Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

How was your day? #254

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Welcome, welcome, come on in a chat. We are a wordy group who always welcome strangers to join us.

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1145064/#top

Thumbnail by wren107
Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

thanks Sandy you are taking good care of us!

Dianne it is about time you got some snow! Has it stopped yet. We haven't gotten any for a week! DH got the bull dozer going as the truck couldn't push it all back. Now we are ready for the next one! I am slowly getting things ready for Xmas day as I will be having company! My niece came out friday and did some cleaning and helped with some decorating. She wasn't in the mood but felt better when she left.

Bonnie your tree is beautiful! Glad to hear you are taking it easy and the family is coming to join you. I love the picture Debbie posted of the boys.

Hi Kelly! My you never seem to stop! Do you? But it is the season and I know you have to do what you can when you can! Some day all my carpet is coming out!

Adina did Nicholas sleep all night? Maybe you can break him of that habit! Are you all ready for Xmas?

Melva you have a variety of choices to use on DH.. Let us know which one worked! How is Corky?

My Xmas menu is going to be Baked chicken and BBQ'd ribs for sure.
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. stuffing corn fruit salad. Don't know the dessert yet as The DIL is suppose to make that. I might also make deviled eggs. Small meat and cheese plate. We will see what I have energy for.

Better get going as there is plenty to do today. Making French Toast for breakfast is the first thing.

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the new thread. Ended up posting on the old thread.

Morning!

Tammy - Sounds like he used your weight loss as a segway to his. The fiber addiction runs in my family also. Tell the DH happy birthday! Nice blue booby. Found this funny video on the mating dance of the blue footed booby. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYmzdvMoUUA

bonnie - Nice tree. Good job on training the kittens about the tree. Glad you are feeling better and have a solution for DM being home over the holidays.

Adina - Also hope that the baby sitting went well and he sleeps through the night.

Melva - There should be a progression in the amount of pain reducing over time. If that is not happening then you should go back in (or call) and talk with the Dr. If the pain is not decreasing then you might have a number of things going on including a staff infection or the Dr missed something during surgery. If the pain is decreasing at a normal pace then the DH is just being thoughtless

Kelly - Same here. Gardening and cooking. Although I was at a dance last night and one of the women was knitting a really nice merino wool sweater in a burgandy and grey pattern.

BonnieB - All that cooking sounds nice. Send pictures of the cookies. That way we can all enjoy without the calories attached.

Went out to the restore yesterday and came home with three bricks for any future chimney repairs. Also saw a pair of doors that we might use to replace some in the kitchen but we're not willing to get them as we didn't have the door demensions with us. The DH and I also went bumming around the area to a number of places including one of my favorite burgs called Brookside. Had lunch out at a place we have been taking about for a while.

Here are some of the stores we went to/like there.

Reading Reptile which comes complete with a resident cat, literary motifs on the walls and ceilings, books, an old dimestore horse ride, and a cupcake shop. http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS410US410&q=read...

Stuff which is a fun gallery that artists/craftsmans sell at. Has a resident Bernice Mountain dog. My favortie items are the old lawn chairs with dogs painted on them, the yard art, and sculptures. http://www.pursuegoodstuff.com/

Brookside Toy and Science Shop which sell all kinds of toys and gagets for kids ( including the adult kind). http://www.brooksidetoyandscience.com/

The New Dime Store which is a trendy version of the old woolworth's store. Yesterday they had an old fashion santa in the store for the kids.

Windows World which is an import shop. http://www.worldswindowkc.com/wwstore/storetour.html?id=sjeN...

Foo's Frozen Custard is also there.

Have a great day!

SusanKC

Lyndonville, NY

Morning,

I am dragging. Stayed up late reading and was rudely awoken by a large dog barking....and two cats playing Nascar kitty across the bed.

DH is at work, and I have a list to accommplish today. Not that I will...but I wrote it out. Its the best of intentions. haha

Vicki, no new snow here. It must all be at Diannes. We had a couple flurries yesterday but didn't amount to much. You wait...it will be a HUGE storm on Thursday and Friday when I have to go shopping finally!

I am still here, in my PJs which is REALLY odd for me, never come downstairs in them....but Izzy had to go out immediately, and she is acting funky. She got into something for sure. She had some pumpkin with her breakfast!! Now I am lazy ..lay down on the couch mode...but as I said, I have a list and gotta move!

I will be back to post more individually later...after I can see.
Debbie

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Sandy, thanks for the new thread.

SusanKC, that is a cute video. It sounds like you had a good time shopping at some interesting places.

