Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Computer Talk: Newsletter program

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 31, Views: 204
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #8257542

I'm going to take over writing the newsletter for our garden club. It's been mailed out for years, but we're now going to add it to the club website. Do you really need desktop publishing to put a newsletter together? 2nd question...How do you format it to add it to an existing website? Is converting it to a PDF the best way to do it?
Strever
Hiouchi, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #8257695

Bubbles
you can use what ever you are most comfortable with to actually write your newsletter
is the newsletter e-mailed or posted ?
does the club have a webmaster ?
if so ask them what format they want, and a good webmaster can convert almost anything
maybe a peek at the previous newsletter will answer the question

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2010
9:12 AM

Post #8257761

Thanks I'll get in touch with the webmaster...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #8257780

Bubbles... i took over the newsletter for our RV Park. The guy who did it for 26 yrs was a printer, so they all printed and mailed. new generation, the electronic age.. [and trying to save money]. I use WORD, then do a save as pdf, and that way it can be e-mailed, uploaded to our web site, and still print for those who do not have computers.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 13, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #8257823

That's what we're about to do...take our club kicking and screaming to the web! It costs abut $100. with printing and mailing each month. Not to mention the extra work of taking it to the printer and making mailing labels. A few of our older members (who have computers) still want the mailed newsletter, so we're going to have to work on that... I was asked to do this, and I said I'd only take it on if I could put it on the website.
Used WORD yesterday, and we did a test page then converted it to PDF, and it worked okay...but just doesn't have the features of a DTP that we think would make it even easier. Going to try Page Plus program by Serif, a free download, this afternoon.
Thanks for the feedback!
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #8260209

Please read this:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html-primer.html

If you're going to be doing this on a semi-regular basis, it's WELL worth your while to learn how to code HTML and not rely on a fancy editor. (It's really a pretty simple language.)

I'm just sayin... =)
Eggs
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #8260498

Oooooh, nooooooooo! I only agreed to take the newsletter to the club's website. It's hard enough to figure how to wrap text around photos. I've read thru your link and my head is spinning... I am only committed to taking the newsletter to the web ...for one year. Hopefully, it will be easy for anyone else that follows to just cut and paste. That said, I appreciate your input.
When we lived in Hawaii, my husband bought a very expensive Apple computer in '83 that looked way beyond me. I signed up for computer class thru the U of Hawaii. I thought if we had a machine that was that expensive, I better know how to use it too. The class happened to be programming. I wound up with an "A ," but only because I confessed to my instructor at the end that my husband was helping me with my homework program (selling carpet with several grades of pads) because I had become "lost" and was struggling. He asked if I planned to have husband take the final. I told him no, that I would take the final. And he asked me if I was going to enjoy my computer, and I said yes. That's all he wanted to know. I was the last to leave the class for the final test, but I finished that &%%$^* test and felt that I did okay. I'll never know if it was a legitimate A, or if he realized I was way out of my league and did the best I could. That said, if you ever need new carpet and want to know the difference in quality of pads...I'm your gal!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #8260568

Bubbles... what version of WORD are you using? and i DO know what you mean about the alignment around images.
I can probably help ya thru that.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2010
7:10 PM

Post #8260709

Word 2007, I think. I've surrendered to DH because while all this is going on... I've been asked to give a PP presentation on Thursday for another local garden club. I've known since Oct., but am just now getting serious. DH has sorta mastered the wrap part today.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #8260803

yes... the wrap can give ya fits.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #8266555

Howdy, Folks...

Butting in for just a second, please...

TCS, you asked bigbubbles which version of Word she was using. How do you find out which version you have? I clicked on Properties but it doesn't show which version I have. The reason I ask is because I've had a heck of a time trying to get my Word program to do 3-column newsletters/pages and gave up. I have Win2K, does that mean I have Word 2000?

Thanks!
Shoe

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #8266611

Shoe -- usually when the program opens, it says what it is... the one on this PC is '07

for columns... this is what i have to do... and i usually format AFTER i've typed it all, but not always.

after the page is typed, i 'select all' Ctrl+A .. then go up into Page Layout, and select COLUMNS, then choose the "3" option.

also, another nifty way to do columns, as in a Newsletter... insert a table with 1 row but 3 columns

back to your version... do you only have word or do you have the "office"?

you can go into START | Programs | then look for OFFICE and it should say which version you have.
or if there is a "HELP" up along the top tool bar... that too should show you the version.

Terese
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #8266635

Okay,got it, thanks. When Word opens it quickly shows Microsoft 2000 (9.0) I suppose that is an ancient program nowadays, eh?

Also under Start/Programs it shows Microsoft Word as well as Microsoft Office Business Tools, Microsoft Tools, Microsoft Reader...sheesh, guess I have it all, eh? When I grow up I hope to one day get more updated software; I hear Win2K will one day not work with certain things, even certain browsers.

And thanks for the tips on formatting...I had no idea I could write what I wanted then format it to 3 columns like that. I'll give it a try when I next come back in to thaw out. (Just started snowing here! I love it!)

As far as "inserting a table with 3 columns", do you do that before writing your text, or can it be done afterwards also?

Thanks for your help!
Sorry to get off topic in your thread, big bubbles. It kind of seemed to go hand in hand though so thought it would fit in.

Best to All!
Shoe
(Howdy, Eggs! Always good to see ya!)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #8266644

>>When I grow up I hope to one day get more updated software;

if it aint broke, why change it.

