light put up next to the shed in our new goat pasture. I like not having any lights around out here in the country, but we also have lots of coyotes. If it is a coyote, and based on this research, a light might help. As for that rooster, he'd be gone if it were me. I'm horrible about killing anything but spiders and snakes. I think I would catch him and then give him to someone at church. I would "dissapear" all of that neighbor's roosters, though. I think I might be looking a staying up all night just to make sure this wasn't a two legged varmit also?????!!!!! I'm kind of a suspicious little thing...can't imagine how I got that way, hmmmmmm ;~'!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8322230

So sorry about your losses. It is frustrating. I'd kill the ole boy for sure.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 21, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8322584

I would be wating with my sights on him
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8323278

How awful! I agree, load your gun with pellets and wait for him! I believe the humane society loans traps. Maybe you can get one and trap the other critters?

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8323893

Im getting traps today and loading Pellets also!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2011
1:40 AM

Post #8327008

This is getting exciting now! I can just see Eufaula with that pellet gun, and setting those traps. You go Eufaula. The rest of us are routing you on. Get those chicken killin varmints.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 24, 2011
3:56 AM

Post #8327059

Did you get em yet???

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8327149

No! I went to Tractor Supply and they had a sale on two traps for one and only $25.00. One big "Coon" size and one Weasel size. I set them Saturday night and nothing in the big one Sunday morning. My little Wild Serama Roo "Carrot" was in the little one! ( who would have thought that Chickens like Tuna Fish) :o)
So last night I set the traps again... this morning the Big trap was tripped no bait gone!! the little one all the bait gone but no varmit!!! Im thinking the little one probably got visits from mice! NOt heavy enough to trip the trap!
No varmits have gotten inside the hen house yet though, so all my babies so far are okay!

NOw the only thing strange that happened over the weekend was that I usually put my 2 White Serama babies ( almost grown) , very young Cochin Pullet( Spanky's girl) and my brand new baby white Silkie pair and my baby Dark Brahma quad on the enclosed porch with my Chihuahua during the day. They have a ball playing and sunning!
Yesterday I went out to the barn and took my Chi with me! After about an hour... I heard baby sqeaks and screams from one of the Chicks! I ran to the porch and one of the baby Brahmas was gone! No feathers or blood or any sign at all! Where is CSI when you need them! Now I am suspecting a neighbor Cat!! Ding Dang It! Ive got Varmits coming out the Ying Yang!!! I will not be letting my babies play with out their Chihuahua body guard ever again!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8327307

The neighbor would be a cat less soon.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8327396

I think that is what cats do.. Just grab and run.. I've lost chicks like that.. even some pretty good sized chicks!

I smear canned cat food on the flap that they have to push down on inside the trap. Also, put the bait as close to the back of the cage as you can (out of reach for them to grab from the outside) (I've seen cats reach in and get the bait) Or you can put the bait UNDER the flap they have to trip.. that way they have to get all the way behind it to get it, and it usually get's em locked in before they eat.

You can catch more with canned cat food than even tuna or salmon! I've caught possum with just chicken bones..
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8327464

Eufaula, I took advantage of that TS sale this weekend. Someone dumped a cat here at work. I think it is a she and I'm going to try and trap her and take here to the vet. She won't let anyone near her, but I am feeding her. We will be building a barn this summer and, as such, I'm thinking I may have a home for her as we will need a mouser. The trap sale was a good deal, I thought.

I love that brave little Chihuahua of yours. Sound like a mini Great Pyrenese, but instead of goats and sheep, this would be a poultry guardian dog!

I'm sorry you are loosing your babies (Brahmas are my favorites), I sure hope you find out what is going on so this can be resolved!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8327492

Chiuahuas usually think they are BIG. I had one chase my half doberman, half labrador dog. Very fun to see.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8327695

My Hubby says if a Great Dane had a Chihuahua's attittute, we'd all be in for a lot of trouble. Glad mine is small too. He is a sweet little Mess of a dog.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8327704

Ive had 3 great Danes... big ole Goofy things! I love em but they are NOT good with Chickens! They think every thing that is smaller than them selves is a Chase and run toy! Those big old feet on the back of a Chicken is NOT a good thing!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8327863

Well, my longears finally getting used to my Chickens. Thank God. They did damage two and now they are my front yard birds. So proud of my little longears for leaving my chickens alone...They can do some serious damage to a chicken...

