6:10 AM

Post #8268820

Has anyone ever used one for a heat mat? How did it work ? Is it safe? Don
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #8269198

Well I used an old waterbed heater for a heat mat whitout any problems.
It worked well and I had no safety problems. Just keep the plug away from dampness. I put my containers with holes in some bigger containers without holes to prevent the water touching the heat mat.
I stopped using it because growing tropicals here after germination is a problem.

I used the old mattress of the water bed for a small pond. Still works perfect after 3 years. No leakage at all.

Jonna
donlaclair
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #8270383

Thanks Jonna,
I think I'll give it a try
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

January 2, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8288090

So glad you asked this, don, as I was just thinking the same thing! I know I can pick up a couple of the heaters here way cheaper (hopefully even free, teehee) and was hoping that would work! Thanks!
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

January 11, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8304788

Don i wanted to use the matress and heater to heat my green house!
trc65
Galesburg, IL

January 11, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8305484

Dana, you must have a big greenhouse to have room for a water-bed! I use the same theory in my cold frames real early in the season. I have several old laundry detergent bottles that are made of dark blue plastic. I fill them with water and leave them in the sun on the south side of a shed and at night I move them into the cold frames. I also put a couple of sheets or a blanket on the cold frames to help hold in the heat. Doing this I can get an almost 15 degree buffer on those nights that get really cold. I've had outside temps as low as 20 degrees without any damage to plants in the cold frame. The water bed should do the same thing on a different scale. The heat exchange probably won't be very efficient, but it should give you a lot of buffering capacity on cold nights.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

January 11, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8305631

I have 2 12x 20 full my thoughts are put waterbed mattress in there build a frame around it so you can still use the space. heat it during the day and have it on a timer so it doesn't heat all night. Then in the morning when sun comes up heaters back on so electric shouldn't be to terrible.
donlaclair
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 12, 2011
3:19 AM

Post #8305976

Dana,
I think your on to something. If you build around the mattress which will be heavy duty enough to hold real cold sensitive plant's or even potting mix .The actual top of the mattress would have to be in contact with the bottom of the wood or what ever you used for the shelf,so the heat could transfer to the potting mix and then radiate up and out.I'm not sure how much that would help heat the ambient temp of the enclosure .I've had many waterbeds in the past and they don't heat the room up at all,just what ever comes in contact with the mattress. Dana if I remember correctly they were real cheap to run, like pennies a day if the were covered with a heavy comforter. Don
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

January 12, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8306038

Think about it people use gallon jugs and 5 gallon buckets to heat up during the day. As much water as the mattress holds I think it would work cover mattress pad held heat in. Nothing between it and air I think this will work shelves would be slotted to allow warmth to come thru. My green houses are temp. car ports that I buy green house grade plastic. And close up Christmas I went home to Ct. while I was gone weather took a turn low 20's. I about died I heat with propane while I'm here I figured everything would be dead. But I could not believe it lose of leaves and very little tip damage to brugs, plumeria was fine.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 12, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8306341

I think the water bed heater would be quite costly to operate. Look at the watts, they may be 800+ watts and if it cuts in a lot to maintain the heat setting it may drive your electric bill up a lot.
donlaclair
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 12, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8306368

the ones I'm going to use are 12o watts.. Don

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America