2011 RESOLUTIONS TO CONTROL OUR CLUTTER

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

It's a new year and time for new resolutions. How will we control the clutter in our lives in 2011? Clutter is not just household clutter. It's also mental, emotional, body, and time clutter. Let's make a pact to help each other abolish ALL the clutter. What will you do differently in 2011 to reduce the clutter in your life? What will you continue to do because it works for you? What will you stop doing because it only adds stress and robs you of energy and creativity. How will you banish the clutter and become more organized, energized, creative, and happier in the new year?

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

One of my resolutions this year is to reduce the clutter of stress, which has caused a lot of health problems for me. I recently read a quote that said, "Have as much fun as you can until someone makes you stop." This year, I'm going to make more time for fun and quit taking life so seriously. I'll also exercise more which produces endorphines (again relieving stress), eat healthy, and get regular massages. I'm going to become more social and hang out more with friends and family instead of working my life away. I'm going to enjoy my life.

Losing weight is part of my clutter reduction plan. My closet is full of clothes in various sizes because my weight fluctuates, due to hormonal issues. This year, I intend to take control and shrink down several sizes so I will not only feel better, but I can empty half of the closet too. Once I lose the weight, I'm hopeful I'll be able to quit taking some of the medications I take.

I'll also stop saying yes to things I really don't want to do. I'm getting better at saying No. But once in a while, I'm still suckered into something I have no desire to do. When people play like they're helpless, I tend to want to help. But I've come to realize that most people are as capable as I am; they're just not as motivated as I am. I'll no longer tackle their projects when I have my own to do.

I will reduce the mental clutter by letting go of old grudges and forgiving--not for the benefit of the other person, but for my own benefit. I can't think positively and be fully happy if I am harboring anger and resentment. I will let it go. Likewise, I'll quit thinking unhappy thoughts or telling myself I'm not good enough. It just wastes time and emotion and robs my joy of life. I'll remind myself of all the things I do well and all the things I plan to do well.

I'll finish unfinished projects. I'll keep my house clean and orderly. And I'll clean out the guest bedroom where I've stored all the stuff that I've decided I no longer want to keep. By the end of 2011, I'll be happier, healthier, and living in a house I love where friends and family will want to visit. 2011 will be my best year ever!

NancyAnn

northeastern, AZ

Don't wait til the end of 2011 to be happier. Start tonight to let the crap go. Let the stress go. Be happy with who and what you are. That's what I'm still trying to work on. Nobody can make me angry, guilty, sad, etc. I can choose to react to them with those emotions or I can learn how to move on. I cannot control what they do - I can only choose how I react to another person.

In the clay forum someone wrote this about glaze. "We suffer because of the conflict between our expectations and what is."

It's true about our human reactions too.

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better past.

I desire 2011 to be the year I attain freedom from clutter.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I think happiness is a constant journey. I'm happy now; in fact, 2010 has been my best year yet. I imagine by the end of 2011, I'll be saying the same thing about it. LOL It seems to me that each year gets better, at least for me. I have friends who always dread the next year and I'm always looking forward to it.

Huckleberry, I like that quote! "Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better past." I never looked at it that way, but that makes perfect sense. In other words, Accept the past, deal with it and move on; accept what we cannot change. I find that forgiving myself is the hardest. I'm learning to, but it's much easier to forgive others. Something to work on in 2011.

Waaaay Down South, GA

Quote from ButterflyChaser :

I will reduce the mental clutter by letting go of old grudges and forgiving--not for the benefit of the other person, but for my own benefit. I can't think positively and be fully happy if I am harboring anger and resentment. I will let it go. Likewise, I'll quit thinking unhappy thoughts or telling myself I'm not good enough. It just wastes time and emotion and robs my joy of life. I'll remind myself of all the things I do well and all the things I plan to do well.

I'll finish unfinished projects. I'll keep my house clean and orderly. And I'll clean out the guest bedroom where I've stored all the stuff that I've decided I no longer want to keep. By the end of 2011, I'll be happier, healthier, and living in a house I love where friends and family will want to visit. 2011 will be my best year ever!

NancyAnn

Thanks Nancy Ann ... This is what I pray for ... May God grant me the strength to hold fast to this ... ☺

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, this is great. Let's keep the positive thinking going!

