Camera Corner (What Kind of Camera Do You Use, Vol.4)

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1080645/

This list was compiled to help others determine what kind of camera they might want to purchase for bird photography. Perhaps you'd be interested in a certain camera and can see if anyone is using it.

This thread has also turned into somewhat of a discussion on other equipment and how to use it.

2dCousinDave= Canon 1D Mark IV, Mark III, the 7D, 5D, the 40D, the 20D, D30 LENSES: 200mm f/1.8, 400mm f/4 DO IS, 500mm f/4 IS and the 600mm f/4 IS. 1.4x TC.
2racingboys = Olympus E620 DSLR with the 40-150mm
adelbertcat = Pentax K100D
Beclu727 = Olympus OM-D EM-5 (Micro 4/3). Lenses 75-300 f4.8-6.7, 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 and 40-150mm f4.5-5.6.
bluebirdsnbells = Nikon 3000, Sony CyberShot DSC-S75 Lenses: 18-55mm & 55-200 mm
brianguy = Nikon D90
bsharf = Sony DSLR A100
Burd_FotosCanon Powershot S5is, Canon Rebel T1i 500D, EFS-18-55mm and 55-250mm, 400mm f5.6
Burn_2007 = T1i with a 70- 300mm IS lens. Fuji FinePix S5700 s700
cshirsch = Nikon D300, Nikon D90 Lenses: 300mm Nikon ED f2.8, 400MM Nikon ED f5.6, and 500mm Nikon ED f4
claypa = Sony DSC-H2
crazybirdlady51 = Olympus Sp550UZ
critterologist = Nikon P90. Sony DSC-TX1
dellrose = Canon EOS 40D
dinu = Panasonic DMC-FZ8
ducbucln = Canon 7D , Canon XTi Lenses: Canon 100-400mm lens, Canon 70-300 mm lens with image stabilization. 1.4 Kenko teleconverter
duckmother = Nikon D60 200mm
Elphaba = Kodak Z740 Zoom
f_chisolm = Canon 400D: 300mm lens
gardenpom = Olympus Evolt 500 SLR with 70-300mm lens.
ginger749 = Canon EOS 500D Rebel T1i, Lenses: EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EFS 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS.
GrannyGrunt = Kodak P850 Zoom
Grasmussen = Panasonic DMC-FZ50
JuneyBug = Samsung 10.2 WB500
kennedyh = Canon EOS 300D
lilyfantn = Nikon D70
Lily_Love = Canon 7D, Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Lenses: 28-135 and 70-300
linthicum = Nikon D300, Nikon D200 and Nikon D70 camera bodies. Lenses include the Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF I, Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR, Nikkor 105mm f2.8 D-AF Macro, Nikkor 18-70mm AF-S DX Lens, Sigma 50-500mm f4-6 and Nikon 1.4x and 1.7x teleconverters.
lionhrt9 = Canon XSI. Lenses: 400mm fixed 5.6 Sigma, a 70-300 Quantaray, a 28-90 Quantaray and the 18-55mm Canon lens
MargaretK = Canon 40D,
Methodical = Canon 5D MkII, Canon 1D MkIII, 400mm 5.6, 500mm f4 IS, 300mm f/2.8 IS
Mrs_Ed = Kodak Z8612, Canon 7D, Panasonic Lumix FZ150, Wingscapes 2.0 Birdcam
Nanny56 = Canon PowerShot SX20 IS, Fuji FinePix S80000fd
NM_Jane = Canon Rebel XTI, Panasonic DMC-FZ28
OPbirder = Samsung Digimax L60, 6.0 mp, 3x optical zoom
PanamaCreel = Nikon D300
pelletory = Canon T2i w/ a Sigma 50-500mm lens.
Resin = Fuji FinePix E550
rogue_designer = Mostly film cameras (4x5, and 120 and a bunch of 35mm for street work); Nikon D100,
rntx22 = Nikon D200
sacarvounisCanon EOS Rebel XSi. The kit came with a 70-300 zoom/macro lens
Shan71 = Kodak Z712 IS
Shelia_FW = Nikon D50
Tabasco = Canon PowerShot S30
tigerlily = Canon T1i
TheHackster Cameras: Canon 7D. Lenses: (1) Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L USM, (2) Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM, (3) Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro IS USM, (4) Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM.
VA_Wild_Rose = Canon T1i, Canon SD780 Lenses: Canon 70-300mm IS USM, 18-55mm, 55-250mm
WaterCan = Nikon D90 w/ Nikon 70-300mm Lenses: Sigma 150-500 telephoto

