Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: Birthday Club The Next Generation #7

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 140, Views: 641
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #8272052

Rule number one is HAVE FUN! If you can't bring a sense of humor or a smile to the party don't come.

Rule number two is about the "gifting" of birthday goodies. New plan that I hope will solve the problems of most of the people with financial issues. All goodies must fall into one of these 3 categories:

1. A handmade or crafted something that you do. Most everyone I know on DG sews, paints, crafts or does some sort of hobby that they could share in some small way with the birthday people. If it is only a handmade card that you can send for $.44 that is terrific. This is not supposed to be about the gifts, but the giving. If any of you have joined thinking that you are going to have some bodacious birthday haul of expensive items, think again.

2. Second category would be plants. Hey we are a gardening forum after all. A lot of folks have extras or starts or cuttings. Send what you can afford to ship.

3. Gift cards for plants, or gardening related items or anything else that people have mentioned in their wishlists. I am not going to set an amount. Make it whatever your budget allows. Once again it is about the thought and the effort. There has been discussion of using the gift card idea and people thought that wasn't fair for the birthday person to have to pay shipping on their own gift. Seriously now, how many of you are going to go to Bluestone or Almost Eden and just get a couple of things? Come on. If you are going to go shopping there you are probably going to spend more than the gift card anyway so the shipping is just part of that. Anyone that does crafts would love a card to Micheals or JoAnns etc. I know I would. Keep in mind a lot of gift cards can be done online eliminating the postage issue all together.

Now that we have the ground rules set I encourage everyone to go to the New Likes and Dislikes link and adjust their posts accordingly. List your plant wants. List the places you like to shop or would like a gift card from.

Current Members:

Rouxcrew (Joy) Jan. 15
deepseas72(Ben) Feb.1
ClanCampbell (Chris) Feb.28
MaggieHanson (Maggie) March 10
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) April 9
Janaestone - (Dianae) April 12
JenniferShipway (Jennifer) April 22
Merrymath (Mary) April 28
Crit (Patti) May 10
tikipod (Angie) August 8/12
GAgirl1066 (Paula) Sept. 1
Ridesredmule (Charlene) Oct. 1
Rvnsbrk - (Juanita) Oct 9
GardenQuail (Michelle) October 28
Sherman99 (Karen) December 3
Hope43 (Hope) Dec. 28

New Likes/ Wants Thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1107561/

This message was edited Dec 23, 2010 6:45 PM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2010
4:34 AM

Post #8272054

All right folks let the good times roll!!!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #8272058

Hey Joy what did you name the new lamb??

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #8272153

What kind of lamb is it? I see black on it's face, we used to have one and it was a "native" I think that is what daddy called it. What a pretty lamb.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #8272200

Usually we name the ones that are born on Christmas day, at least for a little while. When we get done with lambing it is impossible to keep up with the lamb name thing. We have between 40 and 50 lambs as a rule. They are Dorpers, a hair sheep that was created in South Africa by crossing a black headed Persian with European Dorsets to create a meat sheep that had parasite and heat resistance.
Now that you know more than you ever wanted to know, she is the kind of lamb we call "cute".
gg

Joy
Off to see if there are anymore new ones
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #8272350

Followed the cake crumbs. Gotta scoot to grocery shop and stop at Lowe's.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #8272442

Fruity I hope your Lowe's has the gorgeous orchids the Home Depot had today when I was there. Oh my... I almost bought several that I didn't have. I abstained, hoping that they will be on sale after Christmas. :)) They were stunning for sure.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #8272465

Yep and I probably will forget THAT name. Wonder why we do that. I like to go there when they are marking them down. I now have 4 and I'm not an Orchid lover, I didn't think. they have beautiful Bromaliads too. But Dog gone it, I love it all.
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #8272704

FYI PRIORITY MAIL RATES TO INCREASE ... effective Jan. 2, 2011

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y10/m11/i08/s01

MARY
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #8272732

Did you make those gorgeous arrangements up there with the Bird of Paradise?

Fresh 3' Norfolk Island Pines were pretty with glitter sprinkled here and there, marked down from $12 to $6. duh, half way home I realized those would be perfect on either side of our front door. Maybe they'll still have some next week. 2 gal pots of Poinsettias were $3, not my thing at all. Yeah, we have a 7-1/2' pre-lit tree now, on sale from $298 to $79! Last one boxed and couldn't grab a dolly fast enough...lol That was my big whoop. Still in the box and plan to set it up tomorrow. Remember we're really not having family Christmas til mid-January. The way I load up ornaments it won't be finished til then anywho. Hubby hit the jackpot and is going to get a set of steel workhorses, more Dewalt power tools, and a another worklight. Two words about the grocery store, wild zoo.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #8272780

Just got a call from my mom who had insisted on cooking Christmas dinner for the family. She asked if she could come here for Christmas. OK... Ran to the freezers, yes freezers, to see what I have for a special dinner, and decided to make a quick run to the local store. Scored a buy one, get one free spiral sliced ham, salad fixin's for Italian Bread salad, and eggnog for an eggnog cheesecake. Fortunately the store wasn't too bad but it is a small town. Now to peruse my recipes and compare with my pantry. Not going out into the zoo till after Christmas if I can help it. Anyone have a baguette they can share?
We bought our pretend tree like that Fruity, major mark down, and I must admit it is very nice for an artificial tree. Got Dave's big present from Lowes 1/3 off a couple weeks ago. Great minds think alike.