One of my hang-ups with clutter is I have not been willing to picture myself without some of my stuff. It is a costume of sorts. Like Linus and his blanket from the Peanuts cartoon. What would Linus be without the blanket? He would still be himself, whatever that is.
I was the youngest of a pack of kids. I wanted to be loved and accepted by them, to play with them. Well, it didn't work out that way. I was hazed for being the baby and/or a girl, and I retreated. I did find the love and acceptance I sought...we had dogs! But the one thing I remember I could not be without was my big teddy bear. I tried to sleep without it but I could hear it calling my name. I would get up and put it back in bed. Finally, peer pressure and the need to comply with the parental units saw my throwing it in the junk pile, mad as heck! I can see that I have simply replaced the teddy with other stuff. The anger flashes to this day when I have to get rid of something. This negative scenario is what I need to reflect upon, forgive these past hurts and growing pains, figure out who I am WITHOUT the "cool" stuff, and blossom. :-)

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Oh, Huck, I can relate! I was next to the youngest in our pack. I came along 6 years after my mother thought she was done having children. My dad expected a boy and had I been one, you'd be talking to Frank instead of NancyAnn. He never really accepted me because I was "just a girl." Everyone knows girls are inferior. I used to want to help with projects when I was little but he'd shoo me away because it was "man's work" and I was "just a girl."

In my late 20's, I landed a job in construction and over time I learned enough to build my own house--something my manly father had never done! While in construction, my boss never accepted me as "just a girl." I was a vital member of the team and he expected the same from me as he did from the men. I learned from employees at the lumber yards we frequented that he told everyone he wished he had 10 men like me.

It was in construction, being surrounded by that attitude, that I began to accept that I was good enough, "man" enough, smart enough. It no longer mattered that my father didn't accept me. I had accomplished something he hadn't. I had become a better "man" than my father, the way I saw it. So I was good enough. While my father is still moving from rent house to rent house, now in his 80's, I'm still living in the house I built and it's still standing after 12 years.

While growing up with Dad's rejection and being my mother's burden and my siblings' annoyance, I found comfort in books. And I kept every book I ever read! A few years ago, I had 1000's of books! I had wall to wall bookshelves to hold them all. And I couldn't bear the thought of parting with any. After reading more about minimalistic living, I began to reevaluate the books. They really just collected a lot of dust. And most I'd never read again. They had served their purpose for years, but now they were just in the way.

There was no way I could part with all of them at once. That would really hurt! So I parted with 10 that I knew I wouldn't open again. A week or two later, I found another 10 I could let go. Then another 10, then another 10. One day, I packed up over 100!!! I felt so liberated! Still a year later, I didn't think I could part with anymore so I let them set for a while. Today, all those initial books are gone. I own about 50 books now (mostly gardening and scrapbook references) and my inventory constantly rotates. I no longer hang onto the same books indefinitely. I get a new one; I let go of an old one. Change is good!

Huck, one thing I did to help me heal was to sit down and make a list of all my accomplishments and assets, big and small--my pretty smile, my quick wit, my building a house alone, changing a flat tire myself, installing a light fixture alone, losing 40 lbs, finding and returning a classmate's ring 20 years after she lost it, making my dog "smile", finally being stealthy enough to scare the daylights out of my big brother (he always gets me and I never get him), raising my son alone, etc.

Now when negative voices intrude, when I remember something awful someone has said, I remind myself that I built my own house, with my own two hands, and they didn't. We don't need stuff to make us whole. Like Dorothy is told in the Wizard of Oz, "You had it with you the whole time." Our completeness is inside us. Think about all the things you can do and all the assets you have and what you contribute to the world. Someone's world is much better for knowing you. And yes, our furry friends are often our best cheerleaders. We really should listen to them more as they know how to love truly and deeply.

I think you're wonderful, Huck! And I'm blessed to know you. You offer great insight and contributions to our threads here. Thank you so much!!!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

One of my biggest goals for 2011 is to reduce my "health clutter". I am very overweight, have diabetes, high blood pressure, and hormonal and chemical imbalances. Every condition is directly related to a poor lifestyle--poor eating habits, inability to handle stress, lack of serious aerobic exercise. Even my depression (more physical than emotional) is the result of mishandling my life. Losing significant weight could reverse all these conditons. So that will be my main focus in 2011.

I began the process in the last couple of years by walking 3 miles a day and completely changing what I eat. This past year, I took on a volunteer job that I do a couple days a week. And I love it. I didn't realize that I actually missed getting up and going to work. I work with a medicine assistance program, helping patients get the drugs they need for free. I feel like I'm doing something important now. And I just love having a "real" function in society. I've been staying home caring for my disabled mother for 12 years. She's rather resentful and the stress of dealing with her wore me down. At the medicine assistance program, people appreciate my efforts and say they couldn't do it without me, so I guess I feel validated. I think I might find another volunteer organization to work with another day of the week. Eventually I would like to find a good paying full-time job again. I'm really missing the workforce.

Within two years, I intend to be slim again, drug free and gainfully employed full-time.