Article on SuperZooms (July 2010)
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q110superzoomgroup/

This message was edited Jul 29, 2013 6:11 AM

So, there was some discussion about shooting in Camera RAW on the last thread and another on the bird forum.

Here's a really good link if you are interested in understanding it.
http://www.birdinfo.co.za/photographic/16_why_raw.htm

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for starting a new camera/equipment thread Mrs_Ed.

Nice link you put up about RAW image files. I found that I was thinking along those same lines.

Hope you don't mind, here's the new by-line you can use in the opening list for me. Things have changed.

= Cameras: Canon EOS 40D, Canon T1i. Lenses: (1) Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L USM, (2) Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM, (3) Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro IS USM, (4) Canon EFS 17-85mm IS USM , plus Canon 1.4x and 2x Teleconverters.

Hack

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Mrs, Ed, please update my camera equipment also, at your convenience.

Nikon D300, Nikon D200 and Nikon D70 camera bodies. Lenses include the Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF I, Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR, Nikkor 105mm f2.8 D-AF Macro, Nikkor 18-70mm AF-S DX Lens, Sigma 50-500mm f4-6 and Nikon 1.4x and 1.7x teleconverters.

That's a good article on shooting RAW format. I find RAW format a little time consuming considering the number of photos that I take. I assume it's just a matter of getting used to it. But, I never touch my originals. I always work off of a copy. However, nothing beats getting it almost right directly out of the camera. Does anyone fool around with MLU (Mirror Lock-up) on their SLR's ? It's recommended on occasion to cut down on vibration, especially at low light and also shooting macro.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Mirror-lockup, that may be the next thing I tackle. I have found that with the right exposure settings, my jpegs are not too very different that what I get from RAW. And you're right, RAW files take more time to work up that jpegs.

Hack

Marlton, NJ

Mrs Ed, Can you please update my camera to a Canon T2i ? Thank you!

I have not messed with MLU or HDR. Of course, HDR would be a bit difficult with birds anyway. I have been meaning to play around with bracketing.

Quite frankly, I'm a bit lazy and until I can become a little more practiced, I'll be sticking to the basics. In fact, I just figured out a new button on the camera. Ha!

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Mrs_Ed.

Hack

Sandusky, OH

Quote from linthicum :
Does anyone fool around with MLU (Mirror Lock-up) on their SLR's ?

I messed around with it a couple times and it does work, but you need a willing subject...mine was a soda can lol, have never tried it in the field yet.

ah. good old soda cans. always willing to help out.

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Dellrose, I posted this in the previous thread as I did not know a new one was started so just copied it here, too. It's in response to your shutter issue.

Hello Dellrose. I just wanted to inform you about the Canon Loyalty Program, just in case you are interested. It's a program where you trade in your old camera(broken camera) and they give you full value towards the purchase of one of the listed refurbished cameras...includes 7D, 5D MkII, 50Ds and others. It's a program that has been thriving for awhile, but is little known. Here's a link to one of the sites I visit that's full of info. I suggest you take a look at that program as it might be just the ticket for you. They take any 'ole broken camera.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=948785&highlight=canon+loyalty

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Hack this is in response to your post on the 70-200 2.8 lens. I did not realize a new thread was started.

Don't sell that 400. The 70-200 with the 2x will take a big hit in image quality. The 400 alone is sharper than the 70-200 with 2x. Keep them both or sell to finance the 300 2.8 and use it with the 1.4 or 2x, which retains excellent image quality with the 1.4 and really good with the 2x.

