-
AuthorContent
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #8280560

Hi everyone! You are all so good at cooking, I just know you will be able to help me. Our group at church is working with one of the grade schools in our area that has a large population of low-income families. We've taken care of warm clothing, but want to make sure the tummies of the children are full with warm food at dinner time.

My part is to put together 14 or so easy/fast recipes using inexpensive foods such as rice, beans, noodles, veggies and small amounts of meat or other protein source. Most of the parents work several part time jobs and aren't home for long recipe cooking. We are collecting crock pots and plan to hold a cooking class for 5th graders and a parent to teach them how to use them, and how to use dry beans and to cook rice instead of buying instant, etc., so some of the recipes should be able to be cooked in a crock pot.

Any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated. Thank you all, and gentle hugs. Cathy

planolinda
Plano, TX

December 28, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #8280670

red beans and rice-inexpensive, easy, healthy and can add little bit of smoked sausage for meat
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #8280688

Thanks Linda, that is a great suggestion.
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

December 28, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #8281004

Crock pots are a great idea to promote and educate on how to use. A real time-saver for parents who work!
I would suggest showing how to use inexpensive cuts of pork to make pulled pork. Always a hit at our house.
Also, educate how to slow-cook a chicken, turkey legs, etc. A lot of the cheaper a.k.a. tougher cuts of meat can be so delicious cooked in a crock pot.

There are lots of crockpot recipe books out there. Perhaps it would be good to purchase them along with the crock pots for the families.

As a retired upper-elementary teacher, I can tell you that the kids will love to learn to cook, especially when they get the reward of eating what they make and helping their families.

Good luck.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #8281037

Thank you for your input H, some of the others thought 5th grade was too young for meal cooking, I pushed this issue, between crock pots and microwaves, it should be plenty safe. My kids were all cooking by then because that's when I went back to work full time.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #8281056

Get some Ramen noodles and add chicken, beef, hamburger and spaghettie sauce or any sauce - it's hot, nutritious, easy and ready in a few minutes! I just made a dish for my Grandson - his request: a package of shrimp flavored Ramen noodles, a can of cream of chicken soup, a cup of milk, bring all to a boil and there you have it!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #8281266

Cathy--
This is one of my favorite casseroles. It makes a large batch--not sure if this is really
in the "cheap" category--look at it and see if you want to take any shortcuts.
One ham Steak will provide enough ham for this...or you can buy a cheaper cut of ham...

MACARONI, HAM, AND CHEESE CASSEROLE

6-8oz. (dry) elbow, bow knot, or any other small macaroni
(cooked per directions and drained)
4-6 Tbsp. Butter or Margarine
4 eggs
1 ¾ cup light cream or 1/2 and ½
½ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Pepper—or to taste for both
1 tsp. Dry Mustard
½ tsp. Paprika
3 cups good, cooked ham in ¼” dice
1 ½ cups shredded, sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 onion—minced
1—10oz. Pkg. Frozen peas (optional) for color

Cheese Crumb topping (recipe at the end)

DIRECTIONS:
***Have all dicing and shredding done ahead of time!*****
In a 9x11x3 casserole dish (or similar)—(half a disposable foil pan works great):

--Put drained, hot macaroni into the casserole pan.
--Toss cooked macaroni with the butter/margarine.
--Lightly beat eggs with a small amt. of the cream. Add all seasonings and whisk
until well incorporated. Add remaining cream.
--Mix the ham, onion and cheese into the macaroni and pour cream mixture over
the top.

--Sprinkle top with cheese crumb topping. (Can be frozen at this stage).

--Bake in a 375degree oven for 45min.-1 hour until firm and bubbly.
--Serves 8-10.

CHEESE CRUMB TOPPING:
Combine ½ cup shredded, sharp Cheddar Cheese with 2-3 Tbsp. Of fine, dry bread crumbs and 2-3 Tbsp. of melted butter/margarine. Sprinkle over casserole.

Note: Do not fill pan to the top. This may bubble over as it bakes.

***This freezes VERY well. To use, thaw out in the fridge and bake as usual.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #8281281

Here's another one--in the sweets category.
This is unbelievably good!

NO BAKE SALTINE/CARAMEL/CHOCOLATE CRISPS
(from Gita)

1-Line a cookie sheet with foil—the non-stick (“Release”) works great.
Can also use Parchment paper.