Middletown, PA

Just assembled the shelves in the attic. Now I can put the sleeping bags, extra blanket and stuff in space bags and store them up there. Also plan on storing the tent there.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

My Dr. told me that fat does more than just sit there: it releases the bad hormones that affect our mental and physical health. That is probably the only reason that I (a formerly scrawny/bony gal) will work on getting rid of the 60+ pounds the steroids & illness put on me. I really don't care how I look or how differently people treat me now that I am obese, but if losing the fat will make me feel better; then I am going to do it this year!
DH and I have always joked about how by the end of winter/beginning of spring, all of the thrift stores start filling up with exercise equipment that folks bought at Christmas and New Years. If we were in the states we would be buying a treadmill and a rowing machine this year, as those are the ones the Dr. said to buy.

Crozet, VA

Once again, Nancy Ann offers us more food for thought. Good topic. There arre several things that jumped out at me while reading this today. I see myself in so many of you and that helps to know that I am not alone with my oddities. Over the years I have heard many excellent quotes that are supposedly from Abraham Lincoln who was known to suffer with great depression from time to time. One quote that I love is, "I find that most people are just as happy as they make up their minds to be." Some would beg to differ, but the longer I live, the more I find this to be true. Situations that ten years ago would have thrown me in to a tail spin for long periods of time, today are so much easier to deal with and to let go of. I find that a reward of aging is the experience we have gleaned from the many experiences we have been through. Had I known ahead of time the many traumas and hurts that I would encounter in this lifetime, I would have certainly been hesitant about wanting to go on.

Had I decided to not go on and accept life on life's terms, I would have side stepped the hurts and betrayals but I also would have missed so many of the joys that living this life has afforded me. As I sit here, to my left is a my grand son who is nine months old. What a delight he is. He grins form ear to ear and seeing it melts my heart. Truth of the matter was I had some hesitations to becoming grand mother the first time some four years ago. I wasn't ready to be old. Little did I know the pure joy and delight that would come along with that title. I can look back over my life and what at different stages I thought was so cool or so fun. Nothing really can compare with the idea that my little ones are now having little ones. I can't put in to words the change that over came me when becoming grand ma. Hope that this isn't too lovey dovey, mush mush for any of you. This is just what is on my heart this morning.

Going to tend to baby needs. Hope that everyone will enjoy today.

Ruby

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Juney, I didn't know the fat releases bad hormones. That's interesting! I knew that fat constricts blood vessels and vital organs so that they can't function properly, thereby reducing or even stopping the hormones and chemicals that we need to function normally. But no one ever told me about the bad hormones. Ewwwww, who wants those???

Massage helps release builtup toxins that poison us, like lactic acid that is stored in our muscles. I always feel much better after a massage. I have to drink lots of water for a couple of days afterwards due to the release of toxins. If I don't drink more water, I'll feel like I have a hangover. If I do drink the water and flush out the toxins, I feel more energized and alive. And the pain of my arthritis is gone for a while.

I love that quote from Abe, Ruby: "I find that most people are just as happy as they make up their minds to be." That's really hard to believe when you're dealing with a trauma or drama. But I began telling myself that everything, whether good or bad, happens for a reason. I'm supposed to learn something and become a better person, a more enlightened person, from everything that happens in my life.

I've been thru some things that no one should have to go thru starting when I was a toddler. My adult life wasn't much better. And I grew into a distrustful, unhappy person. Several years ago, I began a self-help journey which has been very difficult and depressing. But it's a journey I had to start in order to find true happiness. One of the recurrent themes in all my research was "Think positively; think happy thoughts; tell yourself positive affirmations; remind yourself that it's not your fault." Wasn't it in Peter Pan that someone said, "Think happy thoughts and you can fly"? I've finally begun to feel my feet lift off the ground a little. :-)

All of life's experiences make us who we are today and connects us to others. And maybe thru those experiences, we can help someone else in a similar situation. But the key is to work beyond the abuses and traumas we suffer and work through our emotions. We'll never "get over it", but I do think we can "get around it". We can hash it out, beat it to death, and then box it up and put it in a far corner of our minds where it can remind us of the long journey we've travelled and the strength and wisdom we've gained from the expedition. So let the journey begin with HAPPY THOUGHTS!

NancyAnn

Crozet, VA

Yep, I can identify with Abe for the sole reason of he too suffered with depression. I have also heard that "This too shall pass" can be attributed to him. I know that having this as my mantra has pulled me through some rough places.

I had some excellent therapy or counseling in the early 1990's. My counselor called my self talk as either old or new tapes. The old tapes that ran through my mind for many years left me feeling second rate and very unhappy. Thankfully the old tapes were replaced with new tapes and they are the positive words I now speak to myself.