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Raw is the only format I shoot. It allows me so much lattitude to adjust my photo in PSE7 or lightroom 3 without damaging the image itself, plus I can always go back in the future and reprocess if better image editing softward becomes available and I get better at PP; it's a digital negative like a film's negative. If I take mulitple images, I just delete the duplicates or crappy images and work the ones I like. Memory is cheap now so that's no longer an issue. Once you get a workflow, it takes no time to process and upload, especially with Lightroom 3. I spend maybe 5 minutes on an image. I usually expose to the right (i.e. overexpose a bit) to reduce noise and then adjust exposure in the Raw processor. When I first started in photography, I had a habit of underexposing shots, which left me with noisy images.

Quote from Mrs_Ed :
So, there was some discussion about shooting in Camera RAW on the last thread and another on the bird forum.

Here's a really good link if you are interested in understanding it.
http://www.birdinfo.co.za/photographic/16_why_raw.htm

This message was edited Dec 28, 2010 4:06 PM

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Quote from Methodical :
Hack this is in response to your post on the 70-200 2.8 lens. I did not realize a new thread was started.

Don't sell that 400. The 70-200 with the 2x will take a big hit in image quality. The 400 alone is sharper than the 70-200 with 2x. Keep them both or sell to finance the 300 2.8 and use it with the 1.4 or 2x, which retains excellent image quality with the 1.4 and really good with the 2x.

Thanks, Methodical, I had already come to that conclusion. You are so right, the image quality of the 70-200 f/2.8 plus theh Canon 2x TC was nowhere near as sharp as the 400 but itself - I compared pix from both. I'm keeping the 400.

On another note, I found that the Canon 1.4x TC (with the small Kenko extension tube) on the 100mm Macro IS is awesome. I'm shooting the 70-200 "naked", may or may not, use the 1.4 with it.

Thanks for letting me know, just the same.

Hack

This message was edited Dec 28, 2010 5:49 PM

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Hack I am glad you saw the difference, 'cause you'd hate yourself for getting rid of the 400.

Hack I use all three tubes on the 300 f4 for some really wicked close up shots. It doesn't produce the macro shots the 100 produces, but it's my pseudo macro lens combo...long reach with IS to boot.

This message was edited Dec 28, 2010 3:52 PM

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Linthicum,I've used MLU with a shutter release cord when photographing items in my light box for critical focusing.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=9551645&postcount=3722
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=9686678&postcount=3757

Quote from linthicum :
...Does anyone fool around with MLU (Mirror Lock-up) on their SLR's ? It's recommended on occasion to cut down on vibration, especially at low light and also shooting macro.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Methodical, right now, I only use the small extension tube just so the Canon 1.4x will attach to the 100 mm Macro. Later, I plan to play around with more Ext tubes behind the 100.

Hack

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Quote from Methodical :
Dellrose, I posted this in the previous thread as I did not know a new one was started so just copied it here, too. It's in response to your shutter issue.

Hello Dellrose. I just wanted to inform you about the Canon Loyalty Program, just in case you are interested. It's a program where you trade in your old camera(broken camera) and they give you full value towards the purchase of one of the listed refurbished cameras...includes 7D, 5D MkII, 50Ds and others. It's a program that has been thriving for awhile, but is little known. Here's a link to one of the sites I visit that's full of info. I suggest you take a look at that program as it might be just the ticket for you. They take any 'ole broken camera.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=948785&highlight=canon+loyalty

Thanks for the great info Al...I really appreciate your help!

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

I had a $90 gift certificate from eBay, so I bought me a Better Beamer. Burd_Fotos put me on to it. Out the side door of my house I can see some of my suet feeders - but they are always in dark shade. The farthest feeder is about 75-80 ft away. This thing is supposed to concentrate the flash of the 580 out to 150+ feet. But, what I also like about it is that it will allow me to use lower power settings on the 580 flash, thereby extending its battery life, while still illuminating the birds. Well, we'll see.

