Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Clean and Clutter-free: 2011 RESOLUTIONS TO CONTROL OUR CLUTTER

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 162, Views: 1,051
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8286748

It's a new year and time for new resolutions. How will we control the clutter in our lives in 2011? Clutter is not just household clutter. It's also mental, emotional, body, and time clutter. Let's make a pact to help each other abolish ALL the clutter. What will you do differently in 2011 to reduce the clutter in your life? What will you continue to do because it works for you? What will you stop doing because it only adds stress and robs you of energy and creativity. How will you banish the clutter and become more organized, energized, creative, and happier in the new year?
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2011
11:44 AM

Post #8286763

One of my resolutions this year is to reduce the clutter of stress, which has caused a lot of health problems for me. I recently read a quote that said, "Have as much fun as you can until someone makes you stop." This year, I'm going to make more time for fun and quit taking life so seriously. I'll also exercise more which produces endorphines (again relieving stress), eat healthy, and get regular massages. I'm going to become more social and hang out more with friends and family instead of working my life away. I'm going to enjoy my life.

Losing weight is part of my clutter reduction plan. My closet is full of clothes in various sizes because my weight fluctuates, due to hormonal issues. This year, I intend to take control and shrink down several sizes so I will not only feel better, but I can empty half of the closet too. Once I lose the weight, I'm hopeful I'll be able to quit taking some of the medications I take.

I'll also stop saying yes to things I really don't want to do. I'm getting better at saying No. But once in a while, I'm still suckered into something I have no desire to do. When people play like they're helpless, I tend to want to help. But I've come to realize that most people are as capable as I am; they're just not as motivated as I am. I'll no longer tackle their projects when I have my own to do.

I will reduce the mental clutter by letting go of old grudges and forgiving--not for the benefit of the other person, but for my own benefit. I can't think positively and be fully happy if I am harboring anger and resentment. I will let it go. Likewise, I'll quit thinking unhappy thoughts or telling myself I'm not good enough. It just wastes time and emotion and robs my joy of life. I'll remind myself of all the things I do well and all the things I plan to do well.

I'll finish unfinished projects. I'll keep my house clean and orderly. And I'll clean out the guest bedroom where I've stored all the stuff that I've decided I no longer want to keep. By the end of 2011, I'll be happier, healthier, and living in a house I love where friends and family will want to visit. 2011 will be my best year ever!

NancyAnn
gavafriend
northeastern, AZ

January 2, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8289381

Don't wait til the end of 2011 to be happier. Start tonight to let the crap go. Let the stress go. Be happy with who and what you are. That's what I'm still trying to work on. Nobody can make me angry, guilty, sad, etc. I can choose to react to them with those emotions or I can learn how to move on. I cannot control what they do - I can only choose how I react to another person.

In the clay forum someone wrote this about glaze. "We suffer because of the conflict between our expectations and what is."

It's true about our human reactions too.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 2, 2011
11:19 PM

Post #8289453

Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better past.

I desire 2011 to be the year I attain freedom from clutter.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8289817

I think happiness is a constant journey. I'm happy now; in fact, 2010 has been my best year yet. I imagine by the end of 2011, I'll be saying the same thing about it. LOL It seems to me that each year gets better, at least for me. I have friends who always dread the next year and I'm always looking forward to it.

Huckleberry, I like that quote! "Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better past." I never looked at it that way, but that makes perfect sense. In other words, Accept the past, deal with it and move on; accept what we cannot change. I find that forgiving myself is the hardest. I'm learning to, but it's much easier to forgive others. Something to work on in 2011.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 3, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8289834

ButterflyChaser wrote:

I will reduce the mental clutter by letting go of old grudges and forgiving--not for the benefit of the other person, but for my own benefit. I can't think positively and be fully happy if I am harboring anger and resentment. I will let it go. Likewise, I'll quit thinking unhappy thoughts or telling myself I'm not good enough. It just wastes time and emotion and robs my joy of life. I'll remind myself of all the things I do well and all the things I plan to do well.

I'll finish unfinished projects. I'll keep my house clean and orderly. And I'll clean out the guest bedroom where I've stored all the stuff that I've decided I no longer want to keep. By the end of 2011, I'll be happier, healthier, and living in a house I love where friends and family will want to visit. 2011 will be my best year ever!

NancyAnn

Thanks Nancy Ann ... This is what I pray for ... May God grant me the strength to hold fast to this ... ☺

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8289901

Oh, this is great. Let's keep the positive thinking going!

One of my hang-ups with clutter is I have not been willing to picture myself without some of my stuff. It is a costume of sorts. Like Linus and his blanket from the Peanuts cartoon. What would Linus be without the blanket? He would still be himself, whatever that is.
I was the youngest of a pack of kids. I wanted to be loved and accepted by them, to play with them. Well, it didn't work out that way. I was hazed for being the baby and/or a girl, and I retreated. I did find the love and acceptance I sought...we had dogs! But the one thing I remember I could not be without was my big teddy bear. I tried to sleep without it but I could hear it calling my name. I would get up and put it back in bed. Finally, peer pressure and the need to comply with the parental units saw my throwing it in the junk pile, mad as heck! I can see that I have simply replaced the teddy with other stuff. The anger flashes to this day when I have to get rid of something. This negative scenario is what I need to reflect upon, forgive these past hurts and growing pains, figure out who I am WITHOUT the "cool" stuff, and blossom. :-)
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8290015

Oh, Huck, I can relate! I was next to the youngest in our pack. I came along 6 years after my mother thought she was done having children. My dad expected a boy and had I been one, you'd be talking to Frank instead of NancyAnn. He never really accepted me because I was "just a girl." Everyone knows girls are inferior. I used to want to help with projects when I was little but he'd shoo me away because it was "man's work" and I was "just a girl."

In my late 20's, I landed a job in construction and over time I learned enough to build my own house--something my manly father had never done! While in construction, my boss never accepted me as "just a girl." I was a vital member of the team and he expected the same from me as he did from the men. I learned from employees at the lumber yards we frequented that he told everyone he wished he had 10 men like me.

It was in construction, being surrounded by that attitude, that I began to accept that I was good enough, "man" enough, smart enough. It no longer mattered that my father didn't accept me. I had accomplished something he hadn't. I had become a better "man" than my father, the way I saw it. So I was good enough. While my father is still moving from rent house to rent house, now in his 80's, I'm still living in the house I built and it's still standing after 12 years.

While growing up with Dad's rejection and being my mother's burden and my siblings' annoyance, I found comfort in books. And I kept every book I ever read! A few years ago, I had 1000's of books! I had wall to wall bookshelves to hold them all. And I couldn't bear the thought of parting with any. After reading more about minimalistic living, I began to reevaluate the books. They really just collected a lot of dust. And most I'd never read again. They had served their purpose for years, but now they were just in the way.

There was no way I could part with all of them at once. That would really hurt! So I parted with 10 that I knew I wouldn't open again. A week or two later, I found another 10 I could let go. Then another 10, then another 10. One day, I packed up over 100!!! I felt so liberated! Still a year later, I didn't think I could part with anymore so I let them set for a while. Today, all those initial books are gone. I own about 50 books now (mostly gardening and scrapbook references) and my inventory constantly rotates. I no longer hang onto the same books indefinitely. I get a new one; I let go of an old one. Change is good!

Huck, one thing I did to help me heal was to sit down and make a list of all my accomplishments and assets, big and small--my pretty smile, my quick wit, my building a house alone, changing a flat tire myself, installing a light fixture alone, losing 40 lbs, finding and returning a classmate's ring 20 years after she lost it, making my dog "smile", finally being stealthy enough to scare the daylights out of my big brother (he always gets me and I never get him), raising my son alone, etc.

Now when negative voices intrude, when I remember something awful someone has said, I remind myself that I built my own house, with my own two hands, and they didn't. We don't need stuff to make us whole. Like Dorothy is told in the Wizard of Oz, "You had it with you the whole time." Our completeness is inside us. Think about all the things you can do and all the assets you have and what you contribute to the world. Someone's world is much better for knowing you. And yes, our furry friends are often our best cheerleaders. We really should listen to them more as they know how to love truly and deeply.

I think you're wonderful, Huck! And I'm blessed to know you. You offer great insight and contributions to our threads here. Thank you so much!!!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8298774

One of my biggest goals for 2011 is to reduce my "health clutter". I am very overweight, have diabetes, high blood pressure, and hormonal and chemical imbalances. Every condition is directly related to a poor lifestyle--poor eating habits, inability to handle stress, lack of serious aerobic exercise. Even my depression (more physical than emotional) is the result of mishandling my life. Losing significant weight could reverse all these conditons. So that will be my main focus in 2011.

I began the process in the last couple of years by walking 3 miles a day and completely changing what I eat. This past year, I took on a volunteer job that I do a couple days a week. And I love it. I didn't realize that I actually missed getting up and going to work. I work with a medicine assistance program, helping patients get the drugs they need for free. I feel like I'm doing something important now. And I just love having a "real" function in society. I've been staying home caring for my disabled mother for 12 years. She's rather resentful and the stress of dealing with her wore me down. At the medicine assistance program, people appreciate my efforts and say they couldn't do it without me, so I guess I feel validated. I think I might find another volunteer organization to work with another day of the week. Eventually I would like to find a good paying full-time job again. I'm really missing the workforce.

Within two years, I intend to be slim again, drug free and gainfully employed full-time.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

January 8, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8299172

Just assembled the shelves in the attic. Now I can put the sleeping bags, extra blanket and stuff in space bags and store them up there. Also plan on storing the tent there.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8301158

My Dr. told me that fat does more than just sit there: it releases the bad hormones that affect our mental and physical health. That is probably the only reason that I (a formerly scrawny/bony gal) will work on getting rid of the 60+ pounds the steroids & illness put on me. I really don't care how I look or how differently people treat me now that I am obese, but if losing the fat will make me feel better; then I am going to do it this year!
DH and I have always joked about how by the end of winter/beginning of spring, all of the thrift stores start filling up with exercise equipment that folks bought at Christmas and New Years. If we were in the states we would be buying a treadmill and a rowing machine this year, as those are the ones the Dr. said to buy.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 10, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8301978

Once again, Nancy Ann offers us more food for thought. Good topic. There arre several things that jumped out at me while reading this today. I see myself in so many of you and that helps to know that I am not alone with my oddities. Over the years I have heard many excellent quotes that are supposedly from Abraham Lincoln who was known to suffer with great depression from time to time. One quote that I love is, "I find that most people are just as happy as they make up their minds to be." Some would beg to differ, but the longer I live, the more I find this to be true. Situations that ten years ago would have thrown me in to a tail spin for long periods of time, today are so much easier to deal with and to let go of. I find that a reward of aging is the experience we have gleaned from the many experiences we have been through. Had I known ahead of time the many traumas and hurts that I would encounter in this lifetime, I would have certainly been hesitant about wanting to go on.

Had I decided to not go on and accept life on life's terms, I would have side stepped the hurts and betrayals but I also would have missed so many of the joys that living this life has afforded me. As I sit here, to my left is a my grand son who is nine months old. What a delight he is. He grins form ear to ear and seeing it melts my heart. Truth of the matter was I had some hesitations to becoming grand mother the first time some four years ago. I wasn't ready to be old. Little did I know the pure joy and delight that would come along with that title. I can look back over my life and what at different stages I thought was so cool or so fun. Nothing really can compare with the idea that my little ones are now having little ones. I can't put in to words the change that over came me when becoming grand ma. Hope that this isn't too lovey dovey, mush mush for any of you. This is just what is on my heart this morning.

Going to tend to baby needs. Hope that everyone will enjoy today.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8302258

Juney, I didn't know the fat releases bad hormones. That's interesting! I knew that fat constricts blood vessels and vital organs so that they can't function properly, thereby reducing or even stopping the hormones and chemicals that we need to function normally. But no one ever told me about the bad hormones. Ewwwww, who wants those???

Massage helps release builtup toxins that poison us, like lactic acid that is stored in our muscles. I always feel much better after a massage. I have to drink lots of water for a couple of days afterwards due to the release of toxins. If I don't drink more water, I'll feel like I have a hangover. If I do drink the water and flush out the toxins, I feel more energized and alive. And the pain of my arthritis is gone for a while.

I love that quote from Abe, Ruby: "I find that most people are just as happy as they make up their minds to be." That's really hard to believe when you're dealing with a trauma or drama. But I began telling myself that everything, whether good or bad, happens for a reason. I'm supposed to learn something and become a better person, a more enlightened person, from everything that happens in my life.

I've been thru some things that no one should have to go thru starting when I was a toddler. My adult life wasn't much better. And I grew into a distrustful, unhappy person. Several years ago, I began a self-help journey which has been very difficult and depressing. But it's a journey I had to start in order to find true happiness. One of the recurrent themes in all my research was "Think positively; think happy thoughts; tell yourself positive affirmations; remind yourself that it's not your fault." Wasn't it in Peter Pan that someone said, "Think happy thoughts and you can fly"? I've finally begun to feel my feet lift off the ground a little. :-)

All of life's experiences make us who we are today and connects us to others. And maybe thru those experiences, we can help someone else in a similar situation. But the key is to work beyond the abuses and traumas we suffer and work through our emotions. We'll never "get over it", but I do think we can "get around it". We can hash it out, beat it to death, and then box it up and put it in a far corner of our minds where it can remind us of the long journey we've travelled and the strength and wisdom we've gained from the expedition. So let the journey begin with HAPPY THOUGHTS!

NancyAnn
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 10, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8302873

Yep, I can identify with Abe for the sole reason of he too suffered with depression. I have also heard that "This too shall pass" can be attributed to him. I know that having this as my mantra has pulled me through some rough places.

I had some excellent therapy or counseling in the early 1990's. My counselor called my self talk as either old or new tapes. The old tapes that ran through my mind for many years left me feeling second rate and very unhappy. Thankfully the old tapes were replaced with new tapes and they are the positive words I now speak to myself.

I have heard that we need to pay very close attention to our thoughts, because our thoughts eventually become our speech, which sets things in motion to become our reality. So many of us speak so much negative and then wonder why we have so many negative things happen around us. It is not easy to turn oneself around and begin speaking positives in to our lives.

When I was first learning about this concept, I would often cringe when listening to either of my son's speak. I was feeling badly about them filling their minds with such negative thoughts. Granted, I spent the first part of my life thinking and speaking the same way. I need to allow them to find out this spiritual law on their own, but putting a bug in their ears won't hurt things. I usually try to intervene and put in my two cents when I hear them quoting beliefs that they will some day find to be falsehoods.

The perfect example of someone whose speech and actions seem to breed bad luck is listening to my cleaning lady moan and groan about how bad life is for her. I want to just take her and shake her and tell her that she needs to change her attitude and her speech also because I have watched over the years as so many of her predictions come true due to her setting things in to action.

Anyway, that's enough for today. Need to get up off the chair and join the world of the active. Off to bake hubby some brownies.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8302976

Everything you said is completely true. When you grow up hearing the negativity, it's really hard to break the cycle. The hardest part for many of us is accepting ourselves as worthy. And everyone has to come to that realization in their own time frame.

It also helps to distance ourselves from the negative people in our lives. For years I wouldn't talk to my mother. Within minutes of seeing her, she could destroy any self esteem I had built up. I hadn't seen her in 3 years when she had her debilitating stroke. It's ironic that I ended up being the "chosen one" and quit my job to care for her. Also ironic is the fact that she can no longer remember words. Her vocabulary now consists mostly of yes, no, and I don't know.

It's important that we eliminate the negative people and reaffirm our own worthiness regularly. We need to surround ourselves with people who also reaffirm our worthiness. That's one thing I like about the volunteer work I do. They appreciate me there. They compliment me frequently. And when I walk into the office, they are so happy to see me. The lady I work with said I'm the best personal assistant she ever had. She had a couple of others, but they didn't last long and neither took on as many responsibilities I have. She tells me she doesn't know what she'd do without me. It really lifts my spirits and boosts my esteem. In the 12 years I've been caring for my mom, she hasn't once said thanks in any way. She still seems annoyed by me. I know that's just a caregiver's lot, but it nice to be appreciated. So I get some affirmation thru the volunteer work I do.

Ruby, make sure you share those brownies with us. I was always taught that you MUST bring enough for the whole group. LOL
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

January 10, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8303715

Brownies? Did I hear somebody meantion brownies? Now there is a volunteer job I can get into, official brownie taster!
Negative people are a waste of time, unfortunately, my spouse is one of them, but after being together for almost 30 years, I have learned not to take it personally. I am actually amused by how he thinks sometimes. Seriously, I truely doubt that the universe is working together against him. Everytime he goes to the store and they have stopped making his favorite brand of somtime, he takes it personally. He also expects doctors, dentists, mechanics, etc to be dishonest. I use to change dentist everytime he had a problem with the one we were going to. A few years ago I realized this was insane. I went back to the one which was my favorite, and he can go where ever he wants. I no longer let his opinions sway me because he always expects the worst, so that is often what he gets. Life is too short to spend it with such low expectations.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8304109

Nurse, I wonder if your husband suffers from some form of depression. Perhaps he's lacking a vital chemical. Would he consider posing the question to a doctor?
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 11, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8304698

Very interesting!!! Awww Tracey - I am so sorry to hear that you have lived with that sort of personality for so long. Dang it, I work hard at maintaining a positive outlook despite often times feeling as though I have been kicked in the teeth by the world. I so agree BC that I have to limit my exposure to folks who are negative. My dad was the same way and by the time of his death I had to limit myself to ten and fifteen minute increments time spent with him.