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8328121

Well I did it! the pound called me and said they had 8 little mixed Lab/ Weirmaraner and something else puppies. They were about 8 weeks old. Perfect for raising in the Chicken barn. so I adopted a boy, started to get a girl, but changed my mind and here he is! I think his name will be , Uhmmm, not sure yet!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8328127

He really is a beutiful puppy, great temperament and isnt afraid of the Chickens, but never once did he try to approach them! He walked all around the chicken house and yard and followed them watching but never barked!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8328133

Here he is looking as if to say..." Theyre funny lookin pups Mom!"

Thumbnail by Eufaula

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8328258

cute!! "These pup have no hair. They talk in a foreign language too"
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8328502

Watch him close. Both those breeds are bird dogs. Don't let him chase the chickens AT ALL.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8329092

So Far no Chasing of the Chickens or attempts. He even slept with them last night on his own blanket about 6 feet away from the roost. This morning I went out and fed him and locked him up again with the girls . You have to realize that he has a fenced in 10x10 run , a 8x12 open chicken house and a 14x12 enclosed shed holding Serama pens, all connected for him to explore. So far the Chickens think hes just another Chihuahua and he just doesnt know What the Chickens are and doesnt seem to mind!
I now I will have to make other arangements soon becouse hes going to want his own space but day by day that will come! I just want the dog scent out there! Im hoping that a mean chicken stealing critter will get the message!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8329246

He is adorable! And look at those feet--he'll have some size to him as well. And congrats on getting one from the pound. Even if he just learns to bark when a predator comes around at night he will be earning his keep. Oh, and if it is a skunk, I have found that the baking soda/peroxide/Dawn detergent really works well!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8329277

I heard Tomatoe juice works too, to get rid of scents..
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 25, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8329409

I think the tomato juice is mostly an old wives tale...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8329440

I'm glad you are not having any problems thus far. He is a good looking little guy. Expect him to be very active. Both those breeds are. And he should mature to a very good sized dogs. Labs are on the heavier side and weimers are tall.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 25, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8330094

What Terri said is right and it works great had a boxer rottie mix that loved skunks,I allso heard that simple green sprayed on full strength and then rinsed off workd never tried it so don`t know.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8330487

He looks big for eight weeks. Congratulations. He's very pretty.

Are you still baiting those traps?

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8330956

Hes doing so well! I came home yesterday and we had play time and he followed me around feeding the chickens. He wasnt at all interested in their feed but stayed right at my heels ...and under them..LOL! I had to speak a sharp"NO!", to him and he backed off immediately but didnt cower. I began a little "Sit and Come" training ,with a little treat, so he will get used to me and my commands, he did pretty well , but for only about 10 minutes, then the puppy "I wanna play and investigate" came out. So no more treats as he played.
It was raining a lot so our play time was cut short...I had to curb my Mothering instincts to take him inside by the heater and love on him. He has never been inside a warm environment his whole 8 weeks as far as the pound report says, so I have to keep reminding my self he is going to be a working outside dog. Even though he has a very nice dry chicken feed shed to live in when it is nasty weather. His thick velvety coat repels water so well that I want have to worry about him not staying warm.
Sorry! Ive turned this into a puppy thread ... nuff ..small reports from now on! ;o )
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8330997

No, no no, I love the reports, keep them coming. That's what makes this site special.

I have often wondered how the animals take the weather as well as they do. In Canada the temps are 30 below and they have the most gorgeous wildlife!

Yes, the puppy is fine outside, mama. lol In fact, if you bring him in you could be doing him a disservice, as his body is acclimated to the outdoors, as I'm sure you know.

So, is the idea, if the puppy is raised with the chickens he will not chase them later on? Is he right in the pens with them?