I have heard that we need to pay very close attention to our thoughts, because our thoughts eventually become our speech, which sets things in motion to become our reality. So many of us speak so much negative and then wonder why we have so many negative things happen around us. It is not easy to turn oneself around and begin speaking positives in to our lives.

When I was first learning about this concept, I would often cringe when listening to either of my son's speak. I was feeling badly about them filling their minds with such negative thoughts. Granted, I spent the first part of my life thinking and speaking the same way. I need to allow them to find out this spiritual law on their own, but putting a bug in their ears won't hurt things. I usually try to intervene and put in my two cents when I hear them quoting beliefs that they will some day find to be falsehoods.

The perfect example of someone whose speech and actions seem to breed bad luck is listening to my cleaning lady moan and groan about how bad life is for her. I want to just take her and shake her and tell her that she needs to change her attitude and her speech also because I have watched over the years as so many of her predictions come true due to her setting things in to action.

Anyway, that's enough for today. Need to get up off the chair and join the world of the active. Off to bake hubby some brownies.

Ruby

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Everything you said is completely true. When you grow up hearing the negativity, it's really hard to break the cycle. The hardest part for many of us is accepting ourselves as worthy. And everyone has to come to that realization in their own time frame.

It also helps to distance ourselves from the negative people in our lives. For years I wouldn't talk to my mother. Within minutes of seeing her, she could destroy any self esteem I had built up. I hadn't seen her in 3 years when she had her debilitating stroke. It's ironic that I ended up being the "chosen one" and quit my job to care for her. Also ironic is the fact that she can no longer remember words. Her vocabulary now consists mostly of yes, no, and I don't know.

It's important that we eliminate the negative people and reaffirm our own worthiness regularly. We need to surround ourselves with people who also reaffirm our worthiness. That's one thing I like about the volunteer work I do. They appreciate me there. They compliment me frequently. And when I walk into the office, they are so happy to see me. The lady I work with said I'm the best personal assistant she ever had. She had a couple of others, but they didn't last long and neither took on as many responsibilities I have. She tells me she doesn't know what she'd do without me. It really lifts my spirits and boosts my esteem. In the 12 years I've been caring for my mom, she hasn't once said thanks in any way. She still seems annoyed by me. I know that's just a caregiver's lot, but it nice to be appreciated. So I get some affirmation thru the volunteer work I do.

Ruby, make sure you share those brownies with us. I was always taught that you MUST bring enough for the whole group. LOL

Middletown, PA

Brownies? Did I hear somebody meantion brownies? Now there is a volunteer job I can get into, official brownie taster!
Negative people are a waste of time, unfortunately, my spouse is one of them, but after being together for almost 30 years, I have learned not to take it personally. I am actually amused by how he thinks sometimes. Seriously, I truely doubt that the universe is working together against him. Everytime he goes to the store and they have stopped making his favorite brand of somtime, he takes it personally. He also expects doctors, dentists, mechanics, etc to be dishonest. I use to change dentist everytime he had a problem with the one we were going to. A few years ago I realized this was insane. I went back to the one which was my favorite, and he can go where ever he wants. I no longer let his opinions sway me because he always expects the worst, so that is often what he gets. Life is too short to spend it with such low expectations.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Nurse, I wonder if your husband suffers from some form of depression. Perhaps he's lacking a vital chemical. Would he consider posing the question to a doctor?

Crozet, VA

Very interesting!!! Awww Tracey - I am so sorry to hear that you have lived with that sort of personality for so long. Dang it, I work hard at maintaining a positive outlook despite often times feeling as though I have been kicked in the teeth by the world. I so agree BC that I have to limit my exposure to folks who are negative. My dad was the same way and by the time of his death I had to limit myself to ten and fifteen minute increments time spent with him.

Again, I will use my son's as the example. My oldest son's dad is a pessimist and my son spends a lot of time with his dad. Over the past few years as I listen to my son talk, I know exactly where his sometimes mixed up ideas come from. It is sad really. People who look at and for the negative, usually find it. Same goes for the positive, if we are looking for it, we usually find it.

Tracey, you learned to cope with negativity and are doing the correct thing in terms of letting it go. It is a shame when we have to sit back and watch our loved ones be miserable. Don't you sometimes feels like shaking him as hard as you can and telling him to wake up and smell the coffee? My mother stayed in her marriage with my dad for over fifty years and I believe they had the same sort of relationship that you speak of. My mom ended up doing her own thing for the most part. She didn't buy in to his pity party.