Another lamb this morning, pulled all teh sheep up, looked out 10 minutes later and there was the new mom standing out in the middle of the pasture. Good dogs.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #8272867

Great!! Do the dogs guard your sheep too? I love those bargain markdowns.
We all got to watch it any more.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2010
4:06 PM

Post #8272881

Char, I have two kinds of dogs, all of them good dogs. lol. The ones I was referring to was the BC's who were bringing in the sheep and left the ewe in labor alone rather than harassing her.
I also have great big white dogs, 5 to be exact, that weigh in close to 100 # each that live with and protect my sheep. Generically they are called LGD's, Livestock Guardian Dogs and encompass a variety of breeds and crosses. Pyrennes, Kuvasz, Anatolian, Akbash, and several other breeds. Mine are Pyr crosses that are 5 or 6th generation LGD. They are raised with the livestock and consider it family. They also extend that protection to any little children visiting or me if strangers are at the farm.

This is Squishy, one of my oldest as a puppy.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #8272887

And here he is about while babysitting a group of older lambs.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #8272896

[quote="FruitOfTheVine"]Did you make those gorgeous arrangements up there with the Bird of Paradise?

[/quote]

Hee Hee,, Nope. They were in the Living Room at the Borgata in Atlantic City a few weeks ago. They always have the most gorgeous arrangements everywhere. It is one of the fun things about going there.

Love those LGD Joy! WOW didn't know they were so big.
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #8272901

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful animals Joy. Thanks for sharing.

MARY

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #8272921

Beautiful animal. What a grand Dog. I love them. I was wondering about if it may be a Pyrenees. they are beautiful animal and loyal to their animals they are guarding. Thank you.
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2010
5:12 PM

Post #8272944

Aren't LGD's the best. I love my Tibetans.
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8273017

I love Pyr's - they are just the most loyal dog and do a fantastic job of guarding their 'flocks'. The kids have kept Boer goats for years over at a friend's farm; she has had Boers for years and years and is the one that started all three kids into goats. She's always had pyr/newfoundland crosses for her LGDs and there are usually at least two on the farm at all times. Wonderful, wonderful dogs. If I ever get a little gentleman's farm (I know, wishful thinking) I will definitely have a pyr mix.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #8273237

Hey all, just stopping by before bed.

((((((((((( NEENER )))))))) I have missed you too!! And I have both the lovely cards you sent.

Someone asked me to write about my pet / Rug, Well Patches is a found cat that I tried to pawn off on Neener last year and I ended up keeping. He is a long haired cat and very, very, laid back. I also have his sister Elizabeth who has short hair and very independent.

We are busy working on our bathroom remodel. I am hoping to get it done by mid-January
Really love the baby sheep,,, I still want one...lol

Night all,,,

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 22, 2010
9:25 PM

Post #8273248

Hey, Neener, thanks for the new thread... The page opens much quicker now :)
Joy, thanks for sharing about your lambs/sheep and dogs. It's very interesting to hear about.
My aunt has a few sheep that are her pets. Don't know what kind they are. She spins their wool and weaves with it. For a wedding present, she gave us a throw and a rug that she spun and wove. She still remembers which sheep the wool came from for the rug :)
My guide dog is a yellow labrador, about 70 pounds. And my previous guide was 50 pounds. Quite a noticeable difference in size... So using this as a reference point, I can imagine that your 100 pound dogs are quite large! It's fascinating -- all the things you can teach a dog to do!
Michelle
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 22, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #8273251

Mud_Elf, thanks for sharing about your cats. When you said your baby was lying on your keyboard (thread #6), I was wondering if he might be a cat :) He sounds like a sweet kitty!
Michelle
JenniferShipway
Oakland, MD

December 23, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #8273833

Hello,

I would like to join in on this fun If that is ok with everyone else.

Jennifer
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #8273885

Welcome Jennifer!! I've been to your neck of the woods many times. How much snow you got out there? :)) I just need your birthday and then I can add you to the list.

Neener

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2010
1:12 PM

Post #8274046

Hey guys, guess what I am having for lunch?????? A tomato sandwich. No big deal you say? Well this tomato is from my garden, just got ripe and oh so delish!!!!

Pbbbbbbbbbttttttt!

Joy
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #8274056

oooohhhhhhh. not fair. my last tomato died in the frost we had. envy envy envy

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #8274071

shame on you, tauting us like that!!!☺ enjoy it, Joy.
Welcome Jennifer, Never been there, Great folks here.
JenniferShipway
Oakland, MD

December 23, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #8274078

Neener- My Birthday is April 22 and snow I can give you some. Last year we got 25 feet of snow and we got 4 feet so far and they say it is going to be worse then last year I hope not. Last year was very bad you open your outside door and all you seen was snow and had to dig yourself out. I am ready for spring. lol.

Jennifer
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #8274088

Aren't we all!!!!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #8274101

I would be too. How horrid is that???
They'd (weathermen) would go nuts down here. They get excited over an inch or so.
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #8274132

JEN ... welcome aboard! ... and I am happy with the projected forecast for my area Christmas Day ... NO SNOW!!

That is good for me because Christmas is at younger daughter's place ... 30 miles away. She likes to continue a Christmas dinner tradition that I started ... PRIME RIB (yum) ... I'll be contributing kobasi and nut roll from the Polish deli down the block (I'm 1/2 Polish).

A few packages arrived today ... think they are Christmas presents for me from older daughter in N Carolina. Do not think younger daughter would mail presents to me. Whatever is inside must be something I will like as they are from a garden supplier.

HOPE ... USPS tracking has my package to you being delivered on the 27th.

I hope Santa is good to all of you and that you have the pleasure of sharing this special time of year with those dear to you.

I no longer buy gifts for family ... instead I give a card with money at Thanksgiving to daughters and grandkids ... this way they can get exactly what they want and have money for their Christmas shopping. I think the grandkids prefer this practice from me.

So far my best Christmas present this year is finding out that younger daughter used most of the money I gave her for Christmas to play an anoymous Santa for a colleague who is having financial problems ...not receiving child support for her 13 yr old son ..had to borrow money to fix car ..then had to borrow money for food.