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8336079

so happy to hear your new puppy is working out for you
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8346166

Waiting to hear what's going on now. Let me guess, puppy is now sleeping in the house. :)
Elleisn
Denver, CO

February 3, 2011
12:06 AM

Post #8346204

When you mentioned the Chihuahua with the 'tude, it reminded me of when we rescued our little teacup poodle, all 5 pounds of him. For some unbelievable reason he decided he really needed to keep attacking my Great Dane. Now even tho poodles are rather bouncy, they don't have all that much hang time, so he would jump up and attack Maxie's thigh, then come back down to earth. Well he would do that about 17 times in a row. Bouncy little fellow. Maxie would just look at him, then look at us, like "What's up with him?" Maxie, with all his Great Dane dignity and magnanimity, could never consider defending himself from a teacup poodle. But it definitely got on his nerves after a while.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8346322

Okay heres what is going on! Puppy has new Name..."Bubba"! He finally came to something and Bubba it is!
No hes not in the house...yet! He has decided that the barn is not the place he wants to sleep. He has decided that the front porch is much better! Since " P.P." , my Chihuahua, has his daytime Quarters on the porch, Bubba will just have to learn how to stay in the 10X10 dog yard with house , during the day. Hes not happy about it but he will learn! Besides... having a 100 to 125 pound dog sleeping on the porch at night is going to be very comforting!
Now... my maran is still producing one egg every other day. I believe thge other Maran is hiding her eggs whenever she free ranges. I will be searching the yard to find them.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8351769

GOT HIM!!!!! Finally got the booger! Its small but...

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8351777

Can you see those teeth!!! I took him waaaaaaaay down the road into the woods. I dont know who was shaking scared more... me or him when it came time to let it loose! When I put on my heavy work gloves and opened the trap it was already scoochin under the door and running! Bye Bye little opossum ...DONT COME BACK!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 3, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8351784

Well done!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8351913

Good for you girl. I am so glad you got rid of one of your varmits...
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8352113

Good job! Those teeth look like razors.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8352377

Congrats, Congrats, Congrats!!!

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8353297

I am glad I am not seeing any oppossums or coons. I am not even the bunnies any that means the coyotes are staying very close to me. I keep my ears open constantly
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8353656

Very cool! One less thing to worry about! Good photos.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 4, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8353834

Has the rooster ever come back?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8354268

Possums have more teeth than any mamal in North America.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8354323

I'm sorry.. I hate possums.. they just gross me out. I caught one in a trap and thought for sure it was just another cat till I went out there.. (in my driveway after dark) that thing hissed at me and I screamed at him and jumped 3 feet I'm sure! Stupid possum.. scared me to death..
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8354433

They actually make great pets but you have to raise them from very young. They are clean and very easy to care for. And great for conversation. We rescued one after her mother and all her siblings died from a run in with a car. She was so dehydrated I thought surely she would not make the night. But she did. We raised her on pedialyte and lactose free baby formula. She made the front page of the local paper 3 times. We named her Jolie' Pas. It means not beautiful in Cajun. LOL
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 5, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8355160

Ugly pets are in. This is Pshammy our pet Javelina.

Thumbnail by porkpal

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8355337

Wow! I had no idea you could tame one of those.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 5, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8355587

He was rescued from a dog at age about two weeks. I brought him up on a bottle, figuring that I would turn him loose when he reverted to wild - well he's the tamest thing ever so I got him neutered and he is a great pet.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8355633

I like their little paws. Our dogs used to kill them and I'd see them. They have the sweetest looking little paws, soft, similar to a monkey's.

It's so difficult for me to imagine them killing a chicken, but obviously they do. Those little paws are probably very agile.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8355968

Okay folks! Here is the "Demon" rooster! ARE YOU GOING TO BELIEVE THIS GUY!!!
After shooting and hitting him at least 5 times with pellets from a distance of 10 feet, he still comes back. He trapped himself today in the chicken yard...AH HAAAA... Now I thought I would get him for sure...Chicken pot pie here I come!!!
I loaded up my pellet gun and even gave it two more pumps than needed... walked right up to him ( less than 3 feet ) Shot him point blank. He raised up his old wing and I just knew I got him right in the chest...er no he just looked at me and jkept walking back and forth. Well I fuggured I must have injured him so I gave him another pop in the head, I didnt miss, he just ran for the coop and hid then got up and stared at me! Sorry for the graphic content but I really tried to kill this sucker. After failing I decided to just leave him and maybe he would fall over dead if left alone. UH NO!! I checked back on him and that sucker has joined the flock and on the Roost WITH my main Roo ROHO!! ARRRGGGGHHHHHH!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8355980