Anyway, some deep thoughts going on here. I am very proud of both of you ladies for learning to deal with those around you who are less than pleasant to spend time with.

BC, I am so glad that you recently began taking medication for depression. I know that it has certainly helped me as much as anything else has and I consider it a God Send. Thank you for being so open and willing to share parts of you life with the group. You too nursey babe, I love reading your posts. You seem to be a very strong and intelligent woman who has not always had a fair hand dealt to you either. You seem to have palyed your d ealt hand well t hough and seem to be doing pretty well from what I can tell. So glad to have made both of your acquaitances.

Hope that today is good one for you both.

Ruby

Middletown, PA

BC, I am sure depression is an issue with hubby, but he is not open to that. The doctor did put him on Paxil a few years ago for social anxiety disorder, but he only took it for a while and then stopped it cold turkey, which you should never do. Stopping it made him feel awful, which of course was the doctor's fault (; He has changed doctors since, but I still see the one that gave him the meds, because I personally agree that he should be on something. Anyway, there are worse things in life the living with a pessimist, so life goes on. I actually feel sorry for him sometimes bacause I can image how dark the world looks to somebody like that. Even when I was suffering from depression, I didn't feel like the world was against me. I mostly just didn't care about much of anything.
Have to head to work. They are calling for a big snowstorm starting this eve, 4-8 inches, so pray the night shift gets in so I can leave at 11.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Depression is viewed as a sign of weakness, so many people won't take the medication. I think depression is deeply rooted somewhere in the past, usually. In order to overcome it completely, one has to be willing to analyze every aspect of his/her life and deal with the causes of depression. Medication can help a person think bettter, overcome the denial, and face the demons.

I suffered alone with depression for most of my life. I didn't take medication because I knew I had to work on myself. I had to deal with the past, let go of grudges, forgive some people I never thought I'd forgive, and learn to accept myself. Medication couldn't have done that for me. I had to do the work myself.

Having dealt with severe depression in the past, I was quite familiar with "traditional" depression. I was quite shocked recently when the doc said I was depressed. I didn't feel sad or depressed or suicidal, like I had in the past. I was pretty happy really. I was just so tired and constantly anxious. I slept 2 or 3 hours a night because I was just too nervous to sleep. There wasn't any reason I should feel anxious but I just couldn't stop it. I couldn't relax; I couldn't think; I was so tired that I actually felt numb. The doc explained that my body was depressed, while emotionally I'm not. I was producing too much adrenaline and not enough serotonin. I had no idea I could be depressed yet not feel depressed. How strange!

Life with Cymbalta is so much better. I feel "normal" again--calm and peaceful, happy, my sense of humor is returning. My mental focus is amazing. I sleep very well at night and just go-go-go all day again. I feel like my old self again. I missed me!! The doc thinks I won't have to be on Cymbalta forever. He thinks if I work on my health issues, I should be able to be weaned off the Cymbalta within a year. So that's our goal. I've worked thru my life issues so life is pretty good these days. My depression is just a physical thing now and he thinks my brain will be inspired to start producing the chemicals I'm lacking. It just needs a little coaxing. So we'll see....

We got 3 inches of snow over the weekend. YUCK!! Nurse, I hope you don't get snowed in at work. I know when you're shift is over, you want to head home. Maybe the storm won't be too bad there.

Middletown, PA

We have about 4 inches so far, and it's still coming, but I am home safe and sound. Hopefully the roads won't be too bad when I have to go back tomorrow afternoon. I am originally from Western Pa, where they get a lot of snow. Central Pa gets very little, and people totally freak when they even her the word snow. I have lived here for almost 30 years and it still cracks me up.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

You'd laugh heartily here too, Nurse, if you saw how people here react to snow. We rarely get any, but even an inch can shut down the schools and people call into work claiming they can't get in. We got 3 inches Sunday night but it melted off the highways and sidewalks since the temps were above freezing. So Mon morning highways were clear. Yet the schools in the area were all closed. We'll use any excuse to take a "snow day". LOL

Crozet, VA

Glad that you got home safely Tracie. The threatened snow storm we had heard about for several days didn't happen. Yippie!!! I don't mind a snow storm, but I had several things on my calendar this week that I wanted to get to.

Tracie, you show a lot of wisdom in how you have chosen to deal with living with your husband. You hubby s ounds like my dad did. Being someone who suffers with depression I knew the signs and knew my dad had them. We encouraged, along with his doctor him to try and antidepressant and his answer was, "I have always been depressed, so may as well continue on."

Anyway, I saw him die having missed so many things that could have brought him great joy, but to live the way he did, was his decision and there was nothing I could do to change it. So, you are doing correctly. You are serving as an example to him of not having to continue to live the way he is. Hopefully at some point, he will realize that he would like to live another way and will decided upon his own to seek some help. I hope he does anyway.