Daughter even made shipping labels for the two large cartons of gifts ...with a return address of NORTH POLE. One of my grandids left the packages on doorsteps shortly before the colleague was due to return home from work. Included in one of the packages is a $100.00 gift card to a local supermarket.

I feel so truely blessed.

MARY

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 23, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #8274153

That is wonderful Santa Claus is alive. How about that??? God is Great!!!!
JenniferShipway
Oakland, MD

December 23, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #8274159

Mary- We need more people like her. people these days forgot to help others out in time of need. Plus if people would stop and think of what Christmas is really about it is time for giving and helping out others.

Jennifer
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #8274235

Got ya Jen and welcome again!
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #8274271

What makes it so special is that my daughter does not earn that much (
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #8274272

Mary, what a wonderful thing to read!!! You must be so proud that she turned out to be such a kind and giving person. I just love to hear about people like her. And right on, Jen..I agree completely.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #8274399

Hello everyone and a very Merry Christmas to each of you. Jennifer you will love this great group of friends.
To have anyone in the family as unselfish and loving as your Daughter would make anyone proud.
To me , this has been one of the best days...My Birthday! ..A great big thank you goes out to Nita. Thank you so much for the super gifts and I especially want to thank you for the beautiful painting you did on the Rooster. He will be displayed along with my other treasured "chickens". Now for the card and that envelope, they are way to pretty not to keep on keeping, and I will. Did you paint the watering can? It's so pretty and I will find just the right home for it. Thank you from my heart for everything.
AYF, Faye

Thumbnail by dahtzu

janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #8274412

Happy birthday, Faye! Looks like you received some beautiful gifts.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #8274416

Another reason I claim a Birthday is from the super gifts from our dear friend Susan. (for the newbies, FruitOfTheVine) Hugs and thank you for all the special treasures you gave to me. No way could I ever say thank you enough. Love everything in the box and that box had lot's to love. Susan thank you ...Just wish I knew how to say thank you in a grand way.
AYF, Faye

Couldn't get everything to show good in the photo.
Can you see all those seeds?, Look at the socks...happy feet., the black on the far right is Gourmet Coffee, waiting for the bus with all of you dear friends., Cinnamon Candle , going to smell like I cook even if I don't. Pretty set of Kit. towel, pot glove, and dish cloths., 4 Hand Blown Glass Angel Christmas ornaments, And now for the sweets...Lindt 85% Cocoa extra dark chocolate. Sorry, won't be saving this.
Love it all, and love you Susan

Thumbnail by dahtzu

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #8274417

Thank you Jane. Yes, I did get great gifts both from Nita and Susan.
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #8274432

WOW! What nice gifts Faye. The rooster is so festive! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

MARY
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #8274492

Big smile here...thank you Mary.
Merry Christmas to all.
Hugs, Faye
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #8274726

Hi, all.
About to get some sleep... late night again... but first:
Faye, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Jennifer, welcome! Glad you could join us.
Oh, and Mary and Jennifer, remember to visit the likes/dislikes thread to let us know what kinds of things you might like for your birthday. Neener has a great explanation of what to let us know about up above at the beginning of this thread (and there's a link to the likes/dislikes thread there, too.) :)
Wow, 25 feet of snow right outside your front door! Jennifer, I just can't quite imagine it! I lived on the East coast til I was eight, so I've lived where snow is a regular thing. But, even so... I'd have quite a time trying to find my way around with 25 feet of snow on the ground -- all my landmarks would be covered up! Hoping with you that it's not really as bad as the weathermen think it will be!
Jennifer, how far is Oakland, Maryland, from Baltimore? I attended the Maryland School for the Blind til I was eight, before we moved to Oregon. We always thought it was really funny how the weathermen would get so excited about an inch of snow. They'd even cancel school which, from a kid's perspective, was great!
Ah, well, post more later...
Michelle
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #8274845

Glad you liked the box Faye. Couldn't not send to you since you were the first person to ever send to me many years ago. I didn't paint the watering can. :0) It was just too sweet to pass up at the store. That rooster is a one of a kind I can tell you that!!

Love you my dear,
Nita
JenniferShipway
Oakland, MD

December 24, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #8275023

Michelle,

Last year it keep snowing and snowing. We would get a path done then we would get 1-2 feet more then had to do it again. I am about 4-5 hours from Baltimore, MD. My parents live about 2 hours away and they don't get much snow but here where I live it is a different world. It will snow until May. I am ready for summer already.

Jennifer
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #8275080

Waving hi and wishing you all a blessed Merry Christmas!

You are very welcome, Faye, my dear sweet Friend born on Christmas Day ♥
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #8275614

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!
Nita, I planted an Angel from Paula in the watering can. Love it and it is perfect for the sun room.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #8275668

Just dashing in on the way to my daughters house, her hubby has cooked dinner and asked me to come and eat. Wanted to wish everyone a Merry Z-mas!! Night
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 25, 2010
12:31 AM

Post #8275952

Jennifer, I'll be sure to send you something nice and springy/summery for your birthday! :)
And to all,
Have a blessed Christmas and a joyous new year!
Michelle
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2010
5:17 AM

Post #8276076

Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday Faye!!! Hope everyone has a fun day with family. Lightly snowing here already. It wasn't supposed to start until later. Wish they could get it right just once. :(
JenniferShipway
Oakland, MD

December 25, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #8276142

[quote="GardenQuail"]Jennifer, I'll be sure to send you something nice and springy/summery for your birthday! :)
And to all,
Have a blessed Christmas and a joyous new year!
Michelle[/quote]

Thank you I sure will love it.

Jennifer
JenniferShipway
Oakland, MD

December 25, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #8276147

Karen and Hope I have something nice for your birthdays. I will get it out in the mail on Monday. Happy left Birthday Karen and happy early birthday Hope.