Again, I will use my son's as the example. My oldest son's dad is a pessimist and my son spends a lot of time with his dad. Over the past few years as I listen to my son talk, I know exactly where his sometimes mixed up ideas come from. It is sad really. People who look at and for the negative, usually find it. Same goes for the positive, if we are looking for it, we usually find it.

Tracey, you learned to cope with negativity and are doing the correct thing in terms of letting it go. It is a shame when we have to sit back and watch our loved ones be miserable. Don't you sometimes feels like shaking him as hard as you can and telling him to wake up and smell the coffee? My mother stayed in her marriage with my dad for over fifty years and I believe they had the same sort of relationship that you speak of. My mom ended up doing her own thing for the most part. She didn't buy in to his pity party.

Anyway, some deep thoughts going on here. I am very proud of both of you ladies for learning to deal with those around you who are less than pleasant to spend time with.

BC, I am so glad that you recently began taking medication for depression. I know that it has certainly helped me as much as anything else has and I consider it a God Send. Thank you for being so open and willing to share parts of you life with the group. You too nursey babe, I love reading your posts. You seem to be a very strong and intelligent woman who has not always had a fair hand dealt to you either. You seem to have palyed your d ealt hand well t hough and seem to be doing pretty well from what I can tell. So glad to have made both of your acquaitances.

Hope that today is good one for you both.

Ruby
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

January 11, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8304719

BC, I am sure depression is an issue with hubby, but he is not open to that. The doctor did put him on Paxil a few years ago for social anxiety disorder, but he only took it for a while and then stopped it cold turkey, which you should never do. Stopping it made him feel awful, which of course was the doctor's fault (; He has changed doctors since, but I still see the one that gave him the meds, because I personally agree that he should be on something. Anyway, there are worse things in life the living with a pessimist, so life goes on. I actually feel sorry for him sometimes bacause I can image how dark the world looks to somebody like that. Even when I was suffering from depression, I didn't feel like the world was against me. I mostly just didn't care about much of anything.
Have to head to work. They are calling for a big snowstorm starting this eve, 4-8 inches, so pray the night shift gets in so I can leave at 11.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8305365

Depression is viewed as a sign of weakness, so many people won't take the medication. I think depression is deeply rooted somewhere in the past, usually. In order to overcome it completely, one has to be willing to analyze every aspect of his/her life and deal with the causes of depression. Medication can help a person think bettter, overcome the denial, and face the demons.

I suffered alone with depression for most of my life. I didn't take medication because I knew I had to work on myself. I had to deal with the past, let go of grudges, forgive some people I never thought I'd forgive, and learn to accept myself. Medication couldn't have done that for me. I had to do the work myself.

Having dealt with severe depression in the past, I was quite familiar with "traditional" depression. I was quite shocked recently when the doc said I was depressed. I didn't feel sad or depressed or suicidal, like I had in the past. I was pretty happy really. I was just so tired and constantly anxious. I slept 2 or 3 hours a night because I was just too nervous to sleep. There wasn't any reason I should feel anxious but I just couldn't stop it. I couldn't relax; I couldn't think; I was so tired that I actually felt numb. The doc explained that my body was depressed, while emotionally I'm not. I was producing too much adrenaline and not enough serotonin. I had no idea I could be depressed yet not feel depressed. How strange!

Life with Cymbalta is so much better. I feel "normal" again--calm and peaceful, happy, my sense of humor is returning. My mental focus is amazing. I sleep very well at night and just go-go-go all day again. I feel like my old self again. I missed me!! The doc thinks I won't have to be on Cymbalta forever. He thinks if I work on my health issues, I should be able to be weaned off the Cymbalta within a year. So that's our goal. I've worked thru my life issues so life is pretty good these days. My depression is just a physical thing now and he thinks my brain will be inspired to start producing the chemicals I'm lacking. It just needs a little coaxing. So we'll see...

We got 3 inches of snow over the weekend. YUCK!! Nurse, I hope you don't get snowed in at work. I know when you're shift is over, you want to head home. Maybe the storm won't be too bad there.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

January 11, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8305848

We have about 4 inches so far, and it's still coming, but I am home safe and sound. Hopefully the roads won't be too bad when I have to go back tomorrow afternoon. I am originally from Western Pa, where they get a lot of snow. Central Pa gets very little, and people totally freak when they even her the word snow. I have lived here for almost 30 years and it still cracks me up.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8306078

You'd laugh heartily here too, Nurse, if you saw how people here react to snow. We rarely get any, but even an inch can shut down the schools and people call into work claiming they can't get in. We got 3 inches Sunday night but it melted off the highways and sidewalks since the temps were above freezing. So Mon morning highways were clear. Yet the schools in the area were all closed. We'll use any excuse to take a "snow day". LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 12, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8306658

Glad that you got home safely Tracie. The threatened snow storm we had heard about for several days didn't happen. Yippie!!! I don't mind a snow storm, but I had several things on my calendar this week that I wanted to get to.

Tracie, you show a lot of wisdom in how you have chosen to deal with living with your husband. You hubby s ounds like my dad did. Being someone who suffers with depression I knew the signs and knew my dad had them. We encouraged, along with his doctor him to try and antidepressant and his answer was, "I have always been depressed, so may as well continue on."

Anyway, I saw him die having missed so many things that could have brought him great joy, but to live the way he did, was his decision and there was nothing I could do to change it. So, you are doing correctly. You are serving as an example to him of not having to continue to live the way he is. Hopefully at some point, he will realize that he would like to live another way and will decided upon his own to seek some help. I hope he does anyway.

BC, you make such wise statements and have truly helped me over the past months. So many times I have remembered something that you have said here and I have been able to apply it to my situations. You kept on me early on when I first started posting here, telling me that I could do it, and by golly, you were right. I may be a bit slow about some things, but I am making progress and you have been a major reason why. I should have told you this before now, but again, I am a bit slow on doing most things. hahaha Keep being who you are and sharing what you know. You never can tell who you might have helped with the words you share here.

Gonna run. Might be working myself in to time to get up and get started. Running way behind today, but that is okay. Take care and be well all.

Ruby
ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

January 12, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8307334

30 inches of snow here!! Friends and all helped to clean and move car and shovel sidewalks, so just stayed in!!
Hopefully I can get out tomorrow...
Good to hear how you all are doing with depression, I know I do get depressed also...I try to do 1 thing a day to declutter or straighten out things and that does make me feel better at end of the day, however the holidays really get me down...toooo much to repack or shopping and then usually end up with many things I don't need or want..
Decluttering our homes and our lives means decluttering our minds and bodies also...what a thought!!
They seem to go hand in hand...what a great year, we have come a long ways and many of us are doing better now than before..
this will surely be a better year for all of us.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8307379

30 inches of snow???? I guess I'll quit whining about the 3 inches we got that is pretty much melted away now. How do y'all keep your roof from caving in? Do you have to shovel snow off the roof??
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

January 12, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8307779

We ended up getting only about 5 inches here. That's a nice amount, enough for the kids to play in, but not enough to cause any real problems. Having big cleaning plans for the wekend, so hope my motivation holds out!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 14, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8310549

Good to hear from you Geraldine. I hope that you can get over this funk you seem to be in and that your prediction for a great year for all of us comes true. Yep, your idea of doing at least one thing a day keeps you involved in it and less likely to throw in the towel and declare it as too much trouble.

I am with you Nancy Ann and cannot imagine living in areas where there is a lot of snow. Last year we had record breaking amounts here but thankfully this year it hasn't been much of anything at all, at least yet anyway. Yes, it is beautiful coming down with the world seeming to stop or slow down, but after the snow fall is over and people begin moving around in it, it just becomes a nuisance as far as I am concerned.

Tracie, here is hoping that you will make good progress with your de-cluttering plans for the weekend. I have no progress reports to speak of. This whole week has basically been trying to work around John installing a new floor in the kitchen and laundry room. It is now complete and it really looks so much better than what was down before. Sure gives me a pick me up to have it.

Nancy Ann, I just commented on another thread that I felt as though I needed a swift kick in the hind parts from you in order for me to get some motivation to get back involved with the areas that still need my attention. It seems as if I look at several places that are still messy here, and directly turn around and walk off without picking up or moving the first item. Can't seem to get started for some reason.

I suppose the major area needing my attention at the moment is a corner in my plant room that is basically a catch all at the moment. It is a bakers rack full of a mish mash of things, mostly related to planting and gardening. There is no real order to it and it is bothering me. Any ideas on how to "just do it?"

There are also a couple of other places in that room that tend to get messy quickly too. A small chest as you first enter the room is holding the grand childrens extra clothing and toys. The toys just keep being added to it seems. Chest is not really the correct term for the piece of furniture really because it is actually more like a book stand, doesn't have any drawers, just shelves, so everything is exposed.

Okay, I have been up moving around a bit, straightening kitchen, doing some food prep and the like. I don't believe that almost four in the afternoon is a time for me to start a project. So, plant room goes unaddressed for at least another day. I am hoping that someone will read this and have some ideas as how to get me up and at 'em hopefully tomorrow. I suppose if I find another wind in me somewhere I might to a bit in the plant room today, but most likely not.

So, waiting with open ears to hear if anyone has any suggestions on motivating myself to do some things I have been putting off. Thank ya'll.

Ruby

nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

January 14, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8310672

Progress report: Have finished decluttering spare room. Daughter has a friend coming next Sunday, so it will be ready. Can't decide if I want to go ahead and move the tredmill in thee or wait until after his visit. Really hate having it downstairs, and I don't using it there because I like to exercise in private. Daughter and I also went through bathroom closet and tossed 2 bags of old shapoos and stuff. Problem is you buy stuff and then don't like it but it is still almost a full bottle and you hate to toss it, so...3 years later it's still sitting in the closet. Have emptied a shelf so now the towels can go back in there instead of in a basket.
Stored 2 sleeping bags, my summer bedding and some knit blankets in space bags in the attic. Only problem is they make things much smaller, but the aren't flat so it is hard to stack things. They are kind of fun to use, I did the first one and daughter yelled "It's my turn' when I was starting to suck the air out of the second. Daughter having company is a great help to getting her motivated to help. Still need to finish her room and do basic cleaning but it is coming together.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8310724

Ruby, just start with the top shelf of the bakers rack and see what you can do with the stuff. Will you keep it, sell it, give it away? Will you or someone you know actually use it or appreciate it? See what you can thin out of the top shelf. Remember, the hardest part is starting. Once you get started, I bet you'll pick up momentum. Don't forget to play your favorite music and get comfortable while dealing with the stuff.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8314381

NancyAnn, thank you for the words of recognition, support, and praise (way back on Jan 3rd) . I appologize for not reading this post since then. I went away to the coast to do some crabbing. I have been trying to catch up on these threads. Not easy, winter snows have us all cabin-bound and thinking those deep winter thoughts. I think it is neat. There will be no time or inclination to discuss these matters come Spring. Best to do it now, in the season of hibernation.
I am keeping my promises to myself in living healthier and more positively. I feel serene.
=^..^=
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8314739

Huck, it sounds like you had a nice retreat--get crabby on the coast. LOL I bet you wish you could have stayed there rather than being snow bound. We got 3 inches of snow here, which didn't last long, and I hated it, as usual. And I wasn't even home bound. Winter is such a drag! Come on, SPRING!!! I'm getting so antsy. Having you guys to talk with and having home maintenance projects to do are keeping me sane.

Here's to a better life for all of is in 2011!!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8315095

Glad I found this thread, great reading. During Christmas I had 27 family members here. 10 stayed a week after Christmas. Ranged from 2 at 18 mos. on up to 28 years. Had mattresses and pallets all over the place. Once they all left before they got on the plane I brought 4 garbage cans near back door, started going through closets and utility rm. and really let it fly out the back door. I get sick of clutter and if I haven't used it it's gone unless someone else can use it. When you empty your medicine cabinet if you have any shampoos etc. give it to homes for abused people. They need it. I plan a yard sale but if not it will go to a few faith based thrift shops as it helps their cause. My pastor called and a little boy in my Sun. school class needed a twin mattress and I had one just like new. I delivered it to him on my way to church. I find someone who needs usable items but had lots of stuff that was pure junk. I have blowup mattress stored and can always borrow from friends if I need more. Does my soul good to pitch out junk.
My husb. says save it you might need it. His workshop is terrible so only once did he ever go away for 3 days. I hired a man with dump body trailor 14X17 and he left it with me to fill. I filled it twice. Along with ripping out the ceiling and walls. Unfortunately my husb. came back before he picked it up. Won't discuss his reaction. After 55 yrs. of marriage tra la. Now 2 years later he's sorting through his junk getting rid of (some) and rebuilding walls and ceilings. I promised to paint the whole bldg. when he's done. I have a trusty little crowbar that works wonders when parternered with a small sledge hammer. I'm 73 now and a little slower but still love home improvement which always includes de-cluttering.
I think you gals should be super proud of your accomplishments. My mom always told me I could do anything and I guess I believed her. I also believe Philippians 4-13.
Hope you all in snow country stay safe on the roads. I'm originally from Conn. so I know how the roads can get. After 46 years in Fl. I can do without snow.
You all have a truly blessed week. Bonnie
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

January 17, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8315264

Bonnie, wish I had read your post last week. Daughter and I threw out 2 bags from bathroom. there were quite a few bottles of shampoo and other hair stuff she had purchased and didn't like. Many were near full. It never occurred to me to donate them to a shelter, but I will in the future.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 17, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8315366

Oh my gosh Bonnie...welcome, welcome, welcome. We need you here lady. If I recall without pulling out my Bible, Phillipians 4:13 is a promise I made to the Lord many years ago as my Christmas gift to him. I will think on all things positive is basically the gist of it if I recall correctly. You can't go wrong with that at all.

Aren't these wonderful ladies just the cat's pajamas? They have certainly served to help me with my get up and go. BC, you are so very great. How dang simple, start with the top shelf and go down. That I believe I can do. Once again I was looking at the entire rack and was feeling overwhelmed with the job. If I break it down in to just doing one shelf at a time, I won't be bothered with feeling overwhelmed. Thank you so very much, once again. I truly appreciate the ideas you share with me that help me get started. It is like you know how my brain works. I am indebted to you big time sweet lady. As soon as the magnet holding my hind parts to this chair lessen in strength and I get up a get moving around, I shall start with the top shelf.

This is a bakers rack that I purchased a few years back to hold pots of houseplants. It is currently standing in a corner that gets no light, so I have been using it as a catch all. The majority of the items are plant maintence related and need to be in the plant room, but probably stored elsewhere. There are a few other things that have ended up sitting there due to needing a quick place to set something that didn't have a home. Actually, a few of things might be packed to go to auction.

Nurse and Huck, so glad that you are both continuing to post. I miss folks when they go missing. Anyway Tracie, good work. So good to hear that your daughter is involved too. As many of us have already found out, this de-cluttering bit seems to be contagious and others in our household seem to want to try and do better when they see us doing better. I hope that your daughter will be able to show you how to post pictures here. It isn't really hard, but I post pics so seldom, that I need to be refreshed each time I want to post them. I forget how in between times. You can do it though and I know you want to share you new lovely space with us.

Huck, you made a good point about now being the time to get things done because of our reason for being here in the first place which is gardening and when blessed spring begins to get closer our focus will be on getting out and playing in the dirt. That is unless our area has a repeat of last summer's record breaking high temps which pretty much left me house bound and very rarely garden bound.

One more thing and then I am up and out of here ya'll. Bonnie, I had to chuckle at your answer to your hubby's clutter issue. You go girl!!! Sounds like what I would like to do sometimes, but haven't yet found the guts to do it. I have a feeling that as the years pass and I get more and more years behind me that the day is coming when I will be able to find the guts needed to do exactly the sort of thing you did.

Anyway, while writing this a crisis with the younger son has started. Going to deal with that for a while. Hope you all are all having a great day.

Ruby
ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

January 18, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8317697

Praying all is going well with you Ruby.
Yes, we all bolster each other up. I find I have to do a small project each day, just one shelf or drawer...to overwhelming to tackle the whole job!!
Had water damage to spare room, thank goodness I store most things in totes!! Was so much easier to clean up. Hopefully all will be ok now.
We got lotss and lottsss of snow! Ice!! Rain!! What a mess!!! Would love to go 'crabbing' and be out in the sun!
Planning a rose garden for the church, found some 'subzero' roses I want to try and the prices are 'great'!!
Thank goodness for garden catalogs, help these longs winter days!!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8318235

I have been walking/jogging every day. It clears the cobwebs out of my cluttered mind and is helping me to burn some fat. It lifts my mood, but not as much as gardening does. I have to stay away from the gardening catalogs this year as I have lots of seeds to plant from last year. I envy you, Geraldine!