So tonight I will go out to the roost and gently remove him and put him in with my other roosters in the man cave! There he will have 6 companions ... all Male... whether he likes it or not!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8355982

Geeze porkpal, you always have something wondeful going on at your house. I don't think he's ugly at all. I love pigs.
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8355990

Eufaula, face it, he was meant to live with you. You've shot him countless times and he loves you enough to stay. Give him a hug, some treats, and a hen of his own. Congratulations on your new Roo!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8356002

GEEEEEEEEEESH!!! i guess you are right Annie!
Okay somebody... What do you think he is? He has legs just like the Marans ,but he s definitely not a Copper.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8356009

I don't know what he is but he belongs to YOU! Also, he needs a real name, "Sneaky Neighbor Roo" is undignified. Have you hugged him yet? LOL

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8356015

No I upgraded him to "Demon"
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8356028

Eufaula, you are hilarious. Say hi to Mr. Rooster for me.

Now, I'm having second thoughts about giving my two mean hens away. Finally wrote the person on freecycle today and said, come and get them. Guess if they don't show up I'll put them back in the yard.

It might be good to have two mean hens out there to run off the cats and what not. Otherwise the others might just be sitting ducks.

Maybe they will get used to the new blue. I'll know to keep them away from any baby chicks I might have around from now on.

Guess we'll see if they write me back. When I look at these hens I have no friendliness in my heart toward them. Well, not much.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2011 6:39 PM
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8356030

LOL Demon? Seriously? You shot him, several times, when all he was trying to do was to show you how much he loved you and your chickens. Come on, Eufaula, he needs a good name!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8356049

Lucifer is his name!!!!!!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8356054

Just call him MISTER. He is all male.

He sure doesn't look hurt. He's really adorable, just look at that attitude. I love the pictures.
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8356093

Ok, how about Damon, after Matt Damon in the movie Good Will Hunting. This poor rooster was a good boy trying to find a home.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8356149

You Guys are not helping!! LOL!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8356165

LOL Picking names is so fun. I always think they should have a name you want them to live up to.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 5, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8356266

I am laughing myself sick...Mr invincible, is not a black copper. I'd like to see him from the back or from the top down. Annie you have had me rolling. Here Eufaula is trying so hard and your just loving this thing. She wishes him dead, while your encouraging him to live. You ladies need to get it together...LOL...This is fun.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8356296

As many times as you have shot him, I think Target is a very fitting name.
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8356431

YEAH you shot the heck out of him, please give him a nice name!!! :-) CajuninKy stop it, Target is a horrible name for a guy who defied death to live with her! I would name him SEVEN, it's a lucky number and considering that is about the amount of times you shot him LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8356460

I think Target is a great name. It tells his story and how he overcame odds to get to where he is.
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8356479

CajuninKy, you make me laugh!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8356490

LOL It might also remind him to mind his Ps and Qs because there is more where that came from. Keep him from gettin' too cocky. LOL
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 5, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8356522

What a fun thread: Cajun you just had to come along and stir this thing up didn't you...LOL...You Ladies are a rip...
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 6, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8357095

I like Taget to or how about sneaker,if he had died and you tried to eat him he would have been some bruised up for all the shots you gave him,after all that he needs to stay with you.LOL
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8357114

Eufaula I hope it works out with him staying with you and doesn't harm any other of your Roo's
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8357169

I'd call him Defy ... Defies death for sure! I'd think some of that strength would be a good thing for your stock, cause it seems pullets/hens just die or just are so susceptible to death.. ? I wonder?

Either way.. if he were mine, I'd keep him..

