Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Computer Talk: Problem recording music CD plus RW problem.

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 15, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #8267619

I have windows XP and also itunes. I copied a pete fountain music cd which I listen to on my portable cd player by first putting it in itunes and then copying it from there.It worked fine the copy sounding great on my portable player. I also have a Jerry Adler music cd which I listen to on my portable player. When I make a cd of it, it comes back digital and wont play on portable player. This was attempted sometime after I had made the copy of Pete Fountain.

Anorther problem: When I copy anything to an RW cd it comes back as "read only" and I cant remove anthing from it Don't remember if I can add more later.

Sparks
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #8267911

Can't help with the first one (I don't use iTunes). As to the "read only" issue, it sounds as though the RW disc was "closed".
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #8267947

Thank you, I have tried 3 RWs, formated them but same thing happens.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #8268095

I only copy tracks from cds I have purchased so I have no knowledge of itunes. There are two questions though--one is why you must use RW discs and the other is are you sure your drive is a RW drive? A lot of the older pc's came with CD-R only drives. Try a CD-R disc and see if you can record to it.
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2010
4:22 PM

Post #8268234

I have used both RW adn ROs, can record on both but RW chkanges to read only. I am not sure about whether my puter is for read only cds or not. Its a thught.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #8268261

Go to 'Device Manager', click on the line indicating cd or dvd/cd drive and write down the exact model listed. You can then google the model number and it will tell you of all the functions. Another way is check your OEM build order although most people do not save them.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #8268358

What software are you using to make the CD? Are you doing this right from iTunes, or using some other (Nero, Roxio, etc) program to do it?

I also question using a CD-RW disc, as opposed to a CD-R. With a re-writable disc, it used to be that you had to "close" the disc when you were finished writing to it, in order for the disc to be able to be read on another device (even another computer). I think newer drives have made that a non-issue, but it may be part of the problem. Make sure any checkbox for "close" or "finalize" the disc is selected, before burning. *shrug*
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #8268791

Thank you both, you have given me some leads. I do copy directly from itunes. With the RWs I use Nero and only copy documents and such.
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #8268867

Guess I am going to have to show my ignorance, I am 87 and have forgoten so much. Only been using a computer for 15 years, LOL I couldn't find the divice manager and don't remember what OEM stands for. I did know that once.

Sparks
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #8268928

Device manager is in the control panel section in XP and Vista. OEM is "original equipment manufacturer" and is used with hardware and software furnished with the original computer build. The main difference between OEM and secondary source is the documentation. For instance, I purched a new video card from Dell which was OEM and it came without a good instruction set. The same card purchased from a retailer would be in a different box and would have had an operating manual with it. Sometimes, the Operating System disk will be slightly different in an OEM version rather than a retail version. In this case, the question would be is the cd drive the original one with the pc or is it a retail replacement? A couple of years are a lifetime in the pc world.
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #8269589

I had looked onece and now have looked very carefully again but I have no device manager in my control panel section. I do have windows XP.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #8269833

I first thought I had a memory crash--I am 70, but these are links to explain the DM issue.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/accessdmcpnxp.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283658

edited to correct link syntax

This message was edited Dec 20, 2010 9:22 PM
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #8269846

Isn't device manager in "system" in control panel in XP? It has been ages, but I think that's it.
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #8270409

I don't know if I am learning or just getting more confused. Did find the Device Manger.This i one thing i picked from itL: DVD/CD-ROM drives
Optiarc DVD+RW AD-72007
Have no idea what it means. Need more instructions. At least it is fun trying.
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #8270708

Link to specifications for the 7200 series drive. Could not find a 72007 but there are two suffixes to the 7200. A=parallel ATA; S=serial ATA. Appears to be a modern cd/dvd drive so there should be no equipment reason for problems with a CD-RW disc.

http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/products/dvddrivesdesktoppcs/ad7200a.html
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #8271662

I spent some time perusing info on google concerning burning cd's for playing on other than the pc drive. It becomes a bit complex but one thing is repeated over and over. Do not use CD-RW discs and not all 'consumer players' will read the burned cd's because they are different than the pre-recorded cd's. Aside from that, I recommend you do a search for the info regarding burning music cd's and try to figure out what is going wrong. It may be your burning program but is not the drive. Good luck.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America