Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: The Christmas Tree: Eastern red cedar: Our Red Cedar

Communities > Forums > Article: The Christmas Tree: Eastern red cedar
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Christmas Tree: Eastern red cedarReplies: 1, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Maryinhammondsp
Bath, NY

December 20, 2010
4:07 AM

Post #8268659

Several years ago my husband pointed out a tiny red cedar seeding that had sprung up in a very poor place -- the corner of our front lawn. This area is very shady, has little grass, and doesn't get mowed very often, but it still was no place for another tree. Did I want to save it? I voted yes, because we had used red cedar for Christmas trees in Virginia when I was in my teens.

So the little tree got moved, and I forgot about it. Not long ago, while looking out the living room window, I noticed an evergreen that I could not remember. It was that cedar, moved to way down by the old cherry tree, and now grown now to about 18" tall and doing very well. After reading your story, I'm double glad we saved it.

Sharron -- have you ever written anything about the wild cherry? I love that tree.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #8269020

How fun that you saved the tree!! It grows quickly, in no time it will be as tall as you are!

I haven't written about the wild cherry. I'll have to think about that.

Thanks for writing, it's good to hear from you.

Happy Holidays!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Christmas Tree: Eastern red cedar Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
a beautiful tree debi_k 13 Dec 24, 2008 3:19 AM
Nice phicks 1 Dec 16, 2008 6:25 PM
What a great article! daylilydaddy 4 Dec 19, 2008 5:29 AM
Very Moving! BennysPlace 5 Dec 17, 2008 1:55 AM
AHHHMy Counrty of birth.... Gitagal 1 Dec 17, 2008 5:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America