Jennifer
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #8276262

And Happiest Birthday to our Christmas baby, Faye!

Merry Christmas Everyone!
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #8276297

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone.

Off to younger daughter's place.

MARY
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #8276334

thank you for the birthday wishes and merry christmas to all !!!!!!!!!!!
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #8276372

Mery Christmas everyone and many blessings to come..

Merrymath oh I'm excited will be watching have to go get my cancer meds from hospital A.M.

Faye ohhh i goofed on your birthday.. same as me right?? or?? memory not with me. sorry will catch up I NEVER want to miss anyone dear dear friend.

Just us two here and he's in fine form groucy as ??..

Be well safe... thinking of you ALL
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #8276424

Merry Christmas to all my birthday buddies - have a great day, and happy, happy to Faye!

Di

This message was edited Dec 25, 2010 2:40 PM

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 25, 2010
12:16 PM

Post #8276493

Faye, making you a present when I get other stuff together I will get it to you.
Happy Birthday. Dear Lady. I hear you like Chickens, Have a great day.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #8276516

Well ladies and (Ben) it's time to sit down and take a load off. Crazy day with my parents. Daddy was kind of up and down as I expected and all in all it was emotionally draining for sure. Right now I just want to sit and not think about anything sad, or depressing.

Don't forget our next birthday girl coming up in January. It will be here before you know it. Bet Joy is having a rich, full crazy day too with horses and goats and sheep. :))

Thanks all for being here. I know I haven't been too uplifting lately. :0)
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 25, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #8276660

Hope and ridesredmule, please do not think you should send me a gift. I am not in the club, I just happen to love people who are. Some I have known since the club began and as long as my memory is working, I will remember them. I always watch this thread because of the strong bond I have to the "beginners". LOL sometimes I feel like I'm eavesdropping. But even that doesn't stop me.
Love & hugs
Faye
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #8276691

I wish I was there to give you a warm bear hug, Neener.The past few months have been awfully difficult on your Dad, you and your Mom. Been in your shoes, girlie, just wish I had the right words to give you comfort.

Played around with my camera after our mid-afternoon meal, and the resulting photo with a slow shutter speed shows falling snowflakes that sorta reminds me of misplaced ornaments. We had about 1" today, just enough to say we had a White Christmas. Overnight accumulate might be another 4".

Gotta go noodle around your likes / dislikes, Joy, and see what I can come up with :)

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #8276803

Susan, a very nice picture.

Jen, did you send the forecasted blizzard my way? If so, please take it back! LOL

Fortunately, I do not need to drive in bad weather any more. (retired)

Lots of things inside to keep me busy. Plenty of time to browse the garden catalogs.

MARY

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 25, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #8276909

Hey Fruity, I can sum it up in one word, "Stuff". VBG
Neener, you are the most upbeat person even when you are "down", there is nothing to put up with. Wish that I could handle all that you do with your grace.
I lost my dad almost two years ago and my mother, BHH, is becoming quite a child again. I am grateful to have her, sometimes, I know that is awful to say but unlike my children who weren't allowed to act like spoiled brats, I have no say with her.
She broke one of my antique Fiesta plates, dropped it to grab the napkin she dropped, then today she broke a leaded glass jar that I got from my ex MIL 30 years ago. And in both situations she was over extended with things in her hands and refused to let someone help. I get so frustrated sometimes, I have to walk outside and work on my zen.
Today, we had three ewes lamb, all singles, all young ewes so I spent a good deal of time in the 20mph wind checking to make sure that all lambs would make it when the temps get down in the 20's tonight.
Goaties are fat and sassy, they won't be kidding for a while yet; horses are fuzzy and munching on hay; dogs are curled up on the sofa and bed staying warm.
Had a great Christmas dinner, honey ham, brussel sprout casserole, bread salad, and garlic smashed potatoes. Oh yea, made my honey a mince meat pie and some lemon curd for the rest of us.

Hope everyone had a good day and better food. Made tea in my special teapot Neener gave me and not only does it make really cool flowers in the pot, the tea is outstanding! Going to curl up with a good book,

Joy
JenniferShipway
Oakland, MD

December 26, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #8277560

[quote="merrymath"]Susan, a very nice picture.

Jen, did you send the forecasted blizzard my way? If so, please take it back! LOL

Fortunately, I do not need to drive in bad weather any more. (retired)

Lots of things inside to keep me busy. Plenty of time to browse the garden catalogs.

MARY[/quote]

I thought you needed a nice white Christmas as a gift lol.
Jennifer
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #8277562

To those of you taking care of an elderly parent, my heart goes out to you. It is so hard when parent becomes child, harder still if there is any kind of dementia or altzheimers (cant spell that) involved. You are in my prayers.
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #8277582

Jen, I am fortunate not to have to shovel that white stuff ... deligate that task to 22 yr old grandson who lives with me.

The roads around my house are already sheets of ice. I will not be driving until I can see the black asphalt on my side street which is very close to main arteries.

Here is a picture taken about an hour ago ... view is rear of house. Forecast is for over a foot of snow.

MARY

Thumbnail by merrymath

JenniferShipway
Oakland, MD

December 26, 2010
1:13 PM

Post #8277651

[quote="merrymath"]Jen, I am fortunate not to have to shovel that white stuff ... deligate that task to 22 yr old grandson who lives with me.

The roads around my house are already sheets of ice. I will not be driving until I can see the black asphalt on my side street which is very close to main arteries.

Here is a picture taken about an hour ago ... view is rear of house. Forecast is for over a foot of snow.

MARY

[/quote]

A foot of snow is that it. lol That is nothing lol. I hope you had a good Christmas. I had a good one my kids enjoy it a lot. my little one was sick so she did not enjoy it that much.

