Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Container Gardening: Old Smokey lid for lettuce?

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #8268162

I have an "old smokey" bbq pit that is past its prime and is about to be trashed. Then, just now, I realized that the lid would make a great planter for some of my lettuce. It is about 18" in diameter and maybe 10" deep. Problem is, I burned charcoal for years in this bbq pit so would that make it a bad candidate for growing veggies?

pbyrley

pbyrley
Port St Lucie (+ Wk , FL
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #8268786

I assume you ate the food that the charcoal cooked so the lettuce should be safe. If you think there is too much ash, put a small high pressure nozzle on you hose (available at HD and Lowes for a bout $2) and wash the residue out. I wouldn't bother and I already have the nozzle. Give it a try with a few seeds or plants this year.
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #8268877

Lol, talk about not seeing the forest from the trees. Yes, I enjoyed many steaks and chicken on that grill and I seem to be ok. Thanks for your reply, pbyley.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America