Photo by Melody

Article: Blue Hollies: Premier Evergreens for Northern Gardens: Dragon Lady - No Berries

Communities > Forums > Article: Blue Hollies: Premier Evergreens for Northern Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Article: Blue Hollies: Premier Evergreens for Northern GardensReplies: 1, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
diggerdane
Fennville, MI

December 13, 2010
4:08 AM

Post #8257239

The tall form of Dragon Lay is amazing .. she grows upright with a vengence. But.. I've never gotten her to produce any berries, in spite of having a partner close by. Anybody else have this experience? Is Castle Wall also shy with berries?

Could be it's a hormonal problem .. often seen with fruit trees like apples .. where vertical brances seldom bear, and horizontal branches are prolific. Orchardists take advange of this with selective pruning to increase the crop.

But with Dragon Lady, pruning to favor horizontal branches would go defeat the major strength of the variety. Is there an answer?
holly_grower
Bear, DE

December 13, 2010
4:24 AM

Post #8257262

Dragon Lady gives me problems as well. It's not that the plant doesn't flower or set fruit - for me it's a matter of losing the fruit when the weather gets hot, or especially dry, in the summer. I try to keep it well watered in the summer, and once every few years I manage to bring it into the fall with a good berry crop, but not this year. The plant is about fifteen feet tall, and you have to look really hard to find any berries at all. Still, it is a gorgeous plant with a nice pyramidal habit, and I'll keep it!

One thing you may have to watch with Dragon Lady is that its bloom time is so early that it can get caught in a late frost. This happens a lot with the aquifolium x pernyi and cornuta x pernyi hybrids, even when you have a good male plant blooming at the right period nearby.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Blue Hollies: Premier Evergreens for Northern Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Im looking for hollies! gloria125 5 Feb 5, 2009 1:19 PM
Blue Hollies... darius 0 Dec 20, 2008 7:47 PM
missing berries geraldine87 0 Dec 22, 2008 12:35 PM
Love Hollies erichle 1 Dec 24, 2008 1:52 AM
yellow berry holly bleusky 0 May 6, 2009 2:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America