I purchased the 07 because i wanted Power Point, smokin' deal thru the kids school.
I have Started 2010 installed on my laptop i got this summer.

as for the table... has to be inserted BEFORE you start typing... but then once it's there, just typ into the "box"
Once you do that, even as a "test" you will see what i mean.

and yes, you can do any type of formatting after eveytthing is in the DOC... i do that all the time, sometimes, depending on how it looks, i'll switch back and forth between 2 and 3 cols, to see which looks better.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2010
12:58 PM

Post #8266670

I hear ya on the "if it ain't broke" part. I like Win2K very much and am comfortable with it. Of course, I've never been on any other operating system except Windows 98 so really can't compare it to something else.
I just hope Win2K can keep up with newer software and recently found out it won't run Adobe Air so was disappointed with that. I reckon it'll happen more and more as time goes on, eh?

Thanks again for the tips on Word formatting. In the past couple of days I've looked at creating a website and wondered if I would be able to easily add my articles/writings via Word. (Will save the link you gave, Eggs, regarding HTML, too!)

Okay, gotta head back out into the snow, gather some eggs, check out the footprints, etc!

Stay warm!
Shoe

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #8266737

Shoe,

if you are going to consider a simple web page, do take Egg's advice [and i'm sure you would] and learn some basic html... it will save you a lot of headaches.

Once you have a basic template for pages, you can pretty much 'drop' your articles in them.

and snow... we hardly have any up here... I'd rather have the snow than the cold.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #8266852

Terese, I just did a quick sample Word doc, then saved it as text only. (I wonder does that mean, "text only" that pics can't be inserted, since they're not text?)

But while clicking to save as text, the drop down menu also gave the choice of save as "Web page*.html" (w/out quotes) and "text only with line breaks *.txt"

Do either or both of those choices still let you be able to drop them into a webpage?

Shoe (apologizing for his ignorance!)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #8267004

I"m thinking 'text only' is basically non-formatted
like if you created it in notepad.

but then, yes you could just drop it in the 'table with 3 columns'

as for the saving as html... one thing microsoft programs do is add a lot of un-necessary text/code

and a "line break" is basically like hitting the enter key...

i'd think i you didn't it could be one long -- straight line of text. that is my guess. i've never noticed or used the save as Web Page or anything with line breaks... but that is what line break does... like hitting enter as you type, to 'break' it to the next line.

in html a line break - the code used is br with the greater-than and less than symbols around it.

< br > no spaces.

But -- play around with WORD and see what you can do with it.
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 19, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #8268366

I still use W2K also, but isn't that OS unsupported now?

Adobe 9 is the most recent version that W2K will support.

Soon I will find out if a CD made with PP 2000 will work in the newer PP projectors. Our Rock Garden Society bought one this year. I am not very hopeful...

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #8269988

Leftwood, yep, I believe Win2K is unsupported now. I still like it though! I'd like to upgrade but I understand that buying a newer OS is pretty expensive, or at least for me it would be.

I have a Power Point viewer on this ancient puter but can't make/create Power Point files with it. My DD uses her Apple Mac (a much more recent machine) for doing her PP homework assignments. I'm jealous! :>)

Terese, I played around with Word, writing text then changing columns, etc. Pretty fun stuff. Thanks!

Shoe

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #8270029

Shoe... glad to hear.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #8270873

Just an update... We downloaded Page Plus (free version) and it's really easy to use. Newsletter's done, photos have been added, easily converted to PDF, all is well. I'm still following all the good advice, tho.

Now, if someone can help me figure out how to use my new cell phone...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #8271011

I may look into that, Page Plus ... while I do use WORD for mine, sometimes it really fights back when i'm trying to get the formatting just right.

cell phones?? just gimme something to dial. no camera, no voice recorder, no internet... just a plain jane phone.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #8271092

When I googled page plus all i got was info about prepaid cellphones?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #8271127

found it's ONE word...

http://download.cnet.com/Serif-PagePlus-SE/3000-6675_4-10409484.html

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8292679

bigbubbles wrote:Just an update... We downloaded Page Plus (free version) and it's really easy to use. Newsletter's done, photos have been added, easily converted to PDF, all is well.

Bubbles -- I just downloaded PagePlus and did not locate the save as PDF, there were only 3 options for a save as.

I have a newsletter due to go out end of Jan, so i figured i'd play around with it to see if it was worth while.

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8292724

I'm gonna let my Yankee DH (Freeport, IL) answer this, as he laughed when I tried to have him explain what HE DID to make me look like I knew what I was doing!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8293647

You are right. The free download does not include the option to save as a PDF. The paid version does. I down loaded another free program ... Primo PDF by Nitro PDF Software... that saves any file to a PDF document. This solved the PDF problem and worked very well. In effect, you load this software and then "print" the document to a PDF file. The software gives you a virtual printer to select from in the print options, and prints or "creates" a PDF version of your file. Hope this helps.

DH

http://www.nitroreader.com/default.aspx?utm_source=PrimoApp&utm_medium=Banner&utm_campaign=PrimoAd

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8293678

thanks -- I'll look into that one.

aside the few hassles i have with 'alignment' in WORD, it has done pretty well in creating newsletters for me.

always looking for good [hopefully free] software to make projects easier.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8293704

I'd stick with what is working for you. Our version of Word is old and doesn't have the save as PDF option. Started out looking for PDF formatting software and found the PagePlus but it didn't solve the "save as PDF" issue we had. But, we found it to be a pretty good free software program.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8293716

>>doesn't have the save as PDF option.

for WORD 2003 [i think] you can download it... i think it came with 2007, and 2010 for sure. - I have all 3 versions.
DH's laptop has `03, and I know I downloaded the save as option. probably got it off of microsoft's site.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8293807

We do have 2003. Will give it a try

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America