2-Line pan with a single layer of Saltines—all touching-solid.

3-In a saucepan, melt together:
--1 cup butter/margarine (or mix of)
--1 cup sugar ( I use less…maybe 2/3c.—too sweet!)

4- Stir continuously over low heat until partially caramelized and pulling away from sides and bottom. (wood spoon works best)

5- Carefully pour/spread this over saltine layer….( I use the wood spoon to drizzle it over the hot base, then spread it even with a soft spatula).
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. (The butter mixture will melt and soak
into the Saltine crackers forming a crust)

6- Remove from oven and immediately spread a 12oz. Package of Chocolate Chips over the hot cracker base. The chips will melt. If not melting—put back in oven for a bit. Then use the spatula to spread the chocolate—covering everything evenly.

7-Sprinkle top with your choice of chopped nuts or candy Sprinkles—or whatever..
I like Pecans—but some may prefer Walnuts.

Cool. Then cover pan with foil and refrigerate!

8-When completely cooled, break into pieces (like Peanut Brittle) and store in airtight cookie tins.

***These are beyond yummy and totally addictive!

Here's a yummy soup that is really inexpensive to make...

"Special Potato Soup"--

2-3 stalks celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped (I like onion--so I used two!)
2 tablespoons butter, melted (I used bacon drippings)
6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (I used 8)
2 carrots, sliced (or more--depends on size)
3 cups water (I used low-salt, fat free Chicken Broth/stock)
5 chicken flavored bouillon cubes ( I did not use--see above!)
3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt (did not use!)
1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed (I have fresh in my garden. Also added Onion Powder)
dash of garlic powder
dash of pepper
2 cups milk (I used 2 cups 1/2 and 1/2 and made the rest up with milk--OR
You can also use 1 can Evaporated milk + water)
1 cup (4 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese

TO DO:
Saute celery and onion in butter in a large Dutch oven until tender.
Add next 9 ingredients; cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Remove from heat and mash vegetables with potato masher or put through blender or food processor.
Add milk and cheese. Cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 cups.

(comments from me after I made the second batch)

I have made it twice now...using my cast iron Dutch oven.

Of course--I tweaked a few things here and there--like, I browned some diced bacon and used that fat instead of butter to brown the onions and celery in. Put the bacon bits back into the soup at the end and also some diced, smoked ham. (Seems they just "belonged!")
I also added a few other spices...Onion Powder--a bit of Caraway seed and fresh Rosemary from my garden.
Bought some low-salt, fat-free, home-style Chicken Broth. Added no extra salt to the soup--lots of pepper.
I did not use a processor--just my masher and gently mashed everything in the pot with that. The soup was a bit chunky--but SOOO good!

The second time I used half-and-half.
The first time i did not have it--so used some Evaporated milk+ water. Second batch was much better.+++

Gita

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #8281358

Thank you Gita and Kay, very good ideas and easy to make.
planolinda
Plano, TX

December 29, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #8281802

i think hearty soups are the healthiest and very inexpensive
minestrone has lots of veggies, can use a little meat or none and is very filling--i like to make it from scratch but i know there must be super easy recipes using canned veggies etc---i think it depends on how easy you want it to be

also --is there an ethnicity that you might want to think about?
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #8281835

Linda, this area has a wonderful ethnic mix, so I'm trying to add a little of each. Minestrone sounds wonderful, I might even make some for dinner, haha.
planolinda
Plano, TX

December 29, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #8281918

what are some of the ethnicities? i love ethnic foods and i think teaching the kids both their own and other ethnicities is important
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #8282534

We have middle east, bosnian, areas of africa (recent arrivals,) hispanic, caribbean and asia, isn't this wonderful? It has been hard for the school to meet some of the language needs, but the children pick up on things so fast.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #8282606

There are a number of books out that are called "5 ingrediants or less" or 3 or 4. These cookbooks have many recipes that are good and just right for working parents wanting to fix a hot meal when they are tired or short of time. Also I am sure there are recipies like that on line.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #8282610

Thank you for that suggestion, I'll do a search for those.
planolinda
Plano, TX

December 30, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #8283446

i like the idea of very few ingredients for 5th graders cooking--the simpler the better
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #8283560

