Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Christmas Tree: Eastern red cedar: Beautiful! A story within a story!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Christmas Tree: Eastern red cedar
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Christmas Tree: Eastern red cedarReplies: 7, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 17, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #8264725

Thanks again for such a beautiful Christmas story, Sharran! All of your stories are layered against a theme that our childhood environment shapes us throughout our lives. For you, the Kentucky Mountains and for me it was the Northern Woods. I wonder how people will ever be right when they grow up on concrete without trees to learn about.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #8264925

I was thinking recently that most children who are now the age I was when I was roaming my mountains don't know very much about nature. They are not going to have the perspectives on life that I learned from being outside in those mountains. They might not have attitudes that will gain for them an understanding of people, animals, trees, gardens. And isn't that so sad?

We were fortunate, Gloria, to grow up when we did.

Thank you again, my dear friend.
Merry Christmas to you.
oldkate
Hillsboro, OH

December 17, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #8265558

A timely Christmas story, Sharon - thanks! Carl never had a chance, did he?
I finished decorating our cedar tree this afternoon - at least we had the sense to cut it before the 3+" snowfall yesterday! You were discussing bubble lights elsewhere - I remember them well, but they're hard to come by. I have about 10 milk glass figural bulbs from the 20's, some of which belonged to a grandmother. I tie them on the tree with red yarn; would be fun to see them lit, but I imagine they'd explode and/or break after all these years. Hope the ice missed you yesterday; it was "just" snow here.
Thanks for all the stories this year - and a Happy Christmas to you!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #8265654

Hello Kate,
I think the blue bubble lights were my favorites. Maybe green too. I've seen those lights made now that sort of bubble, but they aren't in my favorite colors, only reds and yellows, maybe orange.
I'll bet your glass bulbs are beautiful, Kate, even without being lit.

No snow yesterday, no sleet, no hail, no rain, nothing. No sunshine either. Just nothing. Same today, though we did have a bit of sunlight.

But the cats and I are snug as bugs tonight sitting here in the glow of the multi color lights on my huge ficus tree on one side, and the Christmas tree with it's white lights on the other.

The nicest thing about my stories is the friends they brought to me.
Merry Christmas.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

December 17, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #8265818

A lovely story & I wish all children thought so much about their siblings.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2010
11:16 PM

Post #8265966

Thanks Iris,
I still feel the same about my brother. He is one of the best men I've ever known.
Merry Christmas!!
Dollykat
Lucasville, OH

December 19, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #8268090

Great story, Sharon, maybe my favorite. I've seen bubble lights for sale somewhere. I might have seen them in the Vermont Country Store catalog. I know they're hard to find, but they still exist, I am sure.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2010
4:06 PM

Post #8268211

Thanks, Dolly. There's another story around here somewhere, about a Christmas gift from Aunt Bett. It and this one are my favorites too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Christmas Tree: Eastern red cedar Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
a beautiful tree debi_k 13 Dec 24, 2008 3:19 AM
Nice phicks 1 Dec 16, 2008 6:25 PM
What a great article! daylilydaddy 4 Dec 19, 2008 5:29 AM
Very Moving! BennysPlace 5 Dec 17, 2008 1:55 AM
AHHHMy Counrty of birth.... Gitagal 1 Dec 17, 2008 5:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America