Jennifer
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #8278015

That looks like a picture postcard, Mary. LOL Jennifer, we only have 4" on the ground and I'm already tired of it...just brings back bad memories of last Winter's blizzard when we didn't see the ground from December til March. I'm sure you and many others here know exactly what I mean.

OK, Joy, I got the gist of "stuff" and know you live in a farmhouse and that you like antiques, but what the heck does VBG stand for? Sweet you had Ewes born on Christmas Day. Have you picked out names for them yet?

Sissy Judy, I wanted to share a photo of the Angel on my tree that you lovingly crocheted and included in my B-day gifts last April :)

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #8278032

Such a pretty angel ... understand you wanting to show it off.

Nite all ... I'm pooped ... don't know why ... but is beddy bye for me.

Mary
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2010
2:40 AM

Post #8278262

Greetings, all!
I received a wonderful surprise for Christmas. My mother-in-law always asks us for our Christmas list each year. This year, I asked for an Amaryllis/Hippeastrum called Jewel. I've heard from several people that it has a wonderful fragrance, so I was really hoping to get one. But my mother-in-law doesn't do much gardening, so although I was really hoping for one, I wasn't really expecting it. As it turned out, that was the first present they gave me to open! :) Oh, and there was more... she also gave me a trio of bulbs all ready to bloom. They looked quite neat in their decorative forcing container. Sadly, these sustained a little damage coming home. But, thankfully, this led me to discover that they had some decay underneath so I could take care of them before it's too late. So, now they're recovering in my "hippy hospital." :) I don't know what kind the trio is (the package just shows a picture with red flowers), but I'm still enjoying them... I'm hoping they'll have a full recovery! Once they've recovered enough, I'll pot them up in soil. And I'm contemplating how I want to use the container they came in.
No white Christmas here... a rainy one instead. But, even so, it turned out to be quite a nice one!
Mary, sounds like the snow is a great excuse for looking through those garden catalogs! Have fun!
Faye, I'd like to add my birthday wishes, though a little late... :) Hope your birthday was a special one!
Joy, I forget if you've said this before, but how long does lambing season typically last? Until I read your posts, I always thought lambs were born in the spring. Thanks for sharing about your animals!
Say, it's hard to believe that it will soon be time to put up our new calendars! Just a few more days til 2011 -- that much closer to the nice warm days of spring!
Michelle

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2010
4:57 AM

Post #8278404

Ha, ha, ha, Fruity, means Very Big, Grin. or Giggle.

Oh I don't even remember now, we had another big group yesterday including some issues with first time mothers, lost a set of twins and may have two bottle babies. Count is now at 11, up and mobile, so we are ok. Of course the reason I ended up with dairy goats was to have their milk if I had bottle babies and now all my goats are dried up. Poor planning on my part.
Dave said we had Murray and Merry Christmas, and Felicia Navidad.

Michelle, spring is the time for lambing, but we push the envelope just a bit down here. Our parasite load is huge in this part of the country so by lambing earlier we can get some growth on the little guys before the worms get bad. I also have a sheepdog trial here at the end of March so lambing this early gets everyone weaned in time for the ewes to go back to work. One last little note, we usually only have one or two days like today, 25 degrees, a year. If you can get through those, lambs do great. It will hit 68 tomorrow, 55 today. Normally I lamb in two batches, for ~30 days starting late December, then ~30 days in April. The second lambing is small, usually the yearlings, but this year my ram got out into the yearlings for one day and half of the lambs just born are from them.
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2010
4:18 AM

Post #8280039

Happy Birthday Hope! May today be filled with numerous events that make you smile.

MARY

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2010
4:49 AM

Post #8280057

Happy Birthday Hope!!!! Sending your box out today finally. Had company and couldn't break away to the PO. You stay warm!

Joy
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #8280094

Happy Birthday Twyla! I hope you get to have the day by yourself doing whatever you want to and that "he" isn't too grumpy. :0)
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #8280096

For anyone here that is interested the new decorated rock swap is open!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1146528/
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #8280513

Happiest Birthday wishes, Twyla! Forget about Grinch today. This is your day, time to pamper yourself and dab on some perfume. ♥
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #8280936

Happy day, Twyla - hope you have a wonderful day today!
JenniferShipway
Oakland, MD

December 28, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #8280979

Hope- Happy Birthday I had mailed out your package yesterday you will be getting soon.

Jennifer
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #8280981

Most Happy of Brithdays to you Twyla !!!!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #8281057

Happy Birthday dear Twyla. Do hope this has been a good one for you. I pray you will have a good pain free year.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #8281077

Me too, Twyla. Happy Healthy Birthday. Hugs from me and Nuzzles from Charley.
You too Faye!!!
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #8281163

Merrymath been trying still can't get picture up i love the magnet its on fridge., the flower pin and calender and gauge thanks so much.

Faye I'm very very happy to see you here alwsays..

Janaestone , got card thnaks so very very much will get self something i need thats not in budget..

Charleen ,thanks so very very much i love charley.

Yes got it up thanks its all nice.

Thumbnail by hope43

hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #8281166

Jennifer i get so excited.. thanks..
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #8281223

Happy Birthday Twyla! Glad I got your gift out 'ahead' of all the Christmas rush. We are having much better weather than last year, huh?
JenniferShipway
Oakland, MD

December 28, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #8281287

[quote="hope43"]Jennifer i get so excited.. thanks..[/quote]

You are welcome. I hope you enjoy.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2010
12:53 PM

Post #8282280

Big smile here...I just read that someone wants blue bottles...I have some...watch your mail!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #8282289

Do you like plastic bottles too? I have some blue ones to share.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #8282455

Faye, you are so sweet to me, thanks a bunch!!!!

Bottle trees seem to work with glass bottles, Char, thanks anyway,
For the uninitiated, the history of the bottle tree.

