Movies in theater now

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Please bold the movie title. And we can have ourselves a nice little thread of casual movie reviews to check on for recent movies, or when they come to 'video.'

True Grit --we liked a lot. (Parents and two teenage boys) Jeff Bridges was great in John Wayne's character, Rooster Cogburn. I didn't remember much of the original but I did recognize a few things they kept true to. Hardly recognized matt Damon. Exciting while being PG 13, a rare quality these days.

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

We loved True Grit also. Matt Damon can actually act, unlike Glen Campbell in the original. It was nice seeing a child playing a childs role unlike Kim Darby who was a young lady. Jeff Bridges deserves at least an Oscar nomination for his part. I especially loved the midnight ride near the end of the movie.

Agreed on Bridges. he was just super. Loved how he got off his horse to shoot cornbread, all drunk! and the Coen brothers directing, seems like they aren't afraid to linger on a scene, like that one, or the river crossing.
I am sure we'll see more of the actress

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes, I liked this one also. I can't say that I like the original one or this one better. They are the same story, yet different.
I called Blockbusters movie rentals in my area to rent the origianl one. They do not have it. I wanted to get it because the younger ones in the family never saw it.

Our library has some of the older flicks.
Another recent movie we saw
Unstoppable PG 13, Denzel Washington, Chris somebody (Pine?) A freight train with toxic cargo is let loose on the track and threatens to crash in small city in PA, but Denzel and Chris decide to save the day. Good characters, fast paced for the whole movie, yet not bloody, good choice for teens with parents so nobody is bored or embarrassed.

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

Saw 'The Kings Speech' yesterday and I highly recommend it. Fine acting of likable characters. It does contain foul language but it's necessary for the plot.

Seminole, OK(Zone 7a)

I loved UNSTOPPABLE. It was exciting all the way through.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I really enjoyed Unstoppable as well. It was interesting to see an 'action' movie that wasn't centered around a criminal act of some kind or violence. I thought they did a terrific job. It was even more exciting because it was based on a true story.

The local scenery was authentic. Those small towns are all over the area, and just like that

My son says we should see The Fighter but I think it's left the theatres. after seeing Christian Bale on a Netflix choice, The Machinist I want to see more of him (in The Fighter)

(Zone 7a)

We went to see The Green Hornet. I liked it. Seth Rogen is not my favorite but he did quite well. Jay Chou steals the show as Kato, though. And Edward James Olmos is underused. I would like to have seen more of him.

Sounds good, DH likes to go out for action. I just don't even see the advertisements to even know what's out there.

(Zone 7a)

There is lots and lots of action. I have to say, I want that car! LOL

I want to see Black Swan next. Natalie Portman is a favorite.

Beautiful portrait of her on the cover of some magazine out now- (Just don't ask me which- saw it at the library) She's really very pretty.

(Zone 7a)

Did you see her in The Other Boleyn Girl? She's quite the actress.

No I didn't. Not sure if I've seen her in anything but Star Wars. We haven't kept up with movies very well!

(Zone 7a)

First thing I ever saw her in was a very bloody The Professional with Jean Reno. I think she was all of 13 or 14.

I just saw a still from that! (where??) and I have meant to look for it on netflix. You may have mentioned it before.

Seminole, OK(Zone 7a)

I am so NOT a fan of Seth Rogen that I don't know if I can ever watch Green Hornet. I am waiting for that caving movie that opens Feb. 4th. Although in one of the previews one of the female characters says something like "What could go wrong diving in a cave?" I think that is kind of a stupid question. lol

(Zone 7a)

Sanctum? I want to see that one, too.

Seminole, OK(Zone 7a)

Yes, thats the name of it. Not to get too much off topic but did you read about the huge cave system they found, I believe, in Vietnam? The article says its so big the cave has its own jungle and wispy clouds. I wonder if any of that story inspired the movie Sanctum?

(Zone 7a)

I haven't heard that. I have to go look it up, now.

The Kings Speech gets lots of attention in our newspaper's Oscar article, especially Colin Firth.
Sanctum looks cool but yeah that line is so predictable...I guess we won't be there for the great dialogue lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images