Birthday Club The Next Generation #7

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Rule number one is HAVE FUN! If you can't bring a sense of humor or a smile to the party don't come.

Rule number two is about the "gifting" of birthday goodies. New plan that I hope will solve the problems of most of the people with financial issues. All goodies must fall into one of these 3 categories:

1. A handmade or crafted something that you do. Most everyone I know on DG sews, paints, crafts or does some sort of hobby that they could share in some small way with the birthday people. If it is only a handmade card that you can send for $.44 that is terrific. This is not supposed to be about the gifts, but the giving. If any of you have joined thinking that you are going to have some bodacious birthday haul of expensive items, think again.

2. Second category would be plants. Hey we are a gardening forum after all. A lot of folks have extras or starts or cuttings. Send what you can afford to ship.

3. Gift cards for plants, or gardening related items or anything else that people have mentioned in their wishlists. I am not going to set an amount. Make it whatever your budget allows. Once again it is about the thought and the effort. There has been discussion of using the gift card idea and people thought that wasn't fair for the birthday person to have to pay shipping on their own gift. Seriously now, how many of you are going to go to Bluestone or Almost Eden and just get a couple of things? Come on. If you are going to go shopping there you are probably going to spend more than the gift card anyway so the shipping is just part of that. Anyone that does crafts would love a card to Micheals or JoAnns etc. I know I would. Keep in mind a lot of gift cards can be done online eliminating the postage issue all together.

Now that we have the ground rules set I encourage everyone to go to the New Likes and Dislikes link and adjust their posts accordingly. List your plant wants. List the places you like to shop or would like a gift card from.

Current Members:

Rouxcrew (Joy) Jan. 15
deepseas72(Ben) Feb.1
ClanCampbell (Chris) Feb.28
MaggieHanson (Maggie) March 10
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) April 9
Janaestone - (Dianae) April 12
JenniferShipway (Jennifer) April 22
Merrymath (Mary) April 28
Crit (Patti) May 10
tikipod (Angie) August 8/12
GAgirl1066 (Paula) Sept. 1
Ridesredmule (Charlene) Oct. 1
Rvnsbrk - (Juanita) Oct 9
GardenQuail (Michelle) October 28
Sherman99 (Karen) December 3
Hope43 (Hope) Dec. 28

New Likes/ Wants Thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1107561/

This message was edited Dec 23, 2010 6:45 PM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

All right folks let the good times roll!!!

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Joy what did you name the new lamb??

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

What kind of lamb is it? I see black on it's face, we used to have one and it was a "native" I think that is what daddy called it. What a pretty lamb.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Usually we name the ones that are born on Christmas day, at least for a little while. When we get done with lambing it is impossible to keep up with the lamb name thing. We have between 40 and 50 lambs as a rule. They are Dorpers, a hair sheep that was created in South Africa by crossing a black headed Persian with European Dorsets to create a meat sheep that had parasite and heat resistance.
Now that you know more than you ever wanted to know, she is the kind of lamb we call "cute".
gg

Joy
Off to see if there are anymore new ones

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Followed the cake crumbs. Gotta scoot to grocery shop and stop at Lowe's.

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Fruity I hope your Lowe's has the gorgeous orchids the Home Depot had today when I was there. Oh my... I almost bought several that I didn't have. I abstained, hoping that they will be on sale after Christmas. :)) They were stunning for sure.

Yep and I probably will forget THAT name. Wonder why we do that. I like to go there when they are marking them down. I now have 4 and I'm not an Orchid lover, I didn't think. they have beautiful Bromaliads too. But Dog gone it, I love it all.

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

FYI PRIORITY MAIL RATES TO INCREASE .... effective Jan. 2, 2011

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y10/m11/i08/s01

MARY

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Did you make those gorgeous arrangements up there with the Bird of Paradise?

Fresh 3' Norfolk Island Pines were pretty with glitter sprinkled here and there, marked down from $12 to $6. duh, half way home I realized those would be perfect on either side of our front door. Maybe they'll still have some next week. 2 gal pots of Poinsettias were $3, not my thing at all. Yeah, we have a 7-1/2' pre-lit tree now, on sale from $298 to $79! Last one boxed and couldn't grab a dolly fast enough...lol That was my big whoop. Still in the box and plan to set it up tomorrow. Remember we're really not having family Christmas til mid-January. The way I load up ornaments it won't be finished til then anywho. Hubby hit the jackpot and is going to get a set of steel workhorses, more Dewalt power tools, and a another worklight. Two words about the grocery store, wild zoo.

