Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: Pyracantha and holly seed germination

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 2, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
deepseas72
Houma, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #8267225

Are the seeds within Pyracantha and Holly berries viable for sowing? If so, how do you go about it? It seems that if it were an easy process, you would see seedlings beneath the parent trees, since they produce so many thousands of berries, yet that has never been the case for me. I read that the berry contains agents that inhibit germination...I am guessing that this is probably so that the multitude of seeds aren't competing with the parent tree, but rather being ingested by birds and then dispersed elsewhere? I know that with our local Magnolia grandiflora you have to soak the seed berries for a few days and then rub the casing off, at which point the seed itself is only viable for a few weeks.

Thumbnail by deepseas72
Click the image for an enlarged view.

obliqua
Pittsburgh, PA

December 29, 2010
4:10 PM

Post #8282585

The best way I have found to grow more pyracantha is by taking a growing stem and lay it on the soil with an earth staple. I cut into the stem at the point where it is touching the soil. I put more soil on the stem and check it monthly,making sure it gets water. It takes a growing season to grow roots, and when it looks pretty sturdy, it can be cut from the mother plant and planted. This plant should be given special attention to assure that it will survive.

I found this online:
Pyracantha, firethorn, fire thorn

Stratify seed 6 weeks, sow just covered as seeds need light to germinate. Germinate in cooler temperatures. Grow also from semi-hard cuttings, or from air layering started early in growing season. Tolerant of clay soil; prefers good drainage and a sunny spot. May tolerate heavier winds. Used as bonsai, and can be grown indoors. Zone 5-8

deepseas72
Houma, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #8282819

You are so helpful! Thanks AGAIN : )

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America