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8357281

OMG!!! I have lost my Mind! I am now starting to feel sorry for this Guy! I placed him in the Rooster house ...and this morning all six of the big guys let him have it! Now the KING of the Coop and oldest of the brood of Buff O XWyandotte Crosses is badgering Demon to death. Now I feel sorry for him! I was going to leave him with the Boys until I either got someone to come and get them or put them all in the pot! Now Im starting to wonder if I should put him with the 2 Maran girls... Oh Lordy Lordy... My mind has just flown the Coop!
Here he is when I caught him the first time. Standing in front of my Black Copper , before he dissappeared!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8357290

Poor guy! (I refuse to call him Demon LOL) Give him a few girlfriends so he can live the life he worked so hard to get. You're a sweetie for deciding he could live with you.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 6, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8357755

I think more than ever "Target" is appropriate for him.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8357829

After all this, the neighbors will probably drive over wanting to know where their rooster is.

Edited for spelling.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2011 7:20 PM

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8358623

Not to worry... The Demon Target.. flew out of the pen and was not to be seen this morning! So the Saga continues...

Oh I reported on the other thread... I have a Wade-Jeanne line BCMaran Roo on the way! Now I will have gorgeous purbred Maran babies soon!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8358877

What a Rooster!!!!!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2011
7:44 AM

Post #8358903

You are very lucky on the BCM roo. You need to resolve the Target saga before your new roo arrives. Sure wouldn't want him killed.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8359059

Hmmmm maybe hes a reincarnated Ex!!!! His tactics are about the same. lol! Come in and woo the girls and leave em with the Hubbies on his backside!!!!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8359211

LOL @ Eufaula
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8359348

Oh my, you'll be selling eggs.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8359429

LOL @ Myself!!! I'd name the roo Shrapnel.. LOL LOL
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8360042

I think he packed up and joined the circus because he hated his name LOL
Hope you'll post lots of pics of your new BCM! I just love Marans, am looking forward to getting Marans chicks this month.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 7, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8360191

Eufaula, don't put to much stock in Wade-Jean lines. That stock is used and abused more so than any when it comes to BCM. We have a lot in this area that make that claim and most of them are just not what you'd think. One thing I would watch for is a single or couple white feather toward the back on either side. Lots of people pluck them out before taking pic's or selling but they always grow back...If if can find my old pic's I'll show you an example...Hay

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8360479

Thanks for the headsup Haystack! NO white feathers!
the gentleman and his wife are great friends and belong to several well noted Chicken societies and clubs, so Im pretty sure he is very honest about the Roo.
You girls are so funny about what name for that old Demon Roo...but I do like "Shrapnel" Im gonna use it! thanks ZZ! ;0 )
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8360779

The Highlander Rooster. "There can be only one". Giggle, giggle =P.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 8, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8360893

Thats great news Eufaula, I wish you every success...Hay P.S. Is he American, or French standard...

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8361142

Heeeeheeee, Frenchy! lacy fancy leggins and all!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 9, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8363718

Thank you Eufaula.. I cracked myself up when I thought of it!!! LOL
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2011
6:23 PM

Post #8433327

Eufaula, what is happening with this rooster? Did you catch anything else in the traps?

Update. Please.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8433887

Hi LFJ, Yep "Old Shrapnel" is still hanging around. Wouldnt you just know, Out of a dozen large eggs that I used to get my incubator set up for this years hatches only one hatched and guess WHO was the proud Father!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8434122

Congratulations!!! Bet he is proud.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8434216

Well the little chick is cute and Ive named it "Tough Ole bird"! Tuffy for Short! Photos this afternoon. Im still trying to figure who its mother was! I think it was My little RIR Hen. Her eggs are so close in color to the Buff Orpingtons but smaller so Im pretty sure it was her!
Now Shrapnel may be a proud Papa but Old RoHo and I are still trying our darndest to keep him from spreadings his genes any farther!

As far as the trapping goes, so far I have trapped 2 cats as well as the one Possum. Since then something has killed only one Hen, ONe of my precious Marans! Whatever it is is trap wary and hasnt attempted to go into the trap! I 've also caught 1 hen, 1 Serama Roo, and 1 Mr. P.P. Chihuahua , so now I have to be very careful when and where I set the trap!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8434373

Meci, me!!!! what a strange collection of snared critters. that is the way it goes tho...
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8434413

Oooooo, poor Mr PP Chihuahua! Hope he and the chicken have now learned to stay away from the trap.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8434421

