Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Chucklette
Green Bay, WI

December 26, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #8277498

With another gardening season behind us, it's fun to look back on the photos and plot and scheme for next year. Despite the torrential rains and mosquitoes, 2010 was rewarding and fun! Take a look:

http://www.pbase.com/gail_vann/garden_2010
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

December 26, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #8277532

What zone are you in that you can grow Jap. maple and magnolia shrub?
Your gardens are beautiful and seem to be weed free.
Mine have [some] have turned to major quack grass refuge's.

Maxine
mattsmom
Tomah, WI

December 27, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #8278433

Wow Chucklette, Your gardens are glorious! Like photos right out of a garden magazine! The devil is in the details, & you have nailed the details! Love your "gecko"? patio! That awesome free form chair is a piece of art, & your kitty is so whimsical! Perfection!!!!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8305850

What lovely gardens! Chases away the winter blues temporarily. :)

You have some great bergenias in those shots. Which cultivar is that? I love the blooms and darker coloring.
Chucklette
Green Bay, WI

January 15, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8311933

Maxine,
We are in zone 4b/5a. The maple is not a Japanese, but rather a Korean (acer pseudosieboldianum)--a great hardy (zone 4-7) substitute for Japanese maple with excellent fall color. The magnolia is a cultivar called 'Ann'--it's been in place for 5 years without any problems. I like its deep purple-red color and the fact that it reblooms sporadically throughout the summer. We also have several 'Merril' Magnolias with white flowers, but they bloom so early in spring that the flowers are sometimes blackened by a late cold snap. 'Leonard Messel' is another magnolia that is hardy in zone 4, with more frost-resistant flowers.

KaylyRed,
The bergenia is a cultivar called 'Eroica' The flower color is quite striking, and welcome at a time when little else is blooming. The fall color of the foliage is great too.

Thanks all for the nice comments!
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

January 15, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8312086

Green Bay must be in a temperate zone due to the lake effect?

Where did you purchase your trees as I am very interested in trying them. When we visited in Augusta, Georgia in the spring those Magnolia's were too die for!! Along with the azaleas.

Any pictures of said trees?
Nosy aren't I?

Maxine

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8312369

What gorgeous gardens!! perfect eye candy for these dreary winter days.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8312373

IN image IMGP4589.jpg

what is the plant with the purple foliage? behind Heuchera 'Marmalade'

It looks like a Penstemon.

it's gonna be on my "gotta have list"

Terese
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

January 16, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8313177

Chucklette, I owe you an apology. I skip over so many things when I don't have time to actual look.
Those tree's are drop dead gorgeous!

Now to find them. Maybe in the twin cities?

Maxine
Chucklette
Green Bay, WI

January 16, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8313474

Terese,
The plant you asked about with the purple foliage is Sedum 'Purple Emperor'--a very nice plant indeed.

Maxine,
I purchased the magnolias at local nurseries here in Green Bay. They shouldn't be too hard to find--good luck in your search!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8313493

WOW -- it's so tall. I love purple Sedums, just havent gotten any yet. that one has been on my 'wants list' a long time. I was supposed to get some in trade a long time ago - but the gal forgot.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8339672

Just found this here...Chucklette your gardens are drop dead GORGEOUS. Oh to be so lucky to have that kind of spread.

I'm in zone 5a and mine never looked even close to that good. Although I thought so at one time. I definitely need to do some refurbishing on mine...

Hi everyone. Are you surviving the winter? I am definitely not liking the forecast for Monday through Wednesday night. Not when it might dump 19.8 inches of snow my way. tcs, you're in Illinois right? You're supposed to get it worse than us according to out Weather Liars...Kenosha county is looking at 25 inches...

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8339694

Cece -- yes, IL currently. the weather liars have been wrong all season where we are concerned. so -- i'm not holding my breathe for anything over 6".

I think on the high side, we've gotten 15" all season!! they says 3" we get a dusting... 6-9 " and we get 1-2"

so -- we shall see. Remind me around Wed for a report. LOL.

And I agree with you on her gardens. absolutely stunning!!
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8340228

We're supposed to get anywhere between 8-16" starting sometime today and ending Wednesday night. Blizzard watch, too. Fun!

The National Weather Service website says:

NEEDLESS TO SAY THIS COULD BE A HISTORIC BLIZZARD CAPABLE OF
PARALYZING PARTS OF SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN.

I, for one, am totally ready for winter to be over any time now. (Yes, I know it's only the end of January, but I'm still ready.) Can I get an amen?

This message was edited Jan 31, 2011 8:23 AM

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8340243

AMEN!!

our forecast says... 1-2' -- well that is a huge difference. I still say we will get about 6" because they have been wrong all season.

but -- going shopping this afternoon to stock up on food, just in case.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8340289

AMEN to that. We went shopping yesterday BEFORE we heard the weather forecast. I'm thinking Ed had better run and pick up more bread, milk and eggs. :) Oh a soda too:)

It is snowing now. Not real hard but they were saying 3-5 by Tuesday morning. Then starting again Tuesday afternoon with the blowing, drifting hard snow. BIL will happy with that he plows snow in the winter and hasn't had all that much to do this year. He will be a busy beaver if things come to pass as they say.

I soooooo want an early spring like last year. The first weekend of April last year is when we dug the new pond in short sleeves and hubby wore shorts a couple days...

Thinking won't get that this year...:(

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America