Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Market Growers: Need Advice and Ideas

Communities > Forums > Market Growers
bookmark
Forum: Market GrowersReplies: 30, Views: 373
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mevnmart
Spiro, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #8259370

I've been cruising the site and more importantly picking the brains of the seasoned farmers at my market. I did very poorly this past season. I was lucky to net $100 each Saturday. I've learned a lot about what I'm going to do differently this coming year. What I'd like to know is what value-added items do you sell? Do you find that people prefer produce-only vendors, or is it possible to cross-merchandise handmade goods. Should they be displayed on separate tables?

For example - I knit, crochet, sketch, do photography, etc. I sold two hats this fall, but otherwise, not much on that end. One vendor had her basil (pretty good sized bunch) in a pint mason jar and she sold it for $8 or something like that. I was getting $1-$2 for a smaller bunch, but not 1/8th smaller. I may follow her lead. Do you use recipes to entice people to buy unusual produce?

We're looking at doing potted houseplants (we've been doing child plants from mother plants - pothos, wandering Jew, etc.) I'd like to do hanging tomatoes, potted herb gardens, perhaps hanging outdoor plants. One gentleman I met did lettuce hanging baskets for $7 each (at a different market). I can't sell processed food (though that doesn't stop some folks) because I don't have access to a certified kitchen. Otherwise I'd be baking like a mad-woman.

I just need some ideas. I've been out of "real" work for almost 2 years, and my part time job isn't enough to support my family (DH is disabled but not yet receiving SSDI). I need this upcoming season to be 1000% better than last year. I'm downscaling the garden so it's more manageable (we had 214 half-dead tomato plants - this year I'm doing 60 so I can keep them healthy - it's pretty much just me and a little help from my MIL).

Anyway, I'll continue to read through the market forum here, but any advice would be very much appreciated!

This thread has 30 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Market Growers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sat., June 21 Markets CountryGardens 40 Oct 5, 2010 5:25 AM
Odor-free Bone Meal? Will wildlife still uproot plants? PlanterRik 8 Jun 24, 2009 2:31 PM
Question on growing food for sale (organic) hczone6 28 Oct 1, 2007 7:52 PM
water melons,cantaloupes CricketsGarden 8 Sep 1, 2007 8:39 PM
Backyard nursery TXSWETIE 183 Jul 2, 2007 9:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America