Oh yes, I have to be very careful! I learned the hard way, that even a Hav-a-heart trap can be dangerous for a smaller animal or bird. I actually lost a beautiful Serama Roo when he tripped the trap door some how when he was trying to go back out. It came down on his head and broke his neck. This just tore me up inside to know that I let one of my babies get itself into such a dangerous situation. So NO set trap during the day, and only at night after I have made sure that everyone is safe and secure into their pens and houses.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8454244

Mr. Possum number 2! Caught and released Far, far away! Im hoping this is the sneaky critter that has been tearing open the wire from the bottom of the hen house door! he was a heavy ole thing! He let me know that he big ole teeth too! He kept his mouth wide open the whole time I had him in that Hav-a-heart! I was glad to be rid of him!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8454324

They have more teeth than any mammal in North America.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8454374

I can believe that Caj! EEEEeeeyucky! The damage that I have been finding when one of my Hens are attacked is unbelieveable! those teeth have to be razor sharp! Im hoping that I can keep ahead of the nasty critters now that I know what Im dealing with!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 27, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8454404

Glad we don`t have them here they are creepy looking

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8454430

You can say that again! They look like a big ole overgrown rat! But they move like some one on an over dose of ADHD drugs! Sooooooo slow, but dangerously fast mouth action! So I was amazed when I turn it loose and it finally realized it was free... it turned tail and ran into the bushes super fast!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 27, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8454577

Congratulations! Great hunting.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8455248

They make great pets.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8455300

Cajun, I just dont think I would want one! I guess , if I found a motherless little baby one , Id probably take it in until I could find a rescue source. But I just do not think it would be a good pet while trying to raise chickens too! It would think I was raising it very own buffet! LOL!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8455320

That is one wicked looking 'possum! Great work getting that one captured.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8455750

We kept ours inside just like a cat. She was so much fun and their fur is as soft as anything you can imagine. They are not any trouble either as they will sleep the whole time you are not playing with them.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8456101

There are some really cute videos on youtube of baby ones, that people have as pets.

I looked for a video of them in action killing chickens, and couldn't find one. Seems so strange that they are so slow, yet can kill ducks and chickens.

Or is that what it means when people say "playing possum"?

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8456172

Playing possum is when they pass out. It's a defensive mechanism. They put out a very bad smell when they do and it is supposed to trick the predator into thinking they are dead and rotten.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8456209

I think my ex husband did that..
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 28, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8456213

Were you convinced?
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8456242

Yeah.. it worked. :)

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8457744

Hmmmmmmm, did we have the same EX?????LOL!!!!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8457992

LOL! You guys are so funny =D!
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8458022

Baked possum and sweet taters!! Yum!!!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8458257

I have heard of people eating them. I would guess you'd have to know the trick to demusking them.
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8462622

LOL I was kidding. Although my mom, who is 95, ate plenty of them growing up. There were 8 kids in the family to feed and they ate anything their father could shoot that day.

We do shoot on site though. Racoons and opossums, skunks, muskrats, porcupines etc. are nuisance animals that can do a lot of damage. We just don't fool with them. We had one raccoon eat nearly every apple on one apple tree. Porcupines will quill your dog and cost you a big vet bill if you don't know how to remove them yourself. Who wants their dogs skunked? We have two nearby farms who trap and keep the nuisance animals to a minimum as well including coyotes. It sounds cruel but if you want or need to survive on your homestead you have to learn how to protect your chickens and gardens. That's my point of view anyway. I know many others differ. Many would rather trap and drive somewhere and dump them out so they can be a nuisance to someone else. We just took in a cat someone dumped out here. It was fixed and declawed and clearly an indoor kitty. For whatever reason someone couldn't keep them and decided to dump it out at a farm rather than take care of it some other way. The sad thing is when you take animals out of their natural habitat and transfer them to another area they usually die.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2011
1:06 AM

Post #8464238

I trap wild Animals and I take them into the National forest, I live next to, and I release them. I remove them from human and domestic animal habitation and put them back into their natural surroundings. Here in georgia there are so many wonderful protected areas for wild life.
As for catching feral and domesticated cats, I take them to the animal shelter. The shelter then makes the decision whether the animal is adoptable or not! Im happy to say out of 5 that I caught in the past two years , only one had to be euthanized.
I guess if I owned a gun , I probably would shoot a predator if I ever saw it attack my animals , but I dont ever see the attack or the offender, so I Hav-a -heart them. So far, since Ive been using the trap , I havent lost any more chickens.
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8464793

I used to think like you did till I actually did some research on the subject. Now we shoot or trap and shoot. Here is why.

http://wildcaresolutions.com/?p=228

The Truth About Trapping and Relocating Wildlife
By Maggie SergioPublished: March 4, 2010
By far, the majority of people out there do believe that trapping and relocating wildlife is a humane solution to a problem they are having with a “nuisance animal”.

