Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
paulasims
Walton, KS

December 14, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #8259334

A book I recently read mention Winter melon as a good variety for storage. An internet search leads me to believe it's also called Christmas melon or Santa Claus melon. Does anyone have experience growing this in Harvey County KS? If so, where did you purchase your seeds (it's become quite a chore to find a seed source)? Or is there another variety that does better in my part of the state? My goal is to find a melon that stores well in a root cellar, but still has good flavor. I'm really not concerned about the variety. Thanks!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2010
10:25 AM

Post #8259805

Winter melon is usually an alternate name for the Wax gourd http://www.evergreenseeds.com/waxgourwinme.html (Benincasa hispida). They do store well and are used for soups etc. It is not a melon in the sense "melon" is used in North America.
Christmas melons are usually the football shaped Spanish melon group (Cucumis melo var inodorus) They can be any variety from Piel d Sapo (Toadskin) to St. Nick. Lambkin is the variety most encountered when searching under Christmas melon. All members of this group have a long shelf life. http://www.hometownseeds.com/garden-vegetable-seeds-melon-seeds-c-4_170/lambkin-hybrid-christmas-melon-seeds-p-160
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2010
11:42 AM

Post #8259942

paulasims and Farmerdill, could this be what you are referring to? http://www.underwoodgardens.com/Casaba-Golden-Beauty-Melon-Cucumis-melo/productinfo/V1273/

I was going through the Terroir Seeds website the other day and came accross that one. Such a pretty photo and being able to store it for a while sounded interresting. I don't think I can grow it here, though. Our summers are so humid and this sounds like it need hot and dry to do well.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #8259971

That is one of the many varieties. If you can grow open pollinated honey dews, there is a chance that you could grow this on. They do have a very long season. I can grow the hybrid Canari melons, but not the old OP. Even so they just do not develop much flavor here. Most of the time the reference is to the Piel de Sapo derivatives. http://www.victoryseeds.com/melon_piel-de-sapo.html. Casaba's are not as noted for flavor as others in this group
Melaro, hybrid canari with long shelf life but not as long as the Piel de Sapo derivatives

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

paulasims
Walton, KS

December 21, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #8270435

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll take a look at all the links. Merry Christmas!!
desert_witch
Lucerne Valley, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9056731

Thanks for this info! I am so glad I made DG my first stop in searching for this melon!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2012
9:59 PM

Post #9057030

Wow, weird I was just looking through my melon seeds and I have toad skin just set it aside to plant in the lower garden.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 22 May 19, 2014 7:30 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America