Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Native American Honeysuckles and their cultivars: again Honeysuckle

Communities > Forums > Article: Native American Honeysuckles and their cultivars
bookmark
Forum: Article: Native American Honeysuckles and their cultivarsReplies: 0, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hckybreath
Keyport, NJ

December 25, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #8276486

I'm doing an exhibit about a local poet here in N.J. although he's known as " the Poet of the American Revolution " ...he did poeticize occasionally about plants; and among his most famous is " The Wild Honeysuckle " ...so I'm using that as a point of departure as to what plants he might actually be referring to; and I'm guessing that it would be L. Sempervirens "Trumpet Honeysuckle "... and then L. Americana .
Problem with the first is that Sepervirens pertains to it's evergreen nature in the south; and I haven't been able to find when or how it got this far north...
Problem with the 2nd, " Americana " is that all I've been able to find out so far that it's called " Americana " only because it was hybridized here from two Mediterranean strains
L. implexa & L. etrusca; the last known as an " herbal in ancient Rome; and the first with some fairly current medicinal analysis; .But it would be interesting to know who actually brought those plants here and did the hybridizing;
Maybe this is getting too complicated; but I'm almost as interested in history as in gardening...Stephen Gale

Thumbnail by hckybreath
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Native American Honeysuckles and their cultivars Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you, Glynis McGlory 6 Nov 2, 2009 1:30 PM
A word to the wise... DianeEG 18 Nov 3, 2009 1:19 PM
Honeysuckle for Shade in Zone 9 ceilifinnigan 3 Nov 2, 2009 1:46 PM
Fragrant Honeysuckle bambamvz 5 Nov 7, 2009 2:06 AM
Honeysuckle ron_leddy 0 Feb 10, 2010 9:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America