Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Gardening by the Moon: Book: GARDENING & PLANTING BY THE MOON 2011 by Quantum

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 6, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #8284191

I just bought this book: Gardening and Planting by the moon 2011, pubblisher Quantum Foulsham.
I started to read and it is a fantastic book and really explains a lot about moon gardening.

My only problem is that the planting dates are not the same of the Farmer's Almanac calendar.
Example:
Farmer's Almanac: January 4th-5th Good Days For Planting Aboveground Crops Such As Sweet Corn, Beans And Peppers, In Southern Florida, Texas And California.
Book: January 4th no planting, January 5th plant root vegetables

By this book, the next date for planting above ground crop will be on Janyary 12th, while for the Farmer's Almanac January12th is consider a Barren Day. Do No Planting.

So now I am totally confused !!
Which calendar should I follow ???
I though there was only one moon ... I guess there are many interpretations ??

Please help

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8288021

I think the Farmer's Almanac goes by astronomy and the other by astrology. It does make it confusing. I wonder about planting half the seeds one way and the other half the other way and see which trumps.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8288033

So now I am really confused !!!
They totaly don't agree whit each other !!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8288143

There are several methods used in determining moon signs. Some are using our Earth as the center, others ise the sun as the center.

"Biodynamic methods are based on the heliocentric, or astronomical, position of the moon. This system is more complicated and also takes into consideration eclipses, trine, apogee and perigee as well as descending and ascending moons. (The Gardening by the Moon Calendar is based on the geocentric and astrological calculations.)"
that's from my post here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/753554/
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8288318

I'm about to plant seeds under the grow light I got myself for Christmas, and plan to use the Farmer's Almanac calendar. Maybe I'll plant just a few according to the other and if the results are dramatically different, I'll report. Seeds to go in on the 4th! Then I'll plant a few of the same on the 12th.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2011 12:56 PM

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8288489

So far I have always used the Farmer's Almanac calendar for planting and did very well.
Thanks Darius, now I understand a little bit more ... still confused !!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8288596

Hey, it still confuses me even after all this time! I always get geocentric and heliocentric mixed up. I should do a comparison of both systems but it's not high on my list even though I believe Rudolph Steiner was right on about cosmic influences.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America