Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Gardening by the Moon: Gardening by the Moon Calendar: JANUARY 2011

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 21, Views: 188
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #8268275

January 2011

1st Plant Carrots, Turnips, Onions, Beets, Irish Potatoes And Other Root Crops, In The South. Lettuce, Cabbage, Collards, And Other Leafy Vegetables Will Do Well. Start Seedbeds. Good Day For Transplanting.

2nd-3rd Seeds Planted Now Will Grow Poorly And Yield Little.

4th-5th Good Days For Planting Aboveground Crops Such As Sweet Corn, Beans And Peppers, In Southern Florida, Texas And California.

6th-8th A Good Time To Kill Plant Pests Or Do Plowing. Poor For Planting.

9th-10th Fine For Planting Any Aboveground Crop, Where The Climate Permits. Extra Good For Peppers, Tomatoes, Peas, And Other Vine Crops.

11th-12th Barren Days. Do No Planting.

13th-14th Fine For Planting Beans, Peppers, Cucumbers, Melons And Other Aboveground Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable.

15th-16th Poor Days For Planting. Seeds Tend To Rot In The Ground.

17th-18th Best Planting Days For Aboveground Crops, Especially Peas, Beans, Cucumbers And Squash, Where Climate Is Suitable. Plant Seedbeds And Flower Gardens.

19th-23rd A Barren Time. Best For Killing Weeds, Briars, Poison Ivy, And Other Plant Pests. Clear Woodlots And Fencerows.

24th-25th Favorable Days For Planting Root Crops. Fine For Sowing Grains, Hay, And Forage Crops. Plant Flowers.

26th-28th Plant Carrots, Turnips, Onions, Beets, Irish Potatoes And Other Root Crops, In The South. Lettuce, Cabbage, Collards, And Other Leafy Vegetables Will Do Well. Start Seedbeds. Good Days For Transplanting.

29th-30th Seeds Planted Now Will Grow Poorly And Yield Little.

31st Good Planting Day For Root Crops Where Climate Permits.

paulasims
Walton, KS

December 21, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #8270457

drthor,
Planting by the moon is a new interest for me so I know very little about it. Where do you get your information and is it specif only to zone 8a (where you live) or everywhere?
Paula

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #8270587

Gardening by the phases of the moon is a technique that can speed the germination of your seeds by working with the forces of nature.
Plants respond to the same gravitational pull of tides that affect the oceans, which alternately stimulates root and leaf growth. Seeds sprout more quickly, plants grow vigorously and at an optimum rate, harvests are larger and they don't go to seed as fast. This method has been practiced by many for hundreds of years, and is a perfect compliment to organic gardening because it is more effective in non-chemically treated soil.

Lunar planting is influenced by two factors:
The lunar phase controls the amount of moisture in the soil. This moisture is at its peak at the time of the new and the full moon. The sun and moon are lined up with earth. Just as the moon pulls the tides in the oceans, it also pulls upon the subtle bodies of water, causing moisture to rise in the earth, which encourages germination and growth. Tests have proven that seeds will absorb the most water at the time of the full moon.

The astrological signs of the zodiac correspond with the elements of water, earth, fire, or air. Each plant has a preference for what elemental sign it is planted in. The best time for starting seeds of most annual plants is during the fertile water signs, but root crops like earth signs, and flowers especially like the air sign of Libra. The moon sign changes every few days.

paulasims
Walton, KS

December 22, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #8272797

Each year we purchase "The Old Farmer's Almanac" and they seem to have some information for planting by the moon. We also have a "Foxfire" book that explains it in pretty good detail. Guess I'll have to dig it out! Thanks for your explanation and I look forward to studying this subject further!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #8272806

I find this interesting as well, didnt even know such a forum existed. Anyway. Im following Jan. to a 'T'. Cant hurt. I plant all my tomato seeds then and it looks like I need to set aside the 9-10th.
paulasims
Walton, KS

December 22, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #8272815

After looking over the scheduled for January again, I'm a bit confused. Let's take the root crops for Jan 1. Are they planted in the ground or in seed trays? (I've never transplanted potatoes before!) If they go in the ground, I'm assuming you do this only if the ground can be worked. Yes or No? Here is Kansas, we still have the snow and ice of February and March to contend with. Will everything hold on until spring? Do we need to use row covers?
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #8272922

Good questions. In my mind, i was thinking that you could plant in ground or tray/pot, just if you did it in trays, you would want to transplant to the ground, on the transplant days.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #8272939

The planting is either to seed direct on the soil inside or outside, or for transplanting seedlings. You just need to plant in the recommended dates.
If you live in KS you will need to follow you recommended planting times.

