-
AuthorContent
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #8258316

I was hoping someone could tell me if B. soli-mutata is listed in the plantfiles. Therre are 19 pages and I not even sure I'm spelling it right. I thought I remembered posting a pic. Can't remember. Thanks.

Thumbnail by killdawabbit
Click the image for an enlarged view.

begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2010
10:56 PM

Post #8259024

Here's the entry http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/113473/
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2010
1:07 PM

Post #8260059

Thanks, BC. Kinda weird it didn't come up. I did spell it right.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #8260062

OOPS. I bet I put 'soli-mutata' in the cultivar box. :-p
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8317063

Does anyone know why my soli-mutata has brown spots on its leaves? Even the new leaves have spots--dead tissue. I don't have it in a terrarium. Could that be the reason?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8318015

Spots on leaves sounds like a fungal issue. Spray the plant so it doesn't spread if that is the issue. Remove the worst leaves and propagate some if you are so inclined. Use some kind of humidity cover if the outer edges are browning. Winter time with lower humidity and furnaces cutting on can wreak havoc but soli-mutata is pretty tough and will fill in quick when it is happy once again.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8319177

That is beautiful, Butch. Is it yours? I will try an anti-fungal. I'm thinking I have enough humidity. Propane heat and no air-conditioning. The outer edges seem OK.
Do you think Captan would help? I hope so. I just sprayed it. Or is there something better? I've seen people mention fungicides. Which one do you think is best?
Thanks.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8319232

Yes, that is mine a couple of years ago. I didn't take care of it like I should've so lost a bit of it. It is coming back nicely though.

No idea what is the best fungicide. Just use what you have. Some say sulfur or copper is cheap and works effectively. I've used Neem in the past which is okay. Milstop might help too but it is mainly for mildew but that is all I use right now. If any leaf gets to be very unsightly I trim the bad spot out or remove the entire leaf. The plant will eventually drop the leaf anyway and replace it with a new flush when it is ready.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America