Started to clean up the wellhouse/pantry yesterday and was overwhelmed pretty quickly. Seemed like I had done this before, where did all this junk come from? Oh yes, I remember. Well, I found a few easy tasks to do and then quit to come back to it some other time. My resolution to gain freedom from clutter means I have to take a break from it from time to time too. ;-)
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8318509

Huck, you're doing great! Weight loss is wonderful! Decluttering is great too. Keep up the great work. You're inspiring the rest of us.

You all are doing wonderfully. It's amazing how we all inspire each other. I'll get back to my regular routine after jury duty is over. So y'all do a little extra exercise and decluttering for me the next two weeks, ok? LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 19, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8319459

I will really, really miss you Butterfly. I hope that you can find the time to check in during the evenings or something.

Lady Slipper, I know all about having overwhelmed feelings. Doesn't take much to overwhelm me actually. You have the right idea about going at it slowly but surely. Huck, I too have to back off from things from time to time too. I hadn't really done anything much de-cluttering, cleaning wise for several weeks and was feeling it.

The thought of making money is what finally got me started this week. It looks as though if I am to get new flooring, I will be paying for it myself since John spent the flooring money on washer and dryer last week. Dang it!! I have a feeling that if some of the excesses sell well, it may be a good chunk going to flooring.

Anyway, good to see all of you. Gonna scoot. Willl check back in tomorrow.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8319546

I'm happy to report that they dismissed me from jury duty today about 3:30 this afternoon. There were 200 people there waiting to see if they were chosen. The judge spent half the morning talking to all of us. Then they called 18 people to sit in the jury box and each lawyer asked them personal questions. That took the rest of the morning and the first half of the afternoon. Then after all of that, they dismissed 10 of the 18 people and then called ten more. I was one of the ten, and they dismissed me too.

So I'll be working this week at the Medicine Assistance program to help Terry get the orders filled. Maybe we can get caught up by the end of next week and I can go back to working just a day a week.

I hope you make enough money on your stuff, Ruby, that you can pay for the new flooring. What fun it is to have something new! I'm sure your sales will do wonderfully!
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

January 19, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8319838

Okay Huck, I got my gym set up, but my daughter has a friend coming for a week on Sunday. As soon as he leaves, I will join you on decluttering my thighs and hips!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2011
9:06 PM

Post #8319944

Oh boy!

BC, Thank you for your intended service to the "justice system". I don't mean to be snarky, but I have served on a grand jury and was alarmed at how it functions. I have not been one to get caught at wrong-doing, but experiencing a tiny part of the system was sobering. For every 10 people indicted, I bet 2 are wrongly indicted. One of the two may go on to be wrongly convicted. It frightened little ol' me to have that kind of power over another person's life. Also, we had to hear children tell of their abuse. Very hard, if not impossible, to be neutral in those cases. It is very important to participate, tho very few of us want to. I hear jury trials are expensive for the county. Plea bargaining is cheaper, and more likely to result in conviction...justly or unjustly. Again,Thank you for your intended service.
Now, get back to work! ;-)
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 20, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8320447

I am very selfish and have grown dependent on your wise words over the past months BC. I was really going to miss you if you had been called to serve and that would have cut in to the time you were able to spend here counseling me. hahaha

Huck, I tell you that the jokes about crooked lawyers is too close to the truth to be funny. I was involved some years back with a custody suit for my younger son and I can tell you that crooked is way too soft a word to use for the judicial system. Scary and bass ackwards seems to be the way it is run.

Recently, and the papers are still not signed yet, we had to hire an attorney to get us out of a sales scam we fell hard for and it ended up costing us loads of money over the past six or eight years. Along with writing Sear a huge check for laundry appliances last week, in a couple of weeks we will be sending double that amount to a lawyer who handled our legal mess. His actual billing hours were double what he agreed to settle with us for, so I suppose we are coming out to the good.

My very best advice to anyone having any sort of legal issues, try and solve without the involvement of a lawyer, if at all possible. If not possible, hope and pray that you get an honest lawyer.

Tracie, here is wishing you the very best of luck in your next down sizing project...weight. I know that one intimately too. Golly, so very easy to put it on and so very hard to get it off. Hopefully you will do well with it and hopefully you will allow us to cheer lead as you diet the excess away.

You ladies enjoy your day.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8321213

My sister and her husband are both lawyers. I worked for my sister when I was younger. Lawyers usually charge by the hour. And anytime you contact them, it costs you a minimum of 15 minutes. So if you call them and the conversation lasts 2 minutes, you're charged for 15. ANYthing they do on your case--any letter, any court appearance, any phone call to anyone on your behalf, taking your papers to the court for filing, etc--costs you by the hour. So keep your contact to a minimum and try to ask everything you can in one phone call. If you're taking papers to the lawyer's office, organize them as efficiently as you can. The more time he takes to organize them, the more you pay.

Huck, I believe just the opposite of you. I think 99.99% of the people convicted ARE guilty. And I think we let a lot of guilty people go free. I've worked for lawyers and for a court reporter. I've heard cases where the guy was clearly guilty, actually admitted to the crime, but the judge let him go; he was a wealthy man in town. The part of law I'd like to be involved in is making tougher penalties for criminals. Ooooh, I have lots of ideas that are too radical for today's society. And from the conversations going on in the courtroom yesterday, I'm not alone in my ideology.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

January 20, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8321637

Okay ladies, daughter's friend leaves Sunday Jan 30, 2011. I promise to start using the treadmill Jan 31, hold me to it!
ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

January 21, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8321828

"Decluttering waist and thighs" I do like that phrase!!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8323550

Okay, I'll admit to watching too much Alfred Hitchcock, where the innocent person is being framed by the guilty party. But I said 2 out of 10 may be innocent, not 8 out of 10. Of course, the trial or hearing is supposed to sort that all out. Let's hope it does!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 22, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8323937

The lawyer working for us now is wrapping the case up thankfully. I suspect by the time he does this it will be costing us another great big chunk of change. It is still cheaper than what someone was claiming we owed if we had just paid off the scam. Anyway...another costly learning experience.

Frome the very little I know about court cases it seems that judges try to be fair the first time a person comes before them. Most will give the warning that they don't want to see you back there again, because next time they will not be as lenient. I know a habitual offender for drunk driving that it is now costing him in the neighborhood of twenty five thousand to pay off fines and such. Oh yeah, he has jail time to pull too.

My son embarrassingly was charged with driving under the influence last March. He has gotten off fairly cheaply for this being the first offense and has so far cost less than a thousand out of pocket. When he gets his license back and needs to purchase another vehicle and insure it is when he will begin paying the big bucks. He was driving a super hot and expensive car for a youngster and we had insured it incorrectly so it was sold for scrap a while back. I refused to make a claim due to the possibility of it affecting our rates. A very expensive lesson here too, hope that he learned it. But only time will tell.

Tracie, I will hopefully be a cheer leader for you as you under take the next down sizing project, your hips and thighs. hahaha I know that I wouldn't be as far along on this de-cluttering of possessions had it not been for the continued support of this group. I thank each and every one for all the words of encouragement.

Ruby

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8324122

Ruby I am sorry you have had so many legal issues to drain you financially. I am not trying to be nibby but you do have me curious about the scam you are talking about. Only from the stand point that any one of us could fall for them. If you feel you can share it may help someone to be on the look out.

I know myself I met a man on the internet. He was from Baltimore area. I was very vulnerable and lonely at the time. I told him I would marry him and even pent 350 dollars for him to come see me for 8 days. I sent him a watch (I only spent 18 dollars on it). Overall I am out around 800 dollars over the course of a year. The first part of last year he told a friend of mine who called him to see why he had not called me. He called her back and sounded awful and told her he fell down an elevator while working. He said he was in intensive care. I called his mom and she said had not talked to him and for me not to call her what is between me and him to deal with it. A light bulb went off that she wanted nothing to do with him. He finally called me and said he was still expected to die. I confronted him with what he told my friend and he lied about each thing. I think I was waiting for the other shoe to drop but it was still hard. I am over it now.
Talk about a scam. I should have seen some of the red flags but I didn't. I am not even caring to have anyone now. I am happy with how things are now.

My DGDs were molested by their cousin while in the other grandmothers care. The first time the police dept (after the second time happened) admitted that the first case, having enough to get the boy, fell through the cracks. My DS is who called CPS both times. This time after 4 yrs from the first time is going to trial on Feb 8th. I hope and pray justice is served and I don't see first hand how bad the system is. He confessed on tape and that should have been all they needed but what do I know?

Again thanks for being here.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8324794

Just got this from my cousin and I felt I needed to post it.

Visa / MasterCard FRAUD
This one is pretty slick since they provide YOU with all the information, except the one piece they want.

Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it.

This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself. One of our employees was called on Wednesday from 'VISA', and I was called on Thursday from 'MasterCard'.

The scam works like this:

Person calling says - 'This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460, Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank). Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a marketing company based in Arizona?' When you say 'No', the caller continues with, 'Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?' You say 'yes'.

The caller continues - 'I will be starting a Fraud Investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1- 800 number listed on the back of your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. 'Do you need me to read it again?'

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works - The caller then says, 'I need to verify you are in possession of your card'. He'll ask you to 'turn your card over and look for some numbers'. There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the last 3 are the Security Numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the last 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, 'That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?'

After you say no, the caller then thanks you and states, 'Don't hesitate to call back if you do', and hangs up. You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back. Within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we were glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of $497.99 was charged to our card. We made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is reissuing us a new number. What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master Card directly for verification of their conversation.

The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit; however, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

It appears that this is a very active scam, and evidently quite successful.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 22, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8324844

Sandy, thank you for sharing these concerns with us. Pooh, pooh on the guy in Baltimore. Yep, there are red flags that we ladies need to pay attention to or we end up paying either financially or emotionally. So sorry you were taken advantage of by him. I have been single a few times as an adult and grew to really like it. If I had not met the laid back and great man I am now married to, I wouldn't care to ever look at someone of the opposite sex at this point in time. Independence is good at times.

So very sorry to hear about your grand daughter's tragedy. Yep, the legal system is slower than molasses. I too hope that justice will be served. Sometimes the system works as it is supposed to and let hope it does in this case.

I haven't advertised the fix that my hubby and I willingly got ourselves in to some years back. I am frankly very embarrassed and feel the idiot, big time. My consolation is that it is only money, not the loss of a loved one which to me would be so much harder. Again, I have been very humbled by this incident and am only sharing it because you asked. The only other soul besides our attorney who knows of this is a girl friend that I confided in some months back.

Hopefully to those reading you have either had the good sense to NOT get involved in Time Share properties, or if you have that you have had a better experience than we did. It is long and involved and I won't go in to it all here, but we started out some years back buying in to one that we actually used a few times and enjoyed. At the time we had the cash. We didn't know all the specifics and the high pressure sales people seem to want it that way. Anyway, on each holiday we were again greeted by some of the best trained sales people in the market. We upgraded a time or two and by then our cash reserves were gone and we ended up with a payment monthly.

Last spring when having to help out my younger son financially, I realized that there was no way that we could pay off the note for the latest upgrade. Since becoming involved with time shares my health has deteriorated and walking has become something I now do the least amount that I can get away with. I am currently using a cane outside of my home and there is no telling when a wheel chair may become necessary. We would not be using the times shares and thinking back on the actual last agreement, things were kinky from the very start.

Yes, stupid as the day is long is how I feel. Anyway, we hired the supposedly best Consumer Advocate lawyer in the state and over the past six or so months have run up a bill for almost eight thousand dollars. This is still less than the time share folks wanted.

I searched online for ways to get out of the agreements and saw that I am in good company with unsatisfied consumers. Horror stories by the dozens. The week of Christmas we received a foreclosure notice and there were thirty five other peoples names on it being sued at the same time.

My attorney tells me that the company has agreed to allow us to deed the property back to them but is has been costly also. I freaked over this because when our attorney had us get copies of our credit reports to him, John's score was 793 and mine was 785, both excellent ratings. We have never been ones to not pay our debts and were horrified at the telephone tactics of these folks. When we were a couple of months past due on the note, we recorded 26 phone calls from them in one day.

Anyway, it has not been fun and we have since learned to never allow ourselves to be pressured in to anything concerning our pocket books again. John's father and sister are both retired attorney's but we didn't whisper a word of our shame to them.

Oh well, life goes on and as I pointed out, this is just money and not the loss of a loved one. All added together over the years of our involvement with this company we have put out over thirty thousand dollars. We have nothing that we can show for it either is the shame of it. I could sure be driving a nice car with that amount, couldn't I?

So, I hope by sharing this that it will indeed, if the economy recovers in our lifetime, prevent someone else from falling in to the trap we did, with our eyes wide open. I also hope that anyone's perception of me hasn't fallen down by too many points. I wish we had been smarter.

You asked for it and you got it. With this I will now be off and eat a bowl of the veggie soup I made earlier. One good thing about all of this is that I have been betrayed a number of times in my lifetime and this hasn't ruined my belief that basically most folks are honest and have good will towards their fellow man. It has certainly been a bitter pill but I have suffered worse and come through it.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 22, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8324849

Yikes Sandy...thanks for the heads up. Glad you were successful in getting it straightened out.

Ruby
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 22, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8325102

Ruby I could never feel less of you. Thank you for sharing.

I also am embarrassed by my actions a few yrs back. I was so very unhappy and did not realize how bad. I won't go into everything but my DH was an alcholic/pain killer addict. When he passed for what we have found things around the house we believe he ODed. I was so niave or stupid for so many yrs and now have found things missing and empty vodka bottles and so forth not to long after he died. We are still finding things. I cried tonight as my heart is still an open sore. This is really embarrassing to admit I was so believing in a fairy tale happy ever after and what I got was a rude awakening on how someone could be so self centered and selfish. I don't call what he did a disease as too many people have quit drinking and using drugs for me to give him any benefit of the doubt.

What I started out telling is that we had excellent credit and I always pd the cards off every month. Well I started buying things on sale and soon had 1000 dollars that I said to myself I can handle that. But I did not stop there. A few yrs went by and 100 more here and there I could tell myself was ok. Then came the day I found myself 18,000 dollars in debt. My DH loved to eat out so it was not just me who did this but I was the one who did the worst of it. We ended up having to file bankruptcy. That along with realizing after he was gone just how bad things were and how very unhappy I really was. It has been a long 4 yrs since he passed. That is why I want to just get the stuff out of my site and just give it away as soon as possible. It is a terrible reminder of what a fool I was all the way around. I have cried tonight till I am just worn out.

Now I hope no one feels any different about me. I shared this to help continue the healing process and hopefully if someone reads this they won't make the same mistakes I did. I was buying to fill a terrible empty sadness inside of me. I only wish I would have been able to see that before having to file bankruptcy and also not stay married to him for 31 yrs. I know I can't change the past but I can heal and make the very best of my future. I sometimes wish he would have hit me as I believe mental abuse is far worse than physical.

I am having second thoughts about posting this but I am hoping by hitting send it will give the past alot less power over my life. We will see how I feel in the morning if I end up deleting this post.

Got to take something for this headache and go to bed. I have worked all day on decluttering and have made a lot of progress.

Thanks again for sharing ladies and being here for me.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

January 22, 2011
9:52 PM

Post #8325180

OK, I have read enough. Before anyone on this thread signs another contract, I need to review it. No charge. I am a retired Vice President with J P Morgan Chase. Time shares are a scam. And they still are a scam. They get you having a wonderful time and reel you in to they spider web.

I have seen enough disasters on credit reports, I think I know all the scams. If it sounds to good to be true, it is. Even getting a divorce, call me before you sign the final papers. Particular items must be addressed in the divorce papers. ie, Account numbers on liabilities the other spouse is responsible for paying. Never put someone under the legal age on title of real property. They cannot release anything because they are not of age.

Love you all but please be aware, the majority of the individuals out in this world today are trying to part you from your money or possessions. Later, Sharon.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8325446

So true, Sharon!! I'm rather cynical (after years of experience with unscrupulous people) so I don't often fall for a scam. I don't give out personal info on the phone. I don't buy anything over the phone. I don't buy anything thru email or internet if the offer is unsolicited. I don't believe everything I read or hear. I check out almost everything. The internet is a great research tool. You can always find company info at the Better Business Bureau website. There are just too many Bernie Madoff's out there.

Sandy, I think many of us can relate to your story. I think most hoarders hoard to fill a void; we're all looking for love and acceptance and we all want to numb the pain. Shopping (or eating, drinking, drugging, etc) can do that; it gives us a temporary high that we don't have in our lives from any other source. What I've come to learn though is that we have to love ourselves--we have to be our own best friend instead of worst enemy. We have to love ourselves enough to do what is right for us, rather than what makes us feel good. That's the tough part. It's hard to love yourself when you've been beaten down by life. But the love we really seek is inside us--like Dorothy's ruby slippers--we always have it with us; we just overlook it. But happiness comes from within, from loving and respecting ourselves enough to change our lives for the better.