My daughter's friend sent a recipe, it sounded awful to me but it was tasty. I would make it with low-salt soup. My grandkids loved it:

Tater tot casserole:

One pound of ground turkey thawed but not cooked
One pound bag of frozen mixed vegetables
One can Cream of Chicken soup thinned with
One half cup skim milk
One pound bag of tater tots
Optional: cheese

She greased a 9x11 pan
Crumble the ground turkey in the bottom of the pan (uncooked)
Top with the frozen vegetables
Pour the soup over the top of the vegetables
Put one layer of tater tots on top

Cook at 425 for 35 to 45 minutes. Check after 25 minutes. If the tater tots are getting too browned, turn down to 325 to finish cooking.

Top with american cheese triangles or sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

I would describe this as similar to a chicken pot pie, kid style.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #8283822

Instead of spending the cash to buy a book, maybe print out then copy the recipes you collect and either stick them in a binder, or if you have the machine at school that will soft bind them, do that. heck, if worst comes to worst, just hole punch them and use those plastic wire ties to hold them together.

I'll try to dig up a few for you, but this one I love, it makes a hearty soup I don't think they should be chopping the onion or garlic, but maybe a parent could do that the night before for them?

Crock Pot Posole

o 2 14-1/2-ounces cans golden hominy, drained
o 1 4-ounce can chopped green chili peppers, undrained
o 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
o 2 cloves garlic, minced
o 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or or thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
o 1 14-1/2 ounce can tomatoes, undrained and cut up
o 2 14-1/2 ounces cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
o 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
o 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
o 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
o Fat-free dairy sour cream (optional)

Directions

Place hominy, chili peppers, onion, garlic, chicken, tomatoes, chicken broth, oregano, and cumin in a 3-1/2, 4-, or 5-quart crockery cooker. Cover and cook on low setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Stir in cilantro. Garnish each serving with fat-free sour cream, if desired. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #8283827

Chicken & White Bean Soup

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
1 cup Chicken Broth
1 cup Picante Sauce (Salsa will work, or just tomatoes with chillies)
3 cloves garlic
2 t. cumin
1 cup dry white beans ( I use great northern)
1 can whole kernel corn
1 onion

Stir the chicken, broth, picante sauce, garlic, cumin, beans, corn and onion in a 3 1/2-quart slow cooker.

Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours or until the chicken is cooked through.

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #8283833

Crock Pot Beans

1 pound dried beans, such as black beans, kidney beans, black-eyed peas, great northern beans or pinto beans
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
5 cups hot water

They can soak the beans overnight, or rinse well before putting into crock pot.

Put everything in slow cooker and then pour in hot water. Cook on low 8-9 hours or high 3 to 4 hours.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #8283838

Thanks Melissa, those sound easy and yummy.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #8283862

This is a big favorite of my families:

2 lbs of diced chicken breasts
1 pkg of Pillsbury pie crusts (in refrigerator section)
2 cans of Veg-all (drained)
2 cans of Campbell Cream of Soup (your choice)

Cut the chicken breasts in to cubes and place in skillet with just enough oil fry until done. Drain Veg-all and add to chicken. Mix in soup and a little milk to make creamy. Season to taste.
In a deep dish pie pan spread out one of the crusts. Now add chicken mixture.
Cover with second pie crust crimping the edges. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour or pie crust is brown.

The last time I made this I spread out the pie crust in a 8" square pan. It did not look very special but the left overs disappeared the next night.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #8284016

That sounds really good Sandy.

Cathy you're welcome... I'd be lost without my crockpot, I use it a lot, it makes my evenings go much smoother after I get home from work. :) I just need to find some more less meaty recipes. ;)
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #8284159

You've all been such a help, thanks. Melissa, we wouldn't eat many nights if it wasn't for the crock pot. Your comment gives me an idea, I think I'll look for vegetarian crock pot recipes.

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #8285322

Here's an easy soup that we like, and it would still be nutritious without the sausage.