From Felder Rushing:

Although glass was made deliberately as early as 3500 B.C. in northern Africa, hollow glass bottles began appearing around 1600 B.C. in Egypt and Mesopotamia. Clear glass was invented in Alexandria around 100 A.D.

Soon around then, tales began to circulate that spirits could live in bottles - probably from when people heard sounds caused by wind blowing over bottle openings. This led to the belief in "bottle imps" and genies (from the Arabic word djinn) that could be captured in bottles (remember Aladdin and his magic lamp? This story originated as an Arabian folk tale dating back thousands of years, even before clear glass was invented). Somewhere in there, people started using glass to capture or repel bad spirits. The idea was, roaming night spirits would be lured into and trapped in bottles placed around entryways, and morning light would destroy them

Anyway, the bottle imp/bad spirit thing was carried down through sub-Saharan Africa and up into eastern Europe, and eventually imported into the Americas by African slaves and Germans, Irish, and other superstitious folk who among other things put hex symbols on barns and celebrated May Day and Halloween. Europeans brought "witch balls" (hollow balls with an opening in the bottom to capture witches) and "gazing balls" to repel witches.

There seems to be little or no difference between bottle trees. All are simple variations on the same theme: bottles on sticks. Bottle trees - often referred to as "poor man's stained glass" or "garden earrings"- can be made of dead trees or big limbs tied together (crape myrtles and cedars have the best natural forms), wooden posts with large nails, welded metal rods, or bottles simply stuck on the tines of an upended pitch fork or a small number of rebar rods stuck in the ground...

Most are festooned with bottles of many colors, but the blue bottles are considered "best". Blue has LONG been associated with ghosts, spirits, and "haints" - there is even a blue paint used around windows and doors of cottages to repel spirits called "haint blue".

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #8282474

Here is my new bottle tree that I picked up this fall at Round Top. Haven't even moved it to the garden yet.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #8282484

It's so weird to hop on here and read about bottle trees - my Gardener's Supply catalog arrived today and I was showing DH a picture of the one I want in there! A lady over on the ORVG forum has one she posted a picture of earlier this year with all cobalt blue glass bottles on it and it is stunning. My MIL has some old glass bottles that she said I could have and I think I'll take her up on it this spring. DH has an artist friend who works with metals quite a bit and said he might have something sitting around in his shop that might work. If not, I think I'll go for the one in the catalog.

http://www.gardeners.com/Bottle-Tree/DecorativeAccents_Statues,38-130,default,cp.html
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #8282486

Joy, I really like the one in the 2nd picture. Where/what is Round Top?

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #8282514

Round Top is a tiny town, population around 20, that hosts a huge antique week each spring and fall. Actually it has spread to about 10 surrounding towns and the lands in between. People come from all over the United States to shop and to vend (is that a word?). I go every year, partly because it is just around the corner from me but mostly because if you want something it will be there. I cannot truly explain the size of this thing, but let me try one section. You turn off Hwy 290 and are still 10 miles from Round Top. You hit the first area in about 200yds. It has over 100 vendors. Travel another 2 miles and you hit ones on both sides. By the time you get to Round Top, you have passed over 2,000 vendors. And you haven't even hit the main part yet. Just a little further down the road you come to a sea of shops, tents, open air markets, and it makes what you just passed look tiny.
Anyone who has a desire to come to this marvelous feat, you are more than welcome to stay at the farm. We have a barn to store your loot. LOL I am not kidding.
I have bought Fiesta Ware, yard art, antiques, a scale, plants, outside chairs, bird feeders, statues, dog collars, shirts, OMG, I could go on forever. It is not Canton, a place to find super cheap deals (although there are some there). It is a place to FIND what you are looking for.

Joy

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #8282529

Di, EBay is where my old one came from, quite a few years ago. It looks a lot like the one in Gardener's Supply. The Bottle Tree Guy is the one who made the new one.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #8282530

owwww!! sounds like my kind of place.
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #8282586

Does anyone have MASON BEES?

MARY
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #8282671

Love that second tree, have never seen one like it.
MASON BEES!!!! Are you talking about honeybees or, well what? lol Sorry, showing my ignorance again.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #8282681

Is that the same as Wood bees? We have them. wood bees. the drill these little holes, lay eggs and if you disturb the wood (bang on it) theywill buzz and make noise, butso far none have attacked me. Poor things.
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #8282703

They are also known as ORCHARD BEES.

Most mason bees live in holes and can be attracted by drilling short holes in a block of wood. They are excellent spring season pollinators and, since they have no honey to defend, will only sting if squeezed or stepped on. As such, they make excellent garden "pets", since they both pollinate the plants and are safe for children and pets.

MARY

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #8282992

They use Mason bees to pollinate the fields in Idaho. They have big wooden trailers that the farmers drill a bunch of holes in, the bees move in and sleep at night; they haul to the fields during the days and open the doors. The bees fly back into the trailer at night. It amazed me the first time I saw it.

Joy
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2010
11:35 AM

Post #8283641

Well, Joy...I am going to look up the bottle tree guy - lol...and I may take you up on the offer to stay at the farm during the antique week - definitely sounds like my type of fun!

Mary, I've been wanting mason bees for quite some time to pollinate my flowers. They are not aggressive in the least. Do you have them?
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #8283649

One of my granddaughters in N Carolina sent me a mason bee house for Christmas.

I'm just learning about how wonderful & valuable they are.

Here is a picture of what she sent.