Just got a call from my mom who had insisted on cooking Christmas dinner for the family. She asked if she could come here for Christmas. OK........ Ran to the freezers, yes freezers, to see what I have for a special dinner, and decided to make a quick run to the local store. Scored a buy one, get one free spiral sliced ham, salad fixin's for Italian Bread salad, and eggnog for an eggnog cheesecake. Fortunately the store wasn't too bad but it is a small town. Now to peruse my recipes and compare with my pantry. Not going out into the zoo till after Christmas if I can help it. Anyone have a baguette they can share?
We bought our pretend tree like that Fruity, major mark down, and I must admit it is very nice for an artificial tree. Got Dave's big present from Lowes 1/3 off a couple weeks ago. Great minds think alike.

Another lamb this morning, pulled all teh sheep up, looked out 10 minutes later and there was the new mom standing out in the middle of the pasture. Good dogs.

Great!! Do the dogs guard your sheep too? I love those bargain markdowns.
We all got to watch it any more.

Char, I have two kinds of dogs, all of them good dogs. lol. The ones I was referring to was the BC's who were bringing in the sheep and left the ewe in labor alone rather than harassing her.
I also have great big white dogs, 5 to be exact, that weigh in close to 100 # each that live with and protect my sheep. Generically they are called LGD's, Livestock Guardian Dogs and encompass a variety of breeds and crosses. Pyrennes, Kuvasz, Anatolian, Akbash, and several other breeds. Mine are Pyr crosses that are 5 or 6th generation LGD. They are raised with the livestock and consider it family. They also extend that protection to any little children visiting or me if strangers are at the farm.

This is Squishy, one of my oldest as a puppy.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

And here he is about while babysitting a group of older lambs.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Quote from FruitOfTheVine :
Did you make those gorgeous arrangements up there with the Bird of Paradise?

Hee Hee,, Nope. They were in the Living Room at the Borgata in Atlantic City a few weeks ago. They always have the most gorgeous arrangements everywhere. It is one of the fun things about going there.

Love those LGD Joy! WOW didn't know they were so big.

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful animals Joy. Thanks for sharing.

MARY

Beautiful animal. What a grand Dog. I love them. I was wondering about if it may be a Pyrenees. they are beautiful animal and loyal to their animals they are guarding. Thank you.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Aren't LGD's the best. I love my Tibetans.

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

I love Pyr's - they are just the most loyal dog and do a fantastic job of guarding their 'flocks'. The kids have kept Boer goats for years over at a friend's farm; she has had Boers for years and years and is the one that started all three kids into goats. She's always had pyr/newfoundland crosses for her LGDs and there are usually at least two on the farm at all times. Wonderful, wonderful dogs. If I ever get a little gentleman's farm (I know, wishful thinking) I will definitely have a pyr mix.

Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL(Zone 7b)

Hey all, just stopping by before bed.

((((((((((( NEENER )))))))) I have missed you too!! And I have both the lovely cards you sent.

Someone asked me to write about my pet / Rug, Well Patches is a found cat that I tried to pawn off on Neener last year and I ended up keeping. He is a long haired cat and very, very, laid back. I also have his sister Elizabeth who has short hair and very independent.

We are busy working on our bathroom remodel. I am hoping to get it done by mid-January
Really love the baby sheep,,, I still want one...lol

Night all,,,

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf
Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey, Neener, thanks for the new thread... The page opens much quicker now :)
Joy, thanks for sharing about your lambs/sheep and dogs. It's very interesting to hear about.
My aunt has a few sheep that are her pets. Don't know what kind they are. She spins their wool and weaves with it. For a wedding present, she gave us a throw and a rug that she spun and wove. She still remembers which sheep the wool came from for the rug :)
My guide dog is a yellow labrador, about 70 pounds. And my previous guide was 50 pounds. Quite a noticeable difference in size... So using this as a reference point, I can imagine that your 100 pound dogs are quite large! It's fascinating -- all the things you can teach a dog to do!
Michelle

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Mud_Elf, thanks for sharing about your cats. When you said your baby was lying on your keyboard (thread #6), I was wondering if he might be a cat :) He sounds like a sweet kitty!
Michelle

Oakland, MD

Hello,

I would like to join in on this fun If that is ok with everyone else.

Jennifer

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Welcome Jennifer!! I've been to your neck of the woods many times. How much snow you got out there? :)) I just need your birthday and then I can add you to the list.