Your husband, like any addict, was selfish and self-centered. That's a symptom of the condition. Hoarders are selfish; compulsive eaters are selfish; drug addicts are selfish. It's all about the need to fill the void with something. There's an emptiness that can't be filled but they keep trying. Your husband had a problem; it was not a reflection on you. And don't feel stupid that you didn't know how bad it was. Addicts get good at hiding their addictions. I'm sure you've heard stories of men who didn't even know their wives drank at all or women who couldn't believe their husbands were alcoholics. I'm sure your husband knew he disappointed you so he hid what he could to avoid confrontation and further disappointment.

I believe everything in our lives, whether good or bad, happens to make us better people. So if we learn from our foolish mistakes, those mistakes make us better, more aware, more compassionate and understanding of others. So don't beat yourself up about the mistakes in your past. You're a masterpiece in progress. Your experiences make you wiser and stronger. So learn what you're meant to learn and pack the experiences up and tuck them into a corner of your mind. Fill the rest of your mind with happy thoughts that reaffirm the wonderful being that you are and the better being that you're becoming. Now you have the chance to be the best you can be. Isn't it exciting?? :-)
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 23, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8325557

Hi ladies - Sandy, I too have thought about deleting what I wrote last evening. I will give it a bit more thought. Hey, please don't apologize for having to file bankruptcy. Hubby and I were so close it is scary. What a mess!!!

It is funny how most of our topics usually some how get turned around to the emotions involved in our actions. I look back to the very first contract we signed for the scam. I knew in my heart of hearts it was wrong, but to make my hubby happy, I signed it. This is many years later and I feel I am on a better footing with dear hubby and at this point, I would fight him up and down in order to not get sucked in by something like that again.

I have put much work in to loving and accepting myself over the years. I grew up and spent some years as an adult not likeing myself very much at all. I shudder when thinking of incidents where a low sense of self esteem was responsible for my actions. Oh yeah, I am very familiar with the hoarding tendencies being related to trying to fill a void. I know the period of time and what was occurring in my life when hoarding became an issue for me. Too tied together to even question if they are related or not.

Anyway, Sharon I want you on my side from here on out. What a smart woman you are. Yes maam, before ever signing a contract again, I will give you a holler first. hahaha I am sure that in your job you saw incidents that were totally ridiculous as well as heart breaking for those involved. I am glad that you are getting an opportunity to enjoy some gardening. We are having very low temperatures the past few days.

As always, you ladies are serving as a very great support for me currently and I am very thankful that each of you are here. I learn from each and every one of you. I hope that everyone will have a good Sunday and that the upcoming week will be a good one for you. Take good care friends.

Ruby
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

January 23, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8325594

Ruby, Sandy, thank-you both for sharing your stories. Hubby and I almost got caught in the time share web. We had actually signed the papers, but because of our limited finances at the time we were only able to buy a package with an off season week. When we realized, the same day, this would not work once the children were in school, my husband called the salesperson to cancel. He was treated very rudly and told he was a bad husband and father not to be able to provide this for his family. We stopped payment on our deposit check and when the higher ups called, my husband repeated the phone conversation with th salesperson and threatened to report them to Better Business. They agreed to let us out of our contract.
Time Share salesmen are trained to really pressure you into buying. Ruby, it's a shame that something you bought and enjoyed for a few years will now be the source of more bad memories then good. Please don't hang onto the sense of shame, you are not alone in this. Thousands of people are invested in timeshares and I am sure there are at least one thousand trying to get out.
Sandy, my prayers are with you. It is hard to be the spouse of a person with adiction issues. Your husband knew what he was doing was wrong, but was powerless to stop it. People with addiction issues are great at hiding them. It's also hard when somebody has chronic pain, so there is a reason for the drug. Don't dwell in the past, just ditch the clutter and get on with life!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 23, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8325611

Thank you Tracie. What a kind nurse you are. You are in the right profession honey. Boy did you and hubby luck out. Smart couple there, very smart. Again, as I mentioned somewhere else a bit ago, our emotions at any given time often makes us more vulnerable to the shysters out there. As I said, I try my best to not judge others these days. I am aware of the ills I have brought upon myself and have found myself in situations that I never thought I w ould be in and have done things I never thought I would do. That has allowed me to go easier on other's who find themselves in messes from time to time.

Anyway, we are almost out of the very, very costly gig, a lot smarter than before. As Sharon warned, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true. I need to stamp that on my forehead. hahaha

Thanks to each of you.

Ruby
ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

January 24, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8327272

Good to hear talk on 'time shares', my girlfriend got 'sucked' into one and lost $$$ also.
I realized at this stage of my life (over 60) that it is better to rent, leave the work to others...will rent vacation homes...less stress..and cheaper...no upkeep problems.
I was faced with bankruptcy also when DH passed on but managed to pay off debts...had to sell the house...but now I realize how 'free' I am to come and go without worries.
Would be great if sons had an in-law apt., it would work out for all of us, but their homes have limited land use and they still have teens at home. Usually worry about my pet (cat, Storm) and often even have to go to their homes when they vacation elsewheres.
Will gladly send some nice 'cold' air to anyone!! Deep freeze here in MA...LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 24, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8328390

Hey Lady, you keep the cold up there in Massachusetts. It was really low temps here yesterday and today also. I had to go out today and wore two long john shirts and a pair of women's black silky, but really warm long john pants under my jeans and sweater. I hope to be able to stay inside tomorrow and on Wednesday we will be loading up the items I am taking to have auctioned off. I have a corner of my tv room filled with boxes of things to go. The other stuff will be coming out of the shed and we will just back the station wagons up in front of the shed and pack them on Wednesday and off we go to deliver them.

I believe John said that there will be precipitation on Wednesday, calling for snow at first, but are saying rain now, so we will see when Wednesday arrives.

I always enjoy reading your posts Genevive. Try to stay warm.

Ruby
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8328660

BRRR! Send that cold stuff back to the Arctic where it belongs! We have been looking at the same snow since Christmas and I am tired of white!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8330482

Thank you all for your revealing posts. I suspected you were all genuine human beings, and now I know you are. Let me make that "we". I fell for the oldest sales tactic in the world, the "Limited Time Offer". This was back in my 20's when I decided my happiness depended on a 1 year gymnasium membership that somehow was a LIFETIME membership. There were so many chemicals in the pool, my hair turned bright yellow.
Anyway, I was able to get out of my contract when I moved too far from their franchises. Living in the sticks does have it's benefits!

I am keeping to my resolutions, one item of clutter at a time. When I part with something, I remind myself I am free of it.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 28, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8335115

Awww Huck...I am just about as open and honest as a person will find anywhere. I learned early on that being a fake or telling a lile was just too much work to keep up with. What you see is what you get with me. My ex once called me brutally honest. Hey, he needed for me to be that way. hahaha

Anyway, oh yeah...Gym memberships. Yep, have heard they are boogers too.

As of Monday we signed and notarized an agreement between the time share folks and us. We are both free and clear of each other and there is no way that either of us can come back and try to sue the other in the future.

Now, we are waiting for the legal bill associated with getting this off our backs. Majorly, majorly costly and eye opening. I will repeat what Sharon so wisely quoted earlier in this thread. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Stop, buyer beware!!!

You folks have a great weekend.

Ruby
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

January 28, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8335354

It's amazing the scams out there. One of my staff purchased a face cream from TV which promised to refund your money if you didn't like it. When she called about a refund the number was no longer inservice. Always wondered how they could promise that, now I know. If you can't find them, there is no way to collect on the promise.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8335515

I have a friend that bought a product that promised big results. She did not read the fine print and it cost her 2 times the 38.00. They sent her a second month and it ended up the fine print said you were locked in to a 2 month purchase. Got to always read the fine print.

This is so true
Quoting: Sharon so wisely quoted earlier in this thread. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Stop, buyer beware!!!
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

January 28, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8336115

Years ago I fell for the "6 month free" magazine scam from the electronic store (can't even remember their name now). When you paid with a credit card, they would tell you you were eligible for 6 months free of several different magazines. What I didn't realize was, that if you didn't want it, you had to write and cancel it because somewhere in the fine print you gave them permission to just keep automatically renewing it on your credit card.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 31, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8340379

Yep, yep, yep...there are scammers around every corner. Buyer beware.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8341701

Also if you see a car displayed anywhere and you can win it, read the fine print on the back. You are agreeing to sit through a time share or something like that. Again nothing is free. Everything even these sweepstakes have a high price to enter.

Sleep Well everyone.
Sandy
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2011
9:52 PM

Post #8344307

I am keeping pace with my resolution to be free from clutter in 2011. Two steps forward, one step back, two things out, one thing in...
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8344869

Me too, Huck. I'm moving right along with you. I bought a new highboy dresser over the weekend and had to move my old dresser to the dining room, where it's in the way. It just bugged me. I listed it on Craigslist and a lady bought it within hours! I also gave her my old jewelry box which belonged to my aunt. A year ago, I couldn't imagine giving it up, but I did. The lady's daughter will enjoy it. I just love getting the excess stuff out of here. By the end of the year, I hope to have all the annoyances gone, all the home repairs done, the floors replaced, and everything neat and organized. I'm almost there already! And I'm getting so excited!!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8346108

Good work, BC!

I have a lifelong fascination with the Asian Lunar New Year. It changes every year with the cycle of the moon. The moon has always had a powerful pull on me. As a child, I could not sleep during a full moon. I always wanted to be up, doing exciting things (whatever that meant). I still don't have to be told when there is a full moon. I just know it, because I can feel the pull.
The reason I mention all this, is because I recently read that it is an Asian tradition to clean the home of all old, "bad" stuff and get it ready for the entrance of the new year and, presumably, new stuff. This makes such good sense to me now. In the past, I think I thought "How awful to have to spend a holiday CLEANING HOUSE". but now, I can see not only the wisdom of this tradition, but a beauty in it too. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.
The thing is, you have to have all your work done before the new year begins. If you clean on new year's day, you are sweeping out the good stuff. So yesterday I got up on the roof of the house and swept it perfectly clean of leaves, etc. Didn't have time to clean anything else. Today is the first day of the new year. I'm excited to see if this will help me to achieve my goal of becoming clutter-free in 2011. Every time the moon comes around full, I hope to have cleaned up another mess of mine.
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

February 2, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8346133

Huck, you should consult your doctor, you may be a werewolf, (or would that be your vet?) lol. Seriously, the moon does affect people. Good job with the roof, my house is 3 stories, so forgive me for not following your good example.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8346142

you have a pass from me to not be 3 stories up, especially in the cold!

hey, my veterinarian is so good and so reasonably priced, i have seriously considered becoming a patient there myself.
ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

February 3, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8346279

Felt good to hear of the 'scams' of getting free things or buying and being locked into a $$$$ disaster! Did it also, now I make sure I write down names of all I deal with, date etc...and make sure I cancel on time else they will charge $$$$. I avoid these things now.
I do like the idea of a 1 day a year set apart to do nothing but clean our homes!! If all the family pitches in we could do an awesome job and have fun too!!
Will have to e-mail cleaning products to promote such a day!!
Got 'sun' today!! Have survived so far, snow everywhere, does look like a pretty Christmas card but am tired of looking at it!!
One good thing is that it covered the plants so they should really thrive once it warms up!
Ordered subzero roses, overspent!!! Oh well, did get some great deals and figured if I ordered them at once I would be done.
Have to figure how to plant them when they 'ALL' come in!! My church garden is starting to look great, will send pictures when I figure how to do it!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 3, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8346426

Tracie, I laughed out loud at your comment to Huck about speaking with her doctor/vet. You nut. I loved it!!!! I have heard that births go up at hospitals during a full moon as well as emergency room visits too. I have read about the moon's influence on us as being connected the same it is on the oceans of the earth. We are made up of mainly water so the moon which is responsible for the ocean's tides also affects us due to our water makeup.

All the info I learn from you gals is great. Getting an education without leaving home. Cool Beans.

Ruby
nurseatnite
Middletown, PA

February 3, 2011
9:09 PM

Post #8352497

There are more behavior issues with our dementia patients during a full moon. I really think it has something to do with the air pressure, which is affected by the graitational pull from the moon. Any OB nurse will tell you the full moon birth connection is true, and they say there are more arrests from behavior related problems during a full moon.
Huck, as for the leaves on my third story roof, I have decided that if they found there way up there, they can just as well find their way back down!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 11, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8366617

hahaha, you are too cute Nurse. You must have the same thought as my hubby and we have only a one story house. The chair he usually sits in has him facing my desk. I put out a box of gutter caps many months ago on the side of my desk which is in his direct line of vision. Hasn't done a bit of good. hahaha Only time it bother me is when there is a heavy rain and there is a clogged up area right over our front door, which we don't use, but I do often have the inside door open to let the sun shine through the glass storm door. No sun on rainy days, I realize but sometimes it is sunny in morning and rainy in afternoon. hahaha

howlllll, bayyyyy, howwwlllllll baaaayyyyyyy

Ruby
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8819950

Just happened on this thread very intersting. Wanted to let you all know. I have been in the window treatment bus. for 30 years and never recommend dry cleaning of drapes to any client. The high steam and solvents cleaners use either shrink drapes and lining differently or discolor them altogether by the dye running in the fabric. INSTED: Simply take them down, put in dryer with no heat (after removing the drapery pins) and tumble for about 10 minutes. This removes the dust which is fabrics worst enemy. I have drapes still hanging in homes that are 20 some years old. If it is a cornice vacuum with upholstery brush or round brush that comes with many vacuums. Some folks dust with slightly damp cloth which is usually safe for most fabrics. Hope this helps!
Regarding others posts-Been married 55 years and am glad husb. and I are fairly tight with our money. Everything we have has been paid off for many years. Have to give him most of the credit for that. He always said he would never retire if he owed a penny and that was 12 years ago. We live in the land of scams perpetrated on older citizens-Florida. We have had to buy on credit many times but were fortunate to be able to always pay things off. The Lord has been very good to us and we try to live honestly for him. None of us know what the future holds but we sure can know who holds our future.
As we age we are slowing down a bit but that is to be expected. We all work our bodies very hard. I had 3 jobs at the same time when my 4 children were little and we were remodelilng homes at that time. My mom was my biggest cheerleader and helper. When she became ill I walked away from my bus. for 3 mos. to return to CT and take care of her until she passed. I always thank God I was able to do that. What an honor. I also took care of my husbs. dad and stepmother until they passed and at that time I had 4 teenagers who were pretty good at helping me out with them also.
When I look back over time and stop griping about foolish little things I realize how truly blessed we are.
To all of you who have lost money for various reasons put it behind you and forget it. As I tell my husb. all the time its only money and if its gone we can make do without it. Boy do I get a look but thats about it.
Take care all and continue to be each others cheerleaders. We all need one at times. Blessings to all. Bonnie
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 23, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8820548

Thanks for writing Bonnie. Such wisdom in your words. Sounds as though you and hubby have done okay and aren't hurting for anything. Yes, we all need to stop and look and honor the important things in our lives. Yes indeed, losing or wasting money really stinks and gives us the old pinch, but I am of the same mind set as yourself...it is just money, it is not a life or anywhere near worth losing a life.

I too feel blessed to be able to say that sanity and calm emotions are so much more highly valued to me than the almighty dollar which isn't worth too much these days and times.

As for the drapes, my mom was able to invest in good draperies for her home when I was a senior in high school. Those drapes were finally taken from the windows probably about ten years ago and at the time I had been out of high school for almost thirty years. Other than some sun fading on some of them, I only saw one pair that seemed to have some wear in one of the seams. I was truly amazed at the quality of those things.

Ruby
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8822490

Ruby,
Quality work will last and when I design and make anything I always remember my name is on that product and I want to be proud of it. If I make money on a job wonderful if I loose money cause I didn't estimate the time right so what. I still keep going.
Oh Ruby we still sweat some unexpected bills also but somehow we manage to pay them and just keep on keeping on.
Everything we have is only on loan from the Master. We won't need for a thing in our final home (Heaven). As long as my kids, grand kids and great grands are OK I'm very happy and thankful. Money is a fleeting item. Can't take it with you and I know some who have tried and I just laugh. Only thing that bothers me is when I see someone suffering physically or mentally and I always try to help them in any way I can even its only praying for them.
You know the old saying -when the Lord brings us to hard times he takes us through those hard times and we either get better or bitter. All depends on the way you respond to it. Have faith Ruby it will carry you all thru life.
I have to remember this everyday and it keeps me smiling.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2011
9:15 PM

Post #8824140

I read a GREAT book "Lighten Up..." (can't remember the subtitle) and attended a great class on decluttering. One of things it taught to overcome that excuse "but I paid good money for that", yep, and the money is gone and you can't get it back.. You don't have to keep the item if you no longer want it, love it, need it or have room for it! Give yourself permission to get rid of it, sell it, donate it, throw it out but whatever you do, GET IT GONE!

Several years ago I sorted thru BOXES and boxes of Christmas decorations. I had several different themes. I finally decided I would keep what supported ONE theme and all the rest I boxed up for giving away. I was afraid I'd regret it so I let the boxes sit in my living room until I was "sure". When I did pass on all those boxes I felt GREAT! I gave away more than twice as much as I kept.

"Things" take up more than physical space. They take up emotional space.