Example : 4th-5th Good Days For Planting Aboveground Crops Such As Sweet Corn, Beans And Peppers, In Southern Florida, Texas And California.

Here in DFW I will have to start the peppers "inside"
So I have already started my tomatoes (which is above ground crop) and peppers on december 18th indoor. I know that I need to transplat my tomatoes in mid march here in DFW and peppers a little later.

So I look at the moon calendar for the dates on which is best to plant the "above ground" crop, and wait for the correct time.

It is very easy when you understand it. And to me it really made a hige difference on the harvest quality and pest problems.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #8273136

Thanks, so you move your seedlings to the ground on the day the crop itself is supose to be planted, not the transplant day.
paulasims
Walton, KS

December 23, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #8273461

I'm all for larger harvests and fewer pest problems! Thanks for explaining it a bit more. This is one forum I will check every day!! Are there any secrets to discouraging weeds?? :)
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #8275772

I visit today to do the January calendar but drthor have post it this time, that is good cause sometime I run out of time.

I always use the calendar but I plant any flower or vegetable, IMHO I feel it is important to know when not to plant, that is the barren days.

Paula, the best to avoid weeds is companion planting and crop rotation, and as usual, cultivation and hand pulling and mulching , I do not use herbicides.

The Farmers Almanac publish the calendar, you can subscribe or you can visit:

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/gardening/
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2010
5:25 AM

Post #8280088

OK, Ive got my seeds and catalogs out, now Ive got to mark these dates so I get it right. Hope to plant some on the baren days as well, we can share pictures in the spring to compare.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #8280196

No ... you MUST not plant on "barren" days.
Only on the planting dates

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #8280214

Actually, you should plant some seeds on barren days just to have a comparison point for seeds planted on the better days. Seeds planted on barren days will germinate, and usually grow when transplanted... just not nearly as healthy as seeds planted under the right conditions. Comparison is the best way I know of to make a Believer out of someone!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #8280229

You are right DARIUS.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #8280231

My BIL garden by the moon/almanac. He had great luck. I just thought it would be fun to have visual evidence to post.
I grow about 300 daylily seedlings a year. I dont get all the seeds planted on the same day. My word, it never hit me till just now...Im planting some on good days and some on barren days. I bet thats it...I bet it is. Thats why Im getting some beautiful seedling and some nothings, all seeds from the same pod or plant too.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

December 28, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #8281052

gardenglory, I feel is the best to do, then you can see the results by yourself, the best lesson is the one gain by experience.

Good luck and go ahead with your experiment, and do not forget to tell us!
paulasims
Walton, KS

December 29, 2010
4:02 PM

Post #8282572

Thanks for the link, Christina. And I like Darius' idea to plant on barren days just for comparison. Got our small greenhouse finished today. Once we get benches set up, we'll be ready to go!
lewalcindortx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2011
12:08 AM

Post #8291408

Do these dates also apply to winter sowing seeds?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 4, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8291701

off course. It will apply to any kind of planting or transplanting
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8291807

Ive got my seeds ready, Im planting tomato and pepper seeds on the 9/10th and my daylily seeds on the 17/18th.

I also plan to do some damage on the 19-23. Ive got so much ivy and such to get rid of. Its worth a shot to wait till those days.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8297932

Same here weather permitting:) The landscapers at the apt don't use a grass catcher on the mower and don't get me started about the leaf/grass/weed clipping blower. My bed is overrun with all sorts of unwanteds and I gave up the fights to be quite honest:)

I've been interested in using the GBTM schedules here for quite some time and am finally going to do it this season.

I have an area overrun by cannas--I pull and 3 ft down the wall they turn up so they may get the yank as well while I'm weeding in the hopes they will not return so vigorously.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America