Young Raccoon Mother Trapped with Her Kit - click on this image to see the full size version. (Photo courtesy of wildlife.pro)
This couldn’t be further from the truth.

When members of the public take matters into their own hands and get a Havaheart trap to capture an animal on their property, they have no idea what they are getting into. Or, the fact that they are going to be contributing to the animal’s suffering and most likely, premature death. And, here in California, it is illegal to trap and relocate wildlife. If an animal is trapped it must be released on site, or killed. That is the law.

Anyone who is considering either trapping themselves or hiring a professional trapper please read through this carefully and call me if you have any questions. WildCare does have licensed trappers on staff. However, we use more humane and less stressful methods that do work. We only resort to trapping if we are trying to capture an injured animal.

The top Reasons why Trapping Wildlife doesn’t work.

1) You have no guarantee that you will trap the offending animal. You may catch something but how will you know it is the animal you are after? The fact is, you don’t.

2) Trapping wildlife creates orphans. There is always the potential you have trapped a mother that has a nest of babies somewhere.

3) It is incredibly stressful for a wild animal to be trapped and often they injure themselves trying to get out. Teeth and claws are often broken in the animal’s frantic effort to escape. Here at WildCare we see many injured raccoons, squirrels and skunks when people taking matters into their own hands, or hire a professional trapper because raccoons are digging up their lawn.

4) Animals dumped in another location have no idea where the food and water sources are. This often leads to starvation and death. Studies done on raccoons that were relocated support this finding. The animal will typically die within 2 weeks of being relocated.

5) Most likely you will be dumping this animal in the territory of another animal and this will lead to territory disputes, and often these fights lead to serious injuries and death.

6) If you capture a sick animal and transfer it to a healthy population, this spreads disease.

7) If you remove an animal out of its territory (by either trapping or killing) you have opened up a territory and another animal will soon show up to take its place.

8) It doesn’t solve the problem. As long as the attractant remains (food, shelter or water) other animals will show up. Removing the source of what is attracting them is the solution.

However, laws regarding this do vary from state to state. Here in California, according to the California Dept of Fish & Game, Section 465, (G) (1), the law states that animals trapped must be released on site or killed. Below I cut and pasted what the law states.

(1) Immediate Dispatch or Release. All furbearing and nongame mammals that are legal to trap must be immediately killed or released. Unless released, trapped animals shall be killed by shooting where local ordinances, landowners, and safety permit. This regulation does not prohibit employees of federal, state, or local government from using chemical euthanasia to dispatch trapped animals.

If you hire a pest control company or wildlife control company and they tell you there are relocating wildlife they are either 1) lying to you or 2) breaking the law.

Trapping wildlife is never the solution when dealing with nuisance wildlife. Please call me if you are considering trapping your wild neighbors. We can talk about solutions that are less stressful on the animals and less stressful on you!

Live Well with Wildlife!
Maggie Sergio
Director, WildCare Solutions
~~~~~~~~~~~

More resources on trapping

http://www.ottawahumane.ca/wildlife/wildlifetrapping.cfm

http://guelph.ca/living.cfm?itemid=72628&smocid=2363

http://californiaoutdoors.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/can-trespassing-wildlife-be-trapped-and-relocated/

http://www.noozhawk.com/article/031611_outdoors_qa_can_trespassing_wildlife_be_trapped_and_relocated/

porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 1, 2011
10:43 AM

Post #8465013

I agree. It is as Michael, I believe it was, said in another forum. You remove an animal you leave a void to soon be filled by another. Build secure housing and you will have no predator problems. We recently shot two raccoons that were trying to raid our chicken yard in broad daylight as we suspected they were rabid. Other than that it is live and let live around here.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America