Crock Pot Black Eyed Pea Soup
Ingredients

1 1/4 cup dried black eyed peas, uncooked
8 ounces spicy sausage links, cooked and chopped
8 cups water plus 8 tsp chicken bouillon granules or cubes (or 8 cups chicken broth)
1 onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup celery, sliced
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
hot sauce for serving, if desired

Instructions
Pick out broken or discolored peas. Rinse, cover with water, and soak overnight. Drain.
Place all ingredients except hot sauce in a 5 to 6 qt crock pot.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hrs or on high for about 6 hrs. Add water if needed.
Ladle into bowls and add hot sauce to taste.
8 servings

Recipes -- Mostly Quick and Easy
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #8285946

Thanks Pat, the ingredients all look like things that are not too expensive and filling.
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2011
2:44 AM

Post #8287697

here is something that should provide two meals for the price of one.

buy either a bunch of fresh vegetables or a large bag of frozen vegetbles at discount stores such as BJ's or Sams club. a tthe same stores you can also pick up a package containing two chickens, a box of rice and cans of beans

take one chicken out of the package andremove the gizzard and neck etc and wash the chicken with cold water and then pat dry.

prepare the fresh veggies or he frozen ones and put half the amount into the bottom of a slow cooker. put the chicken on top and add a 1/2 cup of water and cook on low for about 6 hours.

life the chicken from the crock pot and remove the skin then shred the chicken and put it back into the pot and mix it with the vegetables.

use a laddle to scoop out the "chicken soup"

for the "other" meals cut the whole chicken in half and roast in the oven until cooked.

after they have cooled take one and remove all the skin and. cut up the meat into small cubes. add some chopped celery and some mayonnaise and you have a nice chicken salad sandwichs.

using the other half of roasted chicken as part of a rice, chicken and bean meal.

remove the skin and cut up chicken into bite sized pieces. buy a few cans of different kinds of beans and a box of rice. cook the beans with their juices in a pot and make the rice according to package directions. when the rice is done, add the beans and the chicken and stir well. you might want to add a few cups of chicken stock to make more servings.

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8287945

Thanks Herbie, very good suggestions.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8287964

Try the Goodwill or any used household items store for Crockpot cookbooks...some of these recipes sound really good!
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 2, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8288141

patrob your recipe gave me an idea for my hoppin john leftovers--turn them into soup
i turn leftover chili into soup but hadn't thought of using the last of the hoppin john that way

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8288217

Cathy, one of my kids' favorite recipes has always been Sausage, Rice and Beans:

1/2 pound bulk sausage (we like hot, but you might want to start with mild or mix it half hot/half mild, depending on the tastebuds)
1 1/2 cups rice
3 cups water
2 cans chili beans, drained

Brown sausage; drain if it was really fatty (you need a little grease but not much). Add rice, water and drained beans. Stir well; cover and cook 12-14 minutes on medium heat (watch to make sure it doesn't cook down and start sticking.) Serve with any veggies - my favorite is coleslaw, since it's a nice creamy cold complement to the hot and spicy main dish.

I liked it because it stretched a little meat a long way, especially when my boys were teenagers and ate like they had two hollow legs. I still like it for that reason - but now because we are I am trying to reduce the amount of meat in our diets, and add more vegetables and fiber.
mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8288386

Terry is that regular rice or instant rice? I always had the idea that regualr rice needed to be cooked longer than that. It looks like a good easy recipe.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8288702

Regular rice - it'll cook in 12-14 :-) Brown rice will take much, MUCH longer though.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8288964

Thanks Terry, that is a perfect fast recipe.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8289206

Cathy, I'm happy to share! I was given the recipe a long time ago by a non-cooking friend (it was her one-hit wonder, I think :-) Anyway, I always keep the ingredients on hand when I need a quick dinner that offers a lot of complex carbs and helps fill up hungry children and adults.
Sanandreyas70
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2011
3:32 AM

Post #8508083

Here's one you can modify to make it less expensive...maybe cut back on the meat.

Goulash

1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
1/2 cup onion
2 cups macaroni or egg
noodles
2 cans tomato sauce
1 can corn, drained
Cheddar cheese, shredded

Brown beef and onion then drain grease.
Cook noodles according to package directions.
Combine beef, noodles, tomato sauce and corn;
heat until hot.
Top with Cheddar cheese.