Hack

Marlton, NJ

Mrs Ed, Thanks for updating the list.

Good Luck with the new equipment Hack.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi everyone, I recently lost my Panasonic DMC-FZ28, a digital camera. I'm looking into a better quality for birding photos. I need a mentor (or more mentors as available) please on how to select some good basic equipments that I can build on for a long haul. Someone locally has suggested Cannon.... names doesn't matter. I just need equipment that I can take pictures of flyings birds with clarity.

Thanks

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Nikon Coolpix P90. This camera is so versatile and easy to operate. It has everything I need. The pix I took of the Brown Thrasher was taken last summer when I was still practicing with it but the rest of the pix are great. I also use Adobe Photoshop 8.0. Just as important as the camera.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Lily do you a Point & Shoot or a DSLR?

LL, Try this link, it has some good information on the Super Zooms, and I'm sure that would be a benefit to you.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q110superzoomgroup/

If you don't want to read the whole thing, here's the ratings and conclusions page:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q110superzoomgroup/page19.asp

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Lilly, what's your budget? Do you want P&S or DSLR? You can photography birds with both type of cameras, but if you plan to expand or grow in the future then a DSLR is a safer bet, but to better help you, it would be nice to know your budget.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I can tighten my belt and invest on a DSLR... and cut down on my daily butter lol. I'm eyeing on a Canon real hard at the moment.

Stafford County, VA

Quote from Lily_love :
.... names doesn't matter. I just need equipment that I can take pictures of flyings birds with clarity.

Thanks

If you're hoping to get halfway decent pictures of birds in flight with any kind of regularity, you will need to start with a DSLR.

Dave

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Update: Mrs. Ed I no longer have the Canon 50D

And I agree with Dave's comment, Lilly^^^^^^

This message was edited Feb 14, 2011 11:27 AM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I appreciate all the info. everyone offered. As a trail, I now have a Canon PowerShot SX30 IS. I will try this out and will upgrade to a more sophisticated one at a later time.

Congrats!! Can't wait to see pics!

This message was edited Feb 24, 2011 9:28 AM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Nan, here is one of my practice shots.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Hey..not too bad!! Think ya did good!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

At first I thought I did reallll good comparing it with my old p & s, but I went back and looked at some of my Lumix'es old pics. It turned out to be a slight step up. But not by much. Thank anyway Nan.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Reason for editin:= I had all my Camera details up here. “‘zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz’”
And nothing was happening ?
Who really cares what camera I have ?

This message was edited Mar 1, 2011 5:47 AM

Thumbnail by ginger749
PERTH, Australia

Kim, your shots are absolutely fine. Always when getting a new/different camera, it takes time to get used to it.

Nice shot, ginger. I had to look it up in my book, but I think it's a first year White-bellied Sea Eagle.

Yep there is a learning curve...took me about 3 months to be convinced I had not made mistake in getting my Canon SX20! A year later I am still figuring out stuff on it! lol

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Lily... I just bought my hubby that camera for his birthday! It was an upgrade for him... from the SX20. I can tell you in just one week, I can see a big difference in the picture quality! The SX30 has much better sharpness and contrast! It does have alot of menus, and it did not come with a paper manual, but a CD-ROM with the entire manual on it! I am trying to find him a "For Dummies" manual now.

Stafford County, VA

This is NOT my picture. I am posting it so I can post the next picture, which will probably make you smile (or scratch your head). This was taken by a man named Jim Sharp. who lives in Paducah, Kentucky and he is on a camera forum that I frequent. For this shot he used a Canon 1D Mark IV and a Canon 600mm f/4.0L lens. I happen to own both that model camera and that model lens. But that is where the similarity ends. People asked him how he was able to get such sharp images and he posted a picture of the set-up he has on his back deck.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

Take a look at this. He must have a fortune in flashes! A truly serious case of photo addiction. He HAS to be single.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave

WOW.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.