I read everything in this thread. Thank you all for heart felt sharing of your life, the good stuff and more difficult "learning adventures". I think I became a potentially better mental health counselor by some of the mistakes I have made in my life. I made mistakes I would NEVER have thought I was capable of. It gives me greater compassion for my clients and understanding that we all have things we regret and need to move on from.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8824620

Great points, Pat!

I too had trouble parting with my Christmas decor. I had some very nice pieces and tons of it. But I hadn't decorated in years since my son is in Ireland and never comes home for Xmas. I have a few pieces in my flea market booth, but if they don't sell by the end of next month, I'm donating them to one of our charity auctions. Many of these items are still new in their packages. And it just ate away at me that I bought them and never used them. Soon, the reminders of my silliness will be gone and hopefully the memory of it shortly after. LOL I've also learned to stop being an impulse buyer too. I no longer go shopping "for fun".

NancyAnn
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 8, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8840768

Bonnie, I agree with your sentiments. I know that it was a hard lesson for me to learn that my needs would be taken care of. I have had so many experiences when I felt down and out and didn't know if I would survive and I can honestly now look back over the years of my life and see The Lord's work in each of the issues where I felt helpless and hopeless. Everything worked out for the best for all concerned and that is something I need to always remember if I find myself going the way of worry and fear. I don't have it perfectly yet, but I am a lot quicker catching on than I used to be. A lot less of a worrier these days.

PAT!!!!!!! So great to see you after so many years. Good grief, you just made my day. I hope that things are going especially well for you these days. It is always a treat to see someone who has played an important role in our lives. I am wishing everything sweet and good for you. I hope that you will post more often. I would love to hear what you have been up to the past few years. Good to see you.

Butterfly, how cool to be able to be reaching a point where you will no longer be reminded of less than noble pursuits. I have been proud of my progress as far as staying out of stores and making sport of shopping too. I learned that from participation in the Clean and Clutter Free boards last year. If I wanted less things sitting around, I needed to stop bringing them in. Simple as that, but hard in reality if we have achieved some sort of feel good experience from the shopping or amassing.

Thanks for the input gals. Have a great weekend.

Ruby

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8840796

Good to see you too Ruby! I hang out in the sewing quilting forums for the last few years. When Paws moved over to the "other universe" I just couldn't keep up with two sites.

Fabric is my downfall and I'm trying hard to overcome it. I'm trying to MAKE up the projects and not bring home anymore fabric unless it is NEEDED to finish ONLY what I am actively working on. Recently I did a head count and realized I had 20 projects either "began" or "being collected for", THAT is ridiclous!

We finally started working on remodeling the former 4th bedroom & full bath and turning it into a rentable studio apartment. We got a call that a freind of ours had hired a man from Tennessee and needed housing in less than a week. We kicked into high hear, finished the electrical and raising the floor to level with bathroom etc and then hit a snag... well to be more exact a water pipe!!! It took my Sweetie a couple of days to fix the damage and get back on track. Our renter is "IN" but the room is not finished. The renter willing to tolerate us working on it while he gets the room 1/2 price.

My Sweetie has a revision surgery planned 10/25 and I am trying to get all my ducks in a row for Bariatric surgery in November I hope.

I moved from Boise almost 2 years ago to take the job of a mental health crisis worker. Ben stayed behind for almost 9 months to get our house finished and sold. My Dads health continues to decline, and his house hasn't sold. That about brings you up to date!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 11, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8845072

Dang, dang, dang...lost another paragraph or so I had written Psych. The main point I wanted to make was that I am so happy to hear that your dear hubby still has the Sweetie name. How cool that you still adore him. I too still adore my man too. Last Friday was our 16th wedding anniversary.

If collecting fabric is your main downfall or shortcoming...you are doing good. I have a bad tendency to love a lot of things and my decor shows that fact very well. I have recently lost my cleaning lady of fifteen or so years and I am beginning to do some thinking about the amount of knick knacks sorts of things sitting around now that I will be the one dusting them. So far, so good but I know that I despise dusting and I can't see myself spending too much of my precious time on dusting so many extras. I loved them as long as someone else was maintaining them.

I hope that both yours and Ben's surgeries go well. If you recall, I spent several years doing five separate plastic surgeries in order to reconstruct my breasts after a mastectomy. That was years ago now and I haven't gone under the knife for some time now thankfully. Phew, what a majorly hard few years they were on me. Things are quiet for now and I am slowly accepting the limitations that age and disease has placed on me. Not as spry as I once was...but I keep on plugging.

Again, great to hear from you and hear good news from you. I hope that your marriage will continue to be great and that life will continue treating you well. Take care.

Ruby
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2011
2:53 AM

Post #8857812

Pull out your paper and pencil/pen and write down "50 things that you can get throw out " now . A few nights ago while browsing on some of the Organizing blogspots, I came across information on a book written by Gail Blanke, who is a well known motivator. She has her own website and blog if you want to check it out. I'm going to look in B&N for the book or order it from Amazon. The name of the book is called "Throw out Fifty things"
Since I have been thinking about some of the things I know and have been wanting to get rid of and just haven't done it. Seems my inward clock and bladder know when 3:30 am rolls around. Once I'm up, I'm wide awake for a few hours. I find something to do till I get sleepy again.

Amazing how many things come to your mind when you need to make a list. I've already come up with 21 items to get rid of. This week end, I will get 3 boxes and start pulling out those things. Some I will discard, some I will mark for charity donations, some I will gather to donate to our Santa Shop at church. I bet you have things that you keep saying you're going to get rid of because you don't need or don't use anymore. Pull out a clean piece of paper and start making your list. I understand that there is a workbook that goes along with this book or is in this book where you can write down your intentions and your accomplishments and keep track. Now if you have 50 of one category(example: 50 pieces of costume jewelry) that would only count as 1 thing/item.

With the weak economy, so many charities are calling wanting donations and this is a good way to clean out some of your clutter and help somebody else. I've got Salvation Army coming on Nov. 3rd. for a recliner and color tv that is Cable Ready. I can donate used books back to the public library store to be resold. An old pair of Fireman boots that have to be over 20 yrs. old are going into the next trash pickup. Have to slip them out of the garage rafters without DH knowing it.

Weight loss material/books that are now obsolete will be discarded. Everything is so accessible on weight loss blogs or on the internet now. Think of all the hardback books for the "new diet books" you've purchased with honorable intentions, read it once or twice and into a bookcase it went.

One of our small Bible Study groups at church are collecting cleaning supplies to send or distribute to Flood victims that were hard hit by Tropical Storm Lee and Hurricane Irene. I'm sure we all have plenty of cleaning products that we bought and haven't used that can be donated.

I'm pumped and I hope this message will encourage others to do the same. Make sure you write down any large items that you want to claim for a tax deduction, like my Salvation Army donation on Nov. 3rd.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 21, 2011
5:46 AM

Post #8857943

All great ideas Pippi. I haven't yet had time to look up Gail Blanke, but plan to soon. One thing I know I have a lot of and am actually guilty of even purchasing another this week is books on becoming clean and clutter free. hahaha It is a topic I can't seem to get enough of. Oh well, I could be pursuing things that would be a lot worse for me than the books, so I won't be too hard on myself.

Currently my major decluttering work will be sorting through the old family papers. I have mentioned a couple of times already that it is turning out to be a much lengthier time wise project than I realized it might be. It will be great to get it done though and hopefully make either family members or historical societies happy.

Keep us updated on your progress Pippi.

Enjoy the weekend everyone.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8858222

I'm not sure I have 50 things left to get rid of. I've done great getting rid of my clutter. I sold a bunch in a flea market, a bunch on ebay and craigslist, had a yard sale a few weeks ago, and ran some ads in the newspaper. I also donated some new items to our charity auction which benefits cancer patients. Last night I sold a Sizzix set (a big die cutter with 100 dies and other accessories) and I threw in a bunch of scrapbooking supplies to the lady who bought it all. She bought some stuff from me last year and it turns out that we both work for the same charity. We spent 3 hrs last night chatting and go thru some of the cards she's made to donate to cancer patients. So fun!

I recently bought about 100 books of various authors I like to read. A couple of them Pippi turned me onto, thank you very much! In the past, I would have kept every book I've read. But now, as I read them, I pass them along to my sister since she likes the same authors. So that's some clutter I've gained control of. I have the books neat and tidy in a nice cabinet. I read a couple of books weekly and then put them in a stack for my sis. I no longer feel compelled to hoard them. So maybe that's my list of 50...or 100.

I have a few other things I culled out to sell and some people are coming to get them. I need the money to buy a newer car. (My van is 15 yrs old and would really like to retire.) So any money I can make goes into my "car fund".

It's really exciting to have neat, organized cabinets and closets and "white space" throughout my house. I don't know how I tolerated wall-to-wall bookshelves back when I kept every book I ever read. My house must have been so dark and dreary. I love the openess now. And it's so much less to dust. I don't remember having breathing problems before, but I'm sure I breathe cleaner air now. I know people comment on how pretty my house is now and they come to visit for hours, rather than rushing off soon after arriving. And I like that.

Keep up the good work, ladies, thanks for posting all your tips and ideas.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8858819

I am having great success selling stuff on Facebook! (of all places!) There are several Facebook pages in my tiny US Army community here in this town that are like virtual yard sales. I have sold (and bought) everything that you would normally find at yard sales & flea markets. I am happy at how easy it is and how convenient :-)
This is the wave of the future ~and I am LIKEing it~ I joined or liked the different pages and opted for emails whenever something is posted so that I could get an idea of what was happening and was real happy to see that things usually sold quickly. I like this a lot! You just need to see what is in your area and see if this would work for you.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 22, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8858888

That is great news Juney. A few months back when we were trying to sell my son's four wheeler ATV, I ran an ad on yardsller.com at Facebook, or something like that. No hits through that avenue, but we did finally did sell it locally and it finally got paid off. Hallelujah!!!

I haven't had a chance in over a month to access my facebook account. I am sure that I am missing all sorts of things that my extended family is in to. I need to get the word out to them that currently it is not a good idea to leave message on facebook for me, because I won't see them. If something is important for me to know...call me. haha

Hope you ladies have a great weekend.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8859043

Juney, congratulations on your success!! Our city has a yard sale thing on Facebook too but I've never used it. I'm just not a Facebooker. I know it's the trend these days, but there seemed to be a lot of useless chit chat on the yard sale thing. I prefer the classified ad look of Craigslist, where I don't have to weed thru all the conversation. The only thing I do on Facebook is check up on my son, who no longer calls or emails. He says, "Moooooom, just check me out on FB and you can know everything about me. I don't have time for emails." Well, at least I can see he's still alive! LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 23, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8859974

I too was using Facebook to keep up with family but have really lost touch in the past couple of months. I hope that mainly my nieces know that they will need to contact me via phone if there is something important for me to know and no longer rely on Facebook to update me on things, because at the present I just dont use it much.

Wish me luck on getting my house tidy today. I am facing a house in which nothing was done yesterday and so there are dishes in the sink, drinking glasses sitting on counters and shopping bags galore in several spots waiting for me to put away. I took the day yesterday to plant shop and dollar tree food shop and came home with a load of goodies. The shopping took too much out of me to leave energy to put away last night.

I need to re-pot the few houseplants I purchased too so that will be the fun part of the day. I hadn't been any where to buy plants for quite a while, so it was fun to find a few bargains yesterday. I went in search of Purple Passion plants and finally found two at Home Depot. I had visited Lowe's first and didn't find pp but found several cups of succulents for 75 cents each. I also purchased eight or ten small pots they had close out prices on too. I will use them for potting house plants that I plan to sell.

I currently have about ten different types of houseplants spending their cold weather months in the front window of the Pharmacy I use. The owners agreed to allow me to put them there in order to sell. So far have sold four in the past couple of weeks, so that suits me fine. I also found more pots at Dollar Tree that I will use to sell plants also, so the shopping trip was successful.

Anyway...way off topic. Here is hoping that everyone reading will have a great week coming up. Stay well all.

Ruby

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8860162

Ruby, I can sure understand not having the energy to put it all away. Selling plants sounds like fun! I hope you manage to get everything done that you need to in order to find peace.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 24, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8861825

Hi Pat - PHEW!!!! It is now 3 PM and about all that I have accomplished today is making business calls. I suppose I should give myself credit for finally doing that, but a bit ago for some dumb reason I pulled out a magic erase cleaner sponge and started working on the tub and the surrounding tile. I had the bathroom door shut, thick jammies on and worked up a sweat and a bad attitude to go along with it. I came out and told John that I feel as though I am running in place these days and not getting anywhere at all.

What he reminded me of was that in the past few months I have taken on lots of new responsibilities, and I need to take that in to consideration and not beat myself up over what I am not getting done. That is so true but is difficult with someone who suffers from a perfectionists attitude and an uncooperative body. I am down to a few little food items that are still in bags and not put where they belong from the shopping spree.

When John and I were chatting, he pointed out that three days of my week are now taken up with long babysitting hours which has cut back on task time as well as rest time for me. While talking I also realized that my cleaning lady who has worked with me for almost fifteen years hasn't been here for some months either and I suppose I am feeling the affect of her being unavailable. I suppose the most simple thing to do would be to lower my standards somewhat. I did pass a test yesterday by allowing visitors in to visit and see my unkempt house. If they are anything like I am, I come to visit people, not look at the condition of their homes. So,hopefully they looked past the bags sitting everywhere and the other things that weren't done at the time.

Well, it is now almost an hour later. A repairman came and interupted my typing. Thankfully, my mood changed a bit for the better too. I have a fan blowing on me, the doors and windows are open and I am enjoying the last of good weather before opening windows and doors isn't an option due to being too cold outdoors.

I am sure you didn't think you were going to get such a long reply from your one statement message Pat. Thanks for reading and caring. Hope that things are going well for you and Sweet Ben.

Ruby

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8861836

Sweetie had surgery on Tuesday and it was more complicated that we thought it was going to be. The MD did a revision on his "stump" and he will not be in his prosetic for 2 to 3 months per the MD. Ben didn't discharge until Thursday night. and I was supposed to be on call for Friday, Sat, & Sun but ended up calling in someone to take over for me. Ben ran a fever and I could not leave him. I'm hoping his recovery goes smoother from this point on.

Ruby, just not having your cleaning lady for these past months is HUGE!!! Goodness...

Back to my sewing room. I'm cleaning and organizing plus I need to have a back for a quilt ready for Friday.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 24, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8861849

Dear Pat - Gosh, I didn't expect such a quick reply. I know that you live a very busy life and am not sure of your computer time schedule. My computer time schedule is definitely off a bit today. I normally do my major stuff in the mornings and only on occasion will be here in the afternoons.

Thank you so much for sharing about Ben's surgery. I remember you mentioned he was going to have it, but I didn't realize it had already been done. I am so sorry that he has run in to complications, and really hope along with yourself that things turn around for him and that it will be smooth sailing from here on.

I know that you made the right decision about switching work hours. Of course you wanted to be there for him while he was as ill as he was. We cannot imagine how tough the surgery must have been for him. That he does as well as he does, is a miracle. I hope that while you are playing nurse maid for the next little while, that you will remember to give yourself the attention you need and make sure that you are able to stay healthy.

I am glad that you derive the pleasure from the quilting that you do. I feel that way about my house plants. I am my happiest when tending them. I can forget the whole world while involved with the plants and that is definitely needed when a person lives a rather stressful life. Who doesn't live a stressfu life these days?

Anyway...as I said earlier, maybe I am going to have to begin to lower some of my standards as far as housekeeping goes. Most of it doesn't really matter in the long run. I want my surroundings neat because I feel better when they are, but need to do some adjusting to fit other activities in along with the chores. Trying to find a happy balance will be my goal.

Anyway...give my best to Ben. I do hope that the recovery from the surgery is timely and complete. You take good care of yourself too.

Ruby

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8861871

TODAY he is supervising a young man do wiring and some more of the remodeling in the studio!! LOL... I know, I know, we both are overachievers and if he doesn't get to do some of this stuff he'll just settle into a deep depression. Scares me to see him holding onto the door frame and hopping down the 2 stairs to get to the utility room where he completes the journey to the to the studio in a roller chair!

We've arranged to borrow a wheelchair so we can ge him from the car into the MD office for appointment later this week. At home he just scoots around on our wheeled office chairs.

I generally check my mail before work in the morning and leave most responses to do in the evening.

At work we are being pushed hard to "see more clients", at least 50% of our time is to be with a client. That's great until most of your appointments no show. You have to cancel because you get called out on a crisis... and crisis work takes HOURS of paperwork... *sigh*
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8862939

Ruby, Just stopping by with a Birthday wish for you! Many happy returns!

And for the perfectionist that lives inside us and longs for expression a wish that we all continue to perfect the matchup of our ideal and our real to reflect our current circumstances. Perfection is not static or an end, but a process and like beauty, often in the eye of the beholder. I believe it is also something while alive, we will never attain but can declare often.

So, everyone...Have a perfect day!