Sandra :)
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8508418

thanks Sandy
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8509657

Or substitute ground or minced pork which is less expensive than beef. One pound of meat should be enough for a dry pound of noodles in a budget recipe. You have the cheese contributing to the protein component too. If you cool the mixture and add egg or temper the egg with the warm ingredients so it won't curdle, you can add extra protein for very little money. An egg or two will not be detectable other than that it will act to bind the ingredients under the cheese. Instead of draining and discarding the corn liquid I'd use it to supplement the liquid required for cooking the noodles. It will add flavor.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8509709

The added egg is a great suggestion, something I have never thought to do. Thanks!
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8510271

This is very simple and surprisingly good. We learned to make this at Girl Scout camp when I was 10, and I made it for my family many times thereafter--with my mother nearby.

Camp Fire Goulash

1 lb. ground beef
1 can Campbell's Vegetable Soup (the original kind--not the "hearty")

Brown the ground beef and add the soup (undiluted). Simmer until thoroughly heated. Serve over noodles or mashed potatoes.

I still make a jazzed up version of this sometime. Saute some chopped onions in butter before adding beef. Add soup plus some frozen corn, tomato paste or ketchup, Kitchen Bouquet, Worcestershire Sauce, garlic salt, sometimes some green beens--serve over mashed potatoes. It's like an upside down Shepherd pie.

--pen
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8510614

Thank you, that is super simple.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8517972

Italian Round steak

1 1/2 lb round steak, cut into serving portions
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 15 1/2 jar spaghetti sauce

Combine all in slow cooker and cook 8hr on low

Very good use of a cheaper cut of meat

I also buy a brisquet and cook it 12 hrs on low in a can of coke.
Drain and shred the beef, and ad your favorite barbeque sauce
makes great sandwiches. Lou

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 24, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8518511

Lentil Soup--you don't need a recipe!

2 onions, diced
about the same volume of sliced carrots and celery as onions
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, or chop whole ones, juice included
garlic-3 cloves, chopped
parsley, chopped
1 lb. dry lentils, washed

Saute onions, carrots, and celery until the onion is translucent. Add garlic and turn a few times. Add tomato, parsley to taste, and lentils. Add about 4 cups of water and simmer for an hour or so, adding water as needed to maintain texture until lentils are cooked through but not mushy. Correct seasoning with salt and pepper.

Want this to be curried? Add a heaping tablespoon of curry powder (I use more) and cilantro instead of parsley. Want to add a ham bone? I'm sure that'd be good as well, or dice a couple of leftover Italian sausages about halfway through cooking time.

This is super cheap, freezes well, and can be served over rice to vary the recipe.

bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8520498

easy pasta dish.

1 bag frozen broccoli cuts
1 can petite diced tomatoes (drained)
parmesean (green can stuff if you have to)
3 cloves of garlic (diced)
1/3 to 1/2 c olive oil
salt and pepper
rotini pasta

cook the past and throw the broccoli in after 5 minutes ccok until the pasta is done. drain and leave in colander

in the pot you cooked the pasta in add the oil and garlic and cook until the garlic is soft. add the drained toatoes and cook for a couple of minutes. Put the macaroni and broccoli back in and add about a half a cup of cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.

This was a go to meal when I was a single mom. Cheap and great.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8521401

thank you all.

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8524070

Here are a few you could use.

Portuguese Caldo Verde with Kidney Beans

2 cups cooked kidney beans
3/4 - 1 lb. kielbasa sausage
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Large sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 wax-type potatoes
8 cups chicken
12 cups collard Greens or kale, trimmed and chopped
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp pepper

1. Cover beans with water and soak over night or use quick method by covering beans with water and bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Cover and let sit 1 hour. Drain; place back in pot and add water to cover and boil 1 to 1½ hours or until soft; add more water if need to prevent scorching.
2. Pierce the sausage, cover with water in a saucepan and bring to a boil Then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes to remove excess fat. Drain, discard the water, slice the sausage into 3/4" slices and reserve.
3. In a 7-quart Dutch oven, heat the oil, add the onions and garlic and stir, sauteing for 2-3 minutes. Drain; add cubed potatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4. Crush the potatoes lightly in the pot using a potato masher. Add the shredded greens and simmer for 15 minutes more; add the cooked beans and reserved sausage and season with salt and pepper. Makes 8 servings.

*Baking potatoes should NOT be used; they disintegrate too easily rather than maintaining their shape when lightly crushed.

