Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Will the REAL sugarplum please do a pirouette?: Sleeping in a hat

Communities > Forums > Article: Will the REAL sugarplum please do a pirouette?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Will the REAL sugarplum please do a pirouette?Replies: 11, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #8279844

Nightcaps were pretty common in "the olden days" when I was a kid.

Adults wore them and mothers made caps out of thick, soft fabric like diaper material for the babies and children.

Reason was, if your only source of heat was a fireplace or woodstove that you banked at night, it would get cold enough to freeze water in your house each winter night and you really needed something to keep your ears warm.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #8280693

Of course, it makes perfect sense. I love when my articles evoke memories I would otherwise just be reading about in books. Thanks for your intelligent comment!
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8290613

As long as you keep writing those articles that bring back our memories, I'm sure we'll all be pleased to share them in return for the joy we get in having your articles bring back those memories for us.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8290682

Awww... you're so sweet. Next one is due out 1/6/11, but it's about REALLY old stuff. You don't remember anything from the time of the pharaohs, do you?
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8290751

My grandchildren seem to think I shouldn't have any problem with that . . .

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8290902

I'll show them! Stick 'em up!

How old are they -- your grandchildren? My oldest is ten; he lives in Utah and we barely ever get to see the family. :( He is the oldest of four, ranging from him down to 6 months old. Then he has a cousin in Atlanta whom we've never even met -- he's just a few weeks old. And I have a new nephew due in March. Does it seem like more boys are being born?
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8291245

I have 6, 8 - 19. Even split between boys and girls. I see all except the oldest boy who is 15, fairly often. My daughter and her 2 boys live in a city about 2 hrs away, so I get down to see them only every couple of months, with a week in the summer and the big family dinner on Boxing Day (Dec 26th).

I hope there aren't more boys being born since my dad always said that happened before both world wars, and though neither of us could figure out how nature knew before-hand that there would be a huge war, he always swore it was so. Likely anecdotal though.

I do enjoy my time with the kids though and have recently started taking each one, starting at the oldest, for a week in February to Mexico so we can hang out, just the two of us, and bond a bit before they enter the hormone storms. Number 3 coming up this year. So far it's been great fun. I recommend that to all grandparents. One-on-one time is such a different thing than family time.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8291778

That's a lovely idea - my mother used to spend time with each of us (there are four) children, when we were grade school age. Every week (or every month?) one kid one go out to dinner with Mom all by him/herself! It was quite amazing (as a child, at least).

And oh, February in Mexico, drooooll droooollllll.
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8303329

Yes, anywhere warm in winter. I just can't live through a whole winter here comfortably without some recharge time in the sun. I would love to spend a couple weeks but can't take the kids out of school for that long - their teachers get crabby, and I WILL NOT travel on spring break, ever.

Found a really nice place in Mexico though - eco preserve area, pretty much apart from any nonsense, beautiful and close to several little villages where I can take the kids to widen their horizons a bit.

Isn't it nice to have that special time? I can remember the special times with my parents - not usually planned as yours were (your parents must have been very aware to realise how special that time would be) but just by happenstance, but very special nonetheless.

We're the same zone, so are you up to your elbows in seed catalogues and dreams?

And which state are you? For the life of me, no matter how often someone tells me, I can't keep the M state shortforms straight!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8304953

My parents were very divorced!

I'm up to my windows in snow - everyone's frantically clearing out the grocery store of anything worthwhile - BIG storm tomorrow.

MA = Massachusetts
ME = Maine

Those are the ones I need to know! I think MS is Mississippi and MO is Missouri and MN is Minnesota but don't quote me.
Hmm, is it alphabetical east to west? mA (best) mO mS mN? I have no clue. I live so near to Maine that I know just where it is, but the rest of the middle is strange to me. I know certain states if I've been there but otherwise ... but people in the US don't know what MA stands for either!
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8316003

Hope you survived the storm all in one piece, with no damage to you, your loved ones or your home.

None of my grandkids can get a passport in time, though I told them and their parents to get started in August and reminded them in October. Both sides have had some nastiness and split marriages, so things just not going smoothly.

So anyway, with my winter vacation budget, I have booked a trip for myself for two weeks to Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. Someplace I have always wanted to see, and now I'm going to see it - AND get warm!! YAHOO!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8316114

My mother, who lives just a few towns away, hasn't had phone or internet for 4-5 days. Sorry about your grandchildren, but your trip sounds lovely! I wish ...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Will the REAL sugarplum please do a pirouette? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sugarplum Hemophobic 7 Dec 12, 2009 5:35 PM
What were those... threegardeners 7 Dec 27, 2010 1:02 PM
Mmmmm gwen21 3 Dec 14, 2009 9:15 PM
My Family''s Version eskarp 7 Dec 31, 2010 9:35 AM
sugarplum edrcook1 1 Dec 16, 2009 9:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America