Thumbnail by coleup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

October 25, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8863443

Happy Birthday Ruby! Praying you have a 'blessed' new year!
WoW!! Many workers here!! Have to get my winter clothes out!! Has been warm up til now...
Have been busy, did some canning and will use some tomorrow to make 'hamburger soup'...hopefully will help with my calorie count.
Family is aware of 'one in, one out' policy and has really helped with unneeded gifts. Now I get some great preserves and things I really enjoy.
Christmas comming up and getting their favorite things...and found out that many of these things cost uder $20.
Favorite candies, jams, shampoos etc...hardest part is trying to remember during the year what each likes so I know what to buy or make.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 30, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8869328

Hello Pat, Judy and Geraldine...so good to see each of you. A grouping of three of my favorite chatters...that is a good birthday surprise. As you can tell, I have had a busy birthday week. I am just now getting around to many of the threads I try to keep up with.

Pat, I imagine it is scary for you sometimes to watch Ben attempt things that should be left for someone else to do. I can sympathise with both of you though because since being diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy six year ago, I know that I sometimes really scare John when I attempt to do things above my level of ease. It is he that encouraged me to finally buy a walking cane and begin using it. He was right, it does give me confidence about my gait. I am still somewhat embarrassed by having to use it, but things could truly be a lot worse and if this is as bad as it gets, I don't have too many complaints.

Cole, I love the slogan. Makes perfect sense. For the most part and involving most of past decisions, I can say that yes indeed, the lessons I learned along the way has been what has formed me in to the person I am today...and fifty six years later I can actually say she is a right good old gal. Heck, it took till about age forty for me to accept myself and all my flaws. Until that age, I was often quite miserable because I did stew over past mistakes and had great fears of my future. Just last week one day I was telling my older son that it is good that we are unable to see the future because had I known beforehand all that I would be called upon to deal with in this life, I might have taken another route and not even lived the life that was given me. Thankfully, when there is time in between crisis, we have the ability to heal and accept whatever bad has come our way and often times grow stronger for it and be better equipped to handle whatever the next bad thing is that comes along we have to deal with.

It was at about age forty that I made up my mind that the second half of my life would not be wasted with so much negativity and defeat that I seemed to have had in the first half of my life. So far, so good and I can truly say that life is great the majority of the time and I am grateful each morning that I awake and have another day to enjoy life and all of its blessings. Believe me, I am not Pollyannaish. My pursuit of happiness has been costly. It cost me shedding most of my formerly held beliefs and trying a new way of thinking. While writing this and giving thought to the subject I can see that Pat too seems to have much the same attitudes towards life that I believe I do. I bet she can attest that being able to keep a good attitude and trying to be upbeat often goes against our grains because most all of us have had things happen in our lives that we wished would have never occurred and would put many a less willed persons in to the category of basket case. I feel as though I spent too much of my earlier life feeling like a basket case and if I have any power to refuse to go there again, I will do what it takes to prevent that sort of trip again.

Good grief ladies...I have no idea where these thoughts are coming from. I am just writing what I am thinking. Very deep stuff for sure. It must be that I am going to encounter something at some point soon that these reminders of my beliefs need to be given attention to in order for me to continue on with the good fight. None of this is to say that I don't sometimes get knocked down, feeling as though I am getting kicked in the stomach by what life sends me but realizing that I am so much better at handling these things than in the past and thankfully am usually able to recover a lot quicker than I was able to when younger and less experienced.

Anyway...Geraldine...so good to hear you speaking of the upcoming holidays. We always need things to look forward to. Hey, saving money is the name of the game these days. I have decided that I am doing the holidays a lot differently this year. In years past I have rushed around, getting stressed in the process and many times ending up resentful for feeling responsible for making everyone around me happy.

The main gifts I am concerned about giving are to my two young grand children. After seeing the hoards of toys they have received on birthdays this past year put me in the thought of not adding to the hoard by buying more of them. I have already on their past birthdays spent very little on a gift for them and instead put money in a bank account for them. The shopping I have done so far has been at The Dollar Tree stores that I like shopping at. I have found a few things for them that I believe they will enjoy and I am not going to worry myself sick over buying more than I can afford or more than I can comfortably shop for since becoming less mobile with each passing year.

Now, if when the holidays get here, someone can convince me to finally get rid of some of the decorations I have stored in the attic, I will be set. Each year I lug out six or eight large storage bins full of decorations. I usually end up displaying very little and all the work associated with getting these things in and out is bordering on ridiculous. There, I admitted it. Maybe this will be the year that I am able to bless someone else with my leftovers. We will see when December gets here.

I want to wish each of you a good week coming up. Yep, the cold weather seems to have arrived. Our conversations here will take on new topics indoor topics now. I hope to continue seeing each of you post often with life's updates.

Ruby

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8869495

Ruby, SEVERAL years ago I sorted thru my Christmas stuff and now, I honestly only have what I use! It was a pleasure to sort it into piles. One pile to give my sister, one to my SIL who loved snowmen and another to donate. That made the thinning of the "stuff" emotionally much easier. Like I said before though, I let it sit in boxes in my livingroom for several days to give myself "are YOU SURE you want to give ALL this away?" and the answer was YES!!! and it felt wonderful to be free of the stuff!

Why not give yourself a reasonable limit of Christmas boxes, and thin it down to that? Pledge to bring it ALL down from the attic and only keep what you use this year? Donate the rest, the thrift stores REALLY benefit as the Christmas stuff sells REALLY well.

The hard times get easier to bear when you can look back and see the blessings that came from them. My ex & I would never have bought that expensive piece of commercial real estate if the lease holder of our old office hadn't decided to not renew our lease after 15 years! The company next door wanted to expand so they gave us notice! But guess what? the new people only signed for a ONE year lease and after that ONE year, that office has set empty for the 10 years since!! LOL

The non-renewal forced us into buying property at a time that I NEVER would have. We had enough stress in our life at that point. He was facing neck surgery, we had moved into a different house... nevertheless, we got the big Cosmic Boot and it was in our best interest.

I can think of many other trials that provided blessings in the end. It doesn't make the trial (while in the midst) any easier, but the knowledge that all things can work for our good does seem to ease a little of the pain.

Ruby, where do your grand kids live? Close by? Could you start a tradition of making decorated sugar cookies together at the holiday? Or a gingerbread house? Something they can look forward to each year? The gift of time rather than more "stuff".

*sigh* my break is over, back to the studio to work. Zhu and I are putting in the laminate floor!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 31, 2011

Post #8870524

First off...who is Zhu? I can only imagine it is some really cute small pup of some sort.

It is now 1:30 PM and I haven't done anything other than hold on the phone while the customer representative at my new insurance company tried to understand the debacle that has occurred since trying to save a little money by changing insurances recently. Boy have you folks missed my ire over the situation. I have been almost too angry to begin talking about it because it has surely been a frustrating and anger producing mess. I was ready to write my Congress Man or Congressman...which is correct? Hmmmm...anyway...it is not totally settled yet but the one and half hours that this particular rep spent with me trying to figure things out was better than the other calls I have made concerning this and only hung more angry after the calls than before making them. So, I believe I am going to see the light at the end of tunnel, finally.

According to this guy, I was keyed in to their system incorrectly and that is what has caused the major mix ups at the pharmacy. According this this guy, hopefully by Friday of this week I will be reimbursed two hundred and thirty two dollars that I paid for a medication that I was told would cost me six dollars and fifty cents. I can use that money for something else that is for sure.

I hear you Pat on getting rid of Christmas things. At this point I still look at all of it and really love all of it. I have a sentimental attachment to it you might say. DUH!!! I was thinking of someone I could gift with some of it. I keep thinking that I still have a son who will some day set up house keeping, and so maybe I should fill one of the bins for him with some of the better stuff. Knowing that I sorted and saved the very best and that it will hopefully be loved and used some day may make getting rid of some of it easier for me.

I like your idea for starting a Christmas Tradition with the grand children. Emily is four years old and wants to help me do everything in the kitchen. She wants to help me prepare baked goods and even finds washing dishes a lot of fun. She begs to wash dishes. hahahaha Isaac is eighteen months old and he is my laundry helper. I take the wet clothes out of the washer and he puts them all in the dryer for me. He is the tough one to try and keep busy and occupied and out of trouble. Both are quite hand fulls.

Yes, they live close by. They are in a town across the mountain as we say here and the drive between houses takes less than thirty minutes. Some months back I became their official baby sitter while their folks work. My son works an evening shift and my daughter in law goes in midday usually and gets off usually about 7 PM. though on Wednesdays she closes the dog grooming shop and doesn't get here until almost 10 PM. My son brings them here about 1 or 1:30 three afternoons a week. Wednesday is the long day and I sleep like a log that night each week.

I will give the Christmas Cookie idea some thought. I remember each year when I was growing up that I always joined my mother when she and a couple of her co-workers got together to bake Cherry Winks. They made dozens and dozens of them and they could be frozen, so we had Cherry Wink cookies for months in our freezer. So very yummy. I found the recipe a couple of years ago and want too give baking them a try. Maybe this will be the year.

Enjoy your day.

Ruby

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8871334

No, Zhu is our Chinese renter, well, he's more like a quest! A friend called to say he had hired a young man that was Chinese and just graduated with a Phd. He needed housing and there was NOTHING here that was available or affordable, was our studio ready for renting?

We agreed, if the renter didn't mind that we continue to work on it. Long story short, he has been a wonderful guest and has helped us every step of the way. We have only charged him 1/2 of what it should rent for as compensation for his help and the studio not being finished. We didn't even have water the first day he came!! Ben had accidently hit a water line when we were working on the plumbing and had to shut down the whole house to fix it.

One weekend Zhu helped me cut down and chop up 3 big bushes to make room for more parking.

My former Mother-in-law would take the kids and make sugar Cookies. Because my boys had all helped me or at least WATCHED me, they understood you cut them as close as possible without overlap. MIL said she could take all 4 of mine with less work than the other grandson who was clueless and had to watched or he'd cut them all wrong.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 5, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8877923

I was way, way off with guessing about Zhu. How funny!!!! Well, it sounds as though it is a win/win situation you have going on there. Too cool.

I have allowed Emily to help me in the kitchen on several occasions. I have to keep a keen eye because she wants to get ahead of herself in the steps of the recipe. Being four years old she isn't reading and I don't read the directions out loud to her, so she just wants to guess what is coming next and we have had a few close calls on her almost ruining a mixture or two.

I have to be in a relaxed mood in order to allow her to "help."

Hope that you and all readers are having a good weekend.

Ruby

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8877942

Out camping once, I was cooking for a group of teenage girls. One the girl "helpers" dumped the whole bag of spagetti noodles into the water before it was boiling... just about couldn't salvage that mess!!

Last weekend Ben & a helper got the kitchen sink plumbed in, all the formica on the kitchen counters, base cabinets secured to walls in the studio. THEN Zhu and I laid the laminate flooring. I finished and hung the new curtains. Ben got the door repositioned and hung this week. We've been working all along but this week is when it really started to SHOW!! Zhu wanted some under the cabinet lighting installed in the kitchen and then we pretty much will wait until he moves out to do the rest. He doesn't care if it's painted or not. I'm looking forward to all that paneling being painted a light yellow.

With the studio closer to done we now can discard, donate and sell all the "extra stuff". It will be so nice to get more OUT of this house. Right now with Ben in a roller chair I have had to roll up all our area rugs so he can navigate easier.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 6, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8878804

Hello again Pat. Hey lady, I missed being in touch through out your move to the new house evidently. The remodeling of the studio sounds interesting. When you have a moment, write and catch me up as to how you ended up living here and all. i didn't realize you two were moving but it sounds as though you and Ben are both thrilled with the new place.

When we first moved here about six or seven years ago we had a lot of remodeling done. Not so much since though John did put down a new laminate floor in the kitchen and laundry room. I also had a carpenter come in two summers ago I believe and put a sliding glass door in to the spare bedroom which opens out on to the front deck. Since putting the door in, the room is now dubbed as the plant room because that is where the majority of my super huge houseplant collection spend their winters. I wasn't really happy with the way it looked last winter so I purchased a three tiered glass and metal plant stand from a florist who was selling out and that is holding the majority of the plants sitting in front of the door and the plants seem to like it well enough. I sure like the looks of the room better this year.

Anyway...looking forward to hearing how the new digs came about.

Ruby
ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

November 28, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8908713

Praying all had a happy Thanksgiving...been busy...we got some wicked bad weather, early, heavy snow storm...many had no electric for over a week...praying we don't get anything more like this weather we have been having. Bought a chainsaw and accessoraries for sons to be prepared, we do have many old trees around power lines and our homes. Some already damaged by tornado and hurricane this year. Also going to try to get a generator, son is looking into one, hopefully he finds what he likes or will buy one at Lowe's. I don't want to go to a shelter for weeks in freezing weather...and no electric.
Was very sad at work to have all these peoples comming in looking for batteries, lanterns, saws, generators and anything that they could use. We were sold out many times...and people were getting very frustrated. It has brought many together to survive and be more friendly of their neighbors...had to check on neighbors, did find some suffering from cold and sent to hospitals or shelters...just surviving this year has been a trial but did bring families together.
Off to work...stay well all...Geraldine =^.^=
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 28, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8908803

So great to hear from you Geraldine. I didn't realize that you are working. Cool, I am sure that you do see a lot of sad cases. I also didn't realize that Massachusetts was suffering with such disasters such as the power outages and things. I am so sorry to hear of this and I too hope that the worst is behind you all.

Oh yeah, the purchases you are making sound like common sense items that will definitely come in handy to have. I definitely become a whiny wimp when dealing with a power outage. We are a truly a very spoiled people. I am not good at roughing it and will be the first to admit it.

Again, great to hear from you and hope that you will again soon.

Ruby

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8908826

Last week Wednesday we got up to 3 "almost down" 40 feet tall Aspens. The last of the clean up will be today. We hired help and it was VERY reasonable.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8908935

Wow, very reasonable help! Now that's what I want for Christmas! Or, perhaps that is what I should give!

Well done all.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8908955

I was a crazy woman in the computer room yesterday. I threw out the spare kitty scratching post, got the extra cabinet donated and cleaned, cleaned and cleaned. Still needs more and I need to find a way to eliminate a few other things in there! Like go thru the closet but most of that stuff is my DH' not mine. I do NOT tosss other people's stuff!
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8912772

As we look back at our progress & ahead to more, here is something interesting -- scary, maybe -- from the Portland paper this morning:

Does all this clutter make my butt look fat?: Look around you. Is your coffee table covered with junk mail, old magazines and empty coffee cups? Is your nightstand so cluttered there isn't room for a paperback book? If you're a messy person, chances are you've got messy eating habits, too. Author and designer Peter Walsh contends that clutter makes you fat -- and the instant you start to get rid of it, you slim down. In "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?," he offers tips for eliminating clutter -- of both the physical and mental variety. "To lose the excess weight we carry, we have to re-think our homes and our lifestyles. We have to think: 'Is the life I'm living helping me to create the body I want?' Planning and routine are the key to clearing clutter and a healthy diet. To start, you need a plan for your kitchen."

Perhaps this is why we're getting so fat: More Americans are dealing with obesity and health issues that are directly to diet, and part of the reason is how strange our eating habits have become. 24/7 snacking has become the new norm, and food producers are changing their marketing strategies, product lines and hours of operation to keep up with the non-stop feeding frenzy. No wonder people are having trouble shedding pounds.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8913148

Ya, scary!!

Even though I am eating healthy and losing weight, AND decluttering, when you open my desk you KNOW a foodie works there. I have 3 different kinds of dried fruit in my desk. *sigh* at least its not sweets!
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8913151

Oh Pat, I know how hard you have been working, and to consider bariatric surgery is brave of you.
It's all part & parcel, isn't it?
Like, how many thin, happy people live in filthy houses? Probably none.
You are on an upward spiral! Probably moreso than I.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2011
12:14 PM

Post #8924059

Summerkid, that's an interesting article. I do know that when my house was at its worst, so was my health and weight. As my health improved, so did my house. As my mentality changed, my health and house improved more. I'm still at my highest weight, but I am healthier (if you go by the vital numbers on my chart) and I'm focusing now on weight loss. When my house was cluttered, I felt so overwhelmed and fatigued. Now that my house is clean and organized, I feel energized and happy to be in my home. My spirit feels like it's been set free, and I can now focus on improving my health even more. I eat healthier foods and get exercise.

Another thing that has changed for me is my socialization. When my house was cluttered and my health was in crisis, I had withdrawn from everything and everyone. I hid in my little nest. I was pretty much a hermit and dreaded having to get out of my cacoon. But now, I'm working in the public, dealing with people on a daily basis. And a big step for me this week was attending one of our charity functions which I help set up. I usually do a lot of the behind-the-scenes projects to get our functions ready. But I've never attended any of the functions--for fear of being in the public. Thurs night, I stayed and worked one of our functions. I was in a room with over 1000 people! And in the 6 hours I was there, I never panicked like I would have a couple years ago.

Freeing my house of clutter also has an impact on my spirit, or my spirit has an impact on my house, or maybe both. It all seems to change together--my physical health, my spirit, and my environment. And if your article is accurate, I should see some of this "fluffy tail" dimenishing soon. LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8924257

Butterfly, congradulations on your being OUT in the function and not just behind the scenes! You go girl!

