Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Hypertufa and Concrete: Tutorial using Silicone caulk for mold

Communities > Forums > Hypertufa and Concrete
bookmark
Forum: Hypertufa and ConcreteReplies: 4, Views: 414
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
trashywoman
Taylorville, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #8258245

OK so I have not gotten any replies so does that mean that the tutorial was not shown here? Maybe it was on another website that I read like gardenweb. I have a heated garage and wanted to cover my mortar mix sandcasted elephant leaf with silicone so I could make more like it during the winter since I have no more elephant ear leaves now. Does anyone know what I have to seal the existing one with before using the silicone over it? Any help would be appreciated.

While searching and reading ALL the information you talented people offer I saw a tutorial where one of you did a HUGH clay sculpture on their dining room table and then showed with pictures and text step by step of how you covered it with silicone caulk to make a mold to be used for concrete or hypertufa. I really thought I had saved the location but of course when you need it you can't find it. Have searched the forum for silicone caulk for molding and don't come up with it. Can you guys direct me to the right link.

here is a photo of my 1st sphere made with mortar mix.

Thanks for all you information.
Regina

This message was edited Dec 30, 2010 1:13 PM

Thumbnail by trashywoman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

January 6, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8295320

LOVE your sphere! I've only heard of making molds with latex.
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2011
3:57 AM

Post #8316621

Sorry it took me so long to see your question, I haven't been on DG much lately. I'm not sure if this is the information you originally found but when I was looking for the same information someone sent me to GW: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hypertufa/msg0502272923134.html Dena actually posted some photos of the process here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/548571846WsZkOR

I think there's another thread in the "Garden Accroutements" Forum http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/accout/ where "Marly" posted instructions or photos but I can't find it right now. If you can't find enough information from these links I'll be watching your thread and can dig deeper to see if I can find the link with Marly's instructions. Good luck!
trashywoman
Taylorville, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8331765

rcn48, Thanks for posting those links. I still haven't found the original one I remembered. Someone had made a big stonehead on their dining table out of clay, it was about 3 feet tall. She then described how she coated it with the silicone caulk that she squirted into a dishpan of water with liquid soap? and her technique for applying it to the clay form. She had several postings and pictures on each posting as she did it. I think it took awhile coz it was so large.
I still haven't done my concrete leaf...I am worried the silicone won't come off. Maybe I will just do it...maybe tonight. Anyway, I have a couple of photos that I uploaded to photobucket of some of my creations so far. I had big intentions by have gotten sick and found it takes alot of energy to work that cement or tufa with your arms. Wears me out now. Was looking at a small cement mixer...I could do more that way. My garage is heated, just have to move the car out and go to work if I had the energy.
Back to the photos. Here is the link. I hope it works.
Regina

The first photos are of our house, the other albums are down and off to the side on the right.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa427/trashywoman/
Bareroots
Redding, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2011
12:15 AM

Post #8879715

Hi Regina,
The title of your post caught my eye, as I too would like to know how to make a mold for making cement leaves.

I was just stumbling around other post and I think I found what you were talking about: is this the forum? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/995586/ if you look at aartwmich post on June 14, 2009 and the couple that follow that.

I can't wait to try it.
Dee

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden Buttoneer 16 May 22, 2007 6:02 AM
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America