Veggie Burgers

1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 medium carrot, cut into large chunks
1 onion, thinly sliced
16 oz. white beans, cooked
1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 Tb garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
Sea salt
Ground pepper

1. Cover beans with water and soak over night or use quick method by covering beans with water and bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Cover and let sit 1 hour. Drain; place back in pot and add water to cover and boil 1 to 1½ hours or until soft; add more water if need to prevent scorching.
2. In a small saucepan bring the water to a boil; add rice, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid is absorbed, 12 to 14 minutes; set aside.
3. In a food processor, pulse carrot until finely chopped. Add cooked rice, half the onion, beans, breadcrumbs, egg, cumin, salt, and pepper; pulse until combined but still slightly chunky. Add remaining onion.
4. Form mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. If too soft, refrigerate 10 minutes to firm. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium; cook burgers until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes per side.

Puerto Rican Sofrito Beans and Rice

1 green bell pepper, cut into quarters
1 small onion, cut into quarters
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1¼ tsp sea salt, divided
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
2 medium tomatoes, chopped or 14oz can no-sodium added diced tomatoes
8 oz no-sodium added tomato sauce
16 oz cooked black beans
16 oz cooked red beans
2 cups water
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice

2. To make sofrito: place bell pepper, onion and cilantro in a food processor; process until finely chopped or use mortar and pestle to grind finely.
3. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sofrito, garlic 1/2 teaspoon salt, cumin and ground red pepper; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce; cook 5 minutes. Stir in beans; cook five minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine water, rice and remaining salt in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Serve bean mixture with rice. Makes 8 servings.

Aquene(Peace),
WautuckquesSochepo(SnowRabbit)
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

This message was edited Apr 28, 2011 1:54 PM
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8524341

thank you, and peace.

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8526622

Here are a few more.

Chicken Cutlets with Victory Garden Gravy
4 chicken cutlets
1/2 cup milk
3 tbsp flour
14½ oz low/no-sodium chicken broth
2 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
1 cup frozen peas & carrots, thawed
1 tbsp fresh chive, snipped (or 2 tbsp dried chives)
1/2 cup can (no-sodium added) diced tomato, drained
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (or 2 tbsp dried parsley)
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
2 cups cooked bowtie pasta

1. Cook pasta according to package directions, but omitting salt and fat; set aside and keep warm.
2. Whisk together milk and flour in small bowl. Combine milk mixture and chicken broth in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; add broccoli and peas & carrots. Simmer 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, chives, parsley, salt and pepper.
3. Heat oil in separate large skillet over medium heat until hot. Cook cutlets 2 to 2½ minutes on each side or until no longer pink in center. Serve with gravy and pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Makes 4 servings.

Persian Chicken Cutlets with Vegetable Rice
3 tbsp lemon juice
4 tsp olive oil, divided
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
4 chicken cutlets
2 cups low/no-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
2 tsp mustard
1 tsp honey
1½ cups peas & carrots

1. Combine lemon juice, 2 teaspoons oil, cinnamon, salt, pepper and turmeric in large zip-top food storage bag. Gently knead ingredients in bag to mix; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
2. Combine chicken broth, rice, mustard and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered 15 minutes. Stir in peas & carrots. Cook, covered 5 minutes or until water is absorbed.
3. Remove chicken from bag and gently shake to remove excess marinade. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Cook cutlets 2 to 2½ minutes on each side or until no longer pink in center. Makes 4 servings.

Creamy Tuna and Rice
2½ cups steamed broccoli florets
4 cups cooked long-grain rice
12 oz tuna, drained and flaked
2 tbsp margarine
1/4 cup flour
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1/2 cup no/low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 200°F.
2. Combine broccoli and rice in medium ovenproof casserole. Add tuna; toss lightly to combine. Place casserole in oven.
3. Melt margarine in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth paste forms. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until smooth. Cook and stir 2 to 4 minutes or until mixture thickens. Add chicken broth; stir until mixture thicken again. Stir in Parmesan, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper, then remove from heat.
4. Remove casserole from oven and pour sauce over rice mixture; toss gently. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.

Aquene(Peace),
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8526832

Yummy, thank you.

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2011
9:44 AM

Post #8528373

Koonepeam (You are welcome)!

