Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Palms and Cycads: will this hurt my palm?

Communities > Forums > Palms and Cycads
bookmark
Forum: Palms and CycadsReplies: 3, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kays_camelot
Port Sanilac, MI

January 1, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8287142

When returning to our Florida home after 8 months "up north" I see these white spots on my small Sago Palm. What should I do?

Thumbnail by kays_camelot
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kays_camelot
Port Sanilac, MI

January 1, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8287146

The trunk is really heavy with this white stuff.

Thumbnail by kays_camelot
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

January 1, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8287335

It's actually a cycad and not a palm. But that's scale you've got there, it can really damage the plant. There's lots of different approaches to getting rid of them, although long term they often still come back.

You can clean most of them up with a strong jet of water and a bit of a scrub. But usually they're still in the soil and will come back. Some people use Neem Oil and others just go for the 'big guns' and use chemicals. You should be able to check around gardening stores and see what's available in your area. They might also be able to make a recommendation which is the most suitable product they have.

You can get a treatment for the soil to reduce the risk of any re-infection. Some people swear by coffee grounds claiming it will even prevent any come back by the scale.

But first up if I were you I'd hose and scrub now to remove most and then look for other long term treatments, either organic or non-organic as you prefer.
kays_camelot
Port Sanilac, MI

January 2, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8288667

Thank you for your help. I'll get out my trusty hose right away.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Palms and Cycads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
help repot ponytail palm abigailfaith 15 Mar 18, 2008 12:40 AM
2000 year Phoenix seed germinates growin 3 Jun 17, 2008 3:30 PM
Help Treating for Scale on Sago Palm spicerd 36 Jan 28, 2010 5:04 PM
How to propagate a pony tail palm dogmansis 9 May 24, 2008 12:29 PM
Sago palm turning yellow deb741 17 Apr 17, 2008 6:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America