BC, you make such wise statements and have truly helped me over the past months. So many times I have remembered something that you have said here and I have been able to apply it to my situations. You kept on me early on when I first started posting here, telling me that I could do it, and by golly, you were right. I may be a bit slow about some things, but I am making progress and you have been a major reason why. I should have told you this before now, but again, I am a bit slow on doing most things. hahaha Keep being who you are and sharing what you know. You never can tell who you might have helped with the words you share here.

Gonna run. Might be working myself in to time to get up and get started. Running way behind today, but that is okay. Take care and be well all.

Ruby

Monson, MA

30 inches of snow here!! Friends and all helped to clean and move car and shovel sidewalks, so just stayed in!!
Hopefully I can get out tomorrow...
Good to hear how you all are doing with depression, I know I do get depressed also...I try to do 1 thing a day to declutter or straighten out things and that does make me feel better at end of the day, however the holidays really get me down...toooo much to repack or shopping and then usually end up with many things I don't need or want..
Decluttering our homes and our lives means decluttering our minds and bodies also...what a thought!!
They seem to go hand in hand....what a great year, we have come a long ways and many of us are doing better now than before..
this will surely be a better year for all of us.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

30 inches of snow???? I guess I'll quit whining about the 3 inches we got that is pretty much melted away now. How do y'all keep your roof from caving in? Do you have to shovel snow off the roof??

Middletown, PA

We ended up getting only about 5 inches here. That's a nice amount, enough for the kids to play in, but not enough to cause any real problems. Having big cleaning plans for the wekend, so hope my motivation holds out!

Crozet, VA

Good to hear from you Geraldine. I hope that you can get over this funk you seem to be in and that your prediction for a great year for all of us comes true. Yep, your idea of doing at least one thing a day keeps you involved in it and less likely to throw in the towel and declare it as too much trouble.

I am with you Nancy Ann and cannot imagine living in areas where there is a lot of snow. Last year we had record breaking amounts here but thankfully this year it hasn't been much of anything at all, at least yet anyway. Yes, it is beautiful coming down with the world seeming to stop or slow down, but after the snow fall is over and people begin moving around in it, it just becomes a nuisance as far as I am concerned.

Tracie, here is hoping that you will make good progress with your de-cluttering plans for the weekend. I have no progress reports to speak of. This whole week has basically been trying to work around John installing a new floor in the kitchen and laundry room. It is now complete and it really looks so much better than what was down before. Sure gives me a pick me up to have it.

Nancy Ann, I just commented on another thread that I felt as though I needed a swift kick in the hind parts from you in order for me to get some motivation to get back involved with the areas that still need my attention. It seems as if I look at several places that are still messy here, and directly turn around and walk off without picking up or moving the first item. Can't seem to get started for some reason.

I suppose the major area needing my attention at the moment is a corner in my plant room that is basically a catch all at the moment. It is a bakers rack full of a mish mash of things, mostly related to planting and gardening. There is no real order to it and it is bothering me. Any ideas on how to "just do it?"

There are also a couple of other places in that room that tend to get messy quickly too. A small chest as you first enter the room is holding the grand childrens extra clothing and toys. The toys just keep being added to it seems. Chest is not really the correct term for the piece of furniture really because it is actually more like a book stand, doesn't have any drawers, just shelves, so everything is exposed.

Okay, I have been up moving around a bit, straightening kitchen, doing some food prep and the like. I don't believe that almost four in the afternoon is a time for me to start a project. So, plant room goes unaddressed for at least another day. I am hoping that someone will read this and have some ideas as how to get me up and at 'em hopefully tomorrow. I suppose if I find another wind in me somewhere I might to a bit in the plant room today, but most likely not.

So, waiting with open ears to hear if anyone has any suggestions on motivating myself to do some things I have been putting off. Thank ya'll.

Ruby

Middletown, PA

Progress report: Have finished decluttering spare room. Daughter has a friend coming next Sunday, so it will be ready. Can't decide if I want to go ahead and move the tredmill in thee or wait until after his visit. Really hate having it downstairs, and I don't using it there because I like to exercise in private. Daughter and I also went through bathroom closet and tossed 2 bags of old shapoos and stuff. Problem is you buy stuff and then don't like it but it is still almost a full bottle and you hate to toss it, so...3 years later it's still sitting in the closet. Have emptied a shelf so now the towels can go back in there instead of in a basket.
Stored 2 sleeping bags, my summer bedding and some knit blankets in space bags in the attic. Only problem is they make things much smaller, but the aren't flat so it is hard to stack things. They are kind of fun to use, I did the first one and daughter yelled "It's my turn' when I was starting to suck the air out of the second. Daughter having company is a great help to getting her motivated to help. Still need to finish her room and do basic cleaning but it is coming together.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Ruby, just start with the top shelf of the bakers rack and see what you can do with the stuff. Will you keep it, sell it, give it away? Will you or someone you know actually use it or appreciate it? See what you can thin out of the top shelf. Remember, the hardest part is starting. Once you get started, I bet you'll pick up momentum. Don't forget to play your favorite music and get comfortable while dealing with the stuff.