Aquene(Peace),
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8529142

When I cook dry beans in my crock pot I add 2 cans if 97% FF chicken broth and 1 can of water. It makes the broth thicker and it tastes like it was cooked with meat when it actually wasn't. Makes the beans nearly FF and you saved on met without sacrificing the taste.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8529199

Excellent suggestion, thank you.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2011
11:15 PM

Post #8529582

You are welcome. Thank you for what you are doing to help the less fortunate. At times, I have been "the less fortunate" and always appreciated thos who went out of their way for me.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8530025

We were there years ago, too, when the kids were little. I had a neighbor who was so kind to me, I think of her and pay it forward.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2011
9:55 PM

Post #8536052

I believe that is God's way.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8536579

The class went really well (well, in my opinion.) Each family that needed a crock pot received one, along with some simple kitchen tools and copies of recipes, plus a bag of starter groceries and some basic spices. The kids had a ball. We made a spicy vegetable soup with beans. I made a large crock that morning so everyone could eat it. A friend made some quick chef-style aprons in the school color (green/white).

The kids practiced cutting up the onions, they peeled vegetables and cut them into chunks. They seeded a green pepper and chopped it. Can opener time was their biggest struggle, the cheaper brands don't have the pop-tops yet (tomato with green chilies.) They measured out beans that I had soaked that morning. My son covered cleanliness and food safety. (he's an inspector at the food plant where he works.) We showed them how they can prep the night before and put things in right before they leave for school.

We had 7 families. The hardest part with the parents was language, the kids translated as we went along, it went slow at times. We had one volunteer at each table of 2 families, I would change that to 1 on 1 next time and limit the class to 10.

Thank you all for the recipes, the kids were going through them before the class started, they were excited.

I'm upset with myself that I didn't think ahead to take pictures, I think the kids would have liked that.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8537667

I am so glad it went well. Sounds like lots of fun!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8542643

I'm glad it went well too! I'm wondering if we should do something like that... we're a high poverty school... teenagers should handle the kitchen a little better than gradeschoolers... but who knows. I took the ingredients for my kids to make mug cakes this winter, and they were absolutely amazed with it, and I had kids who weren't in my class stopping in and asking if they could make one. LOL
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8542850

Teens in the kitchen is a natural, they are always hungry! That is when my son started cooking, he liked to bake and make pastas. He's actually quite good now, makes a mean cream sauce, yummy.

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2011
9:23 PM

Post #8544996

Here is another recipe.

Vegetable Risotto
2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup onions, diced
3/4 cup celery, diced
3/4 cup carrot, diced
3/4 cup bell pepper, diced
3 garlic clove, minced
3 cup low/no sodium chicken broth (sub. vegetable broth)
3 oz uncooked long-grain rice
1 can cannellini beans
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp Romano cheese
2 tbsp + 1½ tsp sesame seeds, toasted

In large saucepan heat oil over medium heat; add onion, celery, carrot, bell pepper and garlic and sauté until vegetables are tender-crisp. Stir in broth, rice, and cannellini beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in sesame seeds, Parmesan and Romano cheeses Serve hot. Makes 6 servings.

Aquene(Peace),
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2011
11:00 PM

Post #8545066

That sounds really good, thank you!

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8545358

Koonepeam (You are welcome).

Aquene(Peace),
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8603659

cathy, what a great idea! I'm going to mention this to some friends and see if we can do something similar in conjunction with our church's food pantry - maybe we can organize it for this fall as the weather gets cooler and people start wanting soups and slow-cooked foods.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8603674

Thanks Terry. With school out I'm hoping the kids will cook for their families so they don't eat junk every day. Thanks to everyone who sent recipes!

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8603867

More recipes.

Pork and Noodles

12 oz lean boneless pork, trimmed of fat and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cups fresh/frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrot blend
3 cups (4 oz) dried plain or curly noodles
1 can cream of celery soup, undiluted
1 cup low/no-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup water
1/4 tsp dried marjoram, crushed
1/4 tsp thyme, crushed
1/4 tsp black pepper

In 12-inch skillet with temperature set on medium-high, heat oil until hot. Add meat cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until meat is slightly pink in the center.
Stir in vegetables, uncooked noodles, soup, chicken broth, water, marjoram, thyme and black pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally. Makes 4 servings.

Kitchen Stew

28 oz plain stewed tomatoes
20 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups fresh or frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup dry pasta (elbow, shells, wagon wheel...)
1 tsp dried Italian herb mix
2 cups water

Combine all ingredients in medium pot. Place on the stove on medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until pasta is cooked, about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on pasta size. Makes 4 servings.