Debbie, I am dragging too. Great picture of Bonnie's Boys.

Bonnie, love the tree! I'm glad you are feeling better. Hope things work out for DM's rehab.

Melva, I forgot - the old cast iron skillet right across the head. hehe

Diane your menu sounds yummy.

Vicki, your menu sounds yummy too. Glad it isn't still snowing.

I need to make some soup today and get some gifts wrapped. I feel terribly behind.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Good Morning!

Thanks for the new thread Sandy. How is that left arm & hand today?

Kelly - my goodness that's a lot of floor to clean. I'm sure you'll have the place in tip top shape in no time.

Vicki - sounds like a really good menu. I'm thinking of roasting a big chicken between the holidays.

Bonnie - the tree looks gorgeous. Now you said the trip to west coast was 12/19. That's today. Was that a typo & you are really going 12/29 perhaps?

SusanKC - interesting stores. And I love the video - I sent it to Gary. I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it too. Aren't those feet really blue?

Debbie - congratulations on accomplishing such terrific organization. To Do lists need to have some really easy items on 'em you can scratch off as complete. Like breakfast, getting dressed or whatever. Great for the sense of accomplishment for days when that's all that gets accomplished. :-)

I haven't been up since I plopped onto the couch around 8am. (I did feed the cats & let the chickens out. Plus got dressed. Three items marked as DONE for the day.) I read the paper and caught up on the news on line. I guess its time to get moving. We may see a movie. I signed up with Groupon-type website and got a $25 gift card at Fandango for only $10. So I see movies in our future.

Take care & have fun everyone!
Tam

Tam as long as I remember to more it around some it is fine.

I have been organizing my slides that I need to copy, I have a lot of rose pictures and orchids but mostly pictures taken on trips. Be glad when the new copier gets here and I can start coping the slides.

Waving at everyone

Sandy and Andre

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Corky is fine....go to the doc, Tuesday and I plan to have him write a note to DH re my pain...
Susan, answered you on the old thread.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2010 3:50 PM

Good.

Sandy

Sandy - glad to hear the hand is better.

Elsie - Yes we had fun and only bought lunch and a couple of bricks. Maybe next time. We did get a couple of ideas for projects. DH did see a pen he wanted. It's made out of recycled circuit boards. Looks like this http://gadgetsin.com/recycled-circuit-board-pen.htm

Tammy - Love the blue feet and the whole walk/mannerisms.

Melva - Sometimes the two behaviors tend to go together.

Back from shopping and Home Depot. The carpet transition piece in the family room is broke and has developed into a trip hazard. It's on DH's list of things to replace before the in-laws get her later this week. If you hear blue words from this direction it may be the two us trying to get it cut and put in.

DH is making another batch of chicken tortia soup. Second try. He found a web site that has recepies that are supposed to be similar to what is served specific resturants. Last time the soup was good except for the chunks of hot peppers. He is going to change that this time and also thicken it with a corn flour.

SusanKC

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the new thread;o)

Got the laundry mostly done. Kiddos are off for 2 weeks so school clothes can wait to be washed. Floors are mopped - whew! What a job that is. My 17 y o son was responsible for doing the floors every week but he did such a horrible job. I spent extra time moving stuff and really cleaning. I don't think he ever moved a thing to clean under it.

♥ the video SusanKC;o)

Off to see what else I can accomplish for the day...

good night everyone

sandy and Andre

Night!

Kelly - Proably soon. We're thinking about replacing all the carpet in the house with a combination of tile and wood. I'm guessing that it will show the cat and dog hair more.

The DH and I just finished taking apart and putting back together both access panels on the fridge. Seems the drain on the freezer coil plugged up with ice. There is a discussion between DH and I as to if a piece of metal that we found in the drain was there before we opened it up or not. Any how fixing the fridge has been our entertainment for the night.

Sweet dreams everyone!

SusanKC

New Smyrna Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, Tammy it is 12/29 - 1/2/11.

Vicki, I missed seeing the picture Debbie posted of The Boys at the beach. Had to go back and find it. Thanks.

It is 8:40 PM where I live and I cannot keep my eyes opened. Dare I go to bed??? I wonder if the antibiotic is causing this effect?

I give up. Head nodding.....................

Goodnight.

Bonnie

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Gosh, I did know the new thread was here, but evidently didn't respond there, so just went and posted on the old one.

Susan, we are also thinking of replacing the carpet with wood. I have the wood in the kitchen/dining area, and love it. It is an Oak, and is just the right color, not too light, not too dark. Since Mr. B is mostly white, it doesn't show the hair that he loses. I only find that with the dust mop or the vacuum. I am worried about the difference in temperatures. Being used to carpet, I am wondering if it will be a big noticable difference in the warmth of the floors. I continually have cold feet, and always have on socks or house shoes.

