-
AuthorContent
hczone6
Cincinnati (area), OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2001
11:08 PM

Post #15398

I bought this today (my wife was stupid enough to take me to a garden store that sells crafts too (which she wanted to look at) so I couldn't leave without buying some plants on sale)...anyway, this was placed on top of a sign for Lamb's Ear. The tag on the container, however, calls this plant Salvia guaranitica "Aregentina Skies". It doesn't really look anything like the growth of a real lamb's ear. The center of this plant I believe shows the rosette that will pop up and grow for next year. Is this really Salvia?...I think it is.

Thumbnail by hczone6
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hczone6
Cincinnati (area), OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2001
11:19 PM

Post #142168

I may have answered my own question, because I found this on the net and it looks like this is a salvia. My real question now is, is it hardy in zone 6? I keep seeing it listed as zone 8...but I've also seen it listed as zone 6. What's the truth?
Baa

October 7, 2001
11:28 PM

Post #142176

Marty you are correct in thinking its Salvia guaranitica. According to the venerable RHS it is only hardy down to freezing and this is something I can vouch for personally.

If you have very well drained soil then you may be able to keep it over a wet period but snow may just do for it. If you can keep it frost free.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2001
11:30 PM

Post #142177

I think it's salvia argentea or silver sage - http://davesgarden.com/plants/go/1075.html The foliage doesn't match salvia guaranitica - http://davesgarden.com/plants/go/1914.html

Silver sage is actually a biennial. It flowers it's second year and then dies. It's often grown as annual just for the first year of foliage. The plant you have there will probably flower next year. The big fuzzy leaves are attractive to slugs so keep an eye out for them.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

October 7, 2001
11:52 PM

Post #142190

Poppysue
You are definitely right. It's salvia argentea, not guaranitica. Guaranitica isn't silver, gets at least 4 feet tall and has green slightly hairy leaves(but not hairy like those).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America