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

NancyAnn, thank you for the words of recognition, support, and praise (way back on Jan 3rd) . I appologize for not reading this post since then. I went away to the coast to do some crabbing. I have been trying to catch up on these threads. Not easy, winter snows have us all cabin-bound and thinking those deep winter thoughts. I think it is neat. There will be no time or inclination to discuss these matters come Spring. Best to do it now, in the season of hibernation.
I am keeping my promises to myself in living healthier and more positively. I feel serene.
=^..^=

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Huck, it sounds like you had a nice retreat--get crabby on the coast. LOL I bet you wish you could have stayed there rather than being snow bound. We got 3 inches of snow here, which didn't last long, and I hated it, as usual. And I wasn't even home bound. Winter is such a drag! Come on, SPRING!!! I'm getting so antsy. Having you guys to talk with and having home maintenance projects to do are keeping me sane.

Here's to a better life for all of is in 2011!!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Glad I found this thread, great reading. During Christmas I had 27 family members here. 10 stayed a week after Christmas. Ranged from 2 at 18 mos. on up to 28 years. Had mattresses and pallets all over the place. Once they all left before they got on the plane I brought 4 garbage cans near back door, started going through closets and utility rm. and really let it fly out the back door. I get sick of clutter and if I haven't used it it's gone unless someone else can use it. When you empty your medicine cabinet if you have any shampoos etc. give it to homes for abused people. They need it. I plan a yard sale but if not it will go to a few faith based thrift shops as it helps their cause. My pastor called and a little boy in my Sun. school class needed a twin mattress and I had one just like new. I delivered it to him on my way to church. I find someone who needs usable items but had lots of stuff that was pure junk. I have blowup mattress stored and can always borrow from friends if I need more. Does my soul good to pitch out junk.
My husb. says save it you might need it. His workshop is terrible so only once did he ever go away for 3 days. I hired a man with dump body trailor 14X17 and he left it with me to fill. I filled it twice. Along with ripping out the ceiling and walls. Unfortunately my husb. came back before he picked it up. Won't discuss his reaction. After 55 yrs. of marriage tra la. Now 2 years later he's sorting through his junk getting rid of (some) and rebuilding walls and ceilings. I promised to paint the whole bldg. when he's done. I have a trusty little crowbar that works wonders when parternered with a small sledge hammer. I'm 73 now and a little slower but still love home improvement which always includes de-cluttering.
I think you gals should be super proud of your accomplishments. My mom always told me I could do anything and I guess I believed her. I also believe Philippians 4-13.
Hope you all in snow country stay safe on the roads. I'm originally from Conn. so I know how the roads can get. After 46 years in Fl. I can do without snow.
You all have a truly blessed week. Bonnie

Middletown, PA

Bonnie, wish I had read your post last week. Daughter and I threw out 2 bags from bathroom. there were quite a few bottles of shampoo and other hair stuff she had purchased and didn't like. Many were near full. It never occurred to me to donate them to a shelter, but I will in the future.

Crozet, VA

Oh my gosh Bonnie.....welcome, welcome, welcome. We need you here lady. If I recall without pulling out my Bible, Phillipians 4:13 is a promise I made to the Lord many years ago as my Christmas gift to him. I will think on all things positive is basically the gist of it if I recall correctly. You can't go wrong with that at all.

Aren't these wonderful ladies just the cat's pajamas? They have certainly served to help me with my get up and go. BC, you are so very great. How dang simple, start with the top shelf and go down. That I believe I can do. Once again I was looking at the entire rack and was feeling overwhelmed with the job. If I break it down in to just doing one shelf at a time, I won't be bothered with feeling overwhelmed. Thank you so very much, once again. I truly appreciate the ideas you share with me that help me get started. It is like you know how my brain works. I am indebted to you big time sweet lady. As soon as the magnet holding my hind parts to this chair lessen in strength and I get up a get moving around, I shall start with the top shelf.