MARY

Thumbnail by merrymath

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #8283698

Hre is a link I found. Maybe worth the try.
http://phigblog.com/2010/02/27/making-mason-bee-homes/
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #8283988

Thank each of you for letting me know what Mason Bees are. And to think I've had them all along, if they are the one that bore holes in wood. Didn't know they were good for anything else, so now I will try not to get upset when they put holkes where I don't want them.
Hugs
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #8284003

DAHTZU Mason bees do NOT drill holes!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2010
4:41 PM

Post #8284028

Thank you! Sorry, don't be angry, when I read that they live in holes, I thought of those that did the hole drilling. Like I said before, I've never heard of them. Thanks again.
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #8284044

Hi Faye, mason bees just live in holes in wood, they don't drill in the wood. I think the ones you are thinking of are the carpenter bees - they look like bumble bees and leave little sawdust piles everywhere. Those things drive me crazy and DH is always muttering to himself as he fills all the holes in our fence and pergola with caulk.

Mary - that's the type of house I've been wanting, but I think DH is going to make one for me after reading such great, detailed instuctions on the link that Charleen sent. Thanks, Char!

Di

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #8284054

Di, give me a holler and come on down!!!!! We can fix you up, give you some good old misplaced southern hospitality. I am from AL after all.

Joy
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #8284091

Joy, let me know when it is and I just may do that. I can't in the spring but may be able to make it for the fall one.

I finally found the picture from the ORVG of the bottle tree with blue bottles. I think it's really cool looking and what an 'extra' to add a splash of color to the yard!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8030281
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #8284152

Thank you Di. That is what I misunderstood a Mason Bee to be.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #8284204

Ah ha! So the ones we have are carpenter bees. They love our old outbuilding but did notice last year they'd started drilling holes in the rafters on our back porch that's only a few years old. I'll pass the tip to hubby about caulking their holes, Di. It has to beat him running around with a can of Raid. He has exterminated quite a few but it seemed like the survivors only moved on to fresher wood.

Can I come too, Joy? Round Top has got to be the same place our friend from Houston just couldn't stop talking about. It sorta sounds like a mini-Hillsville we have here during the Labor Day holiday.
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #8284214

Well, Fruity, to be honest, even caulking the holes just sends them on to a new part of the wood too. Tom just likes to caulk them in case some of the larva are in there and thus, it keeps more of them from being here. Tom still runs around with his can of Raid too - lol. Funny thing is that all our wood is stained or painted and that doesn't seem to bother them in the least. DH's brother's house in Louisville needs a ton of wood work done all around the soffit and fascia on his roof due to carpenter bees drilling those crazy holes everywhere. Did you ever notice those holes though? They are perfectly round; it's amazing that a bee can drill something so perfect like that. (I know, I'm a nature freak at times ^_^)

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #8284246

Fruity, I would love to have you! Hey we can have another mini round up. Always enjoy folks visiting.

Joy
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #8284335

Nature never ceases to amaze me. One of my favorite moments was watching Carolina Wren fledglings leave the nest the mom had made in one my my hanging baskets. I try my best to grow organically and fussed at my DH running around with his can of Raid and couldn't stand the thought of him killing beneficial bees. Are Carpenter bees pollinators or good for anything besides boring their perfectly round holes?

I'll sleep in the barn, Joy, and earn my keep bottle feeding lambs, schlepping feed or whatever else you need me to do. Just don't count on me baking unless you want hockey pucks biscuits...lol When you have time, D-mail me the dates you'll be in my neck of the woods next June.
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2010
9:54 PM

Post #8284439

Hi, all!
Twyla, I hope you had a wonderful birthday!
I've been wanting to check in to see what all has been happening, but haven't had a chance to do so. I always enjoy reading this thread. It's like reading a mini newspaper -- I get to hear a little about whatever's going on. And I learn things, too! Thanks, all, for sharing about lambs, Mason Bees, Carpenter Bees, bottle trees, and the antique show at Round Top! We really do share about quite a variety of things on this thread :)
Joy, that makes perfect sense to do the lambing now. Sorry to hear some of the lambs didn't make it, but happy to hear that so many are up and about! Regarding having the goats to provide milk for any bottle-fed lambs, you know what they say about the best made plans... :) Hope all is going well, even with the occasional snafu! Oh, and I liked the names of the Christmas lambs :)
The antique show sounds like quite an event -- sounds huge! I'm thinking that anyone going would need to plan to spend quite a bit of time there if they wanted to see it all!
Regarding bees, I certainly appreciate it when they pollinate my flowers... and I'm very thankful when they buzz in and around the flowers so I know they're there and can avoid touching them!
Speaking of flowers, my trio of Amaryllises that I got for Christmas (my husband and I have named these "The Rescued Trio") are all planted in soil now. They seem much happier :) The bud covering of the bud on the tallest flower stalk is opening so one can see some of the flower buds within. They had been looking like a very dark pink, but now are looking much redder. I'm looking forward to seeing the first blooms from these bulbs!
Also, my Amaryllis Blossom Peacock (that I got for my birthday) is now blooming! They're quite beautiful and have a delightful fragrance :)
Well, can you all believe it? New Year's Eve Day! Have a safe and happy New Year!
Michelle
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2010
10:34 PM

Post #8284468

Michelle , i just realized it is friday..

Joy, its wonderful guess no one knows what a fan I'am of Mickey.. its super lovely.. and the socks, lotions thanks so very very much.will post picture next to.. . Joy i was trying to think of Canton was there once was about 15 yrs ago? think may be more?Round top can't recall ever going that way.Hope to get your things mailed next week having bad days.. went today to get my cancer meds.

everyone have a great week end. many blessings in the New Year.
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2010
10:43 PM

Post #8284472

Jennifer , i love the little angel shes sweet, and the key chain ,and Pin , seeds all things i like. thanks so much.

Thumbnail by hope43

GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2010
11:42 PM

Post #8284486

Oh, Twyla, those all sound lovely :)
I'll be keeping you in my prayers.
Michelle
JenniferShipway
Oakland, MD

December 31, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #8284629

[quote="hope43"]Jennifer , i love the little angel shes sweet, and the key chain ,and Pin , seeds all things i like. thanks so much.

