Digging shapes into the ground-pros and cons?

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 7a)

For stepping stones I'm picturing creating a shape on the ground and then digging the soil out to a depth of 2 inches or so and pouring in the concrete or cement or hypertufa. I picture placing stones within the shape for interest first. My thought is to place sand, push the stones into the sand and then pour. Is this feasible?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Did you try this? Did it work? I like the idea of creating stepping stones "in situ."

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 7a)

No I haven't tried it yet. The plan is to remove them after they set up and turn them over. Then the rocks that are set into the sand will show. Now that I have been reminded of this, and the weather is getting nice, I will do it and let you know.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I wonder if it would be better to push stones or whatever into the top surface of the wet concrete mix... then you would have a stepping stone that "fit" exactly into the shape you dug, with a little sand beneath for stability. Of course, if you're digging shapes like squares or circles, you could flip the finished stone over and it would still fit... but I'm not always that precise.

My nephew is here this week and was intrigued by the idea of doing stepping stones or a hypertufa project, although we have so many potential "camp" activities that I'm not sure we'll get to it.

Cave Creek, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have very sandy soil along my garden paths....I may experiment with this a little

Gainesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Interesting...if you do, post pictures, okay? I'm just learning myself and pictures help so much!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images