My next goal is the computer room closet... going to clean it out so my husband has a nice convenient place to store his bassoon & other music instruments and "stuff".

I'm making headway in my sewing room too. Gradually I'm using up and finishing up the projects in there!! I'm going to have it cleaned and ready for a guest for Christmas.

I can not feel peaceful in a dirty or chaotic house.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8924358

Congratulations on your progress, Pat. I'm sure your husband will appreciate the space for his music stuff.

Doesn't it feel great to use up supplies and finish projects? And when there's empty space and everything is in its place, we can be at peace in our homes, can't we?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8924518

Yep!!! AND it does feel GOOD!!! I'm also very grateful that my husband is on the same page with me. I am much more "ruthless" about MY stuff than he is about my stuff. He will say "are you SURE you don't need some fabric to finish a project" when we are in Tri-Cities, the closest place with fabric. My EX husband would simply "buy another" rather than keep track of his tools and stuff then put it away. I had my own set of tools rather than attempt to use his!
ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

December 20, 2011
4:54 AM

Post #8936662

What an interesting concept, but you are right.
We like to 'clutter' and hide ourselves in it!!
It is hard to break this thinking...we feel 'safe' in our little cocoon...being a hermit among our things does lead to unhealthy eating.
Got all Christmas presents wrapped so they can leave the house...less clutter there...I buy sales and clearance items that I think all will like so it adds up the 'clutter' but they get more nice gifts that way.
Does eating my blueberry preserves count as clearing clutter? LOL
Merry Christmas all...
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8937041

blueberries=health!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 25, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8942457

Thanks for sharing the article Summer. Peter Walsh wrote a book some years back with the concept that IT IS ALL TOO MUCH. I bought the book and scanned it, but can't say that I read it all or really picked up any better hints or tips than I have heard on this free resource. I have to admit that some of what may be called clutter at my place are books or pamphlets on de-cluttering. Duh!!!

During one of my book buying frenzies I also purchased a book titled Unclutter Your Mind. It is a good book for taking to the bathroom to pass the time. I read the complete book by reading several little one page ideas each trip to the potty. Earlier today I found the book hidden in the back of the bathroom vanity closet and put a book mark in it to give to my older son. He has come and gone today, but I forgot to give him the book. I will get it to him though because so much of the book are helpful tips on re-programming our thinking and he and I both need that terribly.

Good going on the weight loss Pat. I didn't realize that you had the surgery yet. I wish you the best of luck with it. I know that I am guilty of some pounds beginning to creep back up on me too. With the looks of all the many goodies that made their way to my place today, now is a horrible time to think of trying to diet.

Continued success to everyone battling the house clutter and weight issues. It can be done, one day at a time.

Ruby

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8944466

Last couple of weeks have not been "good" when it comes to my weight issues. The surgery is not yet scheduled, I have more hoops to jump thru and I NEED to get this complete!

I have made some headway on clutter and I'm going to see if my Sweetie will agree to putting his Bassoon on the sideboard rather than the kitchen table! At least I don't have to look at it when I come home when it's on the side board.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 28, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8945669

Oh okay Pat, you haven't had the surgery yet. I misunderstood. Oh gosh, how frustrating when speaking of red tape and the hoops a person has to jump through in order to get something done. I know that you must be really frustrated. Hopefully it will have all been worth it after it is over and done with.

I haven't had the time to think of clutter or de-cluttering the last month or so. Too busy with the holidays. I do suspect when I start packing up Christmas decor in a few days, I will once again see that I am keeping a lot of things that I will probably never use again as far as decor goes. A few things that I have I was afraid to sit out this year with my grand children staying here three afternoons a week and the younger of the two being in a stage where he has to pick up everything and examine it. I just didn't want to risk anything getting broken that means a lot to me.

I suppose that sending out about eight emails yesterday to family members telling them I am looking for new homes for some scrap booking supplies, is a bit of a positive. Last summer an on line friend asked if I would be interested in having some of her left over supplies. I said sure, maybe some day I will get in to scrap booking. Anyway, I became the new owner of three large boxes of brand new supplies and I will never use them all up. So, I wrote my sister in laws and my nieces and asked if anyone was interesting in having some of them and so far have heard back from one niece who wants some thing. So, at least a postage box of clutter will be leaving here soon.

I am also going to be rid of what is now serving as clutter when my husband goes to visit some of his family tomorrow. I have Christmas gifts for the three different families that he will take when he goes. That will open up a bit of floor space. My grand nephew visited here earlier today and I meant to send along some of the baked goods that are covering my dining room table. I forgot to do it, but will try to see him tomorrow and send some of those things away too. Not doing a whole lot to get rid of things, but every little bit helps.

Take care and keep us updated on your surgery Pat.

Ruby

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8946039

I have no insurance to cover this (my personal insurance thru made sure to EXCLUDE any bariatric surgery) so the hoops I am jumping thru are my surgeons. I just told my husband today that I'm blocking off some of my Friday to get this all scheduled. I have my info packet in the purse, I'm scheduled to see 8 out of 8 hours worth of client's tomorrow so unless there is a run on "no shows" and "cancel I'm sick" there will be no time to do any calling tomorrow.

I made a list of some of things I hope to accomplish this 2012, like COMPLETE several sewing projects. If they aren't DONE they are just clutter!
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

December 28, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8946148

Well I had a great day. De-cluttered the fridge and the freezer. I got on the scale this morning and I had gained 3 pounds. Anything sweet I could not get enough of and now it is either frozen or gone. I made up 7 different dinners from left over prime rib, short ribs and cooked potatoes. Of course, my OCD was in full bloom so it took me over 3 hours because between making dinners for freezing, I cleaned drawers, th fridge and the freezer..

I will check in after the first with my New Year resolutions. Happy New Year...Sharon.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8947168

WOW Sharon! I could use a little OCD to help me along LOL!
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8949403

Last night I got a surge of energy and decided I'd looked at the jumbled mess of the office closet of supplies and started pulling out the photo boxes of Christmas cards and other greeting cards, matching the cards to envelopes that fit, and pulling out cards that I'm giving to the thrift shop that I don't want. A lot came from my dear MIL and I got tired last night and left it laying on the floor and went to bed. First thing this morning, I started on that project again. What a job! Tomorrow I will tackle more off the shelves.

The next time we attend a Garden Club meeting, I'm taking back issues of Garden Gate magazine and only keeping 2010-2011 issues. I did that before and some man grabbed all of them. Mark FREE on some things and it's gone in a flash. I will not give up the nice GG Magazine 3 ring binders that I ordered though..they can get their own binders..Same for Fine Gardening magazines. I only have a year's supply of those.

K-Mart had clear shoe boxes for $1.79 the other day and I bought only 4 of them but want to go back for more. Hope they are still available. I'm throwing out some scrapbooking materials that I'd torn out with honorable intentions to put all the 47 yrs. of marriage in scrapbooks.. LOL! I don't have any creativitiy and lack lots of patience and that paper clutter will have to go!

I will soon be starting my Wintersowing project in a few weeks so need to get this closet finished. Bowling starts back up on Jan. 3rd. and I look forward to that again.

Let me guess what a lot of New Year's Resolutions will be! We're going to be right here all night; we don't go out anymore for festitivies or private parties. I wish all of you a Happy New Year and may it be prosperous, may you have good health and much happiness and inner peace.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8949592

I made a manageable list of expectations about being ready for Christmas next year. I think they are doable and heck, who knows? I might get them done! Like have presents bought by 11/20, chess tarts made in freezer by 12/1, etc.

I made a list of unfinished projects and drew up a montly timeline, one quilt per month. THAT will be much harder to accomplish. I'm going to declutter by FINISHING up projects. Yesterday I cleaned and sorted in my sewing room and PREPARED to work in there. I have Monday off and I expect to get working on projects. If I can get ONE project done on Monday I will feel great about my start. I have posted my project list in the room as a reminder.

We are headed to bed. It's not even 11PM here but the New Year will have to let itself in the door, we're tired!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #8950768

Pat, your timelines sound like great ideas and quite doable too. Setting goals is the first step to accomplishing them. You go, girl!!

Well, it's been a year since I started this thread. In that time, I have pretty much decluttered my house. I have a couple of pieces of furniture for sale currently but that's it. I managed to clear out everything I don't want. And I'll continue to re-examine everything I have to keep things neat and orderly.

One thing that's helped me stay focused and tidy is to simplify anywhere I can. This past summer, I gave away the last of my houseplants. At one time I had over 100 tropicals in my house each winter. It was just overwhelming. I've also gotten rid of excesses, freeing up space and energy. I've traded out furniture with lots of open shelves for furniture with doors and drawers to cut down on dusting. I've cut out anything that is unnecessary, like sending Christmas cards, chatting a lot on the phone, spending too much time on the computer, shopping just to make me feel better or to ease boredom, etc.

I now have more time to do charity work, play with my dogs, keep my house clean, go to the gym, hang out with friends, and learn new tricks. I felt like my stuff used to own me and control my space, time, and energy. And now the focus is back on the people in my live and positive experiences. I really used to hide in my house. But now, I go out with friends and family. I mix and mingle. I even worked one of our charity events--I actually stayed and was the checkout clerk at the event with about 1000 people present. A year ago, I never would have considered being out among 20 people, much less 1000!

I'm not sure which came first--getting healthier, physically and mentally or decluttering. They both seemed to happen simultaneously. Our homes reflect our spirits, I suppose. I'm just grateful for the changes. And I'm looking forward to this new year with all its new adventures. Can you believe it's 2012??

Happy New Year everyone!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 1, 2012
10:27 PM

Post #8950927

I get a declutter email daily and just this week it talked about furniture and getting rid of furniture we didn't want/ like/ had bad associations with etc so your post was very timely! I'm really enjoying the tips and motivation the email provides. Speaking of which, I need to take the vanity bench to Tri-Cities tomorrow. My cousin bought the bedroom set but forget to get the bench, I want that OUT of here!
ladyslipper8744
Monson, MA

January 5, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #8955448

Wow sounds like a 'busy' place!!
Praying all goes well with your health Pat.
I did well on Christmas, stayed in my $20 range for each...had to know what each really liked and shopped sales and clearances...I think they were all pleasantly surprised with all I bought. Working a Lowe's part time helped with clearance buys.
I got things I REALLY liked...preserves ( like it on my toast in am but want good ones with lots of fruit) also candied nuts, Peach Shnapps..(it helps at times to relax LOL). I don't like going into liquor stores so have family get these for presents.
It feels good knowing I did not use credit cards. Did have to store all, but since they were for presents I didn't count them as clutter. Put most in totes.
Ruby you are the 'backbone' for this page, love you and wish all a Happy, healthy, clutter reduction, New Year! =^.^=
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 9, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #8960765

Wow, I agree...this has been a busy place and all the works that you ladies have done is very encouraging.

Gosh Pat, I would say that you are certainly one very determined woman to take on the medical community and the upcoming surgery and pay out of pocket. Yep, you sound like this is going to be done, come he** or high water. The very best of luck in having things fall in to place and that the surgery and recovery go well and that you will be satisfied with your results. Keep us updated to progress please.

Sharon!!! I looked up your phone number yesterday because I need to contact you at some point and run a few financial considerations by you. I know your past employment history and I respect your knowledge and ability, so I will be calling when I can find a minute or two. It is wonderful to see you posting. I have missed you these past few months in which we are hanging out in different places. You sound very much like me in the way you do things. I call it getting side tracked, and I am a true master of it. I think you all have heard me say in the past that there will be one chore written on my to do list, but in reality there are about ten steps needed prior to doing the item on the list.

Pippi, good going on getting the office closet addressed. Last winter I did the greeting card bit too and it has been so nice this year not to have to search for ten minutes each time I needed a specific sort of card. Speaking of scrapbooking...I agreed last summer to take some scrap booking supplies off the hands of an on line friend who mentioned she had extras. Little did I know that over the summer months she would be mailing three very large boxes of every sort of supply a person could ever want. As soon as Christmas was over, I took a few days and went through the supplies which had been in the closet since last summer and divided them between my interested nieces. I still have more than I will ever use in a million years but even though I haven't yet begun the actual scrap booking projects I plan to do, I have made Birthday cards for my sons and they have both been really cute and I had a good time making them.

Psych, I agree with Butterfly Chaser that realizing our goals really helps in making them eventually come to fruition. Last year during or after the holidays I made up my mind that I was tired of running myself ragged and ending up resentful over the holidays, that this year I would be making the needed changes in order to enjoy the holidays versus resenting them. I am very happy to report that the self talk I did was successful and I made it through the holidays in a cheerful frame of mind and enjoyed them. For me that was a blessing.

BC, you have been such an inspiration to me. Hearing of how far you have come along in the year has been wonderful to hear and see. May each of your future endeavors bring you as much joy as the decluttering one has.

Geraldine...it is always great to see you posting. You see...you made up your mind to stick to a budget this year and it sounds as though things went great in the area of gift giving and receiving. I used to love shopping at Lowe's. I too get a real thrill when shopping their clearance items. I have quite a few special things from that store. My very best ever deal was in the garden center some years back when one early morning I found a tray of greatly reduced plants. I bought one that was marked fifty cents and it has since become one of my favorite all time plants. It is called a Money Plant and was originally marked at fourteen dollars and fifty cents. I am wondering if someone made a mistake it marking it so low. Anyway...it has definitely been one of my favorite purchases over the years.

Thanks to all for their input. So good to see everyone here. Thank you BC for starting this and so many other pertinent threads that I have really made a big difference in my ability to keep my house as uncluttered as possible. All you ladies are very important to me. Happy New Year to all.

Ruby

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #8960794

AAAAAAAAAccccccccccckkk!! What was I thinking? I agreed to teach a mini-class on rag quilting. the ONLY good news is that it meant I got to cut up and use up some more of my "clutter" in the form of jeans (that I use for jean quilts) and some more fabric that was on hand. In other words, I did get to use up some of the supplies that I am committed to reducing. I only purchased 1 yard of fabric, all the rest was "on hand" that I want used up and GONE!

I scheduled off work for a surgery hoop for later this month and will keep pressing forward.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 9, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #8960800

Awww... you know you love it Pat...teaching the class that is. hahaha I am sure that the students are very appreciative of your abilities and the fun things they produce. As you said, even though time is precious for you, you are at least cutting down on some of your main clutter. I suppose it is a matter of doing whatever it takes to get it gone.

You are doing great and don't forget it!!!

Ruby

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #8961369

I do love to teach classes, I just don't like having to PUSH so hard to get done in time!! I'm one of those people that want a handout prepared and be able to show the work in several different stages of progress.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #8961447

For my longarm-quilting business & other endeavors, I throw together quilt-sandwich samples that are 8.5x11" and unbound, showing either a technique, thread type or quilting motif. Might that work for you?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #8963212

Happy Birthday JuneyBug! Hope you are having a great day and year.

Would love for you to update us on all your life doings and decluttering successes. Aren't you moving soon? The best to you and yours.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 16, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #8969847

Oops...being someone who never checks the birthday list on Dave's, seems as though I have missed Juneybugs. Come on out Juney, I have told you in the past that I always love hearing from you. An update would be nice as Cole said.

A big wave hello to all others. Everyone please start sending success vibes my way...I hope to go through my pajama drawer this week and get rid of some of my rags. By the time I stop wearing some of the things, they are in the rag stage. For Christmas, I asked for lounging clothes and made a big mistake on ordering the wrong sizes. I am the type that is too lazy to send things back, so I need to find a home for a few things that I ordered that actually came and are too large. I never thought the day would come when I complained of something being too large for me. Hmmm...is that connected with age and a body shrinking? Ye Gads!!! Might be because I am sure the scale is going to read bit higher than this time last year, so it has to be the shrinking with age bit.

Anyway...downsizing the pj drawer and going through the different places through out the house that stores toiletries and the like and downsizing that collection too are things I want to address here soon. I have known for months that this is something needing doing, but have been involved with the holidays and pushed these things to the side.

So...great seeing those who posted since my last visit. Hope that life is treating everyone very decently. Have a good day all.

Ruby

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012

Post #8969976

I just went thru my sock drawer. I am like you Ruby, most should have been thrown out a long time ago!! I read a gREAT book on decluttering years ago. "It's here... somewhere!" and it gave a helpful hints that I have tried to incorporate into my daily living. I generally THROW out something that I bought the replacement for like pjs.

I have to attack the linen closet soon but not today! we have company coming for lunch. I worked oncall over the weekend and have today off.
Pat
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #8970040

Hello to everyone from 2012!
I am very pleased to read of your success in keeping the clutter at bay, Butterfly C. ( I almost shortened your name to But.Chaser before I realized how that sounds) ! ;-)
So good to read everyone's posts. I have fallen out of the habit, being too tired in the evening to have my computer time.

I had success decluttering myself in 2011. Lost 18lbs and have kept it off by exercising and portion control. I still overeat, just not as much. This year, I will try to lose the last 5lbs and then maintain, maintain, maintain. Rid myself of most of the "fat" clothes, even going so far as burning them. Whooppee!
I continue to struggle with self-discipline. I have not succeeded in getting all the unwanted stuff out of sheds and hiding places. Been making slow progress, and that is better than none. Tomorrow is another day!

