-
AuthorContent
Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 30, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #8283291

Who on this forum practices WS in Central Texas? I'm interested in your advice, timing, types of seeds started this way. I would love to make use of this method - wonderful way to recycle milk jugs!!!

We don't get snow (maybe a few sprinkles every 10 years of so) and few freezes and when it does it last only a few hours; we're in an extreme drought with less moisture this winter, wider temp swings (20s a few mornings ago, now mid 70s today), many sunny days, few cloudy ones. Our temps are ranging 10 degrees above average (whatever that is) which could mean a very warm early Spring.

TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #8283327

BH, I'm in Brady (8a) and haven't tried WS either but like you would like some "local" input from those who do. Can't really remember but the other WS posters seem to be in warmer zones.
nbgard
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8313089

I'm in New Braunfels (8b) and have had great luck with wintersowing for the past two years. We probably have to water the jugs a bit more than some areas of the country, but it's worth it. I am getting a little bit of a late start, but have done some as late as early February with no problems, so not troubled by it.

I have tried lots of different kinds of seeds with varying success. Last year I lost a bunch of seedlings to pill bugs and did not realize what was eating my plants until I had lost so many. I am prepared for them this year! If there are some particular types of seeds you are wondering about, let me know and I'll tell you what my success rate was with them.

Interestingly enough, my WS efforts were not as successful last winter when we had more rain than the year before when we were in a drought.

Tonya

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8316291

seems there are quite a few Texans who WS.

i have to admit, i have zone envy, except during those brutal summer months.
nbgard
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8316733

Yah, Terese. The summer is when we have zone envy!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8317136

Hi,
I like marigolds, geraniums, blacK eyed susans, coleUs, caladiums, zinnia envy, butterfly bush, canna lilies, fragrant gardenia. I'd like to grow color in pots for my small yard, used mainly for my raised veggie beds. I could place the pots/containers of color where I need them.

When should I WS seeds for these in Zone 9a?
nbgard
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8318659

One of the beauties of wintersowing is you are putting the seeds outside and when the time is right for that seed, it will sprout. You can go ahead and plant them now or even into February a little bit. If you just don't have the time by then, you can do it later, but your germination time may have more impact on when you will be able to plant them out. That's what little I know about it! I think the latest I have wintersown was mid February.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8318840

Thanks! I'm going to sow the seeds directly into the containers they will grow in, and cover them over with clear plastic with holes poked in them. Out into the sun (or the bright covered patio, for protection). I'll also sow some seeds in one gallon milk jugs and do a hunk a seed planting for my niece.
nbgard
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8318958

Sounds like a great plan. Have fun!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8321353

Zone 8a and third year wintersowing here. You will find the seeds will sprout when ready. I try to get them planted by the end of January. Right now the jugs are ready and awaiting the seed order. It should be here in the next day or two so this weekend will hopefully be the target date.

I WS mainly vegetables and herbs. I will add that once the seeds have sprouted, if there is a hard freeze, you should consider covering your WS jugs. I have had a freeze nip the tender sprouts.

I have placed my WS jugs up off the ground to keep dogs/cats/fireants from bothering them so pillbugs, etc were not a problem.

I will say... jump in there and experiment. Tis rewarding at this time of year.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8321623

Thanks, ya'll. I'm not totally inexperienced with WSing, except as regards flowers. I'm a total neophyte when it comes to anything Past marigolds, geraniums, hostas, lilies, coleus, and variegated ginger.

Last Dec/Jan I WSd tomatoes, bell peppers, eggplants, cabbage. Best tomato seedlings to date - better than the Big Box Store offerings, too. And the greenest, most robust BP seedlings! I didn't even care about the Fruits. I was just happy to grow those gorgeous plants with not a single bug hole anywhere!

But flowers are a whole different story. THat I need MUCH help with!

Thanks to you all for the tutilage!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America