[/quote]

You are very welcome. My kids helped me make the Angel. I am happy that you like your gifts.

Jennifer
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #8284751

Anybody got big plans for tonight??? Being a virtual geezer these days I suspect I'll be asleep by 9PM. Told DH that we should just watch reruns of the ball drop. :))
Ben are you out there?? Doing anything fun?

Oh well I am off to the studio to play in some clay. Attempted that yesterday and then the day blew up with phone calls.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #8284880

Thanks for the story of the bottle tree. I didn't know that, although I have seen them.

Crit

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 31, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #8284920

Twyla, glad you like the Snugli. And that you are a MM fan, God works in mysterious ways sometimes, even in little ones. Yes, Canton is the world's biggest garage and craft sale. There is always a bunch of stuff there and it spreads out all over the town. Bought my first pair of geese there over 25 years ago, George and Gracie. Still have a wooden kitchen garbage can from there, it must be at least 20 years old and still looks nice in my kitchen.

We never do anything on NYE, too old, too crotchedy, too worried about the drunks. Sometimes we make it through the ball drop, at least we wake up enough to notice. We have a New Year's Day party with a Chinese gift exchange that is always a grand time. Even Evan participates and takes a lot of fun in the stealing. This year his gift is a bottle of Crown and he said that he would choose it himself if he thought no one would steal it. We shall see, I might steal it myself!

Joy

Been sharing lamb pics with one of the other threads, thought I would share with y'all.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #8285688

Cute!!!!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #8285701

Sweet lambs, Joy, and especially love the little black & white ones. The last week has felt like being a time warp and wouldn't have realized either that today is Friday if it hadn't been for our little freebie newspaper showing up in the mailbox. I'll start sniffing my Amaryllis, Michelle. Blossom Peacock bloomed this week for me too. You are fortunate being able to keep your bulbs in the ground year-round.

No big NYE whoop here either and have already had my "midnight kiss" LOL Just hope I can keep my eyes open to watch the ball drop. If not there will be re-runs in the AM. One of these years, I'm going to convince DH to take that Christmas/New Year's cruise to the Bahamas. I've never been on one and think it would be a blast. Anybody been on a cruise and to where?
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #8285706

Alaska and it was a whole lot of fun.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8286475

Sign us up for that cruise Fruity. Bobo has been talking about that forever. I just want to go with another couple. :))
sherman99
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8286516

Thank you Jennifer, your BD gift is very much appreciated

sherman/karen
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8286611

Hey Fruity - I looked it up and the carpenter bees are definitely great pollinators but they can really destroy wood. Tell DH to start the caulking - seems they keep going back to the same hole and just bore and bore some more.

We took the kids eight years ago on the Disney Cruise - it was one of the most fun trips we've ever taken. I've wanted to go on another cruise ever since.

Happy New Years all!!
JenniferShipway
Oakland, MD

January 1, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8286652

[quote="sherman99"]Thank you Jennifer, your BD gift is very much appreciated

sherman/karen[/quote]

You are very welcome.

Jennifer
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2011
11:26 AM

Post #8286743

here's Mickey...lol. love it all thanks so much..

Thumbnail by hope43

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8286854

Susan, Ray and I have been on 2 cruises to the Bahamas. Our honeymoon and I was sick the entire week. Then for our Anniv. I too think it would be more fun to have another couple with you.
Happy New Year to you all.
Love & Hugs
Faye

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8286927

Woo Hoo! Got my package from Merry on Thursday afternoon and didn't get to open it till last night. She got me a really pretty angel ornament that got to sit on my tree for the photo just before it got carefully packed up for next year. She really is quite pretty and I can see why Mary liked her.

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8286930

I wanna go to the Bahama's. Alaska is pretty, but I want to go somewhere warm with beaches. Wouldn't it be fun to get a bunch together and go?????
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8286935

VERY pretty and dainty Joy!

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8286945

She also got me a little votive candle and a clear flower pot to put it in. My quandry is that the pot is filled with potporri? Or is it the little candle that smells so good? Whichever, it smells wonderful the way it is right now so I will hold off lighting the candle.
She also sent me a scond angel that is quite cute, I think Mary must know something, gg.

And the bestest thing is the apple peeler she sent. Dave has already taken everything out of the box (it came with a slicer and corer and a couple blades) and is right now using it to peel an apple for him to eat. Then he wants to try an orange, how old is my DH???? It will be so good for my next batch of apple butter.

Thanks for everything,

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8286958

Joy I don't peel my apples when I make butter. I'm lazy I guess. i just put in the whole apple, quartered, cores and all. Then i run it through a food mill after it is cooked. A lot easier than peeling and the pectin in the shells helps it thicken a little. Nice bunch of stuff!!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8287006

Good haul there roux

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8287066

Beautiful Joy.
merrymath
Morrisville, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8287165

Joy, I'm ^_^ because you are so pleased with your gifts.

I had to battle with myself regarding the bell ringer angel. I was getting attached to her ... but when I realized it was marked Joy to the World, I knew it was meant for you.

I had no idea that there was a little candle included in the clear glass flower pot full of potporri.

Keep us updated on your DH's experiences with the apple peeler.

MARY
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8287637

What a nice set of presents you have there, Joy. My youngest never liked the peels on his apples and was always after me to peel them for him; this from a kid who would eat 50 apples a day if we let him. Anyways, my MIL found a metal one and bought it for me probably 10 years ago and it still works great. Your angels are so pretty.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8288156

Since Joy is next up on the list I am going to start a new thread for all her goodies. That way she won't have to remind me in a few days. Hee Hee...
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8288169

New Thread for a New Year

Follow the frosting

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1147351/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1147351/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America