Around here the words man/kitchen/cooking are not used in the same sentence. All mine knows is "come and get it".

Verona, ON

Good Morning everyone!
Looks like a stormy day to look forward too.
I too have either hardwood or tile throughout my house. I love it!! It's easy to keep clean - when I had wall to wall carpet throughout the house I had 3 Samoyeds. What a fool I was, plus Rogue was allergic to fleas so I had to vaccuum several times a day.
BBL a friend is here, he is home from Jakarta where he is teaching for 2 years.
Dianne

This message was edited Dec 20, 2010 10:46 AM

Good morning.

Cold here.

I am getting ready for a real trip, so can some one take over the Christmas trip.

Off to pack

Sandy and Andre

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Just got a phone call from work. My boss/friends house burned down last night. One of the dogs woke up the GS and he started yelling. Her husband is stabilized in a local hospital. Her and her GS were air lifted out to MPLS. The house is a total loss. They had to tear the walls out to get to the fire. That is all I know at this time.

Verona, ON

Oh Vicki I am sooo sorry to hear this news. When you live in a rural area like we do when there is a fire it is 'there for the Grace of God go I'.Sending positive thoughts to you and your friend's family.
Oh my this means your work week is going to be doubly busy - just take it 1 minute at a time, you can do it I know you can.
Dianne

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Dianne thank you. I am sitting here with tears running down my face. Need to get it out of my system now so I can be a rock at work! Yes we can do it. The other girl and I have already talked about it and we know what we can do. She will keep me updated until I get to work.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Vicki, that is such a shame. I agree with Dianne about living in a rural area. I have heard the fire engine sirens 3 times this weekend and it sends a shiver up my spine. I sure hope the family is okay.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Vicki! That poor family.
Tam

So sorry

sandy

Vicki - Sorry to hear about your friends. I'm glad that they got out and that the dog woke them up. I hope that they get better soon and that the injuries are not too bad. One of our neighbors (eight kids, and one grandchild living with them) lost their house and everything in it to a fire. The DH and I had duplicates of a lot of things when we got married. We put together a bunch of stuff that we had and let them come over and pick out what they wanted. The electric fry pan and chair that her husband took were what started her crying. She said she at least had something to cook dinner with.

BonnieB - There are heating cables that can be install between the subfloor and wood floor/tile. I don't know much about them so if you are interested in them then you might spend some time researching about those type of systems on-line.

Dianne - I was thinking that they would be easier to clean. Everyone in our house is allergic to dust mites so it would be easier on all of us to have less carpet.

Anyone installed their own floors?

SusanKC

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, if your body is fighting an infection it can make you tired. Hope you are feeling better today.

Verona, ON

Invest in a crowbar if you decide to DIY Susan.It's hard work but made easier when you have a nailing gun. Be prepared to be on your knees for almost all of the job.
When do you leave Sandy? Andre going to Doggie Daycare?
Axel destroyed anything so far this morning? Streak must have eaten a piece of tinsel in the night and then decided to return it. Yuck!Both cats still want to drink out of the tree holder which I think is way weird.
Elsie did you say you were taking today off? Sure hope so!
Kelly how old are your boys? You are lucky a 17 year old would even consider doing the floors. I think the way males clean a floor is a tad different than how we would do it. DH will vaccuum and wash floors but not the way I would do it. Not complaining though at least he is helping.
Tam did you get your workout in this morning?
Debbie what's up in Debbieland today? Getting new snow?
Dianne

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Dianne they say 3-5 inches for us. Today into tomorrow.

Lyndonville, NY

Good morning,

Vicki, I am so very sorry about your friend. We experienced this last Sunday with our neighbor. We did find out he was already gone when the fire took off, he had had a heart attack in his chair while cooking.

I will keep your friend and her family in my thoughts and prayers.

Dianne, no new snow here. Have had a few flurries here and there, but nothing really piling up (yet).

I am trying to finish a few projects in the house and get some cleaning done....but trying to stay afloat. This time of year is just not meant for me, and although I have so much to be thankful for....I sink.
I am in a panic about Thursday, and just don't want to even deal with it.

After all the chaos we dealt with from Sears Portrait the last week....they "sort of" made good with the last set of pictures yesterday...take a look at this face.

Shannon bought a photo session for Britt as a Christmas gift. They had tried to "soak her" for $105! Well, I got ticked, told them all they had put us through this last week...explained it all and they were very apologetic. Shannon ended up getting her pics for $8.00!!

