Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Computer Talk: zip files?

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 7, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jannich
Andalusia, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #8270528

Hi,Could someone help me learn how to do zip files, from start to finish please. I would like to download a zip file but don't know how to do it.I have googled for answer but didn't really come up with the right answer.Thanks for any help.Jan
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2010
4:26 AM

Post #8272041

There are many zip file applications out on the web. Winzip is probably the most popular. Typically you are compressing files and saving all the files under a directory or multiple direcories into one file. This allows you to email, copy, ftp this one file to another user, drive, or computer. The end user/computer can see all the files by double clicking on the zip file and opening any file by double clicking on that file. The other option is to extract the files preserving the directory structure to any directory on the new computer (or same computer).

To zip files, the easiest thing to do is right mouse click on a collection of files or the directory that the files are in, and select Send To... now select Compressed (zipped) Folder. Usually you will see a pop up asking what option you want to save the new file to (depends on what zip app is on your system). Now you can send that zipped file to where you want to.

To download a zip file depends on a lot of things. If it is a web site you are copying from you should be able to just right mouse click and do a save, pick a location to save to, and click OK. When it is downloaded, you should be able to see the files by doing what was mentioned earlier. If you want to extract them then do the right mouse click and choose extract all.

Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #8273154

I think you need to purchase one of the zip programs. WinZip and PKZIP are the two most common. Both have zip reader programs cheaper than the zip creation programs. Many download files and programs have self-extracting systems built in but are only for that file or program. Normally if you create and send a zip file to another person, that person needs the zip reader in order to expand the file. It has been years since I used zip and LHarc compression so I am a bit rusty on the process. PKZIP was included in some of the old DOS programs years ago.
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2010
9:27 AM

Post #8273755

IZARC.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #8273838

7-zip is free, offers several formats, and can be done on a command line too (if you need to schedule a batch file to zip files on a regular basis).
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #8273908

Downloaded Egg's IZARC to a temp directory then ran (installed) the program with no problems. Will need to try to open zipped files later. I would like for it to operate automatically in unzipping files.

jannich
Andalusia, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #8273945

Thank you folks for helping me.Great instructions hcmcdole,did a zip file on the first try.

Merry Christmas everyone,Jan
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #8274143

OGR... it'll do everything you ever dreamed an archive program could do except create an "rar" archive. You still need WinRAR for that (if I remember correctly). And it does it all for free. =)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America