Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bromeliads: Lowe's Rescue...Please help ID

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 11, Views: 163
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #8278068

Last month our local Lowe's had a lone basket of broms drastically reduced from $34 to $8. The bloom stalk on this one was dried up so I cut it back and wondered who might be able to ID it by the foliage?

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #8278073

That wrinkly brown thing curled up at 2 o'clock is the tail of a ceramic Squirrel I added to the basket...lol
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2010
3:41 AM

Post #8278302

Usually when the center has bloomed and drys up, it is ready to make pups. I wouldn't take out all the leaves. Only clean up the center that is dead.

Sorry I can't help with the ID, but is you'd like to view some gorgeous ones go to Jacksbromeliads.com.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #8278605

Thank you, Peg.
digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #8283696

Looks like Vriesea spendens or maybe one of it's hybrids. If so, it's an "upper pupper" meaning that the often lone pup comes up right in the center of the old plant. I agree with peg, to leave the center dry.

dave
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8316258

Thank you, Dave. An "upper pupper" it is and now has one that's about 4" tall. Just curious what an appropriate size it should be to remove it and what's the best method? Or should I leave the plant alone? Is this one where the mother completely dies back?

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2011
4:10 AM

Post #8316627

Broms like to be say "root bound". I would not repot it at this time. I would cut off any leaves that turned brown. Do not pull them use a scissors.
digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8330988

Since the old leaves will interefere somewhat with the ability to make new roots (since the "stem" is elongating), I would remove any leaves that are mostly dried/dead. The safe way to do this - and this applies to many tropicals whose lower leaf sheaths wrap almost all the way around the base - is to split the leaf in half right down the middle, then gently pull one half of the leaf away from its center to the side. (Sounds confusing huh..) Since Bromeliad leaves have parallel"veins" just take a knife and make a slit at the leaf tip and split the entire leaf in two.

I've been meaning to post this simple technique here in a series of pictures - maybe this will incent me to do it.

Dave
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9025466

Just stumbled across this interesting tidbit of information Dave, thank you.

I am curious, I understand splitting the leaf lengthwise and thanks to your explanation, I understand why.

But I read your comment " gently pull one half of the leaf away from its center to the side ", I am guessing you don't remove only one half the leaf and leave one half on the plant. LOL

Did you ever do a photo tutorial?

I had picked up a sad guzmannia that was loaded with pups. Wishing I had know this. When I removed the dead foliage, I suspect I damaged the pups. I only have two that are malingering.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9025489

Oh my goodness, I have never heard of an upper pupper. I have one similar to the rescue pictured above, I am going to run right out and empty the throat, I had been watering it like the other broms. THANK YOU
digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9026209

Poor writing on my part. I should have said, "...pull each half of the leaf away from the center cut to the side." The leaf will split all the way to its base and easily come off in two pieces.

I wouldn't worry too much about the center rotting. These are rain forest plants and the "tea" that forms inside the cups in nature is pretty yucky. Its a mix of rain water, bugs alive and dead, bug droppings, dead leaves, etc. That's mother nature's way of fertilizing them.

dave
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9026419

Sincerely, I was just teasing. I did understand and think that is a great Brom tip.

It will stick in my peabrain forever! Thanks Kristi

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America