Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hypertufa and Concrete: Digging shapes into the ground-pros and cons?

Communities > Forums > Hypertufa and Concrete
bookmark
Forum: Hypertufa and ConcreteReplies: 5, Views: 170
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #8272229

For stepping stones I'm picturing creating a shape on the ground and then digging the soil out to a depth of 2 inches or so and pouring in the concrete or cement or hypertufa. I picture placing stones within the shape for interest first. My thought is to place sand, push the stones into the sand and then pour. Is this feasible?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8643730

Did you try this? Did it work? I like the idea of creating stepping stones "in situ."
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8644367

No I haven't tried it yet. The plan is to remove them after they set up and turn them over. Then the rocks that are set into the sand will show. Now that I have been reminded of this, and the weather is getting nice, I will do it and let you know.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8645858

I wonder if it would be better to push stones or whatever into the top surface of the wet concrete mix... then you would have a stepping stone that "fit" exactly into the shape you dug, with a little sand beneath for stability. Of course, if you're digging shapes like squares or circles, you could flip the finished stone over and it would still fit... but I'm not always that precise.

My nephew is here this week and was intrigued by the idea of doing stepping stones or a hypertufa project, although we have so many potential "camp" activities that I'm not sure we'll get to it.
sonoranpoet
Cave Creek, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8648523

I have very sandy soil along my garden paths...I may experiment with this a little
Dirt_Lover
Gainesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8648980

Interesting...if you do, post pictures, okay? I'm just learning myself and pictures help so much!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden Buttoneer 16 May 22, 2007 6:02 AM
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America