Neener

Hey guys, guess what I am having for lunch?????? A tomato sandwich. No big deal you say? Well this tomato is from my garden, just got ripe and oh so delish!!!!

Pbbbbbbbbbttttttt!

Joy

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

oooohhhhhhh. not fair. my last tomato died in the frost we had. envy envy envy

shame on you, tauting us like that!!!☺ enjoy it, Joy.
Welcome Jennifer, Never been there, Great folks here.

Oakland, MD

Neener- My Birthday is April 22 and snow I can give you some. Last year we got 25 feet of snow and we got 4 feet so far and they say it is going to be worse then last year I hope not. Last year was very bad you open your outside door and all you seen was snow and had to dig yourself out. I am ready for spring. lol.

Jennifer

Aren't we all!!!!!

I would be too. How horrid is that???
They'd (weathermen) would go nuts down here. They get excited over an inch or so.

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

JEN .... welcome aboard! .... and I am happy with the projected forecast for my area Christmas Day ... NO SNOW!!

That is good for me because Christmas is at younger daughter's place ... 30 miles away. She likes to continue a Christmas dinner tradition that I started ... PRIME RIB (yum) ..... I'll be contributing kobasi and nut roll from the Polish deli down the block (I'm 1/2 Polish).

A few packages arrived today ... think they are Christmas presents for me from older daughter in N Carolina. Do not think younger daughter would mail presents to me. Whatever is inside must be something I will like as they are from a garden supplier.

HOPE ... USPS tracking has my package to you being delivered on the 27th.

I hope Santa is good to all of you and that you have the pleasure of sharing this special time of year with those dear to you.

I no longer buy gifts for family ... instead I give a card with money at Thanksgiving to daughters and grandkids .... this way they can get exactly what they want and have money for their Christmas shopping. I think the grandkids prefer this practice from me.

So far my best Christmas present this year is finding out that younger daughter used most of the money I gave her for Christmas to play an anoymous Santa for a colleague who is having financial problems ...not receiving child support for her 13 yr old son ..had to borrow money to fix car ..then had to borrow money for food.

Daughter even made shipping labels for the two large cartons of gifts ...with a return address of NORTH POLE. One of my grandids left the packages on doorsteps shortly before the colleague was due to return home from work. Included in one of the packages is a $100.00 gift card to a local supermarket.

I feel so truely blessed.

MARY

That is wonderful Santa Claus is alive. How about that??? God is Great!!!!

Oakland, MD

Mary- We need more people like her. people these days forgot to help others out in time of need. Plus if people would stop and think of what Christmas is really about it is time for giving and helping out others.

Jennifer

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Got ya Jen and welcome again!

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

What makes it so special is that my daughter does not earn that much (

Mary, what a wonderful thing to read!!! You must be so proud that she turned out to be such a kind and giving person. I just love to hear about people like her. And right on, Jen..I agree completely.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone and a very Merry Christmas to each of you. Jennifer you will love this great group of friends.
To have anyone in the family as unselfish and loving as your Daughter would make anyone proud.
To me , this has been one of the best days....My Birthday! ..A great big thank you goes out to Nita. Thank you so much for the super gifts and I especially want to thank you for the beautiful painting you did on the Rooster. He will be displayed along with my other treasured "chickens". Now for the card and that envelope, they are way to pretty not to keep on keeping, and I will. Did you paint the watering can? It's so pretty and I will find just the right home for it. Thank you from my heart for everything.
AYF, Faye

Thumbnail by dahtzu

Happy birthday, Faye! Looks like you received some beautiful gifts.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Another reason I claim a Birthday is from the super gifts from our dear friend Susan. (for the newbies, FruitOfTheVine) Hugs and thank you for all the special treasures you gave to me. No way could I ever say thank you enough. Love everything in the box and that box had lot's to love. Susan thank you .....Just wish I knew how to say thank you in a grand way.
AYF, Faye

Couldn't get everything to show good in the photo.
Can you see all those seeds?, Look at the socks...happy feet., the black on the far right is Gourmet Coffee, waiting for the bus with all of you dear friends., Cinnamon Candle , going to smell like I cook even if I don't. Pretty set of Kit. towel, pot glove, and dish cloths., 4 Hand Blown Glass Angel Christmas ornaments, And now for the sweets...Lindt 85% Cocoa extra dark chocolate. Sorry, won't be saving this.
Love it all, and love you Susan

Thumbnail by dahtzu
Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you Jane. Yes, I did get great gifts both from Nita and Susan.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.