Aquene(Peace),
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8604053

Those sound good, I know the kids could make the Kitchen Stew.
muttlover
Quincy, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8636847

This one doesn't involve a crock pot but it's very filling and fairly cheap (and I love it.) Mubabeche Sandwiches
Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil (because this recipe is messy).
Put down 6 halves of hamburger buns, inside up.
Smear mustard on each bun.
Put 2 small slices of cooked bacon on each bun.
Divide a large can of pork and beans or vegetarian baked beans, putting one 6th of it over each bun. I especially like the beans that come with onions in them.
Put a slice of American cheese on top of each 1/2 sandwich.
Broil for about 8 minutes or so until it's warm and the cheese is melted.
Eat with a fork.
muttlover
Quincy, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8636862

A few years ago the oven broke on my stove and I could only use my crock pot and the stove part to cook. That's when I found out you could make meat loaf in a crock pot. I don't remember the recipe now but I found this one at Mr. Food's site:
Serves: 6

Cooking Time: 6 hr

Ingredients
2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 pounds ground beef (see Notes)
1/2 pound hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups ketchup, divided
3/4 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers
2 eggs
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
Instructions
Place potatoes in bottom of a 3-1/2-quart (or larger) slow cooker.

In a large bowl, combine beef, sausage, onion, 3/4 cup ketchup, cracker crumbs, eggs, and salt; mix well. Place over potatoes and pat down to form a loaf.

In the same bowl, combine brown sugar, mustard, and the remaining 3/4 cup ketchup; mix well. Spread over the top of the loaf, cover, and cook on the low setting for 6 to 10 hours. Drain off excess liquid, and serve.

Notes
We recommend using lean ground beef to minimize the amount of excess fat.
muttlover
Quincy, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8636889

Oh, and if you do it again (and it sounds like such a good idea), you might check with your local Extension office. They often have made up cookbooks or at least papers with recipes for nutritious but cheap recipes.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8636918

Thanks Mutt, I know my guys would love those recipes.
muttlover
Quincy, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8637021

And since in some of the countries they come from they don't have the mid-Illinois prejudice against either hot food or fish they might like this one. You can substitue fish sauce for the soy sauce which is suppose to make it more authentic tasting (but I hate fish). The recipe says you sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro afterwards but I'd leave that step out as too fancy to please a 5th grader.

Thai Chicken
8 chicken thighs (about 2 lbs.) skin removed
3/4 c hot salsa
1/4 c. peanut butter
2 T. lime juice
1 T. soy sauce
1 t. grated gingerroot
1/4 c. chopped peanuts
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro
Place chicken in 3 1/2- 6 qt slow cooker. Mix remaining ingredients except peanuts and cilantro and pour over the chicken. Cover and cook on low heat 8-9 hours or until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut. Remove chicken from cooker, using a slotted spoon and place on the serving platter. Remove sauce from slow cooker; skim fat from sauce. Pour sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro. 4 servings.

Easy Beans and Franks Soup
1 can (28 oz.) baked beans with bacon and brown sugar, undrained
1 can (11 1/2 oz.) 8 - vegetable juice (or tomato juice).
6 hotdogs, cut into 1 inch slices
3 medium carrots, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped (or 1/2 t. garlic powder)
1 t. Worcestershire sauce.
Mix all ingredients in 3 1/2 - 6 qt slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 - 8 hours (or high heat for 3-4 hours) until carrots are tender. 6 servings.

Chicken 'n Rice Gumbo Soup
1/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 lb. fully cooked smoke sausage (2 5" sausages) chopped
2 stalks of celery with the leaves, sliced
1 large carrot, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) stewed tomatoes, undrained
5 c. water
2 T. chicken bouillon granules
1 t. dried thyme leaves
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen cut okra, thawed
1/2 uncooked long grain rice
Red pepper sauce
Mix chicken, sausage, celery, carrot, onion, tomatoes, water, bouillon and thyme in a 4- 5 qt slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting about 7 hours or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Stir in okra and the uncooked rice. Cover and cook on high heat for 25-30 minutes until the rice is tender. Serve with red pepper sauce. 6 servings.
muttlover
Quincy, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8637091

Sorry, that's 1/2 c. uncooked long grain rice.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America