Florida Cit Chat #187

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi folks, It looks like the old thread with 200 post needs a fresh start.
We came from here; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1141885/
Please feel free to hop in here and gripe about the blasted freezes we have had lately. My yard looks like a dead zone. Only a few cold hardy plants remain green and most of them are weeds.

I was burgled last Friday/Sat. morning. And the tossing of my bedroom found me things I had been wondering about.
The Burglar was interrupted Sat morning in the spare room.
My friend backed out of the house and went and got her fellow. The 'B' took 39" flat screen TV, a paper shredder, and the 12 pack of Rolling Rock beer.
Didn't get any of the 3 VCRs, power tools, miscellaneous money here and there.
I have had 2 window ac units removed and the windows no one can see outside boarded up inside.
I hope it made some GM a nice Christmas Gift.
I am not even really concerned about it.
You can't control what happens in life, but you always have a choice as to how you react to anything.

I have been in Jax for this cold weather and am headed back south in the morning.
Have a great New Year.
Here's to a Healthy, Wealthy and Happy 2011.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Interactive climate zone chart

http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-florida-usda-plant-zone-hardiness-map.php

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Sidney Thank you for a new thread

Sandy

Allthingsplants, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes, thanks Sidney!

Ann

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Stu,

Don't worry about the firebush. They were made for cold winters. I have three and although they have froze back, they come back better yetter in the spring.

Sidney, sorry to hear about the break in. Guess it's a good thing you are headed south. Life's a bit better in the redneck country.

Warmer weather for the next few days. I watered all the stuff in the GH today when I got home. The heater does it's best to keep up. If I had a proper GH, it would probably do better, but, it is what it is. Only a little frost bite on some leaves, but the orchids, and other tenders will be just fine.

Molly

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

LOL, I am none the worst for whoever thought I needed to help them for Christmas. I am just glad I had what was on their 'shopping' list.
I am somewhat concerned about the non-functional Toshiba Lap Top. I think all my data is pretty innocuous. (I love spellcheck;)
My home is uninsurable, so I'm sure my non-existent co pay and yearly payments would be more than replacing the missing "stuff"!
I was planning on moving that 39 inch into another room and getting at least 46inch to go in it's place.
I have no service in Okee yet and I may leave it that way. People pay so much more attention when there is no TV background.
I was going back today, but when I left Costco I couldn't find my phone. So I came back to the house tonight. I called from my Skipe and could hear it and even see a faint light! But it took some searching to find it down the seat belt hole. ;)
I am going to load up my donkey and hardy plant to go S in the morning. I saw a small plant lit with white lights and think my donkey needs lights on it's plant.
This RV park in Okee advertises 'Minimal landscape park".
So I was thinking a few plants were not even considered. As with most places the rules apply to some of the people, some of the time. I was just interpreting it wrong. I am trying to accept turning in my Super Woman suit and will not buy more than a dozen coleus and a dozen brugs.
Molly if the native firebush is in a pot, will it still comeback? I replaced almost everything last spring and even bit off way more than I could chew. Should I water well in the morning? I should have a little statement for the Patio don't cha think?
You are welcome for the thread.
Sidney

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Sidney,

I would think the firebush will come back as long as you water it, just as you normally would with a potted plant. Even though a plant can stand the cold, they still need some hydration as the cold dries them out.

I lost almost everything in the GH last winter that was planted in the ground out there. Plants that were outside in the ground, froze back and returned. The same things in the GH froze back and died because I didn't water them and they couldn't get the rain. (Last winter was a tough one as I was working from dark to dark mostly 7 days a week. No time or energy for gardening)

This winter, I have more time, am heating in there when needed and watering more frequently.

Molly

Good morning everyone

Sandy

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Good morning and Happy New Year!
Molly I will go water again right now before I leave for the Lake.
;)
Sidney

Good morning all! Just got back from a 1/2 mile jaunt over to the ICW (I call it the river) where Pearl the BT got to run her little heart out. She'll be happy for about an hour. LOL!

Darn wish you had taken my Demon child with you!!!

Sandy

A bushed border is a happy Border .... so is a bushed Terv .... problem is --- getting them bushed!!!!

Ann

Yes!!!!! Let's see throw ball many times X 3, Had Him earn his food with his treat box, and he played with his Eggee many times to day and If I picked up the leash he would be ready to go.

Everyone have a very Safe and Happy Year !!!

Thumbnail by wren107
Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

The breeze around here smelled like smoke today, even before the fireworks started. The fire was a long way away but it was a big one according to the news:

13,000 acres have burned in a south Brevard County conservation area, and now the wildfire is considered 90 percent contained, officials said this morning.
But smoke from the fire in the 52,000-acre Three Forks Conservation Area will continue to be a problem for the next few days, the Florida Division of Forestry said. Motorists are urged to use caution, especially on Interstate 95 and on U.S. Highway 192, in south Brevard and north Indian River counties.

We had a wildfire here which got 300 ac. but came extremely close to homes --- burned the golf course grass. It's contained now but we still are dealing with the smoke as well as authorities say the smoke from Brevard & I.R. county fires.

There's a burn ban in effect here & no fireworks yet last night there were idiots shooting off fireworks!

Saint Petersburg, FL

Happy New Year to you all. May this year bring us each health, happiness, and more success in the garden. This year, I'm hoping for no more freezes!

Happy New Year

Sandy

Good morning it is raining!!!!!! Happy dance!!1

Sandy

Send it down this way! Huff & puff & blow it south.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Drizzling down here. Could use some actual rain desperately.

We had good rain and they say more is on it's way

Sandy

Saint Petersburg, FL

Good for you! We've got bupkus on the radar, but at least it's not freezing!

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

I smelled that smoke here in Okeechobee too.
There are some green echos off the east coast. They could be smoke too.
Sidney

There have been some wildfires in Okeechobee too over the month of Dec. I think they just managed to get the last one 100% contained. Then yesterday there was a fire started in Jupiter. That might be what you're seeing to the east. Some talk of that fire being arson.
Ann

Where is everyone--did y'all freeze???

Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107

Maybe they all overdid it New Years. ;-)

could be!

Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

According to La Ninya that cold snap we had is over and gone, so from now on we get a mild winter. I saw a flock of robins in Orlando yesterday. Not sure if they are going North or South, because they usually don't stay around here.
For this pic, if you lean back, you can imagine seeing Cheif Osceola in a picture frame.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

Yelp I see him, and I am hoping it will be warmer

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

I was all of those things and here in Jax, I'm cold.
Sidney

Good eye John. Isn't it cool? Didn't even have to lean back to see it clearly.

Good morning everyone

There are some very good Co Ops over on the other place if you are interested in any plants let me know what kind and dmail me and I will let you know about it.
Sandy

Thumbnail by wren107

Happy Birthday to Sandy
Happy Birthday to Sandy
Happy Birthday Dear Sandy
Happy Birthday Toooooo Yoooooou!
And Mannny Mooorrre

Thank you!!!

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Happy Birthday Sandy, sorry I was sans internet for a few days.
Sidney

Sidney thank you

Good morning everyone

Sandy

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Sandy, I just got an email with this http://www.cleaningforareason.org/
You might see if Linda can use this free cleaning service.
Sidney

Thanks I will try to call her tomorrow, she was having computer problems the last I heard

Sandy

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes, I talked to Jeremy and his computer is still in the Buddy shop being repaired.
He's coming over in the morning to help me haul stuff out of the garage. I am also unloading some misc. yard art on him.
;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.