This is a bakers rack that I purchased a few years back to hold pots of houseplants. It is currently standing in a corner that gets no light, so I have been using it as a catch all. The majority of the items are plant maintence related and need to be in the plant room, but probably stored elsewhere. There are a few other things that have ended up sitting there due to needing a quick place to set something that didn't have a home. Actually, a few of things might be packed to go to auction.

Nurse and Huck, so glad that you are both continuing to post. I miss folks when they go missing. Anyway Tracie, good work. So good to hear that your daughter is involved too. As many of us have already found out, this de-cluttering bit seems to be contagious and others in our household seem to want to try and do better when they see us doing better. I hope that your daughter will be able to show you how to post pictures here. It isn't really hard, but I post pics so seldom, that I need to be refreshed each time I want to post them. I forget how in between times. You can do it though and I know you want to share you new lovely space with us.

Huck, you made a good point about now being the time to get things done because of our reason for being here in the first place which is gardening and when blessed spring begins to get closer our focus will be on getting out and playing in the dirt. That is unless our area has a repeat of last summer's record breaking high temps which pretty much left me house bound and very rarely garden bound.

One more thing and then I am up and out of here ya'll. Bonnie, I had to chuckle at your answer to your hubby's clutter issue. You go girl!!! Sounds like what I would like to do sometimes, but haven't yet found the guts to do it. I have a feeling that as the years pass and I get more and more years behind me that the day is coming when I will be able to find the guts needed to do exactly the sort of thing you did.

Anyway, while writing this a crisis with the younger son has started. Going to deal with that for a while. Hope you all are all having a great day.

Ruby

Monson, MA

Praying all is going well with you Ruby.
Yes, we all bolster each other up. I find I have to do a small project each day, just one shelf or drawer...to overwhelming to tackle the whole job!!
Had water damage to spare room, thank goodness I store most things in totes!! Was so much easier to clean up. Hopefully all will be ok now.
We got lotss and lottsss of snow! Ice!! Rain!! What a mess!!! Would love to go 'crabbing' and be out in the sun!
Planning a rose garden for the church, found some 'subzero' roses I want to try and the prices are 'great'!!
Thank goodness for garden catalogs, help these longs winter days!!

Eagle Point, OR(Zone 8a)

I have been walking/jogging every day. It clears the cobwebs out of my cluttered mind and is helping me to burn some fat. It lifts my mood, but not as much as gardening does. I have to stay away from the gardening catalogs this year as I have lots of seeds to plant from last year. I envy you, Geraldine!

Started to clean up the wellhouse/pantry yesterday and was overwhelmed pretty quickly. Seemed like I had done this before, where did all this junk come from? Oh yes, I remember. Well, I found a few easy tasks to do and then quit to come back to it some other time. My resolution to gain freedom from clutter means I have to take a break from it from time to time too. ;-)

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Huck, you're doing great! Weight loss is wonderful! Decluttering is great too. Keep up the great work. You're inspiring the rest of us.

You all are doing wonderfully. It's amazing how we all inspire each other. I'll get back to my regular routine after jury duty is over. So y'all do a little extra exercise and decluttering for me the next two weeks, ok? LOL

Crozet, VA

I will really, really miss you Butterfly. I hope that you can find the time to check in during the evenings or something.

Lady Slipper, I know all about having overwhelmed feelings. Doesn't take much to overwhelm me actually. You have the right idea about going at it slowly but surely. Huck, I too have to back off from things from time to time too. I hadn't really done anything much de-cluttering, cleaning wise for several weeks and was feeling it.

The thought of making money is what finally got me started this week. It looks as though if I am to get new flooring, I will be paying for it myself since John spent the flooring money on washer and dryer last week. Dang it!! I have a feeling that if some of the excesses sell well, it may be a good chunk going to flooring.

Anyway, good to see all of you. Gonna scoot. Willl check back in tomorrow.

Ruby

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I'm happy to report that they dismissed me from jury duty today about 3:30 this afternoon. There were 200 people there waiting to see if they were chosen. The judge spent half the morning talking to all of us. Then they called 18 people to sit in the jury box and each lawyer asked them personal questions. That took the rest of the morning and the first half of the afternoon. Then after all of that, they dismissed 10 of the 18 people and then called ten more. I was one of the ten, and they dismissed me too.

So I'll be working this week at the Medicine Assistance program to help Terry get the orders filled. Maybe we can get caught up by the end of next week and I can go back to working just a day a week.

I hope you make enough money on your stuff, Ruby, that you can pay for the new flooring. What fun it is to have something new! I'm sure your sales will do wonderfully!

Middletown, PA

Okay Huck, I got my gym set up, but my daughter has a friend coming for a week on Sunday. As soon as he leaves, I will join you on decluttering my thighs and hips!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.