Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Handyman: replacing window pane in door

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 3, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #8259885

Our back door has 12 diamond patterned glass panes on the top 1/2 of door. A modified dutch door style in one piece. One of them is broken. My dh says we need to take the door to the glass place for replacing as there is no putty. This piece of glass is maybe 7 in. @ the widest/longest. Not double glass. what you say?

This message was edited Dec 14, 2010 11:08 AM
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 17, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #8264755

Are these panes separate - true "divided lights"? Are the panes flat or beveled?

If they are separate panes and installed with wood dividers, there should be a way to disassemble the whole window, then separate the mullions around the broken piece and replace just that one.

This is not impossible for a handy-person, but might be a whole lot quicker (and maybe cheaper) if done by a professional. Take a picture then contact some local glass shops and ask when showing them the picture. Ask price and turnaround time.

When you find one you loke, take the door to them. Hopefully they can fix while you wait.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2010
7:58 AM

Post #8264839

thank you Bubba. I looked @ both inside and outside and I did not see seams where seperate pieces of wood are joined. I will add this to my DH's TO DO list. This is a management - labor relationship!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 17, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #8265435

Some of what look like divided light doors are really just once piece of glass with a wood lattice on both sides to make it look like separate panes.

Good luck with your "working arrangement".

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America