Here is little Kylie...her first Christmas portrait and 7 weeks of age.

Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

One more...

Thumbnail by DebbiesDaisy
Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Debbie that little face would brighten up anyones day!

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Dianne - yep. I did my strength training routine. My right arm is still giving me grief. I stopped the weights on that side for a while and now do my full circuit with great care and with a lighter weight for the bicep curl, since that is the one that causes the most discomfort.

Cute pic's Debbie! what a profit margin - $105 to $8 and they are still probably making a little at $8.

Tam

Lyndonville, NY

Tam, we had Shanes senior pics done, and they screwed up the order. I had to pay extra to have his "acne" removed from the pics. They printed them without the touch ups. So that was 3 trips to Rochester (for photos, pick up first set....and now go back Wednesday to get corrected set) Then, Shannon & Mike went. Was supposed to cost them $25.00....they did their shots Thursday...told them they didn't have time to view...studio was closing, come back Friday to view! That is 2 more trips...so FIVE. And then on Friday...they took Brittany and the baby...and the dang place did the same thing to them. You have to come back Sunday to view! WELL, I blew a fuse....nicely....but they knew it wasn't going to end nicely if they didn't do something to correct this. I wrote it out for them....so she could follow my "hour trips one way" to their studio. And our appts. were at times we could have time to see....but they over booked, which cut their time short. I know, I am babbling and it is confusing. BUT....they gave us the discount as I was going to head management and still might.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Will keep all updates on the prayer thread I started.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Debbie, you should go to the management.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Good morning - Monday, ugh!!

Vicki, I am very sorry to hear about your boss/friend and their home. I'm glad everyone got out though. Will check out your prayer thread after this...

Someone asked about installing floors? DH and my FIL did all the tile in our house a few years back. They are by no means professionals but did an excellent job. A couple spots are off if you know where to look but I'm OK with that;o) It was hard/time-consuming but a big $$$ saver to DIY. Living in the desert (think sand/dirt) things get dusty fast, even in the house wih the kids and pups gragging dirt in. If I had carpet it would be a dust magnet.

Dianne - my boys are 17, 11 and 9... The teen didn't really have a choice - lol. All my boys have chores. The little ones are way better at their chores than the teen. He's a bit lazy. I think that comes with being a teen boy. I never remember being lazy like that but my Mom may beg to differ;o) I had a job by choice when I was 16. These days kids want it all handed to them. DH told Joseph if he wanted to drive and have these clothes and these shoes guess what - you better get a J O B. He is a waiter PT at a restaurant called Souper Salad. He seems to like it and hopefully it will help teach him some responsibility.

Deb, sorry you had all the hassle for the pics, but Kylie is sure a cutie!!

Hi Tam, Sandy, Bonnie, Bonnie B, elsie, melva, sarge and whoever I missed;o)

Kelly - I've heard that about the dust in the desert areas. Did they take a class on how to tile or just figure it out on their own?

Dianne - We have the crowbar but not a nailing gun. I'm not sure we have the stick with it to get through the whole project.

Debbie - Nice price on the photos and good job negotiating for the trouble factor.

Vicki - More snow. Seems like you have had a lot already. Maybe it will pass over an land someplace else.

Have a number of things going on today. In-laws are coming over for Christmas day so we're house cleaning. Carpets need steam cleaning plus we have some general projects that need to get completed. Cats were in for checkups. Sarah has lost about a pound. Blood work came back and it's good. She's headed for extra doses of treats until she puts the weight back on.

SusanKC

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

No classes - they both work in concrete/construction so I guess figured it out by seeing it done;o) It doesn't look that difficult but of course it wasn't me doing it either - lol...

Hi y'all We leave on Wed. Morning. Andre goes to the kennel tomorrow morning.

Sandy and andre

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Back from the ortho, and the cast is off. I am a free woman, of course I got the don't lift anything heavy, baby it a bit, and a follow up visit in 3 weeks.

Vicki, I am so sorry about your boss/friend. Seems this time of year, you just hear of more fires, don't know if people overload circuits with the Christmas lights, or get careless with wood or coal heat. Anyway no time is a good time for that to happen, but seems so much worse at Chrsitmas. Although the up side of that, since people are in a giving mood, maybe they will be showered with many things to start again.

Our weather prediction is snow tonight and tomorrow, plus on Thursday sleet and freezing rain, with more snow on the heels of that. I am so tired of winter, and it isn't even winter yet.

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

Debbie - that is one beautiful baby!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.