Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
taylorw
Fort Davis, TX

December 21, 2010
4:28 AM

Post #8270241

I am interested in heirloom vegetable gardening in Texas. I dimly remember that someone at Texas A&M is an expert on this subject and perhaps has written a book on it. Can someone on this forum jog my memory?

Thanks,

taylorw@fortdavis.net
Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8282791

Greg Grant (Aggie) writes articles for Texas Gardener magazine; he teaches at Stephen F. Austin University and gardens in East Texas. Judy Barrett gardens in Central Texas and has written a book on heirlooms (What Makes Heirloom Plants So Great?) available through Texas A&M Press but do check Amazon too. Google these folks for contact information and info they have published on the web.

Heirloom seed companies such as Baker Creek, Victory Seeds, Rare Seeds, (perhaps seed companies offering native/southwest seeds) may be able to suggest heirloom varieties based on your zone and climate however if you can find heirloom gardeners in your area you can benefit from their experiences.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #8282799

Many of the varieties that Howard Garrett recommends are heirlooms. Last year, I just looked at heirloom varieties and picked some to try. Amazingly, they all did well! LOL
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2010
9:19 AM

Post #8284936

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the amish mennonite communities have some heirloom varieties they have been growing. There are farmers still in Stephenville and Bee County, but I can't think of anyone I know there to ask directly...
dlbailey
Central Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #8285662

[quote="busterharrell"]Heirloom seed companies such as Baker Creek, Victory Seeds, Rare Seeds, (perhaps seed companies offering native/southwest seeds) may be able to suggest heirloom varieties based on your zone and climate however if you can find heirloom gardeners in your area you can benefit from their experiences.[/quote]

Native Seeds/SEARCH is based out of Tuscon and specializes in heirlooms native to the southwest, including some from Texas.
dlbailey
Central Valley, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #8285672

Southern Exposure is another seed company that sells varieties from the Southeast, including Texas.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 27 Sep 15, 2014 5:50 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America