Best wishes to all for a prosperous new year. And don't forget the tradition of cleaning out the old so the new can come in. Lunar New Year is this coming Monday, January 23rd, on my 2012 desk calendar. I wrote "Have this place CLEAN!" (ha,ha) on the date.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 16, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #8970052

Me again...taking a computer break. Well, I haven't tackled the pj drawer or toiletries jobs yet but am in the middle of straightening my kitchen counter that usually serves as a catch all. I was trying to remember how often I have to do this routine and I believe it would probably equal out to about quarterly. During those three or so months, things begin to pile high in one particular spot there. I am finding things today that I had forgotten I had. Lots of things have fallen in to areas that I cannot see easily and so I am finding some things I though I lost. I have a tendency to stick pieces of mail that need attention, but not immediate attention in that area, so am finding things that months later have lost their appeal and can be trashed. The process of cleaning this area was really tiring me, so I am taking a break and hope to get my momentum back up and finish up the project shortly. I have never so so many inks pens in one spot. Good grief, I could open an office supply store.

Anyway...I know that I will feel a lot better when the project is completed. I have been looking at that spot for some time now and feeling quite disgruntled about it all. It will be nice to pass by it and feel good about how it looks.

Huck, you have put your energies towards something that in the long run is much more important than whether we have clutter sitting around. The control over your over eating and not exercising enough in the past has been quite interesting to hear about. If I were you I too would be ultra proud of my accomplishments. I am glad that you pop in once in a while to say howdy and to encourage us and be an example of someone who has developed the discipline to take more control over their lives.

Hope that everyone is warm and that you are all having a great day.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #8970109

Huck, you're too funny!!

Congrats on the weightloss. I'm working on that too. It will be nice to clear out the "fat" clothes and have extra closet space again.

I am also learning to cook healthy foods. I'm doing a 21 day cleansing diet (like a vegetarian diet) with coworkers. Today is Day 9 and it really hasn't been so hard. I miss cheese! But cheese, eggs, dairy, meat, pasta, refined sugar, and breads are not allowed. I've lost 11 lbs in 9 days. And I'm learning a whole new way to cook. Yesterday, I made roasted veggies with herbs and spices and they are soooooooo good! I don't eat much because it doesn't take much to satisfy me when I give my body the nutrients it actually needs. I don't have cravings either. After the 21 days, I'll continue this lifestyle, but I'll add in the foods I miss in moderation. I'd been eating out everyday for the past year, and now I'll get back to eating out just once a week--as a treat. This is the year that I declutter myself of this excess weight.

Yesterday, I cleaned out my closet and found my favorite pair of dress shoes, which I thought my dog had eaten. I'm so thrilled!! I also bagged up some shirts and shoes to give to my neighbor. I also sorted thru some papers on my desk and filed some of them and took care of some of the items that needed action. And I hung up my new wireless doorbell. My old one quit working and I put off replacing it. I've missed visitors. If I'm here in the office, I can't hear people knock on the front door.

My 2012 resolutions are much the same as Huck's--continue decluttering myself and maintain my tidy house. Next, I have to get the yard in order and plant tons of veggies and herbs to use in new recipes. I'm longing for all the different flavors of basil!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #8971562

BC, I'd love to hear more about the cleansing diet. Can you send me a link or info? THANKS!

I have STACKS of incomplete packets on my desk at work. I have been so darn busy that I haven't found time to either put the forms in that they need or decide my time is too valuable and just CHUCK them. It's cheaper for the company to throw them out and then pay my wages to fix them. THAT's what I tell myself but I can't seem to be that wasteful...
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #8971582

Pat, this cleansing diet is basically a vegetarian diet--no meat, eggs, cheese, dairy, bread, or pasta. We're eating veggies, fruits, nuts, whole grains, just about anything you can find in nature. And we can eat as much as we want. Surprisingly, I get full fast. I'm using lots of herbs and spices and most of the food is full of fiber, so it doesn't take much to get full AND satisfied. I make fruit smoothies that are all fruit with maybe some spinach or a vegetable added inconspicuously.

The purpose of the diet is to reset the body's food cravings and clean out the salt and toxins. I'm sure the 11 pounds I've lost in 10 days is just all the water I retained from all the salty foods I was eating. I feel lighter on my feet and not bloated.

It's a great diet to follow for a period of time especially if you have acid reflux or ulcers or other digestive problems. The food is soothing and replaces a lot of the enzymes that we stop producing when we eat the high fat, high sodium diets. I actually cured my acid reflux a few years ago by doing this diet.

After the cleanse, you can add in other foods in moderation. And that's one thing the cleanse helps with. If you pretty much stick to the diet, you won't have bad cravings. For instance, I LOVE cheese. I generally have some everyday. I have several kinds in the fridge now. But for the past 10 days, I've wanted some, but not bad enough that I'd sabotage the cleanse. I can shake it off because I'm nutritionally satisfied on this diet. I ate a lot more food when I ate out and always seemed to be hungry.

The hardest part for me is learning to cook healthy foods. I can make several delicious, fat-filled, sugar-filled foods that have guests licking their plates. But healthy cooking is much harder. I am discovering soups. It's something we didn't have when I was growing up so I never liked them. But I've made a 15-bean cajun soup. And today I'm attemption my first pot of chili--vegetarian style of course. The roasted vegetables I make are my favorite way to have veggies so far. I make two huge trays at a time so I can just reheat them. My brother just loved them the other night and wanted to know how to make them. They'll go good with everything--spaghetti, salad, steak, soup, etc. I just need to come up with more variety and I'll be all set on my goal.

I'm sorry, I don't have a link to the diet. It's more or less a plan that we ladies at the office came up with--more or less just getting back to the way man was meant to eat--by living off nature. Fast food places were never meant to be a lifestyle but rather just an infrequent treat for an overworked mom, I think. In many cases, we can make the same foods ourselves in a much healthier way.

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #8971706

Hi ms. Butterfly, I have a question about roasting your vegt. Are you aloud to use olive oil, or just roasted plain. I would like to try this way of eating because I had all the sideeffects of eating rich foods. As a prof. cook, I have to cook the way the people like it, in the church I feed 80 people. But when I go home I would like to eat healthy , I hardly ever eat out, but it feels like I should be lighter at least 30 lb. I roast my vegt. like sw. potatoes, red potatoes ruthabega and carrots but I use olive oil with spices.I have found the Olive Garden restaurant's Minestroni soup, it is very good and has no chicken stock it is all vegt. Are you aloud rice, or that is a no-no. I know everybody wants to loose weight in the new year, I just want to feel better, since I have to work a few more years. It is hard to watch your eating habbit when you handle food all day. Thanks for your answer ahead of time. Etelka
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #8971743

Hi Etelka,

I know what you mean. I get meals for my mom everyday and she will ONLY eat fast food. It's amazing that she weighs only 96 lbs. Right now she's hooked on a McDonalds burger, milk shake and coke--everyday. It's hard to go pick up fast food for her and not get some for myself too. But I'm learning to eat before I go get her dinner. Then I don't even feel the urge.

We can use olive oil and brown or wild rice. We also use butternut squash in our roasted veggies. It's delicious! You can add in mushrooms, green peppers, tomatoes and other veggies about 15 minutes before your other veggies are done. Then they won't cook to mush. I like to brown my veggies just a little. I like that little bit of crunch. The potatoes almost taste like potato chips then. And the sweet potatoes are like candy--even without adding sugar. Mmmmm, MMmmm.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #8971775

Thank you very much, I will have to start on Thursday, tomorow I will cook 40 lb of beef and make beef stew with white rice and green beans for the church. Must have corn bread, so I just have to delay the beginning. Thanks again. Etelka
P.S. I have traveled trough Arkansas, and a nices place I have seen was in Mina Ar. The mountains whare beutifull and I wish I can go back again. You probobly say whats in Mina, lots of chicken farms, but waiting for the red light to change, it was very nice veiw.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #8971886

If you like Mina, you would really love Hardy, Ark on Spring River. Mountains everywhere! Lots of water and beautiful scenery. And in the summer, there are lots of activities--craft fairs, The Arkansas Traveller skit performed in an outdoor theater, canoe trips, white water rafting, and just lots of natural, outdoors activities. If you get a chance to come back thru, check out Hardy, Mountain Home, Blanchard Springs Caverns, etc.

Oh man, I'd LOVE some cornbread!! Eat an extra piece for me, will ya??
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #8972303

The cleanse sounds phenomenal. I'm a vegetarian & tend toward a raw-foods diet just on my own without being all Gestapo about it. I'll testify to the fact that cravings can be just habit.

Right now I'm making soup stock from leftover veggie scraps that have been piling up in the freezer. For me, this is the No. 1 way to start putting great taste into healthy foods. It smells divine! Each stock tastes different; sometimes I add half a lemon. You can use it for sauces, gravy, anywhere you need liquid.

I mostly cook just for myself (I do eat seafood & shellfish, and once a year get an organically raised, humanely killed, heritage-breed turkey from a local farmer for Thanksgiving) ... so can let my body steer the way. So I don't eat much bread, pasta or dairy either though there is always different kinds of cheeses in the fridge.

You know what I crave day-in, day-out & just bought $15 worth? CELERY.
I can never get enough celery. Or cucumbers.,
But chocolate chips will sit in the baking cabinet for months.

I think this is a really good topic. Maybe it needs its own thread?
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2012
12:57 AM

Post #8972326

I am a carb addict! The doc was telling me that every pound of weight equals 3 on your joints.
Yikes, no wonder mine hurt. I do know that lots of sweets make me feel lethargic.

I will give it a try.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 18, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #8972782

Very interesting...looks like a new thread topic to me. The roasted veggies do really sound great and while reading this, I was salivating. Might be lunch time ya'll.

Anyway...the eleven pounds weight loss is great BC. Keep it up and keep us updated.

Ruby

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #8973540

I did it... I gave in and cleaned up two whole piles off my desk at my office. I sorted and "fixed" packets that a former employee had done wrong. I still managed to have a whole pile of stuff to throw out. WOW does it look better! I'm so pleased I finally go it done.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #8973565

Congrats, Pat! I know you feel great about it. Clutter or anything undone just eats away at our serenity, doesn't it?
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #8973570

Kudos. We're all making such progress, aren't we? But is there anyone who feels overwhelmed & hopeless now, with all the kerfuffle of the holidays behind us? Speak up! We're all in this together!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #8974037

Having that mountain off my short filing cabinet made my desk look twice a big! My filing cabinet butts up against my desk and is used an extension of my desk. I have such short arms everything I need has to be pulled in close to me. My phone etc is in the middle of the desk! LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 19, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #8974778

Way to go Pat. I know that is a load off your mind...I know I always feel a sense of accomplishment whenever I have done any sort of clean up work. I did the end of my kitchen counter earlier this week, and it is so nice to walk by and see a cleared spot versus old mail, a stack of books, and other number of things that shouldn't have been sitting there.

Summer, the week that it took me to "un-do" Christmas was along the lines of the same amount of work as "doing" Christmas. I had made up my mind, by doing a lot of self talk throughout the year that I wasn't going to stress over things this holiday...and I succeeded. I did find myself getting a bit grumpy and feeling put upon when it came to taking things down and putting away. I hadn't noticed this being the case in years past, because I believe I somehow started getting stressed out and resentful early in December and it carried through until some time in January when things were all put back in place. I suppose I will need to add undoing the holidays to my self talk this year, so I don't end up feeling bad about it next year.

I know that many folks suffer with Seasonal Affective Disorder and that my play in to a lot of folks moods during this time of the year. I have to pay close attention to my moods, because they can plunge at any time for no rhyme or reason. Last late winter/early spring I went in to a real funk. I had experienced several Urinary Tract Infections last year and it seemed as though depression was a symptom that occurred with them each and every time. It became bothersome enough that I discussed it with my doctor and his thoughts are maybe that the antibiotic I was using which was Cipro, was negating the healing affects of my antidepressant which is Zoloft. Upon realizing that may have been the culprit, I thankfully have had no further UTI's and no need for Cipro. Next time I have that type of infection, the doctor will prescribe something other than Cipro.

I have to be ever vigilant, or my mood will take a nose dive plunge, and it is terribly difficult to get through those times. I put staying healthy mentally and physically at the very top of my to do list every day. Having dealt with so many health issues over the years, I am very intuned to when something odd is happening to my body and know that I need to explore further when I am just not feeling as well as I want to.

Anyway...if you are having some difficulties with the holiday let down or anything...I encourage you to talk about it and see if you can find something that you might be able to do differently in order to begin feeling better as quickly as you can. Good luck.

As always...thanks for being here ladies.

Ruby
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #8975012

Ruby, do you get plenty of Vitamin D? I take 2,000 units a day & can always tell a difference when consistent about it (for one thing, my nails grow like weeds, not sure what the connection is there). My doctor says almost all women out here are severely deficient.

And I know this sounds simple, but don't forget to drink those 64 ounces of water. There have been times that I thought I was depressed but was actually just dehydrated. Silly girl!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 20, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #8975777

Two excellent points summer. I too have had times in the past that my mood could be corrected depending upon what I was putting in my mouth at the time. I am okay on the Vitamin D end, or was a while back when doctor checked my levels. I too know of many women who have the Vit D deficiency and that is why I wanted the doctor to check my levels out.

I will admit to drinking a lot less water than I have heard is healthy. Seems like I would like it more because that is about the only thing that ever touched my dad's lips and he drank loads of it. For a while I was drinking a lot of Cokes. For almost five years I was having really swollen ankles which several doctors checked for different reasons and nothing was ever found until this past summer when I mainly began drinking kool aid during the day and realized after a month or so that my ankles were no longer swelling to the extent they had been for all the years that I was drinking two or three Cokes a day. I now only drink a soda every now and then. I am not sure what was in them that created this problem all of a sudden because I had never had the swelling problem before to any extent.

Anyway...again, good tips and our nutrition and liquid intake are both two good places to start our search if we are not feeling quite up to par. I will try to remember that in the future. Thank you.

Ruby

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #8976710

my boss gets nasty joint pain if she drinks pop. I should be in working on the next quilt... but I'm catching up on email and DG. It's been a couple of days since I could use my home computer.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 22, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #8977452

Good to have you back online Pat. Interesting about the sodas affecting people in these odd ways. I will have to do some research and see what I can find out.

Have a good one all.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #8977495

Sodas contain lots of Sodium, thus the name "soda". Sodium causes you to retain fluid. And the carbonation in sodas bloats you. So if you drink sodas, you'll notice swelling in some part of your body. The caffiene in sodas also lead to high blood pressure and circulatory problems. If I remember correctly, the caffiene constricts blood vessels, so the older you get, the worse this side effect can be for you since your arteries probably already have plaque, making the bloodflow more restricted.

Also, the sugar and the salt in sodas can form crystals in your kidneys, and these crystals grow into painful stones. The dehydration caused from sodas help the crystals grow faster because you're not consuming enough water to keep the tiny crystals flushed out of your kidneys.

I used to drink about 10 sodas a day when I worked in construction. I nearly passed out a few times due to dehydration I know now. I also developed lots of kidney stones that have NOT been fun. The stones also led to other problems and I've had a few expensive surgeries (when I should have been gardening). When I went to the doctor the first time for the stones, he said I was chronically dehydrated. HUH? How is that possible? I drink nearly a 12-pack of Dr. Pepper a day! He exclaimed, "That's WHY!" And he went on to explain things to me. It took me a month of gradually decreasing to completely weane myself off sodas, and now I only drink water. My blood pressure had gotten so high that I was at stroke level; they almost put me in the hospital as a precaution. Getting off the sodas (or any caffiene) immediately lowered my bp.

There is really no nutrition at all in sodas. A soda is a toxin to your body and that's why people who drink them notice issues. Your body is telling you it doesn't want it. I occasionally drink a soda when I'm at a restaurant. But it makes me so jittery, so that's a good deterrant for me. I have not kept any in the house since I weaned off them about 20 yrs ago.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #8977864

I drink more than 2 liters of plain water at work but confess to 2 @ 12 oz of pop also. One at lunch of diet pop and frequently ONE more in the evening. I probably need to give them up totally and see what happens. FEELING good should be a GREAT incentive!
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #8978115

I wouldn't call it conclusive, but some evidence has surfaced, including a 14-year international study, that even 2 sodas a week can double your risk of pancreatic cancer. Regular pop, I think; they apparently didn't look at diet stuff.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 25, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #8981834

Wowzers!!!! Great information BC. Good grief, I knew they would be classified as junk food, but gosh they ought to have the skull and crossbones on the label too. Horrible!!! Anyway...I certainly saw an improvement when I stopped drinking them so often. I too am guilty of wanting the taste of one every so often, but not even once a week, so that is great improvment for me for sure.

Recalling my brother and a weight loss he had at one point some years back now reminds me that the only thing he did in terms of making a diet change was to get off sodas. He must have dropped about twenty pounds of so and I don't believe he was a big user of the product to begin with.

More and more evidence of needing to just Say No. hahhaha

Very interesting, thanks for your input gals. I will think of